Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    That was fun.

Back to mentally stimulating discussions, Trudeau is going to make the backbenchers tow the party line on the TPP:

OTTAWA — Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau will not allow his MPs a free vote on the massive Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement.

Asked about it Wednesday morning, Trudeau was cautious with his answer.

"We're a long way from that," he told reporters.

"We have a very clear policy on free votes that says elements that are in our platform, elements that go to the heart of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and elements that are confidence matters, that is, matters of budget, people would be expected to vote with the Liberal Party," Trudeau went on to say
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641

^^^^^
    :smile: Not stupid. You certainly have a heightened sense of justice, but only when it pertains to someone you don't "respect" or does not share your ideology.
    How hypocritical to comment I wrote "stupid bullshit" (which is insulting) and yet have "no respect" for me because of a comment I made (which was admittedly insulting).

Be careful of those personal attacks, they can get you in trouble with the Mods! :wink:

Again, IT FUCKING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NOT SHARING MY IDEOLOGY.

Did you forget that you called me smug and ignorant not 5 posts ago?? Enough with the little victim card please.

I absolutely fucked up though. I forgot to ignore you. I usually do pretty well.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Actually I said:

"Everything you say wreaks of ignorance and smugness of the Laurentian leftist elite"

That was an observation on your post and once again you have misquoted in an effort to discredit me.
    Alas, the clearest indication of the winner in any debate is the one who maintains composure.

BTW.. Not playing victim, just amused at the hypocrisy. :smile:
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Actually I said:

"Everything you say wreaks of ignorance and smugness of the Laurentian leftist elite"

That was an observation on your post and once again you have misquoted in an effort to discredit me.
    Alas, the clearest indication of the winner in any debate is the one who maintains composure.

BTW.. Not playing victim, just amused at the hypocrisy. :smile:

Kay, youbseriously don't know the definition of quoting, do you?? I think we'venactually been over that one before, but you still don't get it.
    And i also just said what you said was stupid. Not that you are stupid. Yet you whined and moaned about mencalling you names. Hey, you misquoted me!! So I guess you're the hypocrite (no idea why you called me that btw). I figure if there is a winner, the winner at least has to make logical points.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignin said:

Study 1 - 89 New England bar patrons
    Study 2 - 36 undergraduates
    Study 3 - 36 undergraduates
    Study 4 - 36 undergraduates

This in no way represents enough of a sample of the overall population of the US to constitute definitive results in my opinion. Bar patrons and college students, not an excellent sampling of society. Secondly, this in an American study on Americans. Canadian conservatism is not Donald Trump Republican grandstanding.

Wonder how much high-effort thought the Alberta NDP government put into unfairly taxing Brewers east of Saskatchewan an extra $1.60 a six pack without giving them any notice?
    Wonder how much high-effort thought was put into Rachel Notley's determination to review royalties and increase corporate taxes of a struggling energy sector (that would be something you do when the going is good, which Norway did successfully).
    Wonder how much high-effort thought goes into moving to solar and wind energy when they are both ineffective and the energy used to build the infrastructure results in a net-zero Carbon reduction over the course of ten years. (I work in high voltage, the amount of money spent on infrastructure in Alberta on unreliable wind energy would astound anyone. All requested by AESO, all paid by tax dollars and by the consumer on your electric bill. Ontarians have an opinion on that one I am sure).

They were clear to point out they "were not funded". I am not naive enough to believe these people conducted this study in their free time.
  • Options
    This is getting ridiculous http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/tim-hortons-grilled-for-racist-steak-sandwich-promotion/ar-BBnhVXM?li=AAadgLE&ocid=mailsignout

Really? Racist?
    As much as their coffee tastes like dirty dishwater I like some of the food their.
    People need to unwind.
  • Options

This is getting ridiculous http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/tim-hortons-grilled-for-racist-steak-sandwich-promotion/ar-BBnhVXM?li=AAadgLE&ocid=mailsignout

Really? Racist?
    As much as their coffee tastes like dirty dishwater I like some of the food their.
    People need to unwind.

This is one of those stupid, dinky little stories that isn't really a story at all, but a dumb thing that one person said in a small town once after another dumb person did a harmless dumb thing, reported just to get under people's skin. Looks like it worked (don't fall for it dude).
  • Options

Really? Racist?
    People need to unwind.

The left wing media loves these stories.... Anything to exploit the white man guilt and push their agenda.
  • Options

Really? Racist?
    People need to unwind.

The left wing media loves these stories.... Anything to exploit the white man guilt and push their agenda.
    Are you fucking serious? This is not a left wing media practice. It is an ALL media practice.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJ_Soul said:

Really? Racist?
    People need to unwind.

Are you fucking serious? This is not a left wing media practice. It is an ALL media practice.
    Haven't you got the memo PJSoul....all media is left wing media. Except that bastion of journalism The Rebel Media.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,799

dignin said:

^^^^^

Thanks for once again, proving the point of the article.

I, admittedly more conservative leaning, will watch left wing media (CBC and CNN, etc.)
    Instead of reading it for a different point of view, leftists just say "no, thanks".

It's amazing how anyone could think none has anything interesting to say, or may have a point of view to consider.

Once again, to leftists, diversity is people looking differently, but thinking alike. It's absurd.

Haha, so CBC, CTV and Global are all left leaning.....and Rebel Media is right leaning.....a different point of view. That's what's absurd. Rebel Media is waaaaaaaaay right on the spectrum.

There is no way you are comparing the level of journalism between those media outlets and Rebel Media? Founded by Ezra Levant......Canada's Glen Beck. I've taken shits with more credibility then him. Always having to apologizing for the lies he spews.

Rebel Media is Canada's version of The Blaze. It's trash and a rag. And extreme. Based on most of your posts you aren't even that extreme.
    - Yes All mainstream Canadian media is left leaning. ALL OF IT. There are some pockets who saw a market of people they could sell to (SUN, FOX) but as I said earlier, FOX is crap.

- Ezra Levant does paint a different picture, He has made a few mistakes, but he does report news that no one else will (like Trudeau blocking the Northern Gateway Pipeline by not allowing tankers along the BC coast, proving once again Another Trudeau is out to fuck over Alberta).

- I like Rebel Media. It is another point of view. I don't agree with all of it of course. Some is extreme. But some of that shit on CBC also makes me sick. CTV is the worst news on Canadian television.
    In my humble opinion, Global seems to be the least left leaning news in the country. I don't watch it enough to know.
    I mean, they are all reporting how Nenshi is now worried because some people are anti-Muslim in Calgary. That is news? Give me a break.
    I watch RT, Al Jazeera, and CNN occasionally too. Read from many different sources.

What it proves is that he is willing to put the needs of all provinces above the demands of Alberta. Don't fuck over one province so yours can make more money.
    So allowing Saudi Oil to come to Canada on the east coast, but not allowing Our own oil to be exported and create jobs nation wide makes sense.
    You are trying to tell me a strong economy doesn't benefit BC. Wish I could tell you how many British Coumbians I worked with in Fort Mac. Happy they could bring money home to their families, lamenting how there was no work on "the island" or in "the valley."

Sure sounds like it's "fucking over" another province. Once again, left wing narrow mindedness.
    First your "strong economy" is based on a resource that is tanking, let me know how that works out with all the layoffs going on. Second there is work in the valley and on the island, but a significant portion of people there base their value on money which is sad to me. The rest of the province has been covering the tab for a long time and getting screwed in the process.
    If you want to pollute and destroy your own back yard there is not much I can do about that but kindly stay the fuck out of ours and let us keep our viable resources healthy and productive.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    ^^^^
    It will work out. We will weather another Trudeau nightmare. There are going to be tough times for many people out there but we have resolve.

It's the attitude of people like yourself, who seem to revel in our misfortune, which drives us. No province in Canada did not benefit from the oil boom. I do not work in oil anymore. When I did, I was impressed in the constant effort to be better. Specifically in regards to environmental impact.

You see, I am actually pro-environment. They keep corporations from running amuck. I am a Health, Safety and Environmental Consultant. It is actually amazing the amount of environmental approval an organization must get in order to begin a project. The Gateway pipeline had received that environmental approval.

I'm sure Trudeau's decision to pencil whip legislation will be fought in court. It was arbitrary.
    Why a country wants to damage its own economy is beyond me.
  • Options
    ^^^^
    It is tiring writing an entire paragraph filled with facts and interesting points in this redux thread because
  • Options
    ^^^^
    :lol:
  • Options
    Man... is anyone else feeling like the sun has poked out from behind the clouds? Since Trudeau was elected and nimrod got booted unceremoniously down the block... I have a level of optimism I haven't had for a while.

The feeling I had when the Atlantic coast opened up with 3 innings of no-hit ball... it was the same feeling of elation I had when Ben Johnson blitzed across the finish line in the Olympics (cue Ben Johnson scandal Justin Trudeau predictions).

By the way... did anyone listen to Nimrod's exit speech? I've never heard anything sound so much like an apology without actually being an apology.

Aaahhhh. Good times.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Man... is anyone else feeling like the sun has poked out from behind the clouds? Since Trudeau was elected and nimrod got booted unceremoniously down the block... I have a level of optimism I haven't had for a while.

The feeling I had when the Atlantic coast opened up with 3 innings of no-hit ball... it was the same feeling of elation I had when Ben Johnson blitzed across the finish line in the Olympics (cue Ben Johnson scandal Justin Trudeau predictions).

By the way... did anyone listen to Nimrod's exit speech? I've never heard anything sound so much like an apology without actually being an apology.

Aaahhhh. Good times.

Nice to see one man has given a positive outlook to your life in so many ways in the course of one month.
    Sunny Ways!
  • Options

Aaahhhh. Good times.

Nice to see one man has given a positive outlook to your life in so many ways in the course of one month.
    Sunny Ways!
    Cheers to you too!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    http://www.pressprogress.ca/5_totally_irrational_reactions_to_alberta_new_climate_leadership_plan

Ezra Levant exposes himself as the tool he is...yet again.

It really is hard to argue against a plan that is supported by both Greenpeace, the David Suzuki Foundation and the biggest oil and gas producers in Alberta. This is how politics should be done, bringing differing parties together and coming up with compromise.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    So the 25,000 refugees "deadline" is extended to March 2016. Fine with me. I know the media is treating this as a Trudeau campaign promise that is not fulfilled because of the thing about the end of 2015. But seriously, does anyone care about a 3 month difference unless they are looking for things to criticize just for the sake of criticizing? I know I don't care. I would if it was much longer because I don't think the refugees should continue to suffer like they are while Canada has the resources to help, as long as there is a will to do it. But 3 months difference to get them all here seems fine to me under the circumstances. But I do think the Paris thing probably has at least something to do with the delay, despite Trudeau claiming otherwise.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited November 2015
    ^^^^
    Are not the majority of these refugees already approved and were on their way anyway?
    You failed to mention the 10000 that are coming before years end.
  • Options

^^^^
    Are not the majority of these refugees already approved and were on their way anyway?
    You failed to mention the 10000 that are coming before years end.

The approval process is still underway, but yes, many have already been chosen and approved.
    Yeah, the process is happening now. It's just the deadline is being extended. Did anyone think that all 25,000 would be coming on the same day or something??
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited November 2015
    ^^^
    I don't think so.
    But it is not clear if 25000 includes the 10000 or not.
    Why is the press reporting that 25000 will not settle by deadline instead of the 15000 remaining?
  • Options

^^^
    I don't think so.
    But it is not clear if 25000 includes the 10000 or not.
    Why is the press reporting that 25000 will not settle by deadline instead of the 15000 remaining?

Because they are being dumb? I dunno. Not sure what news you're reading, but I just read this in the past hour, and it details such things very clearly:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-plan-syrian-refugees-1.3333623

Highlights you are asking for:

The Liberal government is extending its deadline to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada by two months, setting the end of February 2016 as a new target date.

While unveiling details of the massive resettlement program today, the government said it will identify all 25,000 selected refugees by Dec. 31, 2015, but only 10,000 will arrive by year's end.

"They will include a mix of privately sponsored and government assisted refugees," said Health Minister Jane Philpott in Ottawa on Tuesday.

"The remaining 15,000 — mostly government-assisted refugees — it is our goal that they be resettled in Canada in January and February of 2016."

"Full medical exams and security screening will be completed overseas prior to arriving in Canada," the health minister said, adding that "further screening for communicable diseases will be done upon arrival, as is the usual process for all travellers to Canada."

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Minister John McCallum said the extra time was needed to give host communities more time to prepare to receive the refugees.
  • Options
    Scatterine Winnd and Rachel Knothead separated at birth:

— A carbon tax will be introduced on all emitters, including regular citizens driving cars and heating their homes. A $20-per-tonne, economy-wide levy will start in January 2017, then increase to $30-per-tonne in January 2018, growing over time based on inflation and based on competitive jurisdictions. For the average household, that means about $320 extra in 2017 for gas, natural gas and electricity, and $470 in 2018.

— But the carbon plan, which will bring in an estimated $3 billion, aims to be revenue neutral, with the government offering rebates through various programs to approximately 60 per cent of people with Alberta’s lowest income. For those not afforded the rebates, the government will create efficiency programs to help people reduce their energy use.

“Low- and middle-income families will get support to help them make ends meet, so I think ultimately they will be able to manage this in a way that encourages reduced use of high-emissions activities while at the same time ensuring we don’t put an unnecessary burden on families,” Notley said. “Overall, every cent that comes out through this carbon tax will go back in (to Alberta).

Sorry, that Rachel Hood. Or Robin Notley. Carbon Tax is just a tax. Why hide behind your bogus environmental plan?
    This NDP government is going to tax the hell out of everyone, all the while driving us further in debt and drive more and more industry out of the province.

Aaaaaaaaaaah, such sun shiny days.
    Luckily I work in high voltage, so this boondoggle of renewable wind energy means a whole lot of government money going into these capital projects.
  • Options
    If you really believe that carbon is going to destroy the planet, the answer is nuclear energy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QiNRdmaJkrM

• Options
    I am very much in favour of nuclear energy in theory. Who wouldn't be? ... It's just that the chance of a catastrophic accident still seems so risky. Yes, accidents (or damage) are rare, but the results are so extreme that doesn't matter much.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    PJ_Soul said:

I am very much in favour of nuclear energy in theory. Who wouldn't be? ... It's just that the chance of a catastrophic accident still seems so risky. Yes, accidents (or damage) are rare, but the results are so extreme that doesn't matter much.

problems with nuclear energy:

1. cost - really, it's the most expensive form of new energy
    2. mining - the environmental impacts of mining uranium are problematic. Like most mining operations (at least domestically) are tied to supposed regulations to ensure public safety and environmental concerns - they are often ignored or not regulated.

we've had the solutions to global warming for a long time now ... we just need to get our collective heads out of our asses ...