Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,724
    tish said:
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    Question....   

Am I alone in thinking that it's weird and irresponsible to bring your kids to these protests?  Like when I try to get into the mindset of these folks, they may very well think they're doing something that is remarkably important for their country.  But it just doesn't seem like a good place for any child. 

To be clear, I would think it's odd to have kids at any political protest. 
    I think it can be really valuable to bring kids to protests and marches. It’s potentially an important learning experience and can open their eyes to a world outside their own experience. Of course, you need to choose carefully and be aware of what the environment is and be prepared to leave if there are signs of danger. 

For this one, I would be concerned about a bunch of risk, including the noise level, which can permanently damage kids’ hearing, the air quality, plus more direct risks. 
    In your opinion... at what age would you think it's beneficial for a child? 
    My kid became supporrive of BLM and LGBTIQA+ at age nine, but not as much support for every child matters (FNIM), showing social media influence.
    Intriguing with regards to social media. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,993
    FreeBC FB site shows BC family day (not this weekend but next) family friendly events-protests planned.
  • Options
    ^ IMO every child matters slogan is week. It should be:

Stop stealing and killing our kids.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Nothing wrong with taking kids to a legal protest.

What's happening here is neither legal or a protest.
    A very important distinction. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    ^yes.
    It's too bad Gord Downie died prematurely he was gaining some traction even with Trudeau on the First Nation Inuit and Meaty equality movement
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Total piece of shit racist…fuck this lazy asshole, refusing to be held accountable.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    tish said:
    Parksy said:
    Question....   

Am I alone in thinking that it's weird and irresponsible to bring your kids to these protests?  Like when I try to get into the mindset of these folks, they may very well think they're doing something that is remarkably important for their country.  But it just doesn't seem like a good place for any child. 

To be clear, I would think it's odd to have kids at any political protest. 
    I think it can be really valuable to bring kids to protests and marches. It’s potentially an important learning experience and can open their eyes to a world outside their own experience. Of course, you need to choose carefully and be aware of what the environment is and be prepared to leave if there are signs of danger. 

For this one, I would be concerned about a bunch of risk, including the noise level, which can permanently damage kids’ hearing, the air quality, plus more direct risks. 
    Agree: Although injunction on noise ended that risk, which I'm sure you are aware. 

We saw pics of Mc.C etc family protesting last year on this site.
    Are they obeying the injunction? If so, good to know. I was not sure if they had. 

The discussion about kids at protests is interesting to me but unfortunately I have a busy day at work so no time to really dig in. I’ll try to get back to it this eveninf (not directed specifically at you Tish but at everyone). 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    dignin said:
    This is obviously sad and it does speak to the greater ignorance of these freedom convoy clowns.  They believe (falsely) that they represent majority of Canadians.  They believe in their cause so much so that disrupting other people's lives is totally worth their cause because they cannot see beyond themselves.  I think it was Hugh that mentioned it before.  If BLM or Indigenous communities did this, the rhetoric from the freedom convoy clowns would be not just completely opposite but more intense. And while subject to personal opinion here, both of those causes are much more serious and warranted than a vaccine mandate. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Bang on
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DvVtDHEizk

Gonna touch on this here.... and while I'll admit, before this Convoy I barely ever tuned in to our news. I have cable but only for sports and if there's something I want to check out, I generally go to cbcnews.ca 

I've noticed especially with CTV that they are biased. Just at a glance because I don't really watch.  I don't find CBC to be biased thankfully...  they had a segment by which they had opinion analysts not unlike American news and I found that the panelists to be biased but overall I find them even and fair.  On TV, they have that Hanomansing fellow who to me is the embodiment of what a news reporter should be...  very plain, very monotone, doesn't express personal opinions.  

Whether or not you think main steam media are evil or CTV news is biased... what are they showing me here in this segment?  Are they manufacturing a story? Are they fearmongering?  Or are they recording and showing me a group of complete fucking tools holding their own swearing in ceremony to be makeshift peace officers.   After that... they absolutely cherry pick what to show during the question period, which I completely don't agree with but I expect it because I know which party they support.  To get the full picture of the question period, I can watch it on youtube from the parliamentary channel.  

And the thing about 'main steam media' that these morons go on and on about goes both ways. You think Fox News isn't spinning this shit like a record?  If you're comfortable and righteous to call out CTV for bias, then do the right thing and don't be a hypocrite and call out Fox News or the Toronto Sun/Ottawa Sun all Sun Media as well.  Like I've seen anti 'main steam media' protest signs that are anti CBC, CTV, and Global.  Help me understand if I'm wrong here.  Do these people hate 'main stream media' because most of them are dishonest?  Or do they hate certain 'main steam media' because they don't agree with their stance?  
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    The money is now crypto currency … they are one step ahead of butterball…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Crypto is not safe from the government as much as Crypto Bro's would like you to believe.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Crypto is not safe from the government as much as Crypto Bro's would like you to believe.
    These guys are one step ahead of our racist pm and our butterball premier.  It’s likely now cash…duh.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    That’s our loveable butterball premier…lol Does he ever get tired of being fat? He should eat salad and go for a walk…not torture a snow machine.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Here is our loveable butterball … he’s got health advice for ya…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,992
    Parksy said:
    Nami said:
    Yes everyone is different.

As i have mentioned before in this thread, i work in the public sector and was mandated to get the vaccine shots, or lose a job.  I had them before it came out but in the end it should be my choice not the government.  This is why i have been rooting the truckers along in their fight.  No one but me should make that decision.  And no one should be threatened like the people of PQ with an additional tax,  or for all of us with the loss of EI if we didnt submit.  I know that these were discussion at various levels, but thankfully nothing came to fruition. 

I know you dont agree, but the way i see this convoy, is a finally a collection of people, backgrounds, etc coming together to stop the erosion of our rights. I want the current government to know, we joined in (what 80-90% of us vaccinated) to help in the fight, but thats enough of that- no more.  going forward it should not be that same standard and the final choice, that of the people.    

Freedom to travel province to province or wherever should not be hindered.  These vaccine passports, what a joke, prior to Christmas the data on the Newfoundland App was hacked with all our personal information and what not- stolen ... And the last couple of days, a review of statistics canada procedures with our location/user data from CA\s Privacy Counsellor.

Questioning the overreach of our government during these difficult or even normal, times should always be questioned 
    You're opinion is valid and obviously shared.  For what it's worth this comes down to a couple fundamental trains of thought. 

Look at Sec. 1 of our Charter.  Charter rights can be limited by law so long as those limits can be shown to be reasonable in a free and democratic society.  This isn't as simple as it sounds and is why we have so much confusion and bitterness.  Because who ultimately decides what is reasonable? 

To me, and I know you don't agree... during a global pandemic it is reasonable to mandate a vaccine.  I honestly wish all levels of government were much more transparent and explained in finer detail but I have faith that they are consulting the appropriate people.  Which leads me to my other fundamental train of thought here... 

You mention how great and important it is to see people of all backgrounds etc. coming together to stop the erosion of rights. We JUST had an election. And I fully believe that if the will of the people of Canada were that of what this freedom convoy is saying, PPC would have won and Maxime Bernier would be the PM.  That simply didn't happen. Liberals won a minority. They won the most seats, and thus the election. Trudeau is the PM. Conservatives took the popular vote.  Liberals and NDP combined crushed that Conservative popular vote.  So what does that all mean compared to this freedom convoy in terms of what Canada actually represents? To me it's quite clear and quite telling. 

Also, without doing in depth fact checking etc... I have personally witnessed across this country every political party in power basically doing the same thing. As an Ontarian on a personal level... all this hate towards the Liberals and Trudeau baffles me. Doug Ford, the Conservative businessman, is responsible for every mandate I've personally faced. 

When faced with these kinds of numbers, figures, and facts of life... why would anyone expect overnight change? I'm all for protests but what do these freedom convoy morons really expect?  This will go down as the most shameful and dumbest expression of ideas in our history I think. It's one thing to be against these mandates and the perceived government overreach (even though the so-called overreaching has been done by just about every level of government and every party in power) but to spend the kind of money and time doing this... is just plain stupid. Some protesters are so devoted to their cause that they will tie themselves to a tree for days. Others will have party buses, and bouncy castles, and barbeques, and live bands, and comfort stations, and hot tubs, and saunas. 

So you might not agree with it, that's fine.  But when discussing how reasonable a thing is in society...  

Every party is doing or has done the same thing. 
    Every level of government (municipal, provincial, federal) is doing the same thing.
    Majority of a population voted in a free and democratic election with campaign platforms suggesting the same thing. 

I think about the pizza analogy.  10 people are getting 1 pizza.  6 want pepperoni, 4 want bacon.  You can only have 1.  Which pizza is more reasonable and fair to get? That to me is the difficult decision every government has been faced with. Having to get pepperoni, knowing it was going to piss off the bacon crowd. And just because a bunch of bacon loving pizza nuts are out in the streets and on the roads being loud... does not discount the fact that more people did in fact want pepperoni. 

Parksy said:
    Nami said:

As i have mentioned before in this thread, i work in the public sector and was mandated to get the vaccine shots, or lose a job.  I had them before it came out but in the end it should be my choice not the government.  This is why i have been rooting the truckers along in their fight.  No one but me should make that decision.  And no one should be threatened like the people of PQ with an additional tax,  or for all of us with the loss of EI if we didnt submit.  I know that these were discussion at various levels, but thankfully nothing came to fruition. 

I know you dont agree, but the way i see this convoy, is a finally a collection of people, backgrounds, etc coming together to stop the erosion of our rights. I want the current government to know, we joined in (what 80-90% of us vaccinated) to help in the fight, but thats enough of that- no more.  going forward it should not be that same standard and the final choice, that of the people.    

Freedom to travel province to province or wherever should not be hindered.  These vaccine passports, what a joke, prior to Christmas the data on the Newfoundland App was hacked with all our personal information and what not- stolen ... And the last couple of days, a review of statistics canada procedures with our location/user data from CA\s Privacy Counsellor.

Questioning the overreach of our government during these difficult or even normal, times should always be questioned 
    You're opinion is valid and obviously shared.  For what it's worth this comes down to a couple fundamental trains of thought. 

Look at Sec. 1 of our Charter.  Charter rights can be limited by law so long as those limits can be shown to be reasonable in a free and democratic society.  This isn't as simple as it sounds and is why we have so much confusion and bitterness.  Because who ultimately decides what is reasonable? 

To me, and I know you don't agree... during a global pandemic it is reasonable to mandate a vaccine.  I honestly wish all levels of government were much more transparent and explained in finer detail but I have faith that they are consulting the appropriate people.  Which leads me to my other fundamental train of thought here... 

You mention how great and important it is to see people of all backgrounds etc. coming together to stop the erosion of rights. We JUST had an election. And I fully believe that if the will of the people of Canada were that of what this freedom convoy is saying, PPC would have won and Maxime Bernier would be the PM.  That simply didn't happen. Liberals won a minority. They won the most seats, and thus the election. Trudeau is the PM. Conservatives took the popular vote.  Liberals and NDP combined crushed that Conservative popular vote.  So what does that all mean compared to this freedom convoy in terms of what Canada actually represents? To me it's quite clear and quite telling. 

Also, without doing in depth fact checking etc... I have personally witnessed across this country every political party in power basically doing the same thing. As an Ontarian on a personal level... all this hate towards the Liberals and Trudeau baffles me. Doug Ford, the Conservative businessman, is responsible for every mandate I've personally faced. 

When faced with these kinds of numbers, figures, and facts of life... why would anyone expect overnight change? I'm all for protests but what do these freedom convoy morons really expect?  This will go down as the most shameful and dumbest expression of ideas in our history I think. It's one thing to be against these mandates and the perceived government overreach (even though the so-called overreaching has been done by just about every level of government and every party in power) but to spend the kind of money and time doing this... is just plain stupid. Some protesters are so devoted to their cause that they will tie themselves to a tree for days. Others will have party buses, and bouncy castles, and barbeques, and live bands, and comfort stations, and hot tubs, and saunas. 

So you might not agree with ine.  But when discussing how reasonable a thing is in society...  

Every level of government (municipal, provincial, federal) is doing the same thing.
    Majority of a population voted in a free and democratic election with campaign platforms suggesting the same thing. 

I think about the pizza analogy.  10 people are getting 1 pizza.  6 want pepperoni, 4 want bacon.  You can only have 1.  Which pizza is more reasonable and fair to get? That to me is the difficult decision every government has been faced with. Having to get pepperoni, knowing it was going to piss off the bacon crowd. And just because a bunch of bacon loving pizza nuts are out in the streets and on the roads being loud... does not discount the fact that more people did in fact want pepperoni. 

https://youtu.be/EdhFuMDLBDM

times 1307 to 2220, good vid.

Two years in, time to drop all mandates federally and provincially.

Regardless of what party is in power, I believe, the overreach is an abuse of power.

If you agree or disagree with this protest, at the point we're at now with it and the measures they are using to contest, are you that naive to think they won't use those same methods to police you and denounce anything you stand against.  At what point is it enough to make you question the tactics.

Like seriously, police showing up to ones door to pass out peaceful protest pamphlets? Twitter YT video out there look for it, looking like Australia.  

Children too, it's all so sad.  
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Nami said:
    Parksy said:
    Nami said:

So you might not agree with it, that's fine.  But when discussing how reasonable a thing is in society...  

Parksy said:
    Nami said:

So you might not agree with ine.  But when discussing how reasonable a thing is in society...  

https://youtu.be/EdhFuMDLBDM

times 1307 to 2220, good vid.

Two years in, time to drop all mandates federally and provincially.

Regardless of what party is in power, I believe, the overreach is an abuse of power.

If you agree or disagree with this protest, at the point we're at now with it and the measures they are using to contest, are you that naive to think they won't use those same methods to police you and denounce anything you stand against.  At what point is it enough to make you question the tactics.

Like seriously, police showing up to ones door to pass out peaceful protest pamphlets? Twitter YT video out there look for it, looking like Australia.  

Children too, it's all so sad.  
    Don’t you call your cops, “peace officers?”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Out of principle.. .I don't listen to anything Jordan Peterson has to say.  I'll watch someone else if they have good points that you may have found. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    Out of principle.. .I don't listen to anything Jordan Peterson has to say.  I'll watch someone else if they have good points that you may have found. 
    I posted it because you discussed the charter in your comments.  So the last living Premier that drafted such, his points don't count?
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Not with Jordan Peterson, no.  
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Coming from the man that has locked 🔒 kids out of school longer than anywhere in Canada and forced small business closed (the longest lockdowns in Canada) so he can line his pockets from big box stores.. He can’t let go of pointless mandates…Toronto is still living afraid. Your fear is not my fear…be responsible learn to take of yourself…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Doug Fords company made a fortune selling fearful Covid stickers to his big box buddies…follow the money. The mandates are about these politicians getting wealthy…butterball could care less about your health…just his wealthy donors.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,314
    Parksy said:
    Not with Jordan Peterson, no.  
    That's a bingo.
  • Options
    Can't believe I'm saying this...   but Ford's press conference is better than anything Trudeau has said since this 'demonstration' began.  My only issue is that he's only begun saying this because it's hitting him where it hurts the most... the economy. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    That's why things are amping up across the board.