München/Munich official thread

Comments

• bobaboba Posts: 11
    pantelis79 wrote:
    Thanks pal!

There is a train from Munich to Katowice (not direct; you have to change once) that leaves Hauptbahnhof on 23:45 and arrives at Katovice on 13:55, this should be a good one to catch.

I wouldn't put much hope on this train if I were you. The shows in the Olympiahalle usually start around 20:00 with the main band coming on at 21:00. If you're lucky it'll all be over by 23:00. But... you then have a good 10 to 15 minute walk (including getting out of the venue time) to the nearest underground station. The trains run every 10 minutes but you have to go into town to Marienplatz and change to go to the Hauptbahnhof.

If you really want to get this train you're going to have to leave the show early... and no-one wants to do that.

Think about other arrangements if you really want to go to Kato.

Don't want to put a downer on it just want to make sure you're going into it knowing how it works.

PS. anyone waiting for the public sale, there'll be no probs getting tickets on Saturday. Munich shows don't sell out that quick. For example, Coldplay were on sale for nearly six months and you could still get tickets on the day. Same with Placebo. Even Bowie took a while. I think though, in PJ's case, you might struggle to get a ticket after a week or so, so don't hang around.

Good websites are:

http://www.muenchenticket.de
    http://www.ticketbox.de
    http://www.kartenhaus.de (ticketmaster basically)
    http://www.getgo.de (already mentioned - they have very high admin/postage charges though)
    http://www.eventim.de (getgo's owner)
    http://www.tickets.de (the only agency mentioning it so far)

Anyways, good luck!

Bob
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    Bob Maubry wrote:
    I wouldn't put much hope on this train if I were you. The shows in the Olympiahalle usually start around 20:00 with the main band coming on at 21:00. If you're lucky it'll all be over by 23:00. But... you then have a good 10 to 15 minute walk (including getting out of the venue time) to the nearest underground station. The trains run every 10 minutes but you have to go into town to Marienplatz and change to go to the Hauptbahnhof.

Bob

Bob, could you let me know how parking is around there? We'll be coming in from Vienna by car some time during the day. Should I park there and take the train into the city and back or is it still possible to get a decent parking space before the show? I've been to München countless times for business in the last years and never managed to see anything of the city, so I'd like to take this opportunity.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Can I bring my own bottle of water into arena? And what about bags? Probably I'll come to Munich from Prague by train or bus, so I'll not be able to leave bag in car or so...

And one another question for Munich citizens. Is there any cheap accomodation close to Olympiahalle (if yes, for how much approximately)? I will have to stay overnight, because the first train back home runs in the morning.

...and some more tips & trick will help, i have never been abroad at the concert.

And finally I try to repeat my question in this thrad also: Is there somone, who plans to go to Munich from/through Prague by car and back then? I'm going to share expenses for fuel of course and may participate in driving.

Thanks for answers.
    * keep on rockin' *
  • Bob Maubry wrote:
    Think about other arrangements if you really want to go to Kato.

Don't want to put a downer on it just want to make sure you're going into it knowing how it works.
    Thank you for the info, Bob! So, I think I should find another way to get to Katowice (I have already bought tickets for the show).

Could you tell us when the underground stops working at night and when does it start in the morning? This should be useful.
    2006/09/30 Athens, 2007/06/12 Muenchen, 2007/06/13 Katowice, 2007/06/18 London, 2009/08/13 Rotterdam, 2009/08/15 Berlin, 2010/06/30 Berlin, 2010/07/10 Lisbon, 2011/09/03 Alpine Valley, 2011/09/04 Alpine Valley, 2012/07/07 Stockholm, 2012/07/08 Oslo, 2012/07/10 Copenhagen, 2014/06/16 Amsterdam, 2014/06/17 Amsterdam, 2018/06/18 London, 2018/07/01 Prague, 2018/07/03 Krakow, 2018/07/05 Berlin...
    Sonja_S wrote:
    Bob, could you let me know how parking is around there? We'll be coming in from Vienna by car some time during the day. Should I park there and take the train into the city and back or is it still possible to get a decent parking space before the show? I've been to München countless times for business in the last years and never managed to see anything of the city, so I'd like to take this opportunity.

Parking's OK I think, but a little limited. I would recommend getting there early and spending a bit of time in town. Take the U3 down to Münchner Freiheit and just walk around...
    modrej wrote:
    Can I bring my own bottle of water into arena? And what about bags? Probably I'll come to Munich from Prague by train or bus, so I'll not be able to leave bag in car or so...

Don't know about bottles to be honest. Your bag should be no problem, they'll probably want to have a quick look through, though.
  • goldstargoldstar Posts: 256
    ordered tickets during the 'blitz' that occured 2 nights ago.
    just got my 2nd email.
    it's official.
    i'm coming.
    yyyyyyyyeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!
    sign THE petition!!!
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/pearljam_to_israel/index.html

10/03/05 philadelphia
    05/09/06 toronto
    05/10/06 toronto
    06/01/06 e. rutherford
    06/03/06 e. rutherford
    09/30/06 athens
    06/12/07 munich
    pantelis79 wrote:
    Thank you for the info, Bob! So, I think I should find another way to get to Katowice (I have already bought tickets for the show).

Could you tell us when the underground stops working at night and when does it start in the morning? This should be useful.

I'll have to check again but I think you can get a regular train until about half 12 and then it becomes a bit dodgy. There are, however, the night trams all over the place. They run at least once an hour. I think also the thrains start up again around 5:30ish. I'll have a look at the weekend and get back to you on that.
  • DercheefDercheef Posts: 732
    modrej wrote:
    Can I bring my own bottle of water into arena? And what about bags? Probably I'll come to Munich from Prague by train or bus, so I'll not be able to leave bag in car or so...
    Bottles are never allowed. Maybe it would be the best to put your bag in a locker at the station.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    Bob Maubry wrote:
    Parking's OK I think, but a little limited. I would recommend getting there early and spending a bit of time in town. Take the U3 down to Münchner Freiheit and just walk around...

Danke!
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • goldstar wrote:
    with sugar on top !
    Pretty Please w/ Sugar on Top & a Cherry
    I wish I were the verb "to trust" and never let you down
  • Dercheef wrote:
    Bottles are never allowed.
    Last summer at two concerts I attended in Germany you could bring in a tetrapack of 1lt with anything you wanted except alcohol I think.
    2006/09/30 Athens, 2007/06/12 Muenchen, 2007/06/13 Katowice, 2007/06/18 London, 2009/08/13 Rotterdam, 2009/08/15 Berlin, 2010/06/30 Berlin, 2010/07/10 Lisbon, 2011/09/03 Alpine Valley, 2011/09/04 Alpine Valley, 2012/07/07 Stockholm, 2012/07/08 Oslo, 2012/07/10 Copenhagen, 2014/06/16 Amsterdam, 2014/06/17 Amsterdam, 2018/06/18 London, 2018/07/01 Prague, 2018/07/03 Krakow, 2018/07/05 Berlin...
  • DercheefDercheef Posts: 732
    pantelis79 wrote:
    Last summer at two concerts I attended in Germany you could bring in a tetrapack of 1lt with anything you wanted except alcohol I think.
    Yeah 1 litre tetrapacks are sometimes allowed at outdoor shows. Never been to an indoor show where they were allowed though.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • SiR85SiR85 Posts: 13
    Hi!!!!!!!!
    Anyone with spare tickets for Munich or Katowice??????????

Vale
  • Munich is the first stop in our Munich, Katwice, (possibly Vienna), London PJ tour!!!

So, excited... I've been to Europe, but none of us have ever been to Germany before, can't wait to see it. I hear it is beautiful!

Also... if you're going to Katowice some people are organizing a charter bus that will drive through the night and get there in plenty of time for the Poland show. PM Bartek if you're interested.

Can't wait!! Where's the Munich PJ Pre-party???????
    "Holly f**k, that was so amazing, I just forgot who I came here to see!!" - Courtesy of the guy in the U2 t-shirt standing next to me in Aloha Stadium, Post PJ
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    LukinTimer wrote:
    The Hofbrauhaus, surely?
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
    Uhm, sounds great. But I think I got 10c for this :D

Dunno, my friend and I were gonna buy GA tix anyways, so we'll see...
    Thats a good idea, acutally, front row mikes side :)

Gotta think, gotta think till saturday. hehe ;)

Ill be seeing you too this tour, Rob. Awesome! ETB reunion :)
    I inherited an ETB badge from Gitta in November. Mind if I represent?

The bus is gonna be interesting. I'll have my big backpack with me- gonna have to figure out where to put that since it looks like the bus needs to leave right away. Hopefully we'll be able to access the bus before the show.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    OK-we're going to Munich. Very excited. Question for you people who know the area-what shouldn't we miss and what should we do while we are there? We're only doing the one concert and are spending the rest of our time just getting to know the country. Any suggestions? :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • LukinTimer wrote:
    Munich is the first stop in our Munich, Katwice, (possibly Vienna), London PJ tour!!!

So, excited... I've been to Europe, but none of us have ever been to Germany before, can't wait to see it. I hear it is beautiful!

Also... if you're going to Katowice some people are organizing a charter bus that will drive through the night and get there in plenty of time for the Poland show. PM Bartek if you're interested.

Keep your eyes on this thread in the next few days. Hoping to announce something for a Munich pre-party soon. :D
    wolfbear wrote:
    OK-we're going to Munich. Very excited. Question for you people who know the area-what shouldn't we miss and what should we do while we are there? We're only doing the one concert and are spending the rest of our time just getting to know the country. Any suggestions? :)
    The tourist brochure I just picked up lists these places:

Maienplatz Square
    Castle Nymphenburg
    Deutsches Museum
    Hofbrauhaus
    Neuschwanstein Castle
    Hinny wrote:
    The tourist brochure I just picked up lists these places:

Maienplatz Square
    Castle Nymphenburg
    Deutsches Museum
    Hofbrauhaus
    Neuschwanstein Castle
    Thanks! I printed it out. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • wolfbear wrote:

How many days total will u be in Germany?
    How many days total will u be in Germany?
    Probably 10 days or so. :)
  • wolfbear wrote:
    Probably 10 days or so. :)

Oh yea u have alot of time to see the sights. Munich also it's my favorite Europe city. Try also the English Garden. It's bigger then central park. It's in the center of the city. It has two large beers gardens with great food and nice views of the city. Beware of this if you go there. Some people in the park sunbathe nude. lol And funny its always the old dudes. Last I was there I was with a female friend. She couldn't stop laughing. ha
    Oh yea u have alot of time to see the sights. Munich also it's my favorite Europe city. Try also the English Garden. It's bigger then central park. It's in the center of the city. It has two large beers gardens with great food and nice views of the city. Beware of this if you go there. Some people in the park sunbathe nude. lol And funny its always the old dudes. Last I was there I was with a female friend. She couldn't stop laughing. ha

Thanks for the tips. I printed them out. Sounds like fun, but then again we always have fun where ever we go. :D
  • wolfbear wrote:
    Thanks for the tips. I printed them out. Sounds like fun, but then again we always have fun where ever we go. :D

I'm sure will see each other's names in this thread more often as the show gets closer. Having fun with whatever you do is always a good thing. :D
    I'm sure will see each other's names in this thread more often as the show gets closer. Having fun with whatever you do is always a good thing. :D
    Hope to see you there. :)
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/germany/do-your-wurst/2006/11/01/1162339922930.html

All about eating and drinking.

I'm hungry and thirsty for the Munich style already. Yay offal!
    Hinny wrote:
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/germany/do-your-wurst/2006/11/01/1162339922930.html

All about eating and drinking.

I'm hungry and thirsty for the Munich style already. Yay offal!
    Bratwurst is our fav! Good beer too! You really hit the nail on the head with that one. haha :D
  • wolfbear wrote:
    Bratwurst is our fav! Good beer too! You really hit the nail on the head with that one. haha :D

Not just good beer......great beer. :D Also I need to refresh myself in speaking german again. It's been a few yrs now. Oh I can't wait to go back.