Being frugal VS. Being cheap

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    ldent42 said:

I dunno man. You have no idea what other people finances are like. You could be making good money but especial for people with advanced education you don't know what kind of crazy debt they may have. You don't know if they're supporting a parent or relative who can't support themself.

Cheap assholes buying beers on your tab are just assholes. If you're broke then stay home. But it's not really okay to be judging people like that.

I hear ya. The two guys I was referring to I've know for 10+ years going back to college.
    The one who's a lawyer now, was a cheap ass back in college too. He'd show up to a tailgate and "forgot" to bring his own beer....then would happily mooch off of people then eat their food. He went through college on his parents dime...who were also very well off. He'd only go to the bars if it was $1 pitcher night or some shit, otherwise we'd never see him.

The other was a broke college kid who now makes very good money. Debt free, not married, no kids....still counts every damn penny!
    In college, I was broke, worked two jobs....I busted my ass off to get by.
    He never had to work, got a fat allowance, drove a BMW....and would always mooch.
  • ldent42 said:

I dunno man. You have no idea what other people finances are like. You could be making good money but especial for people with advanced education you don't know what kind of crazy debt they may have. You don't know if they're supporting a parent or relative who can't support themself.

Cheap assholes buying beers on your tab are just assholes. If you're broke then stay home. But it's not really okay to be judging people like that.

You're right, you have no idea what the person next to you is going through. However, one shouldn't be out and about taking advantage of friends just to 'appear' to be living large.
  • ldent42 said:

You're right, you have no idea what the person next to you is going through. However, one shouldn't be out and about taking advantage of friends just to 'appear' to be living large.
    Yep. Exactly. Everyone has their own financial issues, but if you can't afford to go out to dinner with friends or go out for drinks with friends, then keep your ass at home.

I have a really good friend who is brutal with that shit....whenever we are all out drinking, he always throws in a 20 when everyone else throws in 40. Drives me nuts.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    mca47 said:

In college, I was broke, worked two jobs....I busted my ass off to get by.
    He never had to work, got a fat allowance, drove a BMW....and would always mooch.

Say no more my friend. That explains it all. :lol:

I had a friend that did stuff like that. He'd bum cigarettes off anyone and everyone but would never ever buy his own. As a group we'd go out to eat and he'd order a cup of soup if anything at all, and then just eat everyone else's food. Some people really have no shame.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • It never ends.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I like the people that steal extra Taco Bell hot sauce packets and then proudly display them in there homes.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888

Not the same thing exactly, but it makes me think of pot luck parties or going away celebrations at work. The same people that don't bring anything in, or never chip in, are always the first one to show up and fill their plate till its over flowing. Have you no shame???

That, or they bring in something just so shitty. There was a woman at my office who brought in a giant UNSWEETENED bar of chocolate and dropped in on the potluck table and said "dig in". What. The. Fuck.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Jason P said:

I like the people that steal extra Taco Bell hot sauce packets and then proudly display them in there homes.

Wait, people do that?
  • PJ_Soul said:

Not the same thing exactly, but it makes me think of pot luck parties or going away celebrations at work. The same people that don't bring anything in, or never chip in, are always the first one to show up and fill their plate till its over flowing. Have you no shame???

That, or they bring in something just so shitty. There was a woman at my office who brought in a giant UNSWEETENED bar of chocolate and dropped in on the potluck table and said "dig in". What. The. Fuck.
    People are the worst. I'm so glad I work at home a majority of the time and only have to deal with workplace nonsense once or twice a week.
  • We had a person whos wife made fresh rolls. He brought them into work and we sampled them.
    After saying they were good he went on to say "if you are interested in more she will sell them by the 1/2 dozen"
    What.The.Fuck
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,656
    Jason P said:

I get them dry mounted before I frame them.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    Poncier said:

Jason P said:

I get them dry mounted before I frame them.
    A lil Super 77 will take you where you need to go with that. :rofl:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515

We had a person whos wife made fresh rolls. He brought them into work and we sampled them.
    After saying they were good he went on to say "if you are interested in more she will sell them by the 1/2 dozen"
    What.The.Fuck

Does she ship?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • PJ_Soul said:

"Dig in." :lol:
    I hate potluck stuff because I never really trust what people put in their food.

This whole convo reminds me of one time for the Secret Santa, the person who was supposed to send Cav a present never did it, inventing all kinds of excuses. I am sure they did receive a present themselves. Not nice.

• JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Hey, Big Spender!

Where the hell is my Longhorn Steakhouse dinner (×2)?

And my McRib?
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

PJ_Soul said:

"Dig in." :lol:
    I hate potluck stuff because I never really trust what people put in their food.

This whole convo reminds me of one time for the Secret Santa, the person who was supposed to send Cav a present never did it, inventing all kinds of excuses. I am sure they did receive a present themselves. Not nice.

:frowning:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Jason P said:

Ever go through the Taco Bell drive thru? They give you like 20 sauces per taco.
  • Just when I thought the cheapest human being I have ever met....Couldn't become any more cheap.

I am proven wrong.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Details, Speedy.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    I work in an appliance store. My boss found a quarter in a pump of a washer someone brought in because it was making a noise. He put the quarter in his pocket, and brought out a penny to show the customer what was making noise in his washer. 24 cent profit!
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Malroth said:

I work in an appliance store. My boss found a quarter in a pump of a washer someone brought in because it was making a noise. He put the quarter in his pocket, and brought out a penny to show the customer what was making noise in his washer. 24 cent profit!

That's not being frugal or cheap.
    That's being a dishonest dick.
    Malroth said:

Wow!
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091

dankind said:

Fried bologna on toast with butter.
    I have said here, for the last 13 years.

The GREATEST sandwich known to man!

false.
    +1
    ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    geez i suck at quoting
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    lizard! :hug:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Im so frugal/cheap that when the toothpaste is near the end, I make my wife get a razor blade and open it up and scrape the last tiny bit. Hell ya.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    JonnyP, ya cheap bastard! Always good to see you here :)
  • hedonist said:

JonnyP, ya cheap bastard! Always good to see you here :)

Lol, howdy hedo! :D
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited December 2015

Im so frugal/cheap that when the toothpaste is near the end, I make my wife get a razor blade and open it up and scrape the last tiny bit. Hell ya.

Haha. I actually do that with everything that comes in a plastic tube or bottle... except toothpaste. :lol: Shampoo, conditioner, eye cream, etc. I don't want to waste any because all that shit is so expensive, and I can't believe how much is in there when you think it's empty. There are usually still multiple uses left that you can get at if you cut the thing open! But toothpaste.... that shit is cheap as hell. :lol:

It IS good to see you here JonnyP!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata