Listening to on cassette thread.

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
edited December 2020 in Other Music
I am on a tape kick right now. Bought "what looks like a brand new" 1985 Onkyo Cassette deck the other day for $12 and have been going out and finding cassettes for .25 to $1 each. The analog sound is great. The hiss doesn't bother me at all, it actually gives it more of a studio feel.......

Wondering if anyone else is appreciating this format and what are you listening too.
Post edited by MedozK on

Comments

• Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    I gave all my cassettes to Goodwill a while ago. Not a format I really liked. Cassettes were too delicate and not easy to skip songs.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I have the pearl jam albums Epic cut to cassette and some garage rock stuff (Oh Sees, Ty Segall, Cronin), mainly for the novelty factor. Its a pretty inconvenient format really.
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    MedozK said:

I am on a tape kick right now. Bought "what looks like a brand new" 1985 Onkyo Cassette deck the other day for $12 and have been going out and finding cassettes for .25 to $1 each. The analog sound is great. The hiss doesn't bother me at all, it actually give it more of a studio feel.......so at the moment I am listening to:

Wondering if anyone else is appreciating this format and what are you listening too.

Not listening to cassette but ITANOMTHUB is one of my all time favos. "Yo, Chuck, kick it to 'em, man." :sunglasses:
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited November 2015

I have the pearl jam albums Epic cut to cassette and some garage rock stuff (Oh Sees, Ty Segall, Cronin), mainly for the novelty factor. Its a pretty inconvenient format really.

I had just forgotten about the format. The Onkyo tape deck I got has auto-reverse, so you don't even flip the cassette. So it really isn't inconvenient at all...the analog sound without flipping over an LP... I am really liking it right now. Might be the novelty and reminiscing about cassettes I had when I was in high school, but again just listening to music and having fun.

Now listening to this classic:
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Still have my killer Sony double decker tape player.
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited November 2015
    Listening to this at the moment and it sounds GREAT!

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    MedozK said:

I am on a tape kick right now. Bought "what looks like a brand new" 1985 Onkyo Cassette deck the other day for $12 and have been going out and finding cassettes for .25 to $1 each. The analog sound is great. The hiss doesn't bother me at all, it actually gives it more of a studio feel.......so at the moment I am listening to:

When CD's first came out I foolishly dumped several of my LP's only to find I had to pay significantly more later on to repurchase them. Thankfully I kept all my cassettes. Although they're a bit of trouble when wanting to hear specific tracks (my deck has a feature that will fast forward to the space between tracks so even that is not a big deal), they're great for listening to a whole album and I've made tons of cool mixed tapes with my dual cassette deck. Any you're right, they are a terrific deals on them out there!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Now listening to this. Analog sound for under $10

Dude, stop! You're making me want to buy a cassette walkman.
    www.cluthelee.com

:lol: , just for you I am putting 'Five Against One' in the player tonight when I get home.

MedozK said:

:lol: , just for you I am putting 'Five Against One' in the player tonight when I get home.

YES! Dude, I want to collect these, get a new Walkman, and get my AT's and go back in time!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    I give cassetes credit for Nirvana Nevermid sticking in my brain, I am not sure 1992 3rd grade me would have listened to songs like Breed and Polly if I could skip. Then I got a cd player for Xmas and my parents got me Ten and Vs for it....I took them in 4th grade music class and some teacher that`s just a blur to me now played VS for everyone...Come to think of it i think she was hot.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I'm picturing a classroom full of 4th graders rocking out to Blood and Leash.

Just.....awesome. .......!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • pjfaninindianapjfaninindiana Northeast Indiana Posts: 311
    A few nights ago, Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion and last night Radiohead - Pablo Honey
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,841
    Didn't own many cassettes but the one I do remember playing over and over was the Triple J Radio broadcast of Pearl Jams 1998 Melbourne show that I taped myself off the radio.

Great show with some of PJs most memorable performances of Immoratlity, In My Tree, I Got Shit and Porch.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2015
    I don't really get this new (old) trend TBH. Is this just all about nostalgia? If not, why would anyone want to listen to cassettes at this point? They don't sound particularly good, they are ultra delicate, it's impossible to queue songs..... what's the draw if not just old-schoolism?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't really get this new (old) trend TBH. Is this just all about nostalgia? If not, why would anyone want to listen to cassettes at this point? They don't sound particularly good, they are ultra delicate, it's impossible to queue songs..... what's the draw if not just old-schoolism?

Just about everything you said also fits the "Vinyl resurgence". IMO, nostalgia has something to do with it, but a good mastered tape and a good deck, can sound VERY nice.
    MedozK said:

PJ_Soul said:

Just about everything you said also fits the "Vinyl resurgence". IMO, nostalgia has something to do with it, but a good mastered tape and a good deck, can sound VERY nice.
    I disagree. Vinyl sounds way better IMO, is much more hearty (more so that CDs too), and a turntable can't gobble up a record unless you have a Crosley, haha. Plus vinyl has the important bonus of being the best form of album art by far, plus provides the physical connection to the format that CDs and cassettes can't provide.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Candle box - self titled
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

PJ_Soul said:

I disagree. Vinyl sounds way better IMO, is much more hearty (more so that CDs too), and a turntable can't gobble up a record unless you have a Crosley, haha. Plus vinyl has the important bonus of being the best form of album art by far, plus provides the physical connection to the format that CDs and cassettes can't provide.
    I agree, I love vinyl, just not totally. Remember those Pearl Jam Remastered vinyl.... they didn't sound "way better". I really think no matter the medium engineering and production choices are what makes something sound good. And with vinyl you can have pops, skips, inferior vinyl pressings that pass QC.

I enjoy all formats, I can't wait to try out a R2R. The only format I have that I feel is inferior is 8-Track...wow those were bad.

You can debate CD vs Vinyl forever.

I don't think cassettes rival either one, but a good mastered cassette on a good deck can sound VERY good.

Candle box - self titled

Nice
    edited November 2015
    MedozK said:

PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

PJ_Soul said:

I agree, I love vinyl, just not totally. Remember those Pearl Jam Remastered vinyl.... they didn't sound "way better". I really think no matter the medium engineering and production choices are what makes something sound good. And with vinyl you can have pops, skips, inferior vinyl pressings that pass QC.

I enjoy all formats, I can't wait to try out a R2R. The only format I have that I feel is inferior is 8-Track...wow those were bad.

You can debate CD vs Vinyl forever.

I don't think cassettes rival either one, but a good mastered cassette on a good deck can sound VERY good.
    Te PJ reissues are absolute garbage. Yes, of course vinyl doesn't sound better just because it's vinyl. I'm just talking vinyl done right. ;) Basically, all other things equal, I feel like cassettes sound and handle the worst compared to all other formats. Hey, whatever floats your and anyone else's boat. Just wondering about the motivation, all things considered.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Does anyone make mix tapes anymore?
    ELITIST FUK
  • halloweenhead95halloweenhead95 Croatia Posts: 240
    I have few cassettes in my collection (mostly local bands)
    Last one I bought was Lou Barlow - Brace The Wave:

I mean - just 8$! Same price as digital version on bandcamp
    2014: Trieste, Italy 06-22
    2018: Padova, Italy 06-24
    2022: Imola, Italy 06-25
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    man this thread is taking me back to the 80s and early 90s. i still have the Five Against One PJ cassette. Born in the USA I abused the shit out of that cassette. Love the pictures of em. good stuff.