Options

Call to boycott stores with Black Thursday Sales

1235»

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,894
    mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

Screw people that want to shop. It's about the poor saps that have to work.

ok, so why is thanksgiving the only day these people can choose to get together with family? it's a bullshit "holiday". just like all of them. it used to be a celebration of a successful harvest that year. most of us don't harvest anything anymore. except big screen tv's.

screw people that want to shop? I say screw the brats who complain about the privelege of having a job. if they wish to go out and harvest, and then take a day off to celebrate it, go right ahead. otherwise, get your ass to work.

I always thought it was a hallmark holiday just like mother's and father's day.
    well it started out as a legitimate celebration of a successful harvest of the year's crops. then it turned into what north america turns everything into: a gluttonous clusterfuck.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,677
    edited December 2015

mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

ok, so why is thanksgiving the only day these people can choose to get together with family? it's a bullshit "holiday". just like all of them. it used to be a celebration of a successful harvest that year. most of us don't harvest anything anymore. except big screen tv's.

screw people that want to shop? I say screw the brats who complain about the privelege of having a job. if they wish to go out and harvest, and then take a day off to celebrate it, go right ahead. otherwise, get your ass to work.

well it started out as a legitimate celebration of a successful harvest of the year's crops. then it turned into what north america turns everything into: a gluttonous clusterfuck.

:lol: Pretty much, from what I can tell. Canadians celebrate it - it is a federal holiday. However, it's not anywhere near the kind of big deal as it is in the US. It's really just an excuse for a turkey dinner. That's it. So yeah, still bullshit, but not a big deal like south of the border. And it's always on a Monday in October. So basically just a regular 3 day long weekend with stuffing. There is absolutely no retailer hoopla connected to it. There are grocery store specials to accommodate the dinner, and that's about it.
    Retailers are half-heartedly trying to shove black friday down our throats (on the same day as it is in the US, so no relation to our Thanksgiving), but people aren't really going for it. There a few well-behaved lines at a few big stores apparently (I've never seen one), but again not a big deal.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,894
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

:lol: Pretty much, from what I can tell. Canadians celebrate it - it is a federal holiday. However, it's not anywhere near the kind of big deal as it is in the US. It's really just an excuse for a turkey dinner. That's it. So yeah, still bullshit, but not a big deal like south of the border. And it's always on a Monday in October. So basically just a regular 3 day long weekend with stuffing. There is absolutely no retailer hoopla connected to it. There are grocery store specials to accommodate the dinner, and that's about it.
    Retailers are half-heartedly trying to shove black friday down our throats (on the same day as it is in the US, so no relation to our Thanksgiving), but people aren't really going for it. There a few well-behaved lines at a few big stores apparently (I've never seen one), but again not a big deal.
    for sure. I laugh when I see retailers here in Canada trying to replicate it. it's just not worth it. "ooooohhhh, I can get $20 off a big screen tv? YAY". Nope. Don't give a shit.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com