Being frugal VS. Being cheap

Comments

• PJ_Soul said:

Im so frugal/cheap that when the toothpaste is near the end, I make my wife get a razor blade and open it up and scrape the last tiny bit. Hell ya.

Haha. I actually do that with everything that comes in a plastic tube or bottle... except toothpaste. :lol: Shampoo, conditioner, eye cream, etc. I don't want to waste any because all that shit is so expensive, and I can't believe how much is in there when you think it's empty. There are usually still multiple uses left that you can get at if you cut the thing open! But toothpaste.... that shit is cheap as hell. :lol:

It IS good to see you here JonnyP!
    Thnaks PJSoul, you too!
    Yeah with shampoo and laundry detergetn you can add water to the bottle to get the last bit out of course!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    lie because i dont want others to duplicate you..
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    :confounded:

My mom used to pour milk into close to empty jars of jam. Poor man's milkshake!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited December 2015

PJ_Soul said:

Im so frugal/cheap that when the toothpaste is near the end, I make my wife get a razor blade and open it up and scrape the last tiny bit. Hell ya.

Haha. I actually do that with everything that comes in a plastic tube or bottle... except toothpaste. :lol: Shampoo, conditioner, eye cream, etc. I don't want to waste any because all that shit is so expensive, and I can't believe how much is in there when you think it's empty. There are usually still multiple uses left that you can get at if you cut the thing open! But toothpaste.... that shit is cheap as hell. :lol:

Thnaks PJSoul, you too!
    Yeah with shampoo and laundry detergetn you can add water to the bottle to get the last bit out of course!
    Oh man, you're such a guy. image:lol:;)
    (Don't mess with the shampoo, haha!)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

I have sensitive teeth, and the only toother paste that works for me is Sensodyne pro enamel. That shit is not too cheap. So I squeeze the hell out of ours too :lol: I also water down the shampoo and shower gel. And I bought cotton de-make-up pads over from Germany because they are so much cheaper over there. I wish we would have had room for toilet paper :lol: That shit is like a luxury item here!

edited December 2015

PJ_Soul said:

I have sensitive teeth, and the only toother paste that works for me is Sensodyne pro enamel. That shit is not too cheap. So I squeeze the hell out of ours too :lol: I also water down the shampoo and shower gel. And I bought cotton de-make-up pads over from Germany because they are so much cheaper over there. I wish we would have had room for toilet paper :lol: That shit is like a luxury item here!

Well, yeah, I use ProEnamel, and that is double the price of regular toothpaste... but it's still only about $5 CAD a tube. I think I can spare a use, haha! But watering down shampoo? My apologies Jonny, this isn't a guy thing. Apparently this is an everybody but me thing, lol! I feel like watering down hair products would negatively affect my hair, and I've got hair problems as it is. Cutting open the bottle and using every last bit in its original form is the way to go! :tongue:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • I sometimes just rinse my hair with diluted apple cider vinegar. It is fantastic for the scalp and does wonders to make the hair shiny. But I use this stuff for all kinds of things anyways. I also have watered down detergent before. Lol We also buy old bread sometimes to make garlic bread at home. When it is older you can cut it better so it makes for easier filling.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I always cut the back edge off the tube to get the rest out. It seems silly not to.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,627
    Yay frugal! Cheap sucks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    PJ_Soul said:

They actually sell scrapers just for this purpose...like the silicone ones with a super long handle.

Hi pistachio man!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    when i was 16 yrs old or so i worked for these two folks who owned a couple full service gas stations. we had tire service, changed oil & pumped gas. these ppl were well off & stuff.

after dumping quarts of oil into a motor we'd take the nearly empty bottle over to a metal oil can thingy & sit the plastic oil quart bottle into the metal oil can allowing every single drop to drip into the metal oil can, it held maybe a gallon or so.

this is really something. this was their free oil that leo used in his work truck. simple genius really.

i hold the shampoo & conditioner bottle under the shower head once the bottles are low, getting as much product as i can out of those darn bottles. toothpaste - i'm squishing those bastards down to nothing. but i've learned something here (thank you, jonny p. & pjsoul)... i'm gonna cut those bastards wide open from now on.

dish detergent/laundry detergent - i add water & or turn them upside down once they're down to almost nothing, shake it up & we're golden. these soap bottles are clean as can be when we're done w/ them & they're tossed into the recycling bin.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    i had a 3 toot tall lava lamp that could heat my bedroom to the point where i'd get hot & have to get up & turn it off. i wonder if this was saving me $$$ with the heater not running as much?

candles & oil lamps put off quite a bit of heat actually. i want a woodstove or fireplace right this second

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    i save old toothbrushes... not all of them of course just 13 or 8 of them until they're completely greased up or whatever it's called.

i use my old toothbrush to apply waterproofing paste & conditioner to my leather boots. yeah it's pretty slick

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited December 2015
    chadwick said:

i save old toothbrushes... not all of them of course just 13 or 8 of them until they're completely greased up or whatever it's called.

i use my old toothbrush to apply waterproofing paste & conditioner to my leather boots. yeah it's pretty slick

Tothbrushes are wonderful cleaning tools. I use an electric toothbrush so can't use my own old toothbrushes (seriously folks, if you have never used an electric (or battery powered) toothbrush, you truly don't know what you are missing. The difference is unbelievable. You will be amazed. My mouth actually feels gross after using a manual one, because I know the extreme difference an electric makes), but I keep those free toothbrushes from the dentist for cleaning things. :)
  • You can cut napkins in half.
  • Wrap an elastic around the bottom of pump on soap, shampoo,etc.
    Less will come out with each pump.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,627

Wrap an elastic around the bottom of pump on soap, shampoo,etc.
    Less will come out with each pump.

Clever idea!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

chadwick said:

i had a 3 toot tall lava lamp that could heat my bedroom to the point where i'd get hot & have to get up & turn it off. i wonder if this was saving me $$$ with the heater not running as much?

candles & oil lamps put off quite a bit of heat actually. i want a woodstove or fireplace right this second

Before i knew electric heaters existed I used to use candles in my bedroom in the winter. The big one in the glass jar was the best. But id have 3 or 4 going if it was really cold
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • So by cutting the bottom off a toothpaste tube, and getting that last drop out...
    You people are all saving yourselves, umm, about $0.03?

NICE!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • So by cutting the bottom off a toothpaste tube, and getting that last drop out...

NICE!!!

To me, it's not really about saving. It's more like: "Good, if I can squeeze something out one more time, I only have to go for new toothpaste tomorrow, not today". And any 5 bucks I can spend on some fancy butter or olives or whatever instead of tp or toothpaste are useful :loser:

So by cutting the bottom off a toothpaste tube, and getting that last drop out...

NICE!!!

To me, it's not really about saving. It's more like: "Good, if I can squeeze something out one more time, I only have to go for new toothpaste tomorrow, not today". And any 5 bucks I can spend on some fancy butter or olives or whatever instead of tp or toothpaste are useful :loser:
    It's also just about not being wasteful.
  • True that!
  • ldent42 said:

So by cutting the bottom off a toothpaste tube, and getting that last drop out...

NICE!!!

Exactly.
    I wouldn't waste my time cutting the bottom of a toothpaste tube, in order to save $0.03

Instead I would take those same scissors, get out my Sunday paper, and cut out a coupon and save $0.50 on my next tube of toothpaste.
    Actually I wouldn't, but my wife would.

• When it's given you it's last shot and recoils to look like this it's time for a nice new solid one.
  • Ident? Leeze?

Are both of you BIG in to the coupons?
    My wife is. She's not completely insane when it comes to the coupons, but she is getting there...Hahaha

ldent42 said:

NICE!!!

Exactly.
    I wouldn't waste my time cutting the bottom of a toothpaste tube, in order to save $0.03

Instead I would take those same scissors, get out my Sunday paper, and cut out a coupon and save $0.50 on my next tube of toothpaste.

Speedy probably uses the $1 bottle of shampoo.

Most ladies don't. I won't say how much I pay for shampoo, but I will even put water in the bottle and swirl it around so I can get ever last bit out. Because that last bit isn't $0.03.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
    edited December 2015
    RKCNDY said:

ldent42 said:

NICE!!!

Exactly.

Speedy probably uses the $1 bottle of shampoo.

Most ladies don't. I won't say how much I pay for shampoo, but I will even put water in the bottle and swirl it around so I can get ever last bit out. Because that last bit isn't $0.03.
    I am thinking 90% of us here have swished water around in a shampoo bottle.
    I am thinking that less than 1% are cutting the bottoms off of toothpaste.

There is a limit to my cheapness.

Ha
  • Ident? Leeze?

Are both of you BIG in to the coupons?
    My wife is. She's not completely insane when it comes to the coupons, but she is getting there...Hahaha

I like a good coupon. But I don't collect them. I love coupon codes for online stuff. I made a photo book today with 20 pages and numerous pictures in it, for a trial offer for 5 bucks. Then i looked for a coupon code and it took 20% off of the trial price + shipping. So in the end I paid 6.60 for a hardcover photo book with 20 pages. I always make my christmas cards like that too. Promo codes are magical :lol:
  • I also have never cut a toothpaste open to get the last bit out. We actually always keep the mini packages we get from the dentist for hard times :lol:
    you get the mini tubes at the dentist? I only get a container of floss...I have to ask for a toothbrush-that I use to clean around the house because I use an electric brush.

- Christopher McCandless