Options

Call to boycott stores with Black Thursday Sales

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

rr165892 said:

It's a shit show for sure.And I fucking hate the over bombardment of Christmas shit.I hate this time of year.
    If peeps want to work and others want to shop.it is what it is.I don't like it so I won't shop.But I'm not going to be a hypocrite and scold them.Shit I hope my bartenders and food servers are working today.Im off work and DTP.

Hey Tex.I know you must really love this time of year.lol

I know it is next to impossible to find a bar that's open on Christmas Eve, and i think it sucks. Tons of people want to get together with their friends on Christmas Eve and go on a bender - all bars should remain open. The tips for the staff would generally be tremendous!
    Me and my friends used to be forced to go to the worst dump in town on Christmas Eve because all other bars were closed... and the place was always overflowing with friends getting together while they're all back in town for the holidays and don't want to spend the whole night watching TV with their parents, lol.
    Then why don't you open a bar and cash in?
    Because I don't aspire to be a bar owner.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    black friday disasters

https://youtu.be/9ZOTo1K_Kp0
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    edited November 2015
    The footage I saw today confirmed that my decision not to ever participate on Thursday or Friday after thanksgiving is absolutely the correct one , people are despicable I'd rather be with an animal !!
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    chadwick said:

black friday disasters

https://youtu.be/9ZOTo1K_Kp0

Now THIS is why people should boycott black Thursday and black Friday. The mentality behind those insane shopping battles and stampedes (which a lot of people consider entertainment and actually try to make things as crazy as possible just for fun) makes me want to puke.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,135
    I'm in Wilmington NC and ran out of film on my camera card and wanted to find out a price for a new one. Went to Best Buy only to find out they were closed yesterday until 5 pm then close at 2am. They were people waiting in line for two days....for what exactly through thanksgiving day. Times are certainly different now, they will come a time when they'll be open the whole day.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    edited November 2015
    I made it to the following places on Thanksgiving that weren't big box related:

- local grocery store
    -franchise coffee shop
    -gas station
    -fast food place for a breakfast sandwich

Again, why is there no hatred towards them? They've always been open on Thanksgiving. Big stores being open just started in like 2013. I think people just like to complain LOL
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    I like that I have a right to shop if I want during the holidays.
    Much like staff.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

callen said:

callen said:

I just don't understand the outrage i guess. My family loves it. Its fun to watch the chaos and to get the blu rays and CDs you want for 80% off.

If you work in retail it might suck to have to work Thanksgiving night but thats the nature of retail in America. I do prefer it starting on Friday tho. More fun

But many do work retail. And you "Fun" will result in many not spending time at home. Think every person that see's you I their stores hates your guts. Enjoy your consumerism. Fked up.
    a bit harsh, don'tcha think?

when I used to work shift work, people would usually be fighting over who got to work the holiday. big money.

And many are forced. And some do feel they need the money so feel pressured to work to make that little bit of money. We need more family time. We need more off time. We need less buying of plastic china crap.

I am bit harsh on this well because I listen to people with the traditional 9-5 talking shit. And those that don't have to work.
    you do what you do with the job that you have. when I worked shift, I'd have to work christmas fucking day. did it suck? yep. but hey, I knew that when I got that job it was 24/7/365. I could have gotten a different job. I was uneducated and untrained, so it was the job I could get at the time and I took the responsibility (and enjoyed the extra money) and dealt with it.

all holidays are man-made nonsense anyway. you don't need a faux holiday to spend time with family. that's a shitty excuse to not make family time. and honestly, it's not like ALL the people who get that day off are spending it with family anyway. that's an american utopian falsehood.

Having lived in country where stores closed early on week days. Half day Saturday and closed every Sunday can say it was wonderful.

We in US had two days. Just two days where stores were closed. Yes some still had to work, but many millions, for just this day, spent time with families. Extended families. I was so fortunate to hang with my nephews and nieces last two days. Few are in sales and so glad their stores weren't open or I wouldn't have had this quality time.

Fk this consumerism driven society.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Not everyone has family to spend the holidays with you know. And there are many others who don't really care about that anyway. In a lot of lives these happy family gatherings are a bullshit myth. In my experience, it is often these people who end up working the holidays.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    ^^^^
    You sound angry.
  • Options

^^^^
    You sound angry.

That must be some voice you are applying to me, because I'm not angry.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    Got some great deals this Thanksgiving and Friday on some practical needs (dress shirts, new pants, a new tie, etc). Also some toys, movies, and records.

I love Black Friday or Black Thursday. Whatever we call it now. This consumer driven society is awesome sometimes.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    callen said:

callen said:

callen said:

I just don't understand the outrage i guess. My family loves it. Its fun to watch the chaos and to get the blu rays and CDs you want for 80% off.

If you work in retail it might suck to have to work Thanksgiving night but thats the nature of retail in America. I do prefer it starting on Friday tho. More fun

But many do work retail. And you "Fun" will result in many not spending time at home. Think every person that see's you I their stores hates your guts. Enjoy your consumerism. Fked up.

when I used to work shift work, people would usually be fighting over who got to work the holiday. big money.

And many are forced. And some do feel they need the money so feel pressured to work to make that little bit of money. We need more family time. We need more off time. We need less buying of plastic china crap.

I am bit harsh on this well because I listen to people with the traditional 9-5 talking shit. And those that don't have to work.
    you do what you do with the job that you have. when I worked shift, I'd have to work christmas fucking day. did it suck? yep. but hey, I knew that when I got that job it was 24/7/365. I could have gotten a different job. I was uneducated and untrained, so it was the job I could get at the time and I took the responsibility (and enjoyed the extra money) and dealt with it.

all holidays are man-made nonsense anyway. you don't need a faux holiday to spend time with family. that's a shitty excuse to not make family time. and honestly, it's not like ALL the people who get that day off are spending it with family anyway. that's an american utopian falsehood.

Having lived in country where stores closed early on week days. Half day Saturday and closed every Sunday can say it was wonderful.

We in US had two days. Just two days where stores were closed. Yes some still had to work, but many millions, for just this day, spent time with families. Extended families. I was so fortunate to hang with my nephews and nieces last two days. Few are in sales and so glad their stores weren't open or I wouldn't have had this quality time.

Without these types of days, and without christmas, if we're being honest, the economy as we know it would collapse.

I hate consumerism as much as the next guy, but unfortunately the way our economy is structured, it is a necessary evil.

And just because you think its necessary to spend holiday time with family (and that is your right), does not mean eveyone else does, or even should.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947

callen said:

callen said:

callen said:

Without these types of days, and without christmas, if we're being honest, the economy as we know it would collapse.

I hate consumerism as much as the next guy, but unfortunately the way our economy is structured, it is a necessary evil.

And just because you think its necessary to spend holiday time with family (and that is your right), does not mean eveyone else does, or even should.

Looking at it strictly from a planetary survival perspective, this might actually be a good thing. Our consumer economy and bloated human population numbers combine to consume all of the resources the planet produces by August of each year. After that, everything we consume comes out of future year's resources. The end result is obvious. We are committing slow mass suicide.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Not everyone has family to spend the holidays with you know. And there are many others who don't really care about that anyway. In a lot of lives these happy family gatherings are a bullshit myth. In my experience, it is often these people who end up working the holidays.

No many many are forced to work. I know a few that wanted to be with their family.

Imagine having Tday meal with family but not able to drink or eat to much so you can be at target at five for work. Thousands had to do this.

And in US TDay is a big deal not like in Canada.

And it's two days! Two piddly days to stop buying crap or having some poor schmuck working a bar or be at football stadium serving drunk pricks beer.

So much is fucked with our society, think we can try some family time.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    brianlux said:

callen said:

callen said:

callen said:

Looking at it strictly from a planetary survival perspective, this might actually be a good thing. Our consumer economy and bloated human population numbers combine to consume all of the resources the planet produces by August of each year. After that, everything we consume comes out of future year's resources. The end result is obvious. We are committing slow mass suicide.

Plus, Christmas and black Friday or no Christmas or black Friday... The US economy is going to collapse. It's a matter of when, not if. The current system isn't indefinitely sustainable, and all empires collapse eventually. All one can do is hope it doesn't happen within their own lifetime (and just hope for the best for their kids and theirs and theirs and so on).
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited November 2015
    neat

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/tag/black-Friday

Once Black Friday rolled around, things didn’t get any better. For example, one analyst said that traffic at the Mall of America didn’t “look much busier than an average Saturday morning”…

At the Mall of America in Minneapolis, the largest in the country, Edward Yruma, managing director at KeyBanc Capital Markets, said he’s seeing less traffic than years past as well. He was there from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. last night and arrived again at 8 a.m. this morning.

“It doesn’t look much busier than an average Saturday morning,” said Yruma.
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

callen said:

callen said:

callen said:

Plus, Christmas and black Friday or no Christmas or black Friday... The US economy is going to collapse. It's a matter of when, not if. The current system isn't indefinitely sustainable, and all empires collapse eventually. All one can do is hope it doesn't happen within their own lifetime (and just hope for the best for their kids and theirs and theirs and so on).
    ^^^ So true. Sometime I wish I had a crystal ball so I could be better prepared but since I don't, we just do the best we can to keep our impact down, hope for the best and wish the planet good luck on a quick (in geological time) recovery when we're done here.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,489

Anyone that foregoes family dinner on Thursday to go god damn shopping needs to buy me some 12 gauge shells and let me do ya a favor. What a bunch of horseshit. Can't wait ONE fucking day and go on Friday. No wonder this country sucks. No fucking value on anything except materials.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,425
    ^I don't know what that's supposed to mean? Who is that? A Black Friday shopper in prison for killing someone over shit? Wouldn't surprise me. Or are you trying to suggest that as an avatar for me because of my post?
    The videos in this thread are all I need to justify the fact that people care more about material possessions than having dinner with their family and waiting 12 hours to shop. It's really fucking disgusting, honestly.

• Options

^I don't know what that's supposed to mean? Who is that? A Black Friday shopper in prison for killing someone over shit? Wouldn't surprise me. Or are you trying to suggest that as an avatar for me because of my post?
    The videos in this thread are all I need to justify the fact that people care more about material possessions than having dinner with their family and waiting 12 hours to shop. It's really fucking disgusting, honestly.

it is disgusting, but I wouldn't kill someone over it. :lol:

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

That's the guy that shot up planned parenthood in Colorado springs.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    I find the behaviour of the shoppers disgusting - the fights, the trampling, the grabbing, etc. But I think it's going way overboard to call them disgusting just because they choose to shop rather than spend time with their families. Not everyone is blessed with a family who is worth spending time with. Judging people JUST because they want to shop rather than have dinner with their family is REALLY judgmental IMO, especially when you don't know these people's family situations or family traditions. I personally judge them for wanting to be involved in that crazy, violent shopping madness. Going out of your way to contribute to public chaos and endangerment definitely seems like a more clear thing to evaluate and judge.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I find the behaviour of the shoppers disgusting - the fights, the trampling, the grabbing, etc. But I think it's going way overboard to call them disgusting just because they choose to shop rather than spend time with their families. Not everyone is blessed with a family who is worth spending time with. Judging people JUST because they want to shop rather than have dinner with their family is REALLY judgmental IMO, especially when you don't know these people's family situations or family traditions. I personally judge them for wanting to be involved in that crazy, violent shopping madness. Going out of your way to contribute to public chaos and endangerment definitely seems like a more clear thing to evaluate and judge.

I was referring to the assualt for merch behaviour. If people wish to shop instead of spend time with relatives, I can't say I blame them!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015

PJ_Soul said:

I was referring to the assualt for merch behaviour. If people wish to shop instead of spend time with relatives, I can't say I blame them!
    There are a lot of people that can't wait for the holidays to get away from the (extended) family.
    Black Friday madness is tame compared to some experiences of family get togethers.
    People shopping on the holiday may or may not have family. Either way they are doing what they want on the holiday.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    Screw people that want to shop. It's about the poor saps that have to work.
  • Options
    And fuck "shopping". Such a waste.
  • Options
    callen said:

ok, so why is thanksgiving the only day these people can choose to get together with family? it's a bullshit "holiday". just like all of them. it used to be a celebration of a successful harvest that year. most of us don't harvest anything anymore. except big screen tv's.

screw people that want to shop? I say screw the brats who complain about the privelege of having a job. if they wish to go out and harvest, and then take a day off to celebrate it, go right ahead. otherwise, get your ass to work.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

callen said:

ok, so why is thanksgiving the only day these people can choose to get together with family? it's a bullshit "holiday". just like all of them. it used to be a celebration of a successful harvest that year. most of us don't harvest anything anymore. except big screen tv's.

screw people that want to shop? I say screw the brats who complain about the privelege of having a job. if they wish to go out and harvest, and then take a day off to celebrate it, go right ahead. otherwise, get your ass to work.

I totally agree. People should shop when they want. Just don't fucking punch and trample people when you're doing it!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040

callen said:

I always thought it was a hallmark holiday just like mother's and father's day.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......