Options

Another Bullsh$@ Manufactured story to provoke the race card.

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

Correct. She cannot refuse his order once directed. She can bitch about it (say whatever she wants), but she must comply.

And if she doesn't comply, he doesn't necessarily have the right to escalate to physical force, and in this case it likely wasn't justified. That was the point of the link I posted.
    Doesn't 'necessarily'.

What would you have the officer do once she rebuffs his demand? Admit defeat?
    The whole point is that he should never have ordered her to get out of the car in the first place. There was no justification for it, so he backed himself into a corner by doing it. When she didn't comply, he didn't have the right to escalate it to physical force, but he didn't see any other option because his better judgment was clouded by anger. This is a "two wrongs don't make a right" situation - if he hadn't ordered her out of the car without any real justification to do so, and had instead just issued the ticket and allowed her to leave, then he wouldn't have felt compelled to reach in, yank her out, and threaten to taser her. The fact that he (and you) didn't see any other option at that point doesn't make it the right option.
    Donald Trump, the Univ of South Carolina law professor and ME agree with you. Please take comfort in this.
    Yes, the trump card is a real comfort.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947

muskydan said:

I've never seen so many sheep in my life.

Here's some facts for this thread.

No one is responsible for the death except the person who took the life, which was not the officer, or anyone besides the person who killed them selves.

Thousands of people a day are arrested. Not all of them kill themselves. It's not on anyone but the person who makes that decision.

It doesn't matter if the cop said "you're an angel" or if he said "you're a fucking turd" either way he did not kill anyone.

All of this talk, over this, because the mainstream media brainwashes you guys into thinking this shit is important. Like others have mentioned, why is the multiple black on black crimes ignored, but these crimes aren't?

Sometimes stereotypes are there for a reason, and in this case it's justified. Less than 13% of America is made up of blacks, but over 50% of murders are committed by blacks. I love how this is ignored 99% of the time.

Maybe so many blacks wouldn't be killed by police if they weren't crossing lines and breaking laws.

And to answer a few things mentioned here

The reason she was asked how long she was in Texas is because the law states you have 10-14 days to update your license after moving. If it's not it's a ticketable offense.

And the officer had every right to ask her to put out the smoke. It's her ignorance and self entitledment that led her to believe she didn't have to. You can be arrested for obstruction of justice for just about anything, including not complying with an officers order (the defenition of obstruction)

Again, at the end of the day, no one killed this woman but herself. Regardless of how she ended up where she did, she's at fault.

If I killed myself and blamed you guys would it make it right? It wouldnt. Same here with this situation.

It's time to wake up and realize this, and many other specific cases are thrust into the media purposefully, with the intention to fuel these debates on race and police, when it's truly all by design to keep your minds off of the real, bigger issues wrong with this country/government.

No need to reply directly to me, as I won't reply anymore. It's clear people don't care about my opinion here. But it's sad and pathetic to read all this crying over this case. How pc have we become?

Bottom line is this. We decide what actions we take. Our own actions (usually) decide what happens to us. I don't get murderer by the police because I follow the law and am not out in the street waving guns around or robbing stores. Again, maybe there's a reason all of these cases involve black people.

Lastly. Over the weekend a white man was arrested after a concert. He was thought to have been high on lsd. The police hog tied him
    And placed him facedown on a stretcher, and then secured his head to he stretcher, face down. He also died in police custody. Not by suicide but through true police negligence. How
    Many of you have heard that story? Not too many i assume. Again, it's all by design and specific cases are beat to death in the media on purpose.

Try and wake up and see the bigger picture here. The closed mindedness and flock mentality is staggering. I've lost a lot of respect for people here through this thread.

And now.. Let's pretend I didn't say a word and, please carry on :)

Holy crap man!!!!where have you been all my life??? Get ready to get hammered By the majority on here that see and hear only what their silly liberal brains want. Being a realist is taken as racist on here, you'll see.
    Musky, you really need to get out more and enjoy the rest of the site if you haven't read any of Just a Girl's posts before; s/he (for the sake of convenience and given user name I will assume she) has posted all over, but mostly on the Porch. This is the usual format - come into an established thread, post a long, possibly controversial post, state that there's no need to reply as she won't reply but then replies to further posts, sometimes throws out gratuitous insults toward other posters, then disappears again for a bit. That's fine; everyone can posts as much or as little as they want, but if you are looking for your soul mate musky then step out on the porch.
    Yeah, it's what I often refer to as a "hit and run" post.

JUST A GIRL, you seem to have a lot to say and some strong opinions but what is the point of saying, "And now.. Let's pretend I didn't say a word and, please carry on"? Either stand up for you you truly believe or don't bother because we all know you don't really mean for us to pretend you didn't say a word. And, no, I'm certainly not trying to chase you off. It's always good to hear new voices here, especially when those voices are being sincere.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

muskydan said:

No one is responsible for the death except the person who took the life, which was not the officer, or anyone besides the person who killed them selves.

Thousands of people a day are arrested. Not all of them kill themselves. It's not on anyone but the person who makes that decision.

It doesn't matter if the cop said "you're an angel" or if he said "you're a fucking turd" either way he did not kill anyone.

All of this talk, over this, because the mainstream media brainwashes you guys into thinking this shit is important. Like others have mentioned, why is the multiple black on black crimes ignored, but these crimes aren't?

Sometimes stereotypes are there for a reason, and in this case it's justified. Less than 13% of America is made up of blacks, but over 50% of murders are committed by blacks. I love how this is ignored 99% of the time.

Maybe so many blacks wouldn't be killed by police if they weren't crossing lines and breaking laws.

The reason she was asked how long she was in Texas is because the law states you have 10-14 days to update your license after moving. If it's not it's a ticketable offense.

And the officer had every right to ask her to put out the smoke. It's her ignorance and self entitledment that led her to believe she didn't have to. You can be arrested for obstruction of justice for just about anything, including not complying with an officers order (the defenition of obstruction)

Again, at the end of the day, no one killed this woman but herself. Regardless of how she ended up where she did, she's at fault.

If I killed myself and blamed you guys would it make it right? It wouldnt. Same here with this situation.

It's time to wake up and realize this, and many other specific cases are thrust into the media purposefully, with the intention to fuel these debates on race and police, when it's truly all by design to keep your minds off of the real, bigger issues wrong with this country/government.

No need to reply directly to me, as I won't reply anymore. It's clear people don't care about my opinion here. But it's sad and pathetic to read all this crying over this case. How pc have we become?

Bottom line is this. We decide what actions we take. Our own actions (usually) decide what happens to us. I don't get murderer by the police because I follow the law and am not out in the street waving guns around or robbing stores. Again, maybe there's a reason all of these cases involve black people.

Lastly. Over the weekend a white man was arrested after a concert. He was thought to have been high on lsd. The police hog tied him
    And placed him facedown on a stretcher, and then secured his head to he stretcher, face down. He also died in police custody. Not by suicide but through true police negligence. How
    Many of you have heard that story? Not too many i assume. Again, it's all by design and specific cases are beat to death in the media on purpose.

Try and wake up and see the bigger picture here. The closed mindedness and flock mentality is staggering. I've lost a lot of respect for people here through this thread.

Holy crap man!!!!where have you been all my life??? Get ready to get hammered By the majority on here that see and hear only what their silly liberal brains want. Being a realist is taken as racist on here, you'll see.
    Musky, you really need to get out more and enjoy the rest of the site if you haven't read any of Just a Girl's posts before; s/he (for the sake of convenience and given user name I will assume she) has posted all over, but mostly on the Porch. This is the usual format - come into an established thread, post a long, possibly controversial post, state that there's no need to reply as she won't reply but then replies to further posts, sometimes throws out gratuitous insults toward other posters, then disappears again for a bit. That's fine; everyone can posts as much or as little as they want, but if you are looking for your soul mate musky then step out on the porch.
    Yeah, it's what I often refer to as a "hit and run" post.

JUST A GIRL, you seem to have a lot to say and some strong opinions but what is the point of saying, "And now.. Let's pretend I didn't say a word and, please carry on"? Either stand up for you you truly believe or don't bother because we all know you don't really mean for us to pretend you didn't say a word. And, no, I'm certainly not trying to chase you off. It's always good to hear new voices here, especially when those voices are being sincere.

Yes, exactly. Post what you think/feel as long as it doesn't deliberately insult others but don't toy with the other posters by putting in the "I know no-one will agree with me...." tag.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

rgambs said:

Correct. She cannot refuse his order once directed. She can bitch about it (say whatever she wants), but she must comply.

And if she doesn't comply, he doesn't necessarily have the right to escalate to physical force, and in this case it likely wasn't justified. That was the point of the link I posted.
    Doesn't 'necessarily'.

What would you have the officer do once she rebuffs his demand? Admit defeat?
    Would that be so terrible? When you take that attitude that a cop can't ever back down, you are guaranteed to violate rights.
    So compliance with cops is now an optional thing? That's an interesting tactic for cops to take. "I'm going to tell you to do something. You get to decide whether you'd like to or not. If you choose not to, we'll just shrug our shoulders and call it good." Which orders or situations should fall into this category? "License and registration please?", or "Please put out your cigarette?", or "Drop your weapon?", or "Take your hands out of your pockets and keep them where I can see them?". Are you saying the cops should ignore non-compliance? Are you suggesting that we get to choose which lawful orders we get to disregard without consequence? I'm not really following the logic here.

Well said.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    JUST A GIRLJUST A GIRL Posts: 372
    edited July 2015
    Me saying I won't post any more, and saying carry on without mentioning what i said, is because of previous posts.

Say what you want about how I post, but honestly, as soon as I shared honest feelings in the Bruce Jenner thread, I was ostracized.

To go back to that, I mentioned how I do not care what he personally does, but, I was offended how society is pushing 100% for acceptance of people's opinions and feelings. But as soon as I voice my displeasure in something I get jumped on, in total contrast to the point of accepting people for what they believe.

As for the posts on the porch, I admit those came out of frustration. I have been a fan for a long time, and know a ton about the history of the band. And when I see obvious statements that are clearly wrong, or, statements that are totally based upon rumos (pj comic con? Get real) and also, seeing BBH and GLS, two users posting and bumping threads that are "count downs to a tour announcement" when, these posts are based upon nothing more than speculation, is painful. It's border line trolling.

When this happens, and I am right, I don't come gloating. I tried to share my opinion but was instantly told to fuck off. I read the forum every day and enjoy it, but was very disheartened by sharing how I feel in a thread about Bruce Jenner (a thread, which was also title Bruce Jenner WTF?????) that I thought was questioning the obsenity of the decision to change from a man into a woman - meaning I thought it wasn't a pro Jenner thread in the first place.

I'll be happy to share my opinions, but refuse to get baited into arguments over shit that's ridiculous. Which is why my posts seem to be me "exploding" and leaving, because I disagree so much with quite a bit that's said. All this debate here on who's fault it was. It simply is the fault of the person who decided to kill them selves. So I apologize for becoming frustrated over all this discussion on things I find totally irrelevant.

And I stand by my statement that this is manufactured in the press to keep our minds occupied and debate each other - instead of the people coming together and getting frustrated with the people in power and spending the same energy figuring out how to fix those problems, we argue over who was right or wrong in a traffic stop.

I know many won't be able to see things through my eyes, but trust me.. The worlds a lot worse than many here would have you believe. I will keep it real until the end, and apologize if I offend people by doing so.

• Options

Me saying I won't post any more, and saying carry on without mentioning what i said, is because of previous posts.

Say what you want about how I post, but honestly, as soon as I shared honest feelings in the Bruce Jenner thread, I was ostracized.

To go back to that, I mentioned how I do not care what he personally does, but, I was offended how society is pushing 100% for acceptance of people's opinions and feelings. But as soon as I voice my displeasure in something I get jumped on, in total contrast to the point of accepting people for what they believe.

As for the posts on the porch, I admit those came out of frustration. I have been a fan for a long time, and know a ton about the history of the band. And when I see obvious statements that are clearly wrong, or, statements that are totally based upon rumos (pj comic con? Get real) and also, seeing BBH and GLS, two users posting and bumping threads that are "count downs to a tour announcement" when, these posts are based upon nothing more than speculation, is painful. It's border line trolling.

When this happens, and I am right, I don't come gloating. I tried to share my opinion but was instantly told to fuck off. I read the forum every day and enjoy it, but was very disheartened by sharing how I feel in a thread about Bruce Jenner (a thread, which was also title Bruce Jenner WTF?????) that I thought was questioning the obsenity of the decision to change from a man into a woman - meaning I thought it wasn't a pro Jenner thread in the first place.

I'll be happy to share my opinions, but refuse to get baited into arguments over shit that's ridiculous. Which is why my posts seem to be me "exploding" and leaving, because I disagree so much with quite a bit that's said. All this debate here on who's fault it was. It simply is the fault of the person who decided to kill them selves. So I apologize for becoming frustrated over all this discussion on things I find totally irrelevant.

And I stand by my statement that this is manufactured in the press to keep our minds occupied and debate each other - instead of the people coming together and getting frustrated with the people in power and spending the same energy figuring out how to fix those problems, we argue over who was right or wrong in a traffic stop.

Pertinent to this thread, JAG: I can't say I know whether or not this particular story was manufactured to keep us debating in endless circles (although AMT could possibly be used to prove that's true for many stories, hahaha!) but, yes, a lot of main stream press is definitely aimed at keep us numb or ineffectual. I don't even consider mainstream news to be news. It's closer to what I call "a-muse-ment".

I know many won't be able to see things through my eyes, but trust me.. The worlds a lot worse than many here would have you believe. I will keep it real until the end, and apologize if I offend people by doing so.

Pertinent to what else you said, JAG: From my perspective, I would say there's no need to apologize and I don't surely don't believe you meant to be offensive. As for the world being worse than many here would have us believe, I've often been criticized for insinuating the opposite. My opinion is that the world is like an extremely critical patient on it's last breath- as least in terms of being able to support large animal life (including humans) and if we're not careful, it could stay that way for a long, long time. But I also believe if we can harness the will to do so, we have it within our power to stop destroying our life support system. I'm not convinced we will, but my definition of hope says "do what makes sense no matter what the outcome".

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited July 2015
    Yes, the press keeps this shit journalism alive. Even through the idea that everything is being recorded, everywhere. The media thrives on social media. I first saw it on sports center. Hey look what kobe bryant just tweeted. Then, local news, then the 6pm evening news started reading tweet and Facebook posts.

YouTube. The book that can be written on YouTube changing American journalism will win you a prize. It's a mockery of what journalism is supposed to be.

Rant over.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,424
    rr165892 said:

I know about the stickers. I do not support the fraternal order so I don't get stickers. I have gotten out of tickets through my relationships with state and county police.

And blow jobs
    Breathalyzer test?
  • Options

rr165892 said:

I know about the stickers. I do not support the fraternal order so I don't get stickers. I have gotten out of tickets through my relationships with state and county police.

And blow jobs
    Breathalyzer test?
    Smh

If I could only say what I want to say.

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited July 2015
    Ironically,On the way home last night from a concert with 3 others in my Vehicle.I blew by a cop doing 61 in a 50.(right as I peaked a hill he was there,I couldn't see him).He jumped right out and followed.I knew I was getting pulled over so I put on my blinker to let him know I was turning into a side street off the main road,turned on my interior lights,windows down and all my propers in my hand up on the wheel,music down(Pat Benetars Hell is for Children might I add).When he arrived I was polite,I asked him how much over speed limit I was and didn't deny it.I was doing wrong and I was willing to except my responsibility here.
    He gave me a warning and told me to have a wonderful evening.We both respected each other and everyone just went on with there evening.Nice guy.
    Point is if I was a dick I guarantee I get a ticket.
  • Options
    And yes Cal,I know I'm white.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I drove up behind a Tahoe last last on the way home from dinner. I tend to drive faster than most posted speed limits. This vehicle had no police markings on it at all other than a worn sheriffs badge sticker that looked like what gambsy was talking about earlier. I asked my wife if she could tell if there were LED lights in the truck. She said "who cares? Slow down." So I passed the guy. As I'm passing him, I hear the siren. The driver had just beeped it for a second. I knew what it meant. I finished passing him and kept going 70 until I had to turn off figuring he's got me if he wants me.

Anyway, dude doesn't pull me over. There's no way he could have known if I was white or not. It was dark and my windows are tinted. I guess I have no point. Just rr and I drive to fast.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I have a need for speed.
    You got the old,I'm on my way home,off shift and really don't feel like pulling your dumb ass over ,so slow down please,courtesy light blast.I love that one.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    rr165892 said:

Ironically,On the way home last night from a concert with 3 others in my Vehicle.I blew by a cop doing 61 in a 50.(right as I peaked a hill he was there,I couldn't see him).He jumped right out and followed.I knew I was getting pulled over so I put on my blinker to let him know I was turning into a side street off the main road,turned on my interior lights,windows down and all my propers in my hand up on the wheel,music down(Pat Benetars Hell is for Children might I add).When he arrived I was polite,I asked him how much over speed limit I was and didn't deny it.I was doing wrong and I was willing to except my responsibility here.
    He gave me a warning and told me to have a wonderful evening.We both respected each other and everyone just went on with there evening.Nice guy.

Well played Sir
  • Options
    muskydan said:

rr165892 said:

Well played Sir
    You guys must have a knack for getting off easy. My last speeding ticket (almost 20 years ago) went like this:

I was doing 60 in a 55 zone. As I approached the cop car I just kept going but noticed the officer turned on his overhead light before I even reached him and I was pulled over. Figuring most people do 5 over the limit, I asked why I was being pulled over. He said I was doing 65 in a 55 (I was not). I asked, "How did you determine that?" I was respectful and courteous. He said, "It was a visual". I went to court to fight it and told the judge I was told "It was a visual". The cop lied and said, "I have never said that in my life". Must be the long hair and the van, right? Oh well.

Another time, I was driving the speed limit on a major bay area road and was pulled over. I asked what I had done wrong. I was respectful and polite. The officer said I was drinking beer. I was not. I handed him my can of soda. He told me to wait in the car and went to talk on his radio. I was detained for a half an hour. Must have been the long hair, right? Oh well.

Another time I was with a friend who was trying to calm me down after some rough events in my life at the time. We were up on Twin Peaks in San Francisco talking and looking out over the city at night. Two cops came up to my car and hauled us out and threw us in the back of the squad car and began to question us harshly. We were respectful and polite. They continued to harass us severely and detained us for about an hour. Must have been the long hair and suspicion of being queer, right?

Nicely played?

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

muskydan said:

rr165892 said:

Well played Sir
    You guys must have a knack for getting off easy. My last speeding ticket (almost 20 years ago) went like this:

I was doing 60 in a 55 zone. As I approached the cop car I just kept going but noticed the officer turned on his overhead light before I even reached him and I was pulled over. Figuring most people do 5 over the limit, I asked why I was being pulled over. He said I was doing 65 in a 55 (I was not). I asked, "How did you determine that?" I was respectful and courteous. He said, "It was a visual". I went to court to fight it and told the judge I was told "It was a visual". The cop lied and said, "I have never said that in my life". Must be the long hair and the van, right? Oh well.

Another time, I was driving the speed limit on a major bay area road and was pulled over. I asked what I had done wrong. I was respectful and polite. The officer said I was drinking beer. I was not. I handed him my can of soda. He told me to wait in the car and went to talk on his radio. I was detained for a half an hour. Must have been the long hair, right? Oh well.

Another time I was with a friend who was trying to calm me down after some rough events in my life at the time. We were up on Twin Peaks in San Francisco talking and looking out over the city at night. Two cops came up to my car and hauled us out and threw us in the back of the squad car and began to question us harshly. We were respectful and polite. They continued to harass us severely and detained us for about an hour. Must have been the long hair and suspicion of being queer, right?

Nicely played?

Being a long bearded fellow who drives junk cars (I can afford nicer ones, but view vehicles as a huge waste of money) my experience has been similar at times. I have gotten out of tickets by being polite, and I have been asked out of the vehicle for contraband searches as well. More to do with the officer and the day he/she was having.
    They always seem to think I am dumb enough to drive around with drugs.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

brianlux said:

muskydan said:

rr165892 said:

Well played Sir

Nicely played?

Being a long bearded fellow who drives junk cars (I can afford nicer ones, but view vehicles as a huge waste of money) my experience has been similar at times. I have gotten out of tickets by being polite, and I have been asked out of the vehicle for contraband searches as well. More to do with the officer and the day he/she was having.
    They always seem to think I am dumb enough to drive around with drugs.
    So true Gambs, as to the individual officer. I was helped by a very good, kind officer in a jam once several years ago. I think that was the example I used to start the "Good Cop" thread and I want to encourage and foster that kind of professionalism. But I honestly have to say that over my lifetime, my experiences with cops have been more negative than positive by a big margin. The worst was having a guy I worked with play me an audio tape of him and a fellow jailer beating up inmates for no reason what-so-ever. That was the last time I ever spent any time with that guy- it really fucked with my head. There needs to better higher standards for police officers in this country. Other countries have done it.

• Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    brianlux said:

muskydan said:

rr165892 said:

Well played Sir

Nicely played?

Perhaps your idea of being respectable Comes off differently .... Or perhaps it is your long hair..lol
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,758

muskydan said:

:giggle:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

rr165892 said:

And blow jobs
    Breathalyzer test?
    Does anyone really blow btw? What happens if you suck a breathalyzer test?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    muskydan said:

brianlux said:

muskydan said:

rr165892 said:

Well played Sir

Nicely played?

Perhaps your idea of being respectable Comes off differently .... Or perhaps it is your long hair..lol
    If it's one of those two... gotta be the hair, haha!

• Options
    brianlux said:

muskydan said:

rr165892 said:

Well played Sir

Nicely played?

Brian were you wearing Lennon glasses and did you smell of patchouli oil and sage? lol
    And yes it probably was the hair.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

rr165892 said:

And blow jobs
    Breathalyzer test?
    Then you get into a spit or swallow issue. :))))))))

Sorry PJ,you just left it hangin there.I had too
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rr165892 said:

And blow jobs
    Breathalyzer test?
    Then you get into a spit or swallow issue. :))))))))

Sorry PJ,you just left it hangin there.I had too
    :rofl:
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

muskydan said:

rr165892 said:

Well played Sir

Nicely played?

Brian were you wearing Lennon glasses and did you smell of patchouli oil and sage? lol
    No, I've never worn Lennon glasses or beads and have never been into fragrant oils. In fact, I never liked being called a "hippie". It was all about the music for me. All my musician friends and the musicians I was into had long hair so for me it was about wanting to relate to the music scene. My mother used to cut my hair short and I hated it so I was a bit rebellious that way when I get well into my teens but I've never been a scenester.

In any case, I've never given cause for nor deserved the bad treatment I've received from cops. I don't understand why someone should be treated poorly simply because of the way they look, the color of their skin, etc. I guess many cops don't see it that way.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

muskydan said:

rr165892 said:

Well played Sir

Nicely played?

No, I've never worn Lennon glasses or beads and have never been into fragrant oils. In fact, I never liked being called a "hippie". It was all about the music for me. All my musician friends and the musicians I was into had long hair so for me it was about wanting to relate to the music scene. My mother used to cut my hair short and I hated it so I was a bit rebellious that way when I get well into my teens but I've never been a scenester.

In any case, I've never given cause for nor deserved the bad treatment I've received from cops. I don't understand why someone should be treated poorly simply because of the way they look, the color of their skin, etc. I guess many cops don't see it that way.

I see it as a situation where they are conditioned to expect criminality through past dealings with different phenotypes like race, alternative hair and beard styles, etc, which conformed to the stereotype of criminality.
    The problem is that this conditioning is accepted rather than resisted. It is also a huge double standard that an officer is allowed to have such biases and act on them while people who have had negative experiences with police are expected to suck it up and play nice.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited July 2015
    B - I honestly think it's more of "some" vs "many" cops.

And...I wonder if exposure has anything to do with this, on either side. Maybe it's about that vs conditioning (or are they the same?).
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,424
    I traveled A LOT.

I would get pulled over A LOT.

I would speed A LOT…

Anywho, I have a hard time talking my way out of tickets which is weird because I'm a great talker. Most of the time a cop has his/her mind made up that they are giving you a ticket before they reach your window.

I have been harassed only to be befriended by the cop in the end. Remember my gift of gab?

My vehicle has been searched multiple times, Ive even opened the door for the nice officers.

I've been courteous to them and in the end were reciprocal.

Long hair, beard, shaved head, mohawk, goatee. I've had every look imaginable but I've always been courteous and that will win over in the end. A little respect goes a long way.
  • Options
    I was driving and listening to one of my favourite albums today and had a closer listen to these lyrics by the incomparable Jimmy Cliff. They seem applicable to the original topic, at least, even if not so much to how the thread has evolved.

And no, I didn't get pulled over while driving :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Znh0OM9jiA&list=RD7Znh0OM9jiA
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,523
    edited July 2015
    rr165892 said:

I got pulled over once and was super nice and repsectful.62in a 55.

still got a ticket. frickin pig.
    Post edited by Smellyman on