Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

sad ... no wonder there is no progress ...

if hypocrisy is a legitimate means of dismissing issues ...

by the year 2050 - there will be more plastic in oceans than fish ... think about that while we worry about our "need" for oil ...

Think about that while you're pounding a water or pop on a road trip.

You can insert another word if you wish, but keep in mind your contributions to the growing problem while you advocate for a better way.
    why bother having an opinion on anything in this world if we can use that as an excuse for ignorance?

feel free to not express a concern ever again because i can guarantee you there will be hypocrisy in your statement

sad
    I do express concerns for our future. And when I do... there is a level of hypocrisy there.

I'm realistic. Would you prefer me to say, "Yah! F**k oil, man! F**k it good!" And then proceed to fly to Hawaii for the 6th time in the last 5 years and renew my golf membership?
    again, I disagree. I think you can move towards a viable solution while doing your best to live within the confines of the current system, as much as it is wrought with failures.

Of course.

But admit to our individual culpability as well. There are many things all of us can do... and don't... which would make a positive difference.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,096

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

by the year 2050 - there will be more plastic in oceans than fish ... think about that while we worry about our "need" for oil ...

You can insert another word if you wish, but keep in mind your contributions to the growing problem while you advocate for a better way.
    why bother having an opinion on anything in this world if we can use that as an excuse for ignorance?

feel free to not express a concern ever again because i can guarantee you there will be hypocrisy in your statement

sad
    I do express concerns for our future. And when I do... there is a level of hypocrisy there.

I'm realistic. Would you prefer me to say, "Yah! F**k oil, man! F**k it good!" And then proceed to fly to Hawaii for the 6th time in the last 5 years and renew my golf membership?
    again, I disagree. I think you can move towards a viable solution while doing your best to live within the confines of the current system, as much as it is wrought with failures.

Of course.

But admit to our individual culpability as well. There are many things all of us can do... and don't... which would make a positive difference.
    I have, on several occasions.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

sad

Of course.

I have, on several occasions.

So we're the same!

Good stuff.
  • Options
    Renewable energy is not a new phenomenon. 10% of Alberta's electricity currently comes from renewables. (Up to 30% by 2030).
    I know of many new wind generation projects in the developmental stages. It's big business and there are companies throwing large money at it.

Iowa is 57% renewable energy. Manitoba is in that partnership with them and a dozen or so Midwestern states.

The same thing will be happening out west with Alberta, BC, Oregon, Washington and California in the not too distant future. This is the future of the grid, businesses and homes with solar panels selling to the grid all day and buying back at night.

But oil and coal are not just about energy. Unfortunately that is where most of the enviro-lefts headspace is. Making a family of five feel guilty for buying an SUV and taking them to the Tim Horton's drive thru is unfair. It's not their fault it's a popular place to go and the car idles for 20 minutes. I will say my new 2016 F150 actually shuts off at red lights (or drive thrus although I don't use them) to conserve fuel and reduce emissions. THESE are the improvements being made.

Life is about constant improvement. If you really think about how far we have come environmentally in the past twenty years... I mean really stop and think.... It's pretty damn impressive.

But maybe thirtybillsunpaid thought is correct. That this is exactly how it was supposed to go. This is the evolutionary lesson... :smile:
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

"My friend says we're like the dinosaurs only we are doing ourselves in much faster than they ever did."

Here's a thought- and it's not well formulated nor necessarily what I believe:

We tend to think of ourselves as the height of the universe, but maybe we are not. Maybe, we were preordained to do exactly what we are doing: modest beginnings, swelling to epidemic proportions, and, finally, expiring as a result of our activities (just like the dinosaurs did)- lending way to the next form of life.

What are we trying to do exactly? Are we trying to slow down the rate of consumption so that we can squeeze out a few extra generations at the end of it all? Or are we trying to find a balance so that mankind can sustain itself for eternity? If it is scenario 2... we have a lot of work to do and I'm not doing my part. If people here have made the changes in their lifestyle to contribute to scenario 2... I salute you. Well done- seriously.

I salute you!
    You put your hands into the soil and you bring food into the world with your effort and the free love of Sol. That is an amazing phenomenon that I believe is the start toward becoming a sustainable species.
    When more people participate in this holiest of rituals than not, we will be well on our way. Plenty of work to do from there, but it starts with getting the black back under the fingernails of children in every corner of the developed world.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

Renewable energy is not a new phenomenon. 10% of Alberta's electricity currently comes from renewables. (Up to 30% by 2030).
    I know of many new wind generation projects in the developmental stages. It's big business and there are companies throwing large money at it.

Iowa is 57% renewable energy. Manitoba is in that partnership with them and a dozen or so Midwestern states.

The same thing will be happening out west with Alberta, BC, Oregon, Washington and California in the not too distant future. This is the future of the grid, businesses and homes with solar panels selling to the grid all day and buying back at night.

But oil and coal are not just about energy. Unfortunately that is where most of the enviro-lefts headspace is. Making a family of five feel guilty for buying an SUV and taking them to the Tim Horton's drive thru is unfair. It's not their fault it's a popular place to go and the car idles for 20 minutes. I will say my new 2016 F150 actually shuts off at red lights (or drive thrus although I don't use them) to conserve fuel and reduce emissions. THESE are the improvements being made.

Life is about constant improvement. If you really think about how far we have come environmentally in the past twenty years... I mean really stop and think.... It's pretty damn impressive.

But maybe thirtybillsunpaid thought is correct. That this is exactly how it was supposed to go. This is the evolutionary lesson... :smile:

actually, it IS their fault. get out the damn car and go inside instead of idling for 20 minutes. I have read the disgusting amount of idling that is done at Tim Horton's in particular, and it's sick. Do I go through the drive thru? Yes, but only if there is no or minimal line. Otherwise, I shut off the car and go in.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

sad

i don't care if you fly to hawaii or own 20 SUVs ... that's my point ...

people are using the lame lame lame hypocrisy angle to ignore the issues and you think it's ok ...

how does it help if someone points to legitimate issues and their thoughts/concerns are easily ignored because everyone is a hypocrite? ... it's just lazy and a sad reflection of who we are ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

sad

people are using the lame lame lame hypocrisy angle to ignore the issues and you think it's ok ...

how does it help if someone points to legitimate issues and their thoughts/concerns are easily ignored because everyone is a hypocrite? ... it's just lazy and a sad reflection of who we are ...
    I don't think anyone is ignoring the issue. To the contrary, I think failing to acknowledge the hypocrisy and admitting to individual failings is sad. Are you suggesting we ignore this inconvenient truth?

Even unthought has spoken to the modern improvements and efforts to reverse the course we have set for destruction and how wonderful these are. I'm all for recognition, awareness, and efforts to curb the problem; but make no mistake... we are at the root of the problem. Our consumption patterns dictate the demand for resources.
  • Options

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

sad

I don't think anyone is ignoring the issue. To the contrary, I think failing to acknowledge the hypocrisy and admitting to individual failings is sad. Are you suggesting we ignore this inconvenient truth?

Even unthought has spoken to the modern improvements and efforts to reverse the course we have set for destruction and how wonderful these are. I'm all for recognition, awareness, and efforts to curb the problem; but make no mistake... we are at the root of the problem. Our consumption patterns dictate the demand for resources.
    good point.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambs said:

"My friend says we're like the dinosaurs only we are doing ourselves in much faster than they ever did."

We tend to think of ourselves as the height of the universe, but maybe we are not. Maybe, we were preordained to do exactly what we are doing: modest beginnings, swelling to epidemic proportions, and, finally, expiring as a result of our activities (just like the dinosaurs did)- lending way to the next form of life.

What are we trying to do exactly? Are we trying to slow down the rate of consumption so that we can squeeze out a few extra generations at the end of it all? Or are we trying to find a balance so that mankind can sustain itself for eternity? If it is scenario 2... we have a lot of work to do and I'm not doing my part. If people here have made the changes in their lifestyle to contribute to scenario 2... I salute you. Well done- seriously.

I salute you!
    You put your hands into the soil and you bring food into the world with your effort and the free love of Sol. That is an amazing phenomenon that I believe is the start toward becoming a sustainable species.
    When more people participate in this holiest of rituals than not, we will be well on our way. Plenty of work to do from there, but it starts with getting the black back under the fingernails of children in every corner of the developed world.
    Thanks, RG.

You wanna know something? It was a lot of fun. We actually boasted about it. When my buddies came over, we'd sit in the back yard, have a beer or two, and pick tomatoes or cucumbers off the vine and eat them.

I need to research how our soil might be given what we grew last year. We never used any chemicals and don't wish to start.
  • Options

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

sad

good point.

Lol

I saw Hugh in the 'last post' column and thought, "Oh Christ. What did I say now?"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

I salute you!
    Thanks, RG.

You wanna know something? It was a lot of fun. We actually boasted about it. When my buddies came over, we'd sit in the back yard, have a beer or two, and pick tomatoes or cucumbers off the vine and eat them.

I need to research how our soil might be given what we grew last year. We never used any chemicals and don't wish to start.
    My first instinct was to hijack this thread and make it about gardening, but maybe there is a thread in AET, if not, I will be making one.

There's nothing like those fresh fruits, I cant eat grocery store tomatoes anymore, I just can't. That's part of why I think everyone gardening is the heart of the future... There are millions of people in America who don't even know what a tomato actually tastes like, even though they have bought them for years.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I salute you!
    Thanks, RG.

My first instinct was to hijack this thread and make it about gardening, but maybe there is a thread in AET, if not, I will be making one.

There's nothing like those fresh fruits, I cant eat grocery store tomatoes anymore, I just can't. That's part of why I think everyone gardening is the heart of the future... There are millions of people in America who don't even know what a tomato actually tastes like, even though they have bought them for years.
    I'll join you over there!
  • Options

actually, it IS their fault. get out the damn car and go inside instead of idling for 20 minutes. I have read the disgusting amount of idling that is done at Tim Horton's in particular, and it's sick. Do I go through the drive thru? Yes, but only if there is no or minimal line. Otherwise, I shut off the car and go in.

You sir, lack the ability to engage in meaningful debate. Perhaps the parent does not want to unload the three kids and go inside. Perhaps the parent is using that twenty minutes to spend quality time with the kids.
    Perhaps it is thirty below outside. I am against Time Horton's for anything. But admonishing someone for going through a drive thru is a complete waste of time.

It's interesting how that is only thing you got from my post... The only thing that didn't slide into your enviro-leftist agenda. How do you communicate with the hardworking Union people you are fighting for control over the NDP platform? :lol:
  • Options

You sir, lack the ability to engage in meaningful debate. Perhaps the parent does not want to unload the three kids and go inside. Perhaps the parent is using that twenty minutes to spend quality time with the kids.
    Perhaps it is thirty below outside. I am against Time Horton's for anything. But admonishing someone for going through a drive thru is a complete waste of time.

It's interesting how that is only thing you got from my post... The only thing that didn't slide into your enviro-leftist agenda. How do you communicate with the hardworking Union people you are fighting for control over the NDP platform? :lol:
    obviously, there are times where it's warranted. but most times it's out of pure laziness.

it was the only thing I commented on because it was the only part I disagreed with.

I have a leftist agenda and am an NDPer as much as you love Harper. When will you finally understand this?

again, keep the personal shots out of it. I do not lack the ability to engage in meaningful debate. someone who takes personal shots and talks in a condescending way is the one who lacks that ability.

For the most part, I learn from others here, including yourself. but you ruin the level of respect, and therefore the point you are trying to get across, with your constant condescension.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ^^^

"It was the only thing I commented on because it was the only part I disagreed with"

Respect :whistle:
  • Options
    Rocco Galati is suing the Feds again. This is one I completely agree with. The private banks have screwed us for far too long.
    Do your research into this... It is fraud and unconstitutional.

"There is a very interesting legal case that is playing out in Canada at the moment. William Krehm, Anne Emmett, and COMER (The Committee for Monetary and Economic Reform: http://www.comer.org/) filed a lawsuit on December 12th, 2011, in Federal Court to try to force a restoration of the Bank of Canada to its mandated purposes. In essence, they want the Bank of Canada to provide interest-free loans to the federal, provincial, and municipal governments, as provided for in the Bank of Canada Act.

This money would be used to finance public expenditures whenever there is a budgetary deficit. Apparently, the federal government used to borrow interest-free (to at least some extent) from the Bank of Canada up until 1974. At present, governments borrow all of the necessary money (apart from any bonds they may sell to the public) from private banks at the going rate of interest. Canadians are economically burdened with the resultant debt-servicing charges because the Bank of Canada does not make use of its prerogatives in the interests of the Canadian public. The case is being prosecuted by Rocco Galati, who is widely considered to be Canada’s top constitutional lawyer.

The nature of the lawsuit has been explained on www.pressfortruth.ca in the following terms:

“TWO CANADIANS AND A CANADIAN ECONOMIC THINK TANK CONFRONT THE GLOBAL FINANCIAL POWERS IN THE CANADIAN FEDERAL COURT. THE CANADIANS PLEAD FOR DECLARATIONS THAT WOULD RESTORE THE USE OF THE BANK OF CANADA FOR THE BENEFIT OF CANADIANS AND REMOVE IT FROM THE CONTROL OF INTERNATIONAL PRIVATE ENTITIES WHOSE INTERESTS AND DIRECTIVES ARE PLACED ABOVE THE INTEREST OF CANADIANS AND THE PRIMACY OF THE CONSTITUTION OF CANADA

Canadian constitutional lawyer, Rocco Galati, on behalf of Canadians William Krehm, and Ann Emmett, and COMER (Committee for Monetary and Economic Reform) on December 12th, 2011 filed an action in Federal Court, to restore the use of the Bank of Canada to its original purpose, by exercising its public statutory duty and responsibility. That purpose includes making interest free loans to municipal/provincial/federal governments for “human capital” expenditures (education, health, other social services) and /or infrastructure expenditures.The action also constitutionally challenges the government’s fallacious accounting methods in its tabling of the budget by not calculating nor revealing the true and total revenues of the nation before transferring back “tax credits” to corporations and other taxpayers. The Plaintiffs state that since 1974 there has been a gradual but sure slide into the reality that the Bank of Canada and Canada’s monetary and financial policy are dictated by private foreign banks and financial interests contrary to the Bank of Canada Act."

I noticed they have a GoFundMe page. Do your research and if you think they are on to something, perhaps you can help in the fight. Rocco is certainly not getting rich off of this as the Crown drags him through a half-decade of litigation.
    Hats of to COMER as well. We must return our Public bank to us. The prosperous years of 1935-1974. Trudeau, Mulroney, Chrétien, Martin and Harper and their governments have all put us in our precarious situation.
    Spread the word! The mainstream media is not reporting this. Why? Mainstream media consists of four or five people (and getting smaller) and the Feds (who own the CBC and you know my opinion on that).
    Interestingly though, I saw a two-piece interview with Galati performed by Amanda Lang. It is on YouTube.

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,492
    With today's budget, it's becoming increasingly legitimate to ask if the Trudeau government will actually honour their election platform, or were they simply blowing smoke (we know what kind, lol) up the public's asses?
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,755

With today's budget, it's becoming increasingly legitimate to ask if the Trudeau government will actually honour their election platform, or were they simply blowing smoke (we know what kind, lol) up the public's asses?

I feel like they had already proven several times that they weren't just blowing smoke. At this point we just see how effectively they can make the attempts and how changing realities will affect their goals and results and the amount of the planned deficit.
    Anything surprising in the budget in your opinion? I didn't think so.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I suppose the tripling of the deficit can be called a surprise, despite the media speculation the last several weeks.

One item I've seen mentioned is a lack of a reduction of the small business tax, which was part of their platform.

Honestly, 20+ years of following politics in this country has led me to never be surprised when the Liberals seem to just say anything to get elected, then forget what they said during the campaign. The Cons tend to do what they said, even if the public don't like it. The NDP haven't yet had the chance to prove themselves federally, but our experience provincially here in Ontario wasn't a good one (which led directly to the Mike Harris Conservative government).

Just my roundabout way of saying I've been conditioned to such a level of cynicism that nothing any government, or the electorate for that matter, does surprises me.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,755
    edited March 2016
    Hmm. I don't feel like the libs have just said anything to get elected and then forgot what they said in this case... Obviously we've known for ages that the deficit would be bigger than hoped (the budget says double, not triple), but the Liberal party itself has really been confirming that IMO - it wasn't really just media speculation. The rest was either addressed today in some way or another or, of course, is still out on the table.

The Cons tended to do what they said (even when Canadians didn't like it), and then do a whole shitload more without telling anyone - specifically doing it in a way that would keep Canadians ignorant of what's being done - usually at the expense of something Canadians value deeply. That was their main problem.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    New budget is ending the children’s fitness tax credit and the children’s arts tax credit.
    That was a very forward thinking plan by the previous govt.
  • Options
    Sadly, both "governing parties" are guilty of bringing in major policies that aren't included in their election platforms.

And even worse, all parties become hypocritical after they acheive government (think the Liberal's ignoring Trudeau's travel costs for his vacation after lambasting Harper for the same, or Harper's flip-flop on the Senate, in the interests of fairness).

And sorry to nitpick, but when the Liberals campaigned on $10 billion deficits, a projection of $29.4 billion amounts to a tripling.

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    The deficit is insane. His father would be proud.
  • Options

New budget is ending the children’s fitness tax credit and the children’s arts tax credit.

Forward thinking?

It was pesos tossed in the direction of the public. For what it did on the small scale... just keep the f**king money. Use it to increase MP pensions and offer more corporate tax breaks.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2016

Forward thinking?

It was pesos tossed in the direction of the public. For what it did on the small scale... just keep the f**king money. Use it to increase MP pensions and offer more corporate tax breaks.
    Tell that to all happy young ones playing sports and watch their reaction.
    An incentive to get your kids active - silly me for thinking that's a great idea.

edit - penalty box for you, go sit and discuss your favourite colour and when your done pouting come back :smiley:
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options

Forward thinking?

An incentive to get your kids active - silly me for thinking that's a great idea.

edit - penalty box for you, go sit and discuss your favourite colour and when your done pouting come back :smiley:
    I've got kids in sports. I just did my taxes.

You're talking like the 'progressive thinking' was progressive thinking. It wasn't. It was a cheap tactic with very little substance: "Hey. Look at us all concerned for our youth in sport." Yah. Not really. But good try.

So yes... silly you.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2016

Forward thinking?

I've got kids in sports. I just did my taxes.

You're talking like the 'progressive thinking' was progressive thinking. It wasn't. It was a cheap tactic with very little substance: "Hey. Look at us all concerned for our youth in sport." Yah. Not really. But good try.

So yes... silly you.
    Aside from the parents that can afford anything for their children it helped many other parents in situations at times. Imagine not being able to enroll your child into swimming (insert sport here) for a session because during that month for enrolling you just didn't have the means.
    This was a program designed to help families that seem to struggle more than others.
    Unless you have the means to enroll your child in an elitist sport sometimes sending your kid to soccer for one day a week over summer knowing that it is covered is a nice feeling and does wonders for the child.
  • Options
    ^^^^

Our provincial government did away with taxing bicycles- healthy... good for the environment... etc.

That, PJFan, is progressive thinking that the federal government fails to get behind. Don't be fooled by their cheap talk.