Options

Call to boycott stores with Black Thursday Sales

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

Anyone that foregoes family dinner on Thursday to go god damn shopping needs to buy me some 12 gauge shells and let me do ya a favor. What a bunch of horseshit. Can't wait ONE fucking day and go on Friday. No wonder this country sucks. No fucking value on anything except materials.

Nice.

Oh how the world would be better if people just let it out.

Of you shop thanksgiving day your selfish.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

I just don't understand the outrage i guess. My family loves it. Its fun to watch the chaos and to get the blu rays and CDs you want for 80% off.

If you work in retail it might suck to have to work Thanksgiving night but thats the nature of retail in America. I do prefer it starting on Friday tho. More fun

But many do work retail. And you "Fun" will result in many not spending time at home. Think every person that see's you I their stores hates your guts. Enjoy your consumerism. Fked up.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    11:35 PM. Only 25 more minutes! I can't stand it! Where my freaking wallet?! :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    how about we ban all stupid consumerist crap of buying shit we don't need.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    ldent42 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Stores are open thanksgiving, big deal. It s your choice whether or not to go. Almost a quarter of a million people will leave their families to attend three nfl games. To each their own.

They have nfl games on thanksgiving day?! That's nuts. Is it always in the same place?
    Yeah they always have games on thanksgiving. Pretty sure Detroit and dallas have always had a home game. This year add Green Bay to the list.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    mcgruff10 said:

ldent42 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Stores are open thanksgiving, big deal. It s your choice whether or not to go. Almost a quarter of a million people will leave their families to attend three nfl games. To each their own.

They have nfl games on thanksgiving day?! That's nuts. Is it always in the same place?
    Yeah they always have games on thanksgiving. Pretty sure Detroit and dallas have always had a home game. This year add Green Bay to the list.
    Oh dear. Won't people please stop to think about the poor stadium staff, and especially the millionaire football players, having to work on Thanksgiving?

.... Yeah, it really does seem odd that people only care about retail staff. All other staff for everything else on Thanksgiving - fuck you, no one cares! :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    callen said:

I just don't understand the outrage i guess. My family loves it. Its fun to watch the chaos and to get the blu rays and CDs you want for 80% off.

If you work in retail it might suck to have to work Thanksgiving night but thats the nature of retail in America. I do prefer it starting on Friday tho. More fun

But many do work retail. And you "Fun" will result in many not spending time at home. Think every person that see's you I their stores hates your guts. Enjoy your consumerism. Fked up.
    a bit harsh, don'tcha think?

when I used to work shift work, people would usually be fighting over who got to work the holiday. big money.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

callen said:

when I used to work shift work, people would usually be fighting over who got to work the holiday. big money.

That was my experience too. Back when this issue affected me or those around me, I NEVER heard of any issues among the staff. More than enough people were happy to work for extra pay.
    That said, that's in Canada, where extra pay is an obligation. In the US, that obligation only exists if the contract with the employee happens to state it. There is no law requiring extra pay on federal holidays.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    edited November 2015

callen said:

Yep. Everyone wants that time and a half pay. Good for them. One kid told me he loves it because of the fun the staff has dealing with such a crowd.

Am I supposed to also protest the grocery store down the street that sold me a case of water this morning? Or is it strictly big box retailers? Lol

And Callen ive been exercising my consumerism all morning online. Isnt it fun? After dinner taking the family for our annual BF trip to Target and the mall. Even gave a nice donation to St Jude's Childrens Hospital! Screw my spending tho right?
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

ldent42 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Oh dear. Won't people please stop to think about the poor stadium staff, and especially the millionaire football players, having to work on Thanksgiving?

.... Yeah, it really does seem odd that people only care about retail staff. All other staff for everything else on Thanksgiving - fuck you, no one cares! :lol:
    What about all the airport staff? Maybe in the future we cancel all flights on thanksgiving. Those poor poor people. ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

ldent42 said:

mcgruff10 said:

What about all the airport staff? Maybe in the future we cancel all flights on thanksgiving. Those poor poor people. ;)
    That sounds like a very humanitarian plan. I also suggest that hospitals be closed. =)
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

ldent42 said:

mcgruff10 said:

this x1000. i still think it's cuz the target-esque stores being open is new. I actually might have to run out to the store cuz I'm a dumbass and did not buy extra milk (i'm making potatoes)

Le Sigh.

Oh and BTW, cat food is 6 fucking dollars more today than it usually is. WTF Amazon. WTF.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dignin said:

Hahahaha that turkey might have more of a butt than Miley
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

ldent42 said:

mcgruff10 said:

That sounds like a very humanitarian plan. I also suggest that hospitals be closed. =)
    When I worked hourly I LOVED holidays. Id work as many hours as I could!!! Give me that money!!!
  • Options
    I've just received an email with a petition about how retailers are taking employees away from their families on thanksgiving.

I've decided to reverse my position. Normal operating hours Thanksgiving day, major sales, every store! Wooooooo
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    All I know is that the ma and pa stores close on this day.
    And
    The ma and pa stores wonder why box stores are shutting them down.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    It's a shit show for sure.And I fucking hate the over bombardment of Christmas shit.I hate this time of year.
    If peeps want to work and others want to shop.it is what it is.I don't like it so I won't shop.But I'm not going to be a hypocrite and scold them.Shit I hope my bartenders and food servers are working today.Im off work and DTP.

Hey Tex.I know you must really love this time of year.lol
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

It's a shit show for sure.And I fucking hate the over bombardment of Christmas shit.I hate this time of year.
    If peeps want to work and others want to shop.it is what it is.I don't like it so I won't shop.But I'm not going to be a hypocrite and scold them.Shit I hope my bartenders and food servers are working today.Im off work and DTP.

I know it is next to impossible to find a bar that's open on Christmas Eve, and i think it sucks. Tons of people want to get together with their friends on Christmas Eve and go on a bender - all bars should remain open. The tips for the staff would generally be tremendous!
    Me and my friends used to be forced to go to the worst dump in town on Christmas Eve because all other bars were closed... and the place was always overflowing with friends getting together while they're all back in town for the holidays and don't want to spend the whole night watching TV with their parents, lol.
  • Options

callen said:

And many are forced. And some do feel they need the money so feel pressured to work to make that little bit of money. We need more family time. We need more off time. We need less buying of plastic china crap.

I am bit harsh on this well because I listen to people with the traditional 9-5 talking shit. And those that don't have to work.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rr165892 said:

I know it is next to impossible to find a bar that's open on Christmas Eve, and i think it sucks. Tons of people want to get together with their friends on Christmas Eve and go on a bender - all bars should remain open. The tips for the staff would generally be tremendous!
    Me and my friends used to be forced to go to the worst dump in town on Christmas Eve because all other bars were closed... and the place was always overflowing with friends getting together while they're all back in town for the holidays and don't want to spend the whole night watching TV with their parents, lol.
    Then why don't you open a bar and cash in?
  • Options
    callen said:

callen said:

And many are forced. And some do feel they need the money so feel pressured to work to make that little bit of money. We need more family time. We need more off time. We need less buying of plastic china crap.

I am bit harsh on this well because I listen to people with the traditional 9-5 talking shit. And those that don't have to work.
    you do what you do with the job that you have. when I worked shift, I'd have to work christmas fucking day. did it suck? yep. but hey, I knew that when I got that job it was 24/7/365. I could have gotten a different job. I was uneducated and untrained, so it was the job I could get at the time and I took the responsibility (and enjoyed the extra money) and dealt with it.

all holidays are man-made nonsense anyway. you don't need a faux holiday to spend time with family. that's a shitty excuse to not make family time. and honestly, it's not like ALL the people who get that day off are spending it with family anyway. that's an american utopian falsehood.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    It's the people who are forced to work on holidays at some shitty jobs that pays minimum wages selling plastic crap no one needs and if you don't show up you get canned thing that concerns me. For some people, a holiday like Thanksgiving Day might be the only time they get to spend with family or friends who have traveled. Like yesterday-- if I worked at Walmart and was told I had to work I would have missed seeing my brother and sister in law from L.A. whom I only get to see maybe once a year.

If I worked in a hospital, fire or police department that would be different. You sign on to that kind of working knowing you might have to work any hour of any day (as Hugh said above). But having no choice but to work retail on major holiday? No way. That's B.S. Even if the holidays are all faux and made up nonsense- which most are- those are often the only chance people have to get together and that's what the holidays are about to me, not about exchanging plastic crap on Giveaway Day or getting plowed on Arbitrary Day One of the year, etc.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I'm starting a new holiday. Arbitrary Day One. It will be celebrated with coffee, pie, and Binge watching complete seasons of Rick and Morty and/or adventure time.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

It's the people who are forced to work on holidays at some shitty jobs that pays minimum wages selling plastic crap no one needs and if you don't show up you get canned thing that concerns me. For some people, a holiday like Thanksgiving Day might be the only time they get to spend with family or friends who have traveled. Like yesterday-- if I worked at Walmart and was told I had to work I would have missed seeing my brother and sister in law from L.A. whom I only get to see maybe once a year.

If I worked in a hospital, fire or police department that would be different. You sign on to that kind of working knowing you might have to work any hour of any day (as Hugh said above). But having no choice but to work retail on major holiday? No way. That's B.S. Even if the holidays are all faux and made up nonsense- which most are- those are often the only chance people have to get together and that's what the holidays are about to me, not about exchanging plastic crap on Giveaway Day or getting plowed on Arbitrary Day One of the year, etc.

but my job was not one of those above. I worked security for $8 an hour. I had to. I was scheduled to. I couldn't say "unavailable that day". I sucked it up and I worked. Did I miss out on family time a lot over my shift work years? Sure did. Missed out on friend time as well (had to work midnights and early mornings). But hey, if I had such a massive problem with it I should have gotten a job that wasn't open 24/7. I was just as uneducated/inexperienced as people who work at Walmart are. So really, I don't see all the hubbub.

and really, these people aren't being forced to do anything more than put in their 8 hours or less. they can still have visiting time.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Chad.like fucking animals!
    Are the savings that great? Is it really worth the nonsense.Id pay more to not deal with that circus.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

I'm starting a new holiday. Arbitrary Day One. It will be celebrated with coffee, pie, and Binge watching complete seasons of Rick and Morty and/or adventure time.

I'm totally up with that pie and coffee thing!!

• Options
    rr165892 said:

Chad.like fucking animals!
    Are the savings that great? Is it really worth the nonsense? Id pay more to not deal with that circus.

No way! Insanity!

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    dammit man
    this is for real

https://youtu.be/IxZmDwqg9BA
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce