Options

Your Offical Guide to the 2016 Florida Tour

JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
edited October 2015 in The Porch
Thought I'd put this up in case the rumors are true about 4 shows in 4 cities in Florida to kick off the 2016 tour. This post will be updated often as people ask similar questions, confirmation is made by 10C, etc... Right now we are assuming it's Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, and Jacksonville.

Politically speaking: Ft Lauderdale and Miami are more liberal and democrats while Tampa and Jacksonville are more Republican and have military bases near by. This is important since it's an election year.

Florida shows are weird. Sometimes it's the loudest crowds you'll ever experience and sometimes the arenas will be empty (I don't think that will happen with this tour). Ft Lauderdale, Miami, and Tampa are all in nice areas. Jax might be, but I don't go there that often.

PJ hasn't played Miami in 20+ years. The last time they did, there was a riot of the crowds trying to get into the venue (which they did). I think the Miami crowd is going to be nuts and will probably be the closest thing to a South American show since it's easy for folks in South America to fly into Miami. This is the largest of the four arenas.

I don't think PJ has ever played Jax. This is the smallest arena of the four. It's an old minor league hockey arena.

Tampa is the Lightning Capital of the World. It only makes sense to play here on the Lightning Bolt Tour.

Ft Lauderdale is next to the Sawgrass mall. You could spend all day in there, but I'd stay at the beach if you haven't yet. It's about 45 minutes from the venue and the venue is easy to get to.

Miami is near Bayfront Park. It's a nice relaxing atmosphere. If you are going to stay in Miami, I'd recommend South Beach.

Tampa and Jax are both Downtown. There is a Marriot right next to the arena in Tampa or you'll find the usual hotels within walking distance.

If you want to go to Disney, it's about 2 hours from Tampa and 2 hours from Jax depending on traffic.

If you are going to the Ft Lauderdale show and like Iron Maiden, make sure you go to Nicko McBrain's Rock n' Ribs. It's a small place and has lots of cool Iron Maiden stuff. Lots of Powerslave tour stuff.

If you like to gamble, there are two Hard Rock Hotels (one in Tampa and one near Ft Lauderdale). Not much to do around the Hard Rock except what's at the hotel.

Any more questions I can answer. I think it rains a lot in April too. Typically around 3pm.

92 - Orlando
03 - Tampa
08 - Tampa
12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
Post edited by JB128716 on

Comments

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,891
    See you in Tampa!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Any if you have GA and have never been, BEWARE OF THE MCCREADY STARE!!!
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    If you're only doing Miami for 1 night I actually wouldn't recommend staying in south beach. South beach is more fun but It can at times take 30 mins or more to get over by the arena if there's a lot of traffic, and then you gotta figure out how to get yourself home. Once you figure traffic in, will call lines, merch, eating, whatever, you're cutting ur beach day very short. There's a ton of great hotels that are walkable to the arena that are very nice. Chill at the pool to max out your sun time. The epic hotel is really nice but it's $$$$
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    nycrats said:

If you're only doing Miami for 1 night I actually wouldn't recommend staying in south beach. South beach is more fun but It can at times take 30 mins or more to get over by the arena if there's a lot of traffic, and then you gotta figure out how to get yourself home. Once you figure traffic in, will call lines, merch, eating, whatever, you're cutting ur beach day very short. There's a ton of great hotels that are walkable to the arena that are very nice. Chill at the pool to max out your sun time. The epic hotel is really nice but it's $$$$

But it's Epic
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,488
    I hope rumours true for Florida, if so the wife and I will be hitting Miami & Ft. Lauderdale
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    JB128716 said:

PJ hasn't played Miami in 20+ years. The last time they did, there was a riot of the crowds trying to get into the venue (which they did). I think the Miami crowd is going to be nuts and will probably be the closest thing to a South American show since it's easy for folks in South America to fly into Miami. This is the largest of the four arenas.

It'll be interesting to see how many South Americans come up, considering the band will have just played there within the last half-year. Something tells me it'll be fewer than we think, but those South Americans are crazy and if they have the extra money after traveling all around their own continent, who knows.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,562

JB128716 said:

It'll be interesting to see how many South Americans come up, considering the band will have just played there within the last half-year. Something tells me it'll be fewer than we think, but those South Americans are crazy and if they have the extra money after traveling all around their own continent, who knows.
    They won't have to travel very far as there are many South Americans living in S. Florida.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    The Tampa arena will not be sold out. It's rare for that arena to be full.

If you want good fan clubs tickets, go for Tampa. That's the advice of a someone who lived in Tampa for years and noticed that even big bands like Radio Head and Tom Petty did not fill the arena!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,345
    justam said:

The Tampa arena will not be sold out. It's rare for that arena to be full.

If you want good fan clubs tickets, go for Tampa. That's the advice of a someone who lived in Tampa for years and noticed that even big bands like Radio Head and Tom Petty did not fill the arena!

Yup I was at the 08 show and got 2nd row seats. Lots of empty seats in the upper deck.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    I don't remember what they did in '08 but with the tours getting shorter and focused on one area, I think you will see more people coming from out of state to the Florida shows. I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa sells out.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
  • Options
    JB128716 said:

I don't remember what they did in '08 but with the tours getting shorter and focused on one area, I think you will see more people coming from out of state to the Florida shows. I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa sells out.

Yup gotta think that a lot of fans in the north that will travel for shows will likely do the Florida run. I know that's what I wanna do!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    stevedsteved Posts: 651
    In my opinion the crowds in Florida due tend to be less energetic than others crowds I have seen around the country the last decade or longer. In my opinion there are less hardcore fans there and more fans of "Ten" and Betterman etc... Not that there is anything wrong with that, but they just aren't going to be singing along with the more obscure tunes...

I have lived in Florida for 37 of my 40 years. 35 in the Ft. Lauderdale / Miami area and the other two in the Tampa area. Starting at the Bayfront Miami show in 94' I haven't missed any of my local shows (Includes West Palm Beach) and have seen most of the Tampa shows as well.

I am excited and hopeful for multiple Florida shows! It will be a longtime coming!!!!
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    nycrats said:

Stay at the Conrad in Brickell. My experience is that's where the teams typically stay (hockey and basketball) so I wouldn't be surprised if the band was there as well. Nice hotel and very Miami-like. Easy trip to AA Arena from there too.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    for south florida, miami and fort lauderdale might as well be the same thing.

. it's like the band playing where you live and also one-hour awaawwayyay.

look what my stupid phone does
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    also, people from south America will NOT be coming to South Florida for shows

. People from South America already live in South Florida.
  • Options
    The FTL show will also get the Boca / West Palm Beach crowd.
    There are plentyyy of fans for both shows.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    steved said:

In my opinion the crowds in Florida due tend to be less energetic than others crowds I have seen around the country the last decade or longer. In my opinion there are less hardcore fans there and more fans of "Ten" and Betterman etc... Not that there is anything wrong with that, but they just aren't going to be singing along with the more obscure tunes...

I have lived in Florida for 37 of my 40 years. 35 in the Ft. Lauderdale / Miami area and the other two in the Tampa area. Starting at the Bayfront Miami show in 94' I haven't missed any of my local shows (Includes West Palm Beach) and have seen most of the Tampa shows as well.

I am excited and hopeful for multiple Florida shows! It will be a longtime coming!!!!

I think part of the problems are the new arenas. If you ever went to the Hollywood Sportatorium, those shows were nuts and sooooo loud because it was basically a warehouse and the sound would bounce off the walls and the roof. The problem with a lot of these new arenas is that it just sucks the crowd noise right out. Orlando's new arena is the biggest culprit. I've been to playoff games where you can see the crowd yelling, but for whatever reason, it's not that loud inside. I think it has to do with the roof and how it absorbs sound.

I think that's why the show in Jax might be nuts, even though it's the smallest of the arenas. It's an old school arena.
    Post edited by JB128716 on
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    Hoping to do all four FL shows!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    JB128716 said:

steved said:

I think that's why the show in Jax might be nuts, even though it's the smallest of the arenas. It's an old school arena.

The Jacksonville arena is the newest of any of the 4 rumored FL shows. It was built in 2003 and it is the smallest by about 5,000 capacity compared to the others. If I didn't live here(which i sadly do) I wouldn't go to the Jax show. Most crowds are pretty lame here.
  • Options
    I didn't realize it was so new. They may want to get a refund.

I've only been there once and wasn't that impressed.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
  • Options
    edited October 2015

PJ seams to love the smaller arenas however. Last fall the Detroit and Moline shows were the smallest arenas on the tour and were arguably the best shows. I've also heard them mention in interviews they prefer the smaller 10,000ish capacity arenas. So Jax has potential!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    hollywood sportatorium was cool. saw eddie money and santana their in 1977.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I loved the Sweatatorium(Spotatorium).The smell of weed,the tailgating,The huge shows,traffic,people pukeing.WSHE(She's only Rock and Roll) and 99 IZD cranking on stereo speakers on top of cars in the lot.Man o man the buzz is coming back.

All best shows would go there ,and the smaller more artsy acts would play Sunrise musical theatre.

the Spaceship that was/is the West Palm Auditorium,aka the Jehovah dome would get mid size shows like Cheap Trick,Ratt and Nugent.

Remember the Orange Bowl and Tangerine Bowl would get the Rock Superbowls(Todays 4 band bill) And of course Ft.Lauderdale Baseball Stadium would get the Florida Jam and Pearl Jam back in the day.

I still think the best Venue in South Florida now is hands down Cruzan,Coral Sky,Perfect Vodka Amphitheatre.BB and T is the best of the Arenas for Comfort ,travel and Sound.AA is all right.I think Tampa is better.
    Don't sell out on Jax.That will be a a smaller venue and Jvile crowds know how to rock.Thats why the Welcome To Rockville 2 day fest is there every year.
  • Options
    I cannot wait....if all the dates are correct, this will be my first opportunity to see more than one show on a tour. Living in Fort Lauderdale, I normally only saw them come to Coral Sky / Cruzan / Mars Music / Whatever the hell it's sponsor is this week Amphitheater. Will definitely be buying tix for Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and Tampa. Haven't seen the full band down here since the 2008 tour (Avocado) and Ed in Fort Lauderdale a couple of years ago.
    And if we're also getting a new album as well?
    To quote Homer Simpson, "Woo Hoo!!"
    09/23/1998 - West Palm Beach, FL - Coral Sky Ampitheater
    08/09/2000 - West Palm Beach, FL - Mars Music Ampitheater
    04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL - Sound Advice Ampitheater
    10/08/2004 - Orlando, FL - Silver Spurs Arena (A.C.T. Tour)
    06/11/2008 - West Palm Beach, FL - Cruzan Ampitheater
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,572
    We fly down with my in-laws to FLL every March Break and stay in Aventura for the week, will be March 12-19 in 2016. I'm actually glad I won't be around for the shows 3 weeks later - this way I can devote myself to the family without any distractions and enjoy pool time with the kids. Should be great shows in FL for sure.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    100 Pacer said:

We fly down with my in-laws to FLL every March Break and stay in Aventura for the week, will be March 12-19 in 2016. I'm actually glad I won't be around for the shows 3 weeks later - this way I can devote myself to the family without any distractions and enjoy pool time with the kids. Should be great shows in FL for sure.

Thanks for visiting our great state.Please spend lots of money.Our tourist dollars offset property taxes a bit.So be extravagant and spend,spend,spend.lol
  • Options
    SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    foodboy said:

hollywood sportatorium was cool. saw eddie money and santana their in 1977.

Kiss, Jethro Tull and Rod Stewart :)
    Love is all you need.....
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,572
    rr165892 said:

100 Pacer said:

Thanks for visiting our great state.Please spend lots of money.Our tourist dollars offset property taxes a bit.So be extravagant and spend,spend,spend.lol
    It's funny: I never understood the FL appeal until we started flying down with the kids as soon as they were born. Walking around the condo building on the way to the pool, the kids look down ad see little salamanders running around. Only a 3 hour flight from Toronto. Great weather, friendly people and a culture that's very welcoming to all the Canadians flying down for the winter. Definitely spend while down there but it's a pleasure to, so your state will see more of my currency for sure (if you tell my wife I said this I will absolutely deny it lol).
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Florida in general is a bad concert market (just like its a bad sports market). There should be plenty of seats for all 4 shows! That being said, I hope to make it down for Miami and Ft. Lauderdale as my folks live in the Florida Keys and April is a decent time to visit before it gets too hot.
    Gorge