Pearl Jam to Headline Global Citizen Festival

Comments

• Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347

Saltzy23 said:

on2legs said:

my2hands said:

I love the fact that my fellow pearl jam fans booed those 1% fucks

Dont see a need to apologize or explain why either...

Nobody should have spoken after Malala... she is the face of progress, not some citi ceo cocksucker or billionaire

It was good to see some fans still have balls

You're missing the point. People didn't boo them because they're CEO's they booed them because they were impatient for Pearl Jam to play. The booing wasn't a political statement, it was immaturity.
    Wrong. I just laid out exactly why I booed. No one is missing any points. You just refuse to wanna hear why people booed.

In short, anyone that booed Malala=impatient, immature asshole.
    Anyone that booed the corporate bozo's that came after her= justified and 100% valid.
    The majority of the people around me were booing because they were tired of waiting- and stated as much.
    Its a combination of this and the WHY we were waiting at that point. Billionaires sucking each other off and big red buttons after 7 hours of standing is totally justifiable booing material.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    smc317 said:

I went to this festival with the most open mind and lowest expectations I could force upon myself because I knew it was going to be a LONG day and that my favorite part (Pearl Jam of course) was going to be last and feel pretty short, and I think that made all the difference honestly. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the other artists. I could've done with a little less from Beyonce but I was really moved by how much her performance supported girls and that made up for my boredom with most of her music. Even if it's not for me, I'm glad someone with that level of influence is sending such an important message.

I was extremely impressed with Ed Sheeran. The fact that he does all of his songs by himself by looping his backing vocals and what not was awesome. Coldplay weren't half bad either. I generally find them pretty boring (sorry if there are Coldplay fans on here) but I enjoyed their set.

I agree with those who are talking about the talking getting redundant. While these issues are incredibly important and should be repeated, I don't think it worked in favor of the cause. I say this because I passionately agree with everything this organization stands for, but I often found myself zoning out, not purely out of impatience but out of being hit with statistic after statistic from a truly insane amount of speakers. I think it would've had a greater impact if they went out in groups, introduced themselves, and spoke clearly and concisely about a given issue, and maybe only had a couple groups per issue. Less would've been more in this situation.

The speakers also really struggled with reading off the prompter. I was in the first row of VIP 2 about 8 people to the left of the cameras and prompter and could see it perfectly. It was so far away from them and didn't move very smoothly so everything everyone was saying sounded like a run on sentence. I think that was one of MANY reasons Malala's speech was so great, she went completely off prompter. That was all her in the moment! It also didn't help that they didn't utilize the screens very well. Even when they were using the side screens (which were too low and consistently blocked) to show whoever was speaking/performing, they often neglected to use the larger and higher center screen for anything other than what looked like the wallpaper options on my laptop. But, these are minor details that I think if they were addressed could make a very good festival into a fantastic festival!

My only other little complaint is I'm pretty sure Beyonce played exactly an hour 15 and PJ played an hour maybe an hour and five considering RITFW went on for a long time. Not a big deal but naturally as a Pearl Jam fan it ticked me off a bit. I thought they did a fantastic job though closing out the show and I thought it was pretty cool that even the huge Beyonce fan next to me (the guy was wearing a shirt covered in pictures of her face) was enjoying the set.

I understand a lot of the feelings of those on here talking about the CEOs and why they should be booed and while I agree that some of those CEOs don't deserve praise, they were still there doing SOMETHING and silence and disinterest are also effective in showing someone you don't support them or don't think they're doing enough. Booing however can come off as just a bunch of impatient PJ fans who don't care about anything else, regardless of intent.

Anyway, I came away from this thrilled to have seen and heard from many artists/figures I either respect and admire, or simply wouldn't have checked out on my own. And equally thrilled to see one of my favorite bands play, especially in support of such an important cause!

Beyoncé started at 728 and ended at 830.
    NYC 9/26/15
    Mexico City 11/28/15
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    The last few pages of posts have been truly exhausting to follow. But since I can't tear myself away from this thread, here are my thoughts:

To the people mad at the booing:
    I don't feel strongly about people booing. People can do whatever they want. Yes, maybe a little distasteful especially if they were booing at Malala (I personally didn't hear any of this) but the organizers should have planned better. It's a crowd of 60,000 people, people are going to do what they are going to do. Event organizers should be all over how people behave and how to best optimize the experience for it to be successful for all.

To the people booing/mad at the CEOs/Beyonce/whomever for eating into PJ's set:
    Beyonce played an hour. ~7:30-8:30. I was checking because like the rest of you, I was getting antsy.
    As for the talking...even if all the talking had wrapped up earlier, the band wasn't ready!!! Their crew was still on stage checking equipment until a few minutes before the band took the stage.
    Have you seen the setlist Pearl Jam tweeted? They played all the songs. Even Lightning Bolt that was in parenthesis:
    And finally, heard from multiple credible sources that hard stop was 10:10PM. As in, need to pull the plug on things hard stop. So PJ actually went a little over.

So, all that is to say I honestly think the band's set went exactly as planned, maybe started a little later and ended a little later. Everyone breathe....
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    getting all bent out of shape because of 15 minutes. boo indeed. look, this thing sounded like it followed a telethon type format. you get speakers that blather on. rich and famous people with deep pockets asking others for money/action. that's part of the gig. you knew that going in. that's why I stated on Saturday that I didn't get why people were so hyped for this show-it was going to prove to be a major disappointment to many.

stating that "all CEO's" care about nothing but the bottom line is absolute hogwash. is it the norm? yes. but there is a growing number that are actually understanding the impact their industries have and the influence they can have on positive change, knowing the current model is not sustainable. so I don't agree with the assertion that they were just up there "sucking each other off", which is a pretty distasteful way to put it, to be honest.

complaining about the money spent on the show and getting there just shows the real reason you are upset about all of this: you felt you deserved more than you got (all the while admitting you snuck into a section you didn't pay for). and you are wrong.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Saltzy23 said:

on2legs said:

my2hands said:

Nobody should have spoken after Malala... she is the face of progress, not some citi ceo cocksucker or billionaire

You're missing the point. People didn't boo them because they're CEO's they booed them because they were impatient for Pearl Jam to play. The booing wasn't a political statement, it was immaturity.
    Wrong. I just laid out exactly why I booed. No one is missing any points. You just refuse to wanna hear why people booed.

Anyone that booed the corporate bozo's that came after her= justified and 100% valid.
    You also stipulated that you could not speak on behalf of anyone else.

Saltzy23, if you were making a political statement by booing, then good for you.

But most of the Pearl Jam fans booing were just being impatient jerks. Fans of Ed Sheeran had to wait an entire hour, I think, and I'm pretty sure a CEO or two came out during that period as well -- I remember Unilever -- but I didn't hear any booing then. Where were all the "activists" then? Nor did I hear any booing during the speakers before Bey, one of whom was some Gucci bigwig. Where were the "activists" then? I will say that I felt some palpable frustration and excitement in the air ahead of her introduction, mostly due to the way that Salma Hayek Pinault toyed with the crowd. She was working them.

I know it was a long day -- hell, I'm an old geezer whose always tired and cranky, and my entire body was exhausted and aching by 8 p.m. -- but I'm almost positive that had Bey or Sheeran or Coldplay been slated to play last, their fans wouldn't have acted like a bunch of petulant pricks.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    I think these folks that are being dissected are NOT the representation of the larger fan base.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Suziemay said:

Have you seen the setlist Pearl Jam tweeted? They played all the songs. Even Lightning Bolt that was in parenthesis:

And finally, heard from multiple credible sources that hard stop was 10:10PM. As in, need to pull the plug on things hard stop. So PJ actually went a little over.

So, all that is to say I honestly think the band's set went exactly as planned, maybe started a little later and ended a little later. Everyone breathe....
    GREAT POINT Su May!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    We got EXACTLY what the band wanted us to get!!!
    I know I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to attend the concert in the first place.
    MANY of my good friends were either unable to come to New York for the show OR weren't able to win tickets to this event!!
    I was able to spend an evening under the stars, with some of my best friends,
    in one of the greatest cities in the world,
    listening to the GREATEST band in the world for FREE!!!
    I'm a LUCKY MAN!!! :rock_on:

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options

That's exactly what I was going to say. They played the entire set list. The only thing that was cut out was a lot of talking by Ed (he didn't talk much compared to a normal show) and they didn't really play extended versions of any songs.

There was one point when Ed was getting ready to play Imagine and he was talking to someone side stage and yelled, "Yes I know it was cut" or something like that so maybe something did get cut out but they still played the whole set list.
  • Options
    That's exactly what I was going to say. They played the entire set list. The only thing that was cut out was a lot of talking by Ed (he didn't talk much compared to a normal show) and they didn't really play extended versions of any songs.

There was one point when Ed was getting ready to play Imagine and he was talking to someone side stage and yelled, "Yes I know it was cut" or something like that so maybe something did get cut out but they still played the whole set list
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    RPAQ88 said:

There was one point when Ed was getting ready to play Imagine and he was talking to someone side stage and yelled, "Yes I know it was cut" or something like that so maybe something did get cut out but they still played the whole set list

He was talking about the tuning for the song.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I came here to say how disappointed I was by the booing in my section (VIP 3). I was so happy that I had a chance to experience Pearl Jam with my little sister for the first time, and I was frankly embarrassed by the behavior of some of the fans in my section. I'm glad others on here are calling out these people out as well. It was a charity festival for christsake, not a lone Pearl Jam show. Seriously, we were all tired, but it's not hard to not be an asshole.

Also, some of the loudest boo-ers in my my section couldn't even get the energy together to cheer and be excited when Pearl Jam actually started playing. I know I'm probably the only person who sang and danced to every single Beyonce and Pearl Jam song in my section. There's proably a very small group of people who are proud members of both the Ten Club and the Bey-hive ;-)

After Beyonce, I heard some rude comments directed at me any my sister for dancing and singing along. Then when Pearl Jam started, those same people didn't even know the words to Lightning Bolt and looked bored the whole set. There was a distinct lack of rocking in my area.

Normally, Pearl Jam fans are great, and I met a lot of great people waiting in line for 2 hours at the pop up store on Friday. I was just really saddened by the behavior of some of the Pearl Jam fans. My sister would 100% go see Beyonce again, but I'd have to drag her to ever go see PJ again due to the rude fans around us.

Pearl Jam sounded great, and I really hope Redemption Song with Beyonce is the 10 Club Single this year.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    on2legs said:

my2hands said:

You're wrong. I was there. We booed for political reasons (at least the people near me (up front VIP 2)). We'd been talking about politics all day. I'm proud of us not being lemmings and actually thinking about the parts of this festival and organization that are total bullshit. Also, someone earlier said that people who were booing were there "for the wrong reasons." Who are you to decide what the "right reasons" are?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    october22 said:

on2legs said:

my2hands said:

You're wrong. I was there. We booed for political reasons (at least the people near me (up front VIP 2)). We'd been talking about politics all day. I'm proud of us not being lemmings and actually thinking about the parts of this festival and organization that are total bullshit. Also, someone earlier said that people who were booing were there "for the wrong reasons." Who are you to decide what the "right reasons" are?
    I was referring to those that were booing because their precious Pearl Jam didn't go on stage at the pre-determined second they were supposed to.

if you disagreed with the festival, why did you support it?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,449

october22 said:

on2legs said:

my2hands said:

I was referring to those that were booing because their precious Pearl Jam didn't go on stage at the pre-determined second they were supposed to.

I think people are using politics after the fact to cover for being stupid.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    BTW... The lack of alcohol turned out to be a blessing. Zero drunk idiots causing problems. Other than the booing it was the best behaved crowd I've ever seen at a show.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    on2legs said:

BTW... The lack of alcohol turned out to be a blessing. Zero drunk idiots causing problems. Other than the booing it was the best behaved crowd I've ever seen at a show.

Good thing, I suppose. If there was alcohol served, those boos might've turned into something a lot uglier.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,904
    on2legs said:

It definitely was. No drunken idiots puking all over the place....very good call.
    Again, I think one ceo was booed for five seconds; unfortunately people are turning this into something that it's not. We aren't talking about uniondale 2003 here.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    Saltzy23 said:

on2legs said:

my2hands said:

wasn't at the event just watched it on TV but Malala should have been the last speaker. she was incredible. that was one of the greatest speeches i've heard.

as for the people booing the speakers at that point on TV just seemed to drone on and on and on. even Colbert and Jackman realized what a drain it was at that point. i couldn't take it on tv in the comfort of my own chair and warm house, i can't imagine having to sit through that bs after standing for 7 or 8 hours. i totally get why it happened. not sure i would have done it but i get it.

I'm just thankful the booing took place in New York because if that happened in Philly the media would be making it a national story.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,807
    on2legs said:

GREAT point. I was thinking that every time they introduced another speaker.
  • Options
    I was in VIP3, and our area was more of a collective groan rather than overt booing. I didn't boo, but a few of us around me were joking that the message from the speakers would've come across better if they just subbed it in on the inaudible words for Yellow Ledbetter and let EV sing it.

To be fair, there was the similar groaning/crowd dissatisfaction leading up to Beyonce's performance when Salma Hayak introduced one too many speakers/CEO's/dignitaries when people were hoping for Beyonce, so it's not like Pearl Jam fans were the only people frustrated.

Agree with everyone else who said that if you were there from 4 pm on, you heard the same message over multiple collective hours of speeches and that by the end of the night it was getting diluted and counterproductive since they're already preaching to the choir. Other than a few highlight speeches can anyone really recall anything different between speeches from the PM of Norway, the PM of Sweden, chair of World Bank, Secretary General of UN, Richard Branson, Mark Zuckerburg, Joe Biden, exec from Verizon, exec from Caterpillar, exec from Gucci, etc. said?
    If the organizers just kept it to Michele Obama (even though her speech was the same one we saw about 2.5 hours early that she pre-recorded on video), Bono, and Malala, and then went right to Pearl Jam, even if it took 20-30 minutes, people would've been satisfied. It was the collective piling on of speakers at the end (especially billionaire CEOs) that was the straw that broke the camel's back. If they had all just been introduced and pressed the giant red button together, I think people could've tolerated it. Instead, they went through the line up and gave every CEO a chance to pat himself/herself on the back and push the button.

Without the benefit of seeing the set list and knowing that they didn't cut anything (comment before Imagine was referring to "drop D" tuning rather than "dropped it" song from set), everyone around me was equating each speech with less music. A few joked after one CEO's speech "well, I guess we're not getting Lukin since they just gave him 2 minutes." It just led to mounting frustration which is understandable.

I've been to multi-band charity festivals like Tibetan Freedom Concert and I get the whole point behind GCF and support the cause. TFC had very few speakers and a much better balance in favor of emphasis on the music. Like others though I think the organizers could have done a better job in being selective about the speakers since I think it ultimately watered down their message. Sometimes less is more.
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22
  • Options

october22 said:

on2legs said:

my2hands said:

Because I wanted to see Pearl Jam. I bought my ticket from ticketmaster. Global Citizen got some of my money and I'm cool with that. I sincerely hope it helps do some good. However, I did disagree with some of the politics that day.
  • Options
    on2legs said:

october22 said:

on2legs said:

my2hands said:

Really? Were you there?
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I had a great time
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options

I had a great time

Same here!
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    the only PJ show I've ever been to with no alcohol or chemicals
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Alcohol at concerts is extremely overrated... wish i figured that out a lot sooner lol
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    edited September 2015
    my2hands said:

Alcohol at concerts is extremely overrated... wish i figured that out a lot sooner lol

Schrooms on the other hand....fantastic.

The whole day was bliss.

Still cannot believe the Mets clinched 3 hours before I heard EV sing Imagine in Central Park.

Cosmic levels of awesomeness.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    october22 said:

I had a great time

Same here!
    me three!

love the no alcohol rule too. even though people snuck it in. i had a drunk AF woman in vip2 offering me and my bf vodka...
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Options
    october22 said:

on2legs said:

october22 said:

on2legs said:

my2hands said:

Really? Were you there?
    I was there for the whole show. :smiley: And it was embarrassing to see people boo the speakers like they were the Boston Red Sox.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    on2legs said:

Great comment. Love to go to non alcohol concert.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG