Options

Pearl Jam to Headline Global Citizen Festival

Comments

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    fugawzi said:

Thanks dankind thanks speedy and every other reasonable poster here. I'm not saying i wasn't getting anxious for PJ to come on. I'm not saying that the message wasn't redundant after about 5 hours. But because I'm an adult who knew what he was getting into I just sat there patiently and waited for PJ to come on without embarrassing myself by booing like a retard.

Anyone who was tired of the same message after hours and hours CHOSE to sit there and listen, myself included. You could have waited until let's say 8 to get there and you would have heard less than an hour of the speakers. Again we all knew this wasn't gonna be just a PJ show. I had heard PJ was coming on at 915 which they did but even if you expected them at 9 you only waited an extra 15 minutes. Waaaahhh.

Last thing I'm gonna say on this. There are some philanthropists that actually do give money away like Warren Buffet and even Bill Gates who was there and got booed last night of course. That doesn't solve the issue and neither does simple awareness. As I said before it will take people as a whole to eradicate poverty by taking action, getting involved, demanding policy changes, VOTING and on and on. I'm not the most articulate when it comes to this issue but the video with the quote from Mandela that was played during Ed and Beyoncé's duet on Redmeption Song pretty much nailed it and nowhere did it say billionaires should just give their money away. Here are some quotes from it:

"Overcoming poverty is NOT A TASK OF CHARITY, it is an act of justice. Like Slavery and Apartheid, poverty is not natural. It is man-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the ACTIONS OF HUMAN BEINGS. Sometimes it falls on a generation to be great. You can be that great generation. Let your greatness blossom."

That's just a piece of it but it sums it up well.

Imagine followed by Redemption song was the epitome of what the Festival was all about. Pearl Jam was invited by Hugh Evans to perform. The whole reason for the Festival was about the Global Goals and each of the people that spoke between performances were active in one or more of the initiatives. Most of the people in the park got GA tickets after taking actions to help make each of the goals possible. The head of Norway got involved after Stephen Colbert pushed a Twitter campaign to her and she finally said what can I do to make a difference (and stop the barrage of Tweets). The people on stage have been involved in the campaign on a daily basis for, in some cases, years. They should be recognized. That was the reason that the Festival was able to occur in the first place. Without all of the people that were booed; there would be no Global Poverty Project and there would have been no concert and no opportunity to even see Pearl Jam last night.
    You could see how uncomfortable the people who are the backbone of the entire movement that allowed us to see Pearl Jam were and to boo the people who organized the event and have made a difference is rude and not in keeping with the entire spirit of the event. Big picture - people living without sanitation, girls being killed for wanting an education, clean water, saving our planet and the people who are living with no ability to even view or know that this was occurring is FAR more important than having to wait to see your favorite band. Booing them was the same as booing Pearl Jam for being involved with the project. Annoying, boring - perhaps, but to boo ANYONE involved in this lofty goal is ignorant. We have to be an example as adults. It was The Global Poverty Festival, not a Pearl Jam concert. If you were working your ass off to make a difference and were booed as you had 5 minutes on stage to thank those people taking action and explain how much people's actions matter, how would you feel? Did anyone who booed do any of the actions that were requested of them during the festival?
    Booing was beneath the respect that Pearl Jam should get as an activist band and some fans did not represent the band's intentions. They gave a negative vibe to the band's participation, especially to those who were fans of other bands or just there to be part of the movement. I'm not hating on anyone and I don't always do the right thing by any means. I just don't comprehend how you boo another human being for doing the right thing. It's mean and hurtful.
  • Options
    njnancy said:

fugawzi said:

Thanks dankind thanks speedy and every other reasonable poster here. I'm not saying i wasn't getting anxious for PJ to come on. I'm not saying that the message wasn't redundant after about 5 hours. But because I'm an adult who knew what he was getting into I just sat there patiently and waited for PJ to come on without embarrassing myself by booing like a retard.

Anyone who was tired of the same message after hours and hours CHOSE to sit there and listen, myself included. You could have waited until let's say 8 to get there and you would have heard less than an hour of the speakers. Again we all knew this wasn't gonna be just a PJ show. I had heard PJ was coming on at 915 which they did but even if you expected them at 9 you only waited an extra 15 minutes. Waaaahhh.

Last thing I'm gonna say on this. There are some philanthropists that actually do give money away like Warren Buffet and even Bill Gates who was there and got booed last night of course. That doesn't solve the issue and neither does simple awareness. As I said before it will take people as a whole to eradicate poverty by taking action, getting involved, demanding policy changes, VOTING and on and on. I'm not the most articulate when it comes to this issue but the video with the quote from Mandela that was played during Ed and Beyoncé's duet on Redmeption Song pretty much nailed it and nowhere did it say billionaires should just give their money away. Here are some quotes from it:

"Overcoming poverty is NOT A TASK OF CHARITY, it is an act of justice. Like Slavery and Apartheid, poverty is not natural. It is man-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the ACTIONS OF HUMAN BEINGS. Sometimes it falls on a generation to be great. You can be that great generation. Let your greatness blossom."

Imagine followed by Redemption song was the epitome of what the Festival was all about. Pearl Jam was invited by Hugh Evans to perform. The whole reason for the Festival was about the Global Goals and each of the people that spoke between performances were active in one or more of the initiatives. Most of the people in the park got GA tickets after taking actions to help make each of the goals possible. The head of Norway got involved after Stephen Colbert pushed a Twitter campaign to her and she finally said what can I do to make a difference (and stop the barrage of Tweets). The people on stage have been involved in the campaign on a daily basis for, in some cases, years. They should be recognized. That was the reason that the Festival was able to occur in the first place. Without all of the people that were booed; there would be no Global Poverty Project and there would have been no concert and no opportunity to even see Pearl Jam last night.
    You could see how uncomfortable the people who are the backbone of the entire movement that allowed us to see Pearl Jam were and to boo the people who organized the event and have made a difference is rude and not in keeping with the entire spirit of the event. Big picture - people living without sanitation, girls being killed for wanting an education, clean water, saving our planet and the people who are living with no ability to even view or know that this was occurring is FAR more important than having to wait to see your favorite band. Booing them was the same as booing Pearl Jam for being involved with the project. Annoying, boring - perhaps, but to boo ANYONE involved in this lofty goal is ignorant. We have to be an example as adults. It was The Global Poverty Festival, not a Pearl Jam concert. If you were working your ass off to make a difference and were booed as you had 5 minutes on stage to thank those people taking action and explain how much people's actions matter, how would you feel? Did anyone who booed do any of the actions that were requested of them during the festival?
    Booing was beneath the respect that Pearl Jam should get as an activist band and some fans did not represent the band's intentions. They gave a negative vibe to the band's participation, especially to those who were fans of other bands or just there to be part of the movement. I'm not hating on anyone and I don't always do the right thing by any means. I just don't comprehend how you boo another human being for doing the right thing. It's mean and hurtful.</blockquote

:clap: Well stated njnancy!
  • Options
    njnancy said:

fugawzi said:

Booing was beneath the respect that Pearl Jam should get as an activist band and some fans did not represent the band's intentions. They gave a negative vibe to the band's participation, especially to those who were fans of other bands or just there to be part of the movement. I'm not hating on anyone and I don't always do the right thing by any means. I just don't comprehend how you boo another human being for doing the right thing. It's mean and hurtful.
    RIGHT ON!

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,905
    edited September 2015
    my2hands said:

Not sure why you would have anyone speak after The First Lady and Malala... let alone a bunch of white ceo's aND billionaires... I thought that was in poor taste and very poorly planned

And then to take as long as they did, with pushing that stupid red button and literally acting as if that was actually making a difference and saving lives??? lol, I thought it was pretty bad

Anyone booing Malala is a fucking moron... out of all the world leaders and billionaires, that girl was the only speaker that mattered in my opinion... that girl is a hero... it's no surprise our boy EV recognized that and gave her a shout

Bingo. And one ceo was booed for like five seconds by the vast minority of people. Not really a big deal.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,920

Mike McCready and Jason Sudeikis attend 2015 Global Citizen Festival to end extreme poverty by 2030 in Central Park on September 26, 2015 in New York City.
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    edited September 2015
    SNL absolutely has to do a skit of the last 15 min heading into PJ. Bill Gates while his wife was speaking was hysterical. Then the fact they got these CEOs to push a stupid fake red lit button to set a Close Encounters of The Third Kind special effect was an all time goof. Then to top it off with Bill Nye the Science Guy fanning Stone's playing with a card(?). My god. I know I had some help, but how any of the SNL guys watching that could not make a total spoof of it would be an actual crime.

Why folks are worried about booing, talking, yelling. Who cares? It's a festival with 60,000 people If you've ever been around more than 2 people at once, you'll understand that everyone acts differently.

PJ sounded great to me. What a blast. Mike put his freaking stamp on the place. Lightning Bolt and Betterman will never be the same for me. Hope he keeps doing that on tour. Eddie sounded better than I've heard him in a while. Jeff and Matt drove hard and tight (ha, ha) and Stone was Stone. Imagine in Central Park. John would be proud.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,853

SNL absolutely has to do a skit of the last 15 min heading into PJ. Bill Gates while his wife was speaking was hysterical. Then the fact they got these CEOs to push a stupid fake red lit button to set a Close Encounters of The Third Kind special effect was an all time goof. Then to top it off with Bill Nye the Science Guy fanning Stone's playing with a card(?). My god. I know I had some help, but how any of the SNL guys watching that could not make a total spoof of it would be an actual crime.

Why folks are worried about booing, talking, yelling. Who cares? It's a festival with 60,000 people If you've ever been around more than 2 people at once, you'll understand that everyone acts differently.

PJ sounded great to me. What a blast. Mike put his freaking stamp on the place. Lightning Bolt and Betterman will never be the same for me. Hope he keeps doing that on tour. Eddie sounded better than I've heard him in a while. Jeff and Matt drove hard and tight (ha, ha) and Stone was Stone. Imagine in Central Park. John would be proud.

Well said, my friend. LB was incredible....def one of my highlights. Sublime weather spent in Central Park w Pearl Jam and fans from around the world = a little slice of bliss
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    The boo's came from people annoyed with the heads of organizations like the fucking World Bank, the UN, Citi Bank and others suggesting that we, the audience, "do more." They're pieces of shit the likes of which I believe Eddie himself would have booed back in the day.

I didn't hear or see anyone booing Malala. That's totally unacceptable and I can't believe that was more than just a couple of people. It didn't register on TV at all.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    We have the best fans of any band - anywhere
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,853

We have the best fans of any band - anywhere

+1
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    People booing the speakers were obviously there for the wrong reasons.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I was thrilled to be there. I think everyone that booed is an embarrassment.
    Was I done hearing the same thing from different people on stage? Of course I was. Do I wish Pearl Jam set was longer? Sure do.
    But I also understand that we were a captive audience, and the message they were sending is very important.

Let's stop with the whining, and remember "imagine" being played so amazingly in central park no less. That alone was worth everything.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    When it turned into corporatioins and their shills on stage doing more product placement than anything else I got a little annoyed.

It's a great cause and Corporate help is needed (since they are big part of the problem) but it was all about getting their brand out and doing an infomercial than actually caring. imo

and that stupid button...

Colbert "speed it along the ceo's time is $10,000 per second" Ha.
  • Options
    smc317smc317 New Jersey Posts: 14
    I went to this festival with the most open mind and lowest expectations I could force upon myself because I knew it was going to be a LONG day and that my favorite part (Pearl Jam of course) was going to be last and feel pretty short, and I think that made all the difference honestly. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the other artists. I could've done with a little less from Beyonce but I was really moved by how much her performance supported girls and that made up for my boredom with most of her music. Even if it's not for me, I'm glad someone with that level of influence is sending such an important message.

I was extremely impressed with Ed Sheeran. The fact that he does all of his songs by himself by looping his backing vocals and what not was awesome. Coldplay weren't half bad either. I generally find them pretty boring (sorry if there are Coldplay fans on here) but I enjoyed their set.

I agree with those who are talking about the talking getting redundant. While these issues are incredibly important and should be repeated, I don't think it worked in favor of the cause. I say this because I passionately agree with everything this organization stands for, but I often found myself zoning out, not purely out of impatience but out of being hit with statistic after statistic from a truly insane amount of speakers. I think it would've had a greater impact if they went out in groups, introduced themselves, and spoke clearly and concisely about a given issue, and maybe only had a couple groups per issue. Less would've been more in this situation.

The speakers also really struggled with reading off the prompter. I was in the first row of VIP 2 about 8 people to the left of the cameras and prompter and could see it perfectly. It was so far away from them and didn't move very smoothly so everything everyone was saying sounded like a run on sentence. I think that was one of MANY reasons Malala's speech was so great, she went completely off prompter. That was all her in the moment! It also didn't help that they didn't utilize the screens very well. Even when they were using the side screens (which were too low and consistently blocked) to show whoever was speaking/performing, they often neglected to use the larger and higher center screen for anything other than what looked like the wallpaper options on my laptop. But, these are minor details that I think if they were addressed could make a very good festival into a fantastic festival!

My only other little complaint is I'm pretty sure Beyonce played exactly an hour 15 and PJ played an hour maybe an hour and five considering RITFW went on for a long time. Not a big deal but naturally as a Pearl Jam fan it ticked me off a bit. I thought they did a fantastic job though closing out the show and I thought it was pretty cool that even the huge Beyonce fan next to me (the guy was wearing a shirt covered in pictures of her face) was enjoying the set.

I understand a lot of the feelings of those on here talking about the CEOs and why they should be booed and while I agree that some of those CEOs don't deserve praise, they were still there doing SOMETHING and silence and disinterest are also effective in showing someone you don't support them or don't think they're doing enough. Booing however can come off as just a bunch of impatient PJ fans who don't care about anything else, regardless of intent.

Anyway, I came away from this thrilled to have seen and heard from many artists/figures I either respect and admire, or simply wouldn't have checked out on my own. And equally thrilled to see one of my favorite bands play, especially in support of such an important cause!
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,449
    october22 said:

The boo's came from people annoyed with the heads of organizations like the fucking World Bank, the UN, Citi Bank and others suggesting that we, the audience, "do more." They're pieces of shit the likes of which I believe Eddie himself would have booed back in the day.

I didn't hear or see anyone booing Malala. That's totally unacceptable and I can't believe that was more than just a couple of people. It didn't register on TV at all.

The booing was embarrassing. Maybe you had to be there.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Saltzy23 said:

Also, the one line at the end about how collectively these guys make like $100MM an hour and here they are volunteering their time, I mean holy fucking fuck. That had to be the most incredible thing I've ever witnessed. Horrid. At at a show promoting how we are all equal? Horribly horrid. That make my skin crawl it was so awful.

If I'm a dick for booing that, than I'm a dick...

BOOOO!!!!

That was a joke. Clearly, a joke.
  • Options
    Does anyone else understand how Bill and Melinda introduced the Italian PM, and then two women showed up on stage?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

You're right. The younger fans of the other headliners were attentive and respectful of the speakers before their acts took the stage, whereas the elder Pearl Jam fans acted like a bunch of babies who lost their rattles.

Maybe we're jaded because some of us whistled the same tune when we were younger and don't believe it did a goddamn thing. And I'm not going to lie, some days when I'm going through all the awful news happening around the world, I'm right there in that head space. But the fact is, our generation did make a positive difference when it comes to the issue of eradicating extreme poverty on a global level. And yes, we made some grave mistakes along the way (or allowed grave mistakes to be made), but with our help and the help of some deep-pocketed corporations and global organizations such as the UN and World Bank, the younger generation is primed to right those wrongs and finish the job. Let's not discourage that.

"All that's sacred...."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    edited September 2015

This is just so unfair to the people that that stood for up to 7 hours, many of which had also waited in line for up to 2-3 hours from what I've heard. Anyone there for the whole show had heard the message over and over for an entire day. They announced PJ would go on at 9. They lied so that the richest, most powerful men on the planet could pretend like they care about the little people and get face time on national TV during a charity event and push a big red button that was apparently gonna fix the world.

I have an odd feeling that people with this sentiment either watched on TV, or walked in right before PJ took the stage.

Everyone around me that booed was sober, and at least based strictly off appearance at least, nice respectable people. No one any where near me booed Malala, except one guy who was told by everyone around him to pipe down and show some respect.

One she left the stage and everyone was under the impression that PJ was next, only to be followed by 15 minutes of corporate dick sucking at the expense of hearing the band that a lot of people paid a LOT of money and some traveled incredibly far to see, people started getting anxious and upset.

I've read all the posts to the contrary and honestly thought about the whole thing a lot since Saturday night and the honest truth is that if I was put in the same situation again, I would do the exact same thing. That 15 minutes served NO purpose except to placate men worth almost $100B at the expense of hearing PJ play. I'm sorry if that sentiment offends anyone here, but it's my opinion and I'm entitled to have it.
    Post edited by Saltzy23 on
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2015
    Saltzy23 said:

This is just so unfair to the people that that stood for up to 7 hours, many of which had also waited in line for up to 2-3 hours from what I've heard. Anyone there for the whole show had heard the message over and over for an entire day. They announced PJ would go on at 9. They lied so that the richest, most powerful men on the planet could pretend like they care about the little people and get face time on national TV during a charity event and push a big red button that was apparently gonna fix the world.

I have an odd feeling that people with this sentiment either watched on TV, or walked in right before PJ took the stage.

Everyone around me that booed was sober, and at least based strictly off appearance at least, nice respectable people. No one any where near me booed Malala, except one guy who was told by everyone around him to pipe down and show some respect.

One she left the stage and everyone was under the impression that PJ was next, only to be followed by 15 minutes of corporate dick sucking at the expense of hearing the band that a lot of people paid a LOT of money and some traveled incredibly far to see, people started getting anxious and upset.

I've read all the posts to the contrary and honestly thought about the whole thing a lot since Saturday night and the honest truth is that if I was put in the same situation again, I would do the exact same thing. That 15 minutes served NO purpose except to placate men worth almost $100B at the expense of hearing PJ play. I'm sorry if that sentiment offends anyone here, but it's my opinion and I'm entitled to have it.
    Entitled is right.

Did you think that the format of the entire festival was going to change just because Pearl Jam was taking the stage? Would the crowd have been more respectful if the suits lighting up the world bit had gone on earlier and we got the PM of Norway instead? You make it sound like the only reason they were booed was because they were corporate heads, but the booing in my section started with Malala and got more aggressive as each speaker was announced. Fucking hell, Ban Ki-moon got a Bronx cheer.

I'm assuming that the Italian PM was bumped for time constraints. So you've got that going for you....
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    dankind said:

Saltzy23 said:

Entitled is right.

Did you think that the format of the entire festival was going to change just because Pearl Jam was taking the stage? Would the crowd have been more respectful if the suits lighting up the world bit had gone on earlier and we got the PM of Norway instead? You make it sound like the only reason they were booed was because they were corporate heads, but the booing in my section started with Malala and got more aggressive as each speaker was announced. Fucking hell, Ban Ki-moon got a Bronx cheer.

I'm assuming that the Italian PM was bumped for time constraints. So you've got that going for you....
    I cannot speak on behalf of anyone else. All I can say is that yes, I personally booed 2 specific instances. 1. Yes, the corporate billionaires acting as though they care about this cause, or anyone but themselves in general really... (Bill Gates aside. Him, I have respect for what he has done). I am unsure where you are from, nor what you do for a living, but after the week I just had there is no way I have the ability to hear corporate leaders talk about how much they care about the little people when they don't even care about the people that fucking work for them. I've had assignments at the biggest most well known corporations and IB's on the planet, where I was treated like absolute garbage and where assignments were cut short and where I was notified AFTER I left for the day by my recruiters where I didn't even get to say goodbye to the people I worked with, and where my shit was literally thrown into a box and shipped back to me with no care whatsoever. They lay off entire fucking divisions without batting an eyelash, and then go play 18 holes. I am not saying this as opinion. I am saying this as fact. I have been in high level meetings at big, worldwide corporations and believe me when I tell you that the guys on top could not possibly care less about anyone but themselves, CERTAINLY not starving or abused people living half way around the world. The notion is absolutely laughable to me to be honest. They care about profits and revenues. Period. End of sentence. You are incredibly naïve if you think otherwise.

2. Anything to do with the 'Action Center' updates to how many new actions and how historic this all was, and big red buttons. After 7 hours of standing I and many others had lost patience for symbolic gestures that have no tangible effect on the world, or on the cause itself.

I appreciate your wide eyed enthusiasm for trying to make the world a better place. I honestly, truly do man. I am just too old, jaded and have seen too much to feel the same way anymore.
    Post edited by Saltzy23 on
  • Options
    sanjamsanjam CT Posts: 6
    had 10c vip2s gave them to a friend when ended up with vip1s through a friend at Caterpillar. we put our time in and little by little we made it to the rail. had malia obama standing next to us. got a good pic of a fan w stickman shirt and secret service girl in front of him. the speakers and ceos were ok we knew it was going to be part of the deal. it was the hour set of beyonce half singing half lip syncing that made me want to stick a pencil in my eye not the speakers. couldn't hear any booing hopefully they didn't hear it from the stage because that is rude. we had one jerk heckeler and we told him to move or we going to move him. he had a 10c shirt on and was completely wasted. he made us look bad. PJ set was too short but same we know it would be. Glad i went. imagine and redemption was awesome. will try to post pics later............l
    HELLO!
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I love the fact that my fellow pearl jam fans booed those 1% fucks

Dont see a need to apologize or explain why either...

Nobody should have spoken after Malala... she is the face of progress, not some citi ceo cocksucker or billionaire

It was good to see some fans still have balls
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,449
    my2hands said:

Nobody should have spoken after Malala... she is the face of progress, not some citi ceo cocksucker or billionaire

You're missing the point. People didn't boo them because they're CEO's they booed them because they were impatient for Pearl Jam to play. The booing wasn't a political statement, it was immaturity.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    my2hands said:

E-high five brother!
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,860
    edited September 2015
    Saltzy23 said:

my2hands said:

E-high five brother!
    I'm with you guys.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    JDjrJDjr Posts: 69
    edited September 2015
    Reading the posts to share my enthusiasm with fellow PJ loyalists, and getting bogged down in all the political banter! It was a GREAT showing for our boys - they were absolutely the musical highlight of the night, despite the set being shorter than any of us would like. I brought my two sons, it was their first PJ show, but I tried to make sure I wrapped the narrative around "why" we were there. Yes, some long-winded elements (especially at 8:59-9:15pm :) ), but the booing was ridiculous. Believe me, I may have been dying inside, but honestly, grown men behind me booing was a lesson to my sons in "how NOT to be a man." It's not like they (the speakers and CEO's) showed up at a PJ show and started spewing their greatness - they were at a festival around of which the primary cause was being promoted - and we all knowingly got tickets with this fact in mind.

Anyway - GREAT show - Eddie's voice was so rock solid. I love their passion and loved the Unthought Known story. Fingers crossed for a spring US tour. :) VIP2 was great, but man, what I wouldn't have done to jump that fence into VIP1.
    Post edited by JDjr on
    A lifer.
  • Options
    on2legs said:

my2hands said:

You're missing the point. People didn't boo them because they're CEO's they booed them because they were impatient for Pearl Jam to play. The booing wasn't a political statement, it was immaturity.
    Wrong. I just laid out exactly why I booed. No one is missing any points. You just refuse to wanna hear why people booed.

In short, anyone that booed Malala=impatient, immature asshole.
    Anyone that booed the corporate bozo's that came after her= justified and 100% valid.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Saltzy23 said:

on2legs said:

my2hands said:

Wrong. I just laid out exactly why I booed. No one is missing any points. You just refuse to wanna hear why people booed.

In short, anyone that booed Malala=impatient, immature asshole.
    Anyone that booed the corporate bozo's that came after her= justified and 100% valid.
    The majority of the people around me were booing because they were tired of waiting- and stated as much.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:

The planning was poor and the organizers brought the booing upon themselves. It should have been PLANNED to go from Mrs. Obama to Bono to PJ. I did not mind hearing the speakers, but it was not timed correctly. And you are right, coming to the event cost me $500 for a ticket and $700 for a hotel room, plus I drove in from Atlanta for my first Pearl Jam performance and arrived in line at 10 am. The planners should not have cut 15 minutes out of the PJ time. Beyoncé had ended exactly at 8:30 as scheduled, and we should have started at 9! Simple enough! Poor planning. All of you have valid points.

Overall it was very well worth it, to me, by the way.

NYC 9/26/15
    Mexico City 11/28/15