Options

Another Bullsh$@ Manufactured story to provoke the race card.

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,360
    Might be just semantics but we hear often about an officer needing control.

Seems being in command of a situation is better as opposed to being in control of a situation.

To me in command suggests a more nuanced less emotion driven approach.

If you seek to control the situation you've already lost it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,153
    edited July 2015

Who needs to wake up? I heard that story. The guy was on LSD....it was on the news.

The difference here is that he wasn't arrested for smoking a cigarette. Bland clearly took her own life but her civil rights were violated in the process.

In the process of what? Being arrested? Or while she was committing suicide? She turned into a criminal when she got arrested. So civil right was violated? Her first amendment right to be an asshole?
    Yes...her first amendment right to say whatever the hell she wants. She said "Why do I need to put out my cigarette?" Hard core criminal right there.
    She can say whatever she wants. She can't do whatever she wants and this is where your argument falls flat on its face.

She cannot dictate the terms of the detainment- the cop can and the law supports him to do so. Period.
    How did she dictate it? He arrested her....get off your horse man
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    She was even saying the whole time he was cuffing her "all this over a lane change"

unbelievable

again, to you that just don't see the issue....I agree with the law professor from the Univ of South Carolina. Your opinion means nothing to me.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

She was even saying the whole time he was cuffing her "all this over a lane change"

unbelievable

again, to you that just don't see the issue....I agree with the law professor from the Univ of South Carolina. Your opinion means nothing to me.

It wasn't over just a lane change. It was over her idiocy.
  • Options

Who needs to wake up? I heard that story. The guy was on LSD....it was on the news.

The difference here is that he wasn't arrested for smoking a cigarette. Bland clearly took her own life but her civil rights were violated in the process.

In the process of what? Being arrested? Or while she was committing suicide? She turned into a criminal when she got arrested. So civil right was violated? Her first amendment right to be an asshole?
    Yes...her first amendment right to say whatever the hell she wants. She said "Why do I need to put out my cigarette?" Hard core criminal right there.
    She can say whatever she wants. She can't do whatever she wants and this is where your argument falls flat on its face.

She cannot dictate the terms of the detainment- the cop can and the law supports him to do so. Period.
    How did she dictate it? He arrested her....get off your horse man
    You are thick, man. She dictated it by refusing to put her cigarette out... then refusing to get out of her car. Geezuz.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

unbelievable

So idiocy is a crime now?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

unbelievable

Then stop responding to me.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

unbelievable

Nope. Her refusal to get out of the car is illegal. She didn't get out because she's an idiot.
  • Options

Correct. She cannot refuse his order once directed. She can bitch about it (say whatever she wants), but she must comply.

And if she doesn't comply, he doesn't necessarily have the right to escalate to physical force, and in this case it likely wasn't justified. That was the point of the link I posted.
    Doesn't 'necessarily'.

What would you have the officer do once she rebuffs his demand? Admit defeat?
  • Options

Correct. She cannot refuse his order once directed. She can bitch about it (say whatever she wants), but she must comply.

And if she doesn't comply, he doesn't necessarily have the right to escalate to physical force, and in this case it likely wasn't justified. That was the point of the link I posted.
    Doesn't 'necessarily'.

Would that be so terrible? When you take that attitude that a cop can't ever back down, you are guaranteed to violate rights.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Wow this debate is fun.
    rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

Gern...

But even though it was lawful, it was not good policing. If Encinia was exercising his authority because Bland had refused to comply with his request to put out her cigarette, he was doing so to demonstrate his control over both her and the encounter itself. That is pure ego, and ego has no place in modern policing.

Doesn't that go both ways? If her reaction was lawful, it was not...smart.

And that conclusion after the bolded part is opinion.

I'd be cool with ego being left out of all equations - from the police, to those they pull over for reasonable cause.

I don't believe it goes both ways....HE was the authority figure that should know better. She was the peon that he peed on.
    Poor little innocent woman had no hand in the actions here? How can you not hold her responsible for her own actions Gern?
    Germ, and I acknowledged the idiocy and responsibility of her actions early in the discussion. It wasn't until page 7 or so that you or Thirty acknowledged the problems with his behavior. Until then you we're holding her personally responsible but not him, and you continue to do so by leading the ddiscussion away from his actions to place the blame solely on her.
    I still hold her responsible Gambsy.His disposition was changed by her attitude got shitty.Like 30 said she wasn't man handled or beaten or punched.She was delivered safe and sound for a couple days of time out big kid style.She then killed herself,which has Zero blame or anything to do with the arresting officer.
    If I get a ticket and go home and shoot my wife because I'm mad at the cop is it the cops fault or mine? Mine of course,so why are you guys trying to give him blame?
  • Options

rgambs said:

unbelievable

Nope. Her refusal to get out of the car is illegal. She didn't get out because she's an idiot.
    And he was forcing her out because he's a dick, it looks like the blame is shared pretty equally.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Doesn't 'necessarily'.

Would that be so terrible? When you take that attitude that a cop can't ever back down, you are guaranteed to violate rights.
    Why should he.Its his Job to see it thru.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    And Gambs,why you coming at our new friend Just a Girl like a spider monkey.I was hoping she would stick around.We were even going to get her fitted with a Team Conservative jersey.lol

And I know exactly what she is talking about with the Black on Black crime and hearing crickets from the media.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

Doesn't 'necessarily'.

The whole point is that he should never have ordered her to get out of the car in the first place. There was no justification for it, so he backed himself into a corner by doing it. When she didn't comply, he didn't have the right to escalate it to physical force, but he didn't see any other option because his better judgment was clouded by anger. This is a "two wrongs don't make a right" situation - if he hadn't ordered her out of the car without any real justification to do so, and had instead just issued the ticket and allowed her to leave, then he wouldn't have felt compelled to reach in, yank her out, and threaten to taser her. The fact that he (and you) didn't see any other option at that point doesn't make it the right option.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    You guys seem to think he escalated this.Are you fucking kidding me about who took this shit next level?
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

rgambs said:

Doesn't 'necessarily'.

To see what through? Citation for a traffic violation? That was clearly not the intent. To make sure she respects his authority and doesnt assert her rights? That's what it looks like.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

unbelievable

And he was forcing her out because he's a dick, it looks like the blame is shared pretty equally.
    I disagree on the blame. This is her fault. The cop, maybe he was a dick, was doing his job. That's what he gets paid to do. I would have almost rather seen him punch her in the face. Then your arguments would have merit. Anything to bash a cop.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    rr165892 said:

rgambs said:

Doesn't 'necessarily'.

The law governs how he does his job and what he's allowed to do to see it through.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

unbelievable

I disagree on the blame. This is her fault. The cop, maybe he was a dick, was doing his job. That's what he gets paid to do. I would have almost rather seen him punch her in the face. Then your arguments would have merit. Anything to bash a cop.
    Hahaha anything to protect the reputation of your brothers.
    That you consider this "doing his job" says more than I ever could.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,754

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I think the cop was definitely an instigator of aggression. He had no reason to be grilling that woman the way he was, asking her those questions, and making her get out of the car. He approached the whole thing poorly, and the woman had what I see as an understandable reaction, taking into account the tension between cops and black people in America right now. The cop really should know better. Should she have bitten her tongue? Yes. Should the cop have approached her like a normal cop would during a routine traffic stop? Yes. If anyone should shoulder responsibility for doing something wrong, it should be the COP. He's doing a paid service. He has some responsibilities to meet as a trained, paid employee of the city and a keeper of the peace. The woman is under no such responsibility.

But that actually has nothing to do with the real problem here. I'm much more concerned about her death in police custody.

That's unbelievable. Your first sentence anyway. Even though I don't think cops should have to babysit all prisoners all the time, people should be able to hang themselves in the cells.
    But what if she didn't hang herself?? That is the entire point.
    Ok. I doubt the arresting officer killed her.
    No idea. You never know. Or someone other cop. Indon't think thst because I hate cops.or anything, or because I think cops killing prisoners is common. I'm just reserving it as a possibility because something seems fishy in this particular case. Crazier shit has happened. This isn't a prediction.... it probably does say something about my view of the whole cops/corruption/racism issue in the US, but really my mind is going towards the bizarre. The kinds of cases that end up being studied on an A&E crime documentary.
    Pj, I haven't seen where anyone said an investigation shouldn't happen. I think the main issue here is the woman and the cops behavior here. Conditions in county jails across this nation warrants a thread by itself, IMO.
    I am going directly off of the OP. "Manufactured bullshit" suggests to me that this isn't worth investigation as far as the OP is concerned.
    Okay, how would an autopsy tell anyone if the woman killed herself? Suicide is really easy to fake I should think.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,754

I've never seen so many sheep in my life.

Here's some facts for this thread.

No one is responsible for the death except the person who took the life, which was not the officer, or anyone besides the person who killed them selves.

Thousands of people a day are arrested. Not all of them kill themselves. It's not on anyone but the person who makes that decision.

It doesn't matter if the cop said "you're an angel" or if he said "you're a fucking turd" either way he did not kill anyone.

All of this talk, over this, because the mainstream media brainwashes you guys into thinking this shit is important. Like others have mentioned, why is the multiple black on black crimes ignored, but these crimes aren't?

Sometimes stereotypes are there for a reason, and in this case it's justified. Less than 13% of America is made up of blacks, but over 50% of murders are committed by blacks. I love how this is ignored 99% of the time.

Maybe so many blacks wouldn't be killed by police if they weren't crossing lines and breaking laws.

And to answer a few things mentioned here

The reason she was asked how long she was in Texas is because the law states you have 10-14 days to update your license after moving. If it's not it's a ticketable offense.

And the officer had every right to ask her to put out the smoke. It's her ignorance and self entitledment that led her to believe she didn't have to. You can be arrested for obstruction of justice for just about anything, including not complying with an officers order (the defenition of obstruction)

Again, at the end of the day, no one killed this woman but herself. Regardless of how she ended up where she did, she's at fault.

If I killed myself and blamed you guys would it make it right? It wouldnt. Same here with this situation.

It's time to wake up and realize this, and many other specific cases are thrust into the media purposefully, with the intention to fuel these debates on race and police, when it's truly all by design to keep your minds off of the real, bigger issues wrong with this country/government.

No need to reply directly to me, as I won't reply anymore. It's clear people don't care about my opinion here. But it's sad and pathetic to read all this crying over this case. How pc have we become?

Bottom line is this. We decide what actions we take. Our own actions (usually) decide what happens to us. I don't get murderer by the police because I follow the law and am not out in the street waving guns around or robbing stores. Again, maybe there's a reason all of these cases involve black people.

Lastly. Over the weekend a white man was arrested after a concert. He was thought to have been high on lsd. The police hog tied him
    And placed him facedown on a stretcher, and then secured his head to he stretcher, face down. He also died in police custody. Not by suicide but through true police negligence. How
    Many of you have heard that story? Not too many i assume. Again, it's all by design and specific cases are beat to death in the media on purpose.

Try and wake up and see the bigger picture here. The closed mindedness and flock mentality is staggering. I've lost a lot of respect for people here through this thread.

And now.. Let's pretend I didn't say a word and, please carry on :)

Why isn't there an eyeroll emoji on this site???
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

unbelievable

Hahaha anything to protect the reputation of your brothers.
    That you consider this "doing his job" says more than I ever could.
    Once again, I am not a cop. They are not my brothers.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    rgambs said:

Doesn't 'necessarily'.

So compliance with cops is now an optional thing? That's an interesting tactic for cops to take. "I'm going to tell you to do something. You get to decide whether you'd like to or not. If you choose not to, we'll just shrug our shoulders and call it good." Which orders or situations should fall into this category? "License and registration please?", or "Please put out your cigarette?", or "Drop your weapon?", or "Take your hands out of your pockets and keep them where I can see them?". Are you saying the cops should ignore non-compliance? Are you suggesting that we get to choose which lawful orders we get to disregard without consequence? I'm not really following the logic here.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    "License and registration please"
    "Fuck you copper"
    "I said please"
    "I don't care. You're a dick"
    I wonder how well that will work out...

• Options

Doesn't 'necessarily'.

The whole point is that he should never have ordered her to get out of the car in the first place. There was no justification for it, so he backed himself into a corner by doing it. When she didn't comply, he didn't have the right to escalate it to physical force, but he didn't see any other option because his better judgment was clouded by anger. This is a "two wrongs don't make a right" situation - if he hadn't ordered her out of the car without any real justification to do so, and had instead just issued the ticket and allowed her to leave, then he wouldn't have felt compelled to reach in, yank her out, and threaten to taser her. The fact that he (and you) didn't see any other option at that point doesn't make it the right option.
    Donald Trump, the Univ of South Carolina law professor and ME agree with you. Please take comfort in this.

• Options

Doesn't 'necessarily'.

Donald Trump, the Univ of South Carolina law professor and ME agree with you. Please take comfort in this.
    He doesn't have to have justification to ask her to step out if the car.
  • Options

Doesn't 'necessarily'.

Right....but he shouldn't have. There was no reason to other than satisfying his ego. You can disagree with me, Donald Trump and the Univ of South Carolina law professor if you like but that's where I stand.

• Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    PJ_Soul said:

I've never seen so many sheep in my life.

Here's some facts for this thread.

No one is responsible for the death except the person who took the life, which was not the officer, or anyone besides the person who killed them selves.

Thousands of people a day are arrested. Not all of them kill themselves. It's not on anyone but the person who makes that decision.

It doesn't matter if the cop said "you're an angel" or if he said "you're a fucking turd" either way he did not kill anyone.

All of this talk, over this, because the mainstream media brainwashes you guys into thinking this shit is important. Like others have mentioned, why is the multiple black on black crimes ignored, but these crimes aren't?

Sometimes stereotypes are there for a reason, and in this case it's justified. Less than 13% of America is made up of blacks, but over 50% of murders are committed by blacks. I love how this is ignored 99% of the time.

Maybe so many blacks wouldn't be killed by police if they weren't crossing lines and breaking laws.

And to answer a few things mentioned here

The reason she was asked how long she was in Texas is because the law states you have 10-14 days to update your license after moving. If it's not it's a ticketable offense.

And the officer had every right to ask her to put out the smoke. It's her ignorance and self entitledment that led her to believe she didn't have to. You can be arrested for obstruction of justice for just about anything, including not complying with an officers order (the defenition of obstruction)

Again, at the end of the day, no one killed this woman but herself. Regardless of how she ended up where she did, she's at fault.

If I killed myself and blamed you guys would it make it right? It wouldnt. Same here with this situation.

It's time to wake up and realize this, and many other specific cases are thrust into the media purposefully, with the intention to fuel these debates on race and police, when it's truly all by design to keep your minds off of the real, bigger issues wrong with this country/government.

No need to reply directly to me, as I won't reply anymore. It's clear people don't care about my opinion here. But it's sad and pathetic to read all this crying over this case. How pc have we become?

Bottom line is this. We decide what actions we take. Our own actions (usually) decide what happens to us. I don't get murderer by the police because I follow the law and am not out in the street waving guns around or robbing stores. Again, maybe there's a reason all of these cases involve black people.

Lastly. Over the weekend a white man was arrested after a concert. He was thought to have been high on lsd. The police hog tied him
    And placed him facedown on a stretcher, and then secured his head to he stretcher, face down. He also died in police custody. Not by suicide but through true police negligence. How
    Many of you have heard that story? Not too many i assume. Again, it's all by design and specific cases are beat to death in the media on purpose.

Try and wake up and see the bigger picture here. The closed mindedness and flock mentality is staggering. I've lost a lot of respect for people here through this thread.

And now.. Let's pretend I didn't say a word and, please carry on :)

Why isn't there an eyeroll emoji on this site???
    Because many people on here go through their life w/ blinders on and refuse to acknowledge the real problems of society by placing blame on everyone else ...especially blaming the big bad racist Po-Leeses
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Doesn't 'necessarily'.

Right....but he shouldn't have. There was no reason to other than satisfying his ego. You can disagree with me, Donald Trump and the Univ of South Carolina law professor if you like but that's where I stand.
    I wonder why trump disagrees.......hmm....tough to figure that one out. I'm glad to see you standing behind him.

Since your argument has turned into "at least Donald trump agrees with me" I will be sure to discredit anything you have to say from here on out.