2016 PJ25 Tour Rumors

Comments

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    JimmyV said:

Very interesting. Fenway and Wrigley are historic venues. Almost uniquely so. You could argue the same for Soldier Field all those years ago. But a brand new football stadium in Minnesota is a different animal. If this is true I think all kinds of shows in the future are a little more plausible. Safeco, Yankee Stadium, etc.

As a Twin Cities resident, I don't buy it. Couple of reasons:

1. PJ has not had a very strong presence in this area. Between 1998 and today they have played this market 4 times. 2 headlining slots and 2 supporting slots. 5 and 11 years in between headlining shows (98-2003 and 2003-2014) and 8 years between actual appearances (the Target Corporate thing doesn't count).

2. The Twin Cities are very close to Chicago. 6 hours by car, 1 hour by air. The Wrigley shows have already pulled, or will pull, a large amount of people from the region.

3. The new US Bank Stadium is huge. Something like 70-73,00 capacity for football games

4. The latest "rumor" is from a DJ out of Dubuque, Iowa. Local buzz regarding the "rock and roll" show at the stadium is Guns n Roses.

I would love for a home town show, but I don't see it happening.
  • thro84thro84 Posts: 10
    I'm also a Twin Cities resident. It seems that GnR is a pretty risky act to open the stadium with. Axl is notoriously late to shows and they are a band that hasn't toured with regularity for some time. It just seems that promoting GnR as the opening of US Bank Stadium would be a risky promotional endeavor.
    While the presence in the TC isn't great, they have still supported the shows they have played here. And if its not Pearl Jam and if GnR is too risky then who else fits the "rock and roll" title?
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    thro84 said:

I'm also a Twin Cities resident. It seems that GnR is a pretty risky act to open the stadium with. Axl is notoriously late to shows and they are a band that hasn't toured with regularity for some time. It just seems that promoting GnR as the opening of US Bank Stadium would be a risky promotional endeavor.
    While the presence in the TC isn't great, they have still supported the shows they have played here. And if its not Pearl Jam and if GnR is too risky then who else fits the "rock and roll" title?

I don't think the GNR this is too bad as long as you plan it properly. IE don't book the show if it really needs to end on time. If you can prepare and have the staff/venue/local permits in place to go really late, you probably won't have any problems at all.

I was at the Vancouver one that never happened and turned into a miniriot. Axl was being his usual late self, the venue panicked and canceled the show because he was being late. They didn't let anyone in the door and wouldn't let the openers play until he got there. They left people in the rain for an hour past doors and never properly told people it was cancelled (they told the people at the front of the line-up and the news made it's way back). GM Place and the City of Vancouver handled it horribly. I still blame the venue more than I blame Axl on that one. If you know a guy is late for every show he plays, how do not plan for that?

A few years later I saw them in Edmonton and it was 180. Edmonton planned for Axl to be late and for the show to go late. They eft the LRT ready to go (subway kind of thing) to bring people home when it was over (It usually stops around 1:00am but they left a train on the track all the way until the show ended). Axl didn't even hit the stage until it was close to 12:00am and they played until 2:30am. Absolutely no problems because the promoters/venue/city of Edmonton used their brains and planned everything based on the very public information that AXL shows up late.

If you know AXL shows up late, don't plan the event somewhere that has a strict 11pm curfew. You've got to be a moron to do that :) GNR events go find if you plan on them going late. It's not like AXL in unpredictable. He's late at every show. That's 100% predictable and it can be planned for :)
  • thro84thro84 Posts: 10
    Well the city of Minneapolis leaves a lot to be desired. I question whether they (or the stadium authority) can handle an act as unpredictable as GnR.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    mr bungle said:

Seattle fan club show for fans with a Seattle area address only. As a 25th anniversary thank you, in the city it all started. And then The Gorge for the masses.

I'm only 80 miles from Seattle. Maybe they could expand that scope a little. I consider Seattle and Vancouver to be my local shows (as they haven't played Victoria since their days of playing bars in the early 90s). I'd like to go and I live closer to Seattle than many residents in Washington State :)
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited February 2016
    Remember that guy tweeting about Safeco would be completing the I-90 stadium tour? This would fit the bilI... i always thought CenturyLink would be a better for for a 1 day blowout though... how about the mistake when the charity site had them at East Rutherford but it was coldplay? maybe that was just a dste mixup, and its coming as well... the soldier field rumor...starting to feel like football stadium shows are coming

if they get offered a bunch of $, why not? $50 tickets would sell like hotcakes... they could do 1 football stadium show the week between boston/Chicago and after

Fenway/Fenway
    East Rutherford
    Wrigley/Wrigley
    Vikings Stadium
    Seattle

Post edited by my2hands on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    my2hands said:

Remember that guy tweeting about Safeco would be completing the I-90 stadium tour? This would fit the bilI... i always thought CenturyLink would be a better for for a 1 day blowout though... how about the mistake when the charity site had them at East Rutherford but it was coldplay? maybe that was just a dste mixup, and its coming as well... the soldier field rumor...starting to feel like football stadium shows are coming

if they get offered a bunch of $, why not? $50 tickets would sell like hotcakes... they could do 1 football stadium show the week between boston/Chicago and after

Fenway/Fenway
    East Rutherford
    Wrigley/Wrigley
    Vikings Stadium
    Seattle

East Rutherford wouldn't fit the I-90 model. The Carrier Dome though...

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    edited February 2016
    JimmyV said:

my2hands said:

Fenway/Fenway
    East Rutherford
    Wrigley/Wrigley
    Vikings Stadium
    Seattle

East Rutherford wouldn't fit the I-90 model. The Carrier Dome though...
    good point... but I think its close enough... it all merges eventually on the way to Chicago :)

East Rutherford on a Saturday in the summer would sell out easily... everyone on the east coast would grab tickets for that

I think we are finding out something, tour wise, next week... if not, I have no idea what is going on! lol

Post edited by my2hands on
  • "my2hands">

I think we are finding out something, tour wise, next week... if not, I have no idea what is going on! lol

Really hope we hear something by next week
    edited February 2016
    this year has felt huge since the beginning of this thread... it could shape up to the the most ambitious & exciting touring year in band history... so far we have historic baseball stadiums in Boston & Chicago... the legendary Jazzfest... Bonnaroo... Telluride... Madison Square Garden... Philly... Canada... Florida... the Carolinas... Rupp Arena... Hampton Coliseum...

who knows what is still coming, but if that first rollout is a preview, it should be some pretty awesome shit

western tour? football stadiums? dodger stadium? The Forum? how about The Gorge or maybe Red Rocks? small cities? PJ25? fanclub only shows @ The Showbox?

edited February 2016
    http://go963mn.com/news/2016/new-vikings-us-bank-stadium

article from a few weeks ago mentions pearl jam as a potential opening act... it also says that the lower bowl seating is very intimate for a place of its size and feels like an NBA arena... interesting quick read, check it out

where there is smoke...

The Vikings had their latest media tour of Metrodome Part II Tuesday afternoon now that the stadium is officially 90 percent complete.

I was on a similar tour back in July when things were just 65 percent complete. Here are some more thoughts now that the August grand opening is within striking distance. After that, check out my 96.3-second tour of the place.
    •No troughs in the men’s bathroom. This was one of the first things I checked for. The iconic, famous troughs of the Metrodome have been replaced for standard urinals. I was hoping as an homage to the Dome they would bring a few of them over to the new barn but that doesn’t appear to be the case. But alas, it appears there is no more room left for troughs in this automatic flushing urinal world we live in.
    •This place is really cool. I mentioned back in July that the place felt more like a construction site or an airplane hanger. But now it is starting to feel like a football stadium, a really, really cool football stadium. You walk in and the size and magnitude of the place is pretty overwhelming.
    •It’s huge, but feels intimate. Thanks to the advancements in modern architecture since the Dome was built, this place has a really unique feel to it. The building is obviously massive but the seats are so close and situated in a way that it has a small feel to it. The lower bowl feels more like an NBA arena than it does a football stadium. I think this will make for an incredible atmosphere during games and concerts.

•The upper deck is really up there. If you have a fear of heights you may want to hold off on buying nosebleed seats. We got to see the upper levels for the first time and the last few rows are really high. Again, because of the way it’s situated, I don’t think the seats are necessarily as bad as the worst seats at the Dome, but you are really high off the ground.
    •A “rock and roll” concert is coming! A presentation was given before the tour. Ninety-nine percent of it was your typical stats and timelines. But one thing made my ears perk up. They are close to announcing a second concert to go along with the already-announced Luke Bryan. And yes, for those of you sick of country shows, the words “rock 'n' roll” were specifically used. Guns-n-Roses? Pearl Jam? Limp Bizkit? Only time will tell.
    •Start buttering up your friends with suites. Know somebody who has season tickets in a suite or works at a company that will book out the massive party rooms? Start remembering to like all their Instagram photos and actually text them back. We saw one of the giant party rooms as well as an upper level party deck and they looked great.
    •I have become a believer. I am often pretty negative about the Vikings and this stadium -- something friends that work over there constantly point out -- but I was in awe of the place. People will love it. Was it worth a cool half-billion? Probably not. But that’s all in the past. Here in the present, we have a badass football stadium that’s opening this year and it will absolutely blow people -- locally and nationally -- away.
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    Limp Bizkit :lol:
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    their recent track record of quick sell outs at stadium shows and the general hype sure doesn't hurt them
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    I sure hope it's not Coldplay. Are they "rock n roll?"Check out their schedule in august. They are playing football stadiums on the weekends. August 13th weekend they still have open.
    http://www.pollstar.com/resultsArtist.aspx?ID=68411&SearchBy=Coldplay
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16

I sure hope it's not Coldplay. Are they "rock n roll?"Check out their schedule in august. They are playing football stadiums on the weekends. August 13th weekend they still have open.

I was thinking that, is coldplay "Rock and Roll"? I know my vote
  • chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,430
    I cant believe someone mentioned Limp Bizkit in the same sentence as PJ SMH
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    I think it was a joke
  • I am too lazy to do a search so please forgive me if this has been discussed but is it at all possible that we see pearl jam support for guns n roses stadium shows over the summer?

I am too lazy to do a search so please forgive me if this has been discussed but is it at all possible that we see pearl jam support for guns n roses stadium shows over the summer?

I highly doubt it.

• wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346

I am too lazy to do a search so please forgive me if this has been discussed but is it at all possible that we see pearl jam support for guns n roses stadium shows over the summer?

God no.
    NYPJ
  • pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    wall232 said:

God no.
    :lol:
  • wall232 said:

God no.
    It's not my dream by any means but If this happens would you go?

wall232 said:

God no.
    Based on GNR ticket prices I don't think I could afford to go. Plus, I've seen Slash twice with Myles Kennedy singing and that was far better than any show with 2016 Axl.

JimmyV said:

wall232 said:

God no.
    Based on GNR ticket prices I don't think I could afford to go. Plus, I've seen Slash twice with Myles Kennedy singing and that was far better than any show with 2016 Axl.
    This exactly.
  • Well a double header like that would almost be worth the price if each artist played 2+hr sets.
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,061
    One of the Strib sports editors has tweeted out that he's heard PJ at US Bank stadium as well. Couple that with the local connection to the Pohlads (Into The Wild) and their "standing offer" to PJ to play Target Field (along with Ed's supposed affinity for the Twins), and I could see something happening in the Twin Cities.

However, I could definitely see it not happening too. I think PJ will play other shows this year, but I also think/thought that the shows will be announced for the west coast in September/October/November, like in 2013. But...if they are doing a PJ25 "destination event," perhaps this year it is done in a big city, as opposed to a rural setting. Minneapolis would fit that bill, and as a hub airport, it might make sense.

For now, a lot of smoke, who knows if there's fire.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • DeamonDeamon Posts: 153

They'd bring Beyonce and Bruno in to "open" for them and sell the place out.
    1998: Vancouver 7/19
    2005: Calgary 9/4
    2009: Calgary 8/8, San Diego 10/9
    2011: Calgary 9/21, Edmonton 9/23, Vancouver 9/25
    2012: Missoula 9/30
    2013: Calgary 12/2
    2014: Amsterdam1 6/16, Amsterdam2 6/17, Trieste 6/22, Berlin 6/26
    2016: Ottawa 5/8, Toronto 5/10, Toronto2 5/12
    2019: Dusseldorf 6/30 (EV)
    2022: Sacramento 5/18
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,061
    I don't have twitter, so I'll "tweet" this here:

I've heard that the Twins are "talking to PJ" about a date in August.

Who am I? Just a guy who knows someone who would be in a position to know.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    vant0037 said:

I don't have twitter, so I'll "tweet" this here:

I've heard that the Twins are "talking to PJ" about a date in August.

Who am I? Just a guy who knows someone who would be in a position to know.

Pshhh... You're "that guy"

:lol: Just kidding.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    wall232 said:

God no.
    My thoughts exactly - and I really like (early) GNR.