Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,562
    edited February 2022
    Didn't you guys also just have an election? Seems to me that the people have already spoken. 

Well, I guess this is the new norm: far right extremists becoming more and more angry at losing elections.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,429
    dignin said:

‘Next Step is Civil War’: Big Money Convoy Donor Says Ottawa Siege May Be Canada’s Last Hope

“The next step is they all go back and they have a gun in their hands”

https://pressprogress.ca/next-step-is-civil-war-big-money-convoy-donor-says-ottawa-siege-may-be-canadas-last-hope/
    What a whiner this goof is…

“We want our freedoms!” Says the person operating a business in an industry that is heavily regulated, and appears to have had no issues with those regulations prior to two weeks ago.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    PJNB said:
    Zod said:
    com'on let vaccinated people cross the border into canada with a test before feb 21 :)
    Feb 19 would be nice for me. Tool in Boston. 

Is there any hint this is happening at all in the next couple of months? I have not heard much on it. 
    No hint yet. All comments from the feds have confirmed an ongoing plan to test. I’ve booked my testing for my weekend trip to Seattle and I don’t expect to have to cancel it but maybe by the summer? One can dream. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,182
    PJNB said:
    Zod said:
    com'on let vaccinated people cross the border into canada with a test before feb 21 :)

Is there any hint this is happening at all in the next couple of months? I have not heard much on it. 
    No hint yet. All comments from the feds have confirmed an ongoing plan to test. I’ve booked my testing for my weekend trip to Seattle and I don’t expect to have to cancel it but maybe by the summer? One can dream. 
    we're flying to vancouver in May and driving to seattle for the jerry cantrell show at the moore. I really don't want to add hundreds to my travel costs for testing. fuck. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Since people are flying Trump flags in Canada am i allowed to finally unfurl my Trudeau flag to show my unwavering support of the most amazing hero of the people that Canada, nay the entire World has ever seen?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,976
    edited February 2022
    PJNB said:
    Zod said:

we're flying to vancouver in May and driving to seattle for the jerry cantrell show at the moore. I really don't want to add hundreds to my travel costs for testing. fuck. 
    One airline had a sale on pcr tests lately. Air Canada online with switch. Mostly, you just have to budget at least 500/couple on border trips, unless you are to document  an infection and get US 90 days grace/180 Canada.
  • Options
    is it this one?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, lol.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    is it this one?

Yes But he is also shirtless with a hammer and sicle tattoo and holding a vaccine syringe. While riding on a moose with a mountie hat in the style of duddley do right
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,724
    Didn't you guys also just have an election? Seems to me that the people have already spoken. 

Well, I guess this is the new norm: far right extremists becoming more and more angry at losing elections.
    You are correct.  It's the political/societal equivalent of being an incredibly sore loser and throwing a toddler style temper tantrum. 

Yes the people have spoken and the government is listening. I keep hearing from these protesters and from opposition.. "Trudeau needs to listen to us."  No. No he does not. He should... I agree... but no he does not.  He's listening to the people who kept him as Prime Minister. 

Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options

When the haters see a sexy photo of Trudeau. lol 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:

You are correct.  It's the political/societal equivalent of being an incredibly sore loser and throwing a toddler style temper tantrum. 

Yes the people have spoken and the government is listening. I keep hearing from these protesters and from opposition.. "Trudeau needs to listen to us."  No. No he does not. He should... I agree... but no he does not.  He's listening to the people who kept him as Prime Minister. 

I don't necessarily agree with this. I mean, shouldn't he listen to all points of view, not just those that voted for him? were the pink hat protests against trump just a bunch of babies? I don't think it's being on the losing side that makes a person/group a whiner, I think it's the cause. and this cause is dumb. 

if it were nurses/doctors/etc doing this and marching towards the capitol, demanding action from Trudeau, for example I'd be all in. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    On the plus side, they are interrupting "good paying jobs" in the automotive sector which kills the world.
  • Options
    Parksy said:

I don't necessarily agree with this. I mean, shouldn't he listen to all points of view, not just those that voted for him? were the pink hat protests against trump just a bunch of babies? I don't think it's being on the losing side that makes a person/group a whiner, I think it's the cause. and this cause is dumb. 

if it were nurses/doctors/etc doing this and marching towards the capitol, demanding action from Trudeau, for example I'd be all in. 
    I agree 100% that he should govern for all.  But these people especially the organizers of the convoy have it in their mind that he's flatly ignoring 'All Canadians' and that they absolutely need to listen to them.  

I think his strategy is wrong in the house of commons. He's doing what liberal biased media are doing and focusing on the swastikas and the confederate flags.  He shouldn't ignore them, but he shouldn't categorize all the protesters that way.  He should and could do more to by sympathetic to their views (legit protesters, not white supremacists) and not be such a dick about it.  That said, hard not to be a dick about these folks when they are drawing the kind of attention they are and they legit parked a truck that says "fuck trudeau" in front of parliament.  If the protesters expect rationality and civility then they ought to start showing that as well. 

This is evident through all of North American politics.  If a group of anti-abortion or anti-gay rights protesters showed up to Parliament to protest for their views and demanded action and to be heard by the PM, would he have to listen to those points of view as well?  To me it's a total waste of time.  
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    LOL .. Candice Bergen now pulling from the O'Toole playbook and telling the protesters to stop being disruptive and take down all barricades. 

It's almost as if when it was politically advantageous to her to support the protests, she did. And when it was politically advantageous to not support the protest (because of supply chain and economic disruptions) she did not. 

Gotta love our politicians. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The Michigan governor is upset. This is same lady that wants to cut off natural gas supply to Ontario and Quebec…lol. Another dolt.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Even his own minister want him to resign…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,314
    Huge gotcha moment...from a tweet made in 2011.

Shit gets dumber by the day.

Keep the dumb tweets coming, good for a laugh.
  • Options
  • Options
    Question....   

Am I alone in thinking that it's weird and irresponsible to bring your kids to these protests?  Like when I try to get into the mindset of these folks, they may very well think they're doing something that is remarkably important for their country.  But it just doesn't seem like a good place for any child. 

To be clear, I would think it's odd to have kids at any political protest. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Parksy said:
    Question....   

Am I alone in thinking that it's weird and irresponsible to bring your kids to these protests?  Like when I try to get into the mindset of these folks, they may very well think they're doing something that is remarkably important for their country.  But it just doesn't seem like a good place for any child. 

I think it can be really valuable to bring kids to protests and marches. It’s potentially an important learning experience and can open their eyes to a world outside their own experience. Of course, you need to choose carefully and be aware of what the environment is and be prepared to leave if there are signs of danger. 

For this one, I would be concerned about a bunch of risk, including the noise level, which can permanently damage kids’ hearing, the air quality, plus more direct risks. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Parksy said:
    Question....   

I think it can be really valuable to bring kids to protests and marches. It’s potentially an important learning experience and can open their eyes to a world outside their own experience. Of course, you need to choose carefully and be aware of what the environment is and be prepared to leave if there are signs of danger. 

For this one, I would be concerned about a bunch of risk, including the noise level, which can permanently damage kids’ hearing, the air quality, plus more direct risks. 

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,417
    The scary thing is, is that shows our government and law enforcement really have no power to stop these things from happening.  All they do is say it's illegal or asking people to go home, but no actual movement.   Basically you can fuck shit up at a serious level with little to no consequences.
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,501
    Parksy said:
    Question....   

I’m with you on not having kids at protests in general (especially today unfortunately, with all the anger and vulgarity). Doesn’t mean kids can’t be taught about social causes and forms of protest. Teenagers sound about right to me to take to a protest, but I say all that as a non-parent, and I get that kids and situations are all different, lol.

I’ve seen kids at so many protests that I don’t honestly know what’s appropriate or not. Once or twice I’ve even seen the kids pushed to the front like shields (which is utterly wrong to me).

As far as the current protests, I don’t even know what to think about them anymore either. I keep hearing how bad they are but any reporting from the scene shows an essentially peaceful situation. My city has now shut down part of the downtown two days in a row for a convoy protest that hasn’t happened, but I know the truckers are supposed to get the blame.

For me one of the worst parts is still how one of the chief dividers (really the instigator) is our nation’s supposed leader. I’ve given up any hope that he’ll change though.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    Question....   

In your opinion... at what age would you think it's beneficial for a child? 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    What a joke that first line is. Destroy the "Administrative State," and let chaos rule.You can thank Steve O. and POOTWH for that. Good luck.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,314
    Nothing wrong with taking kids to a legal protest.

What's happening here is neither legal or a protest.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    Question....   

In your opinion... at what age would you think it's beneficial for a child? 
    Post edited by Spunkie on