Post your stereo system!

1235721

Comments

  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 10,047
    brianlux said:

    Sonos? FLAC? You guys are leaving me in the dust.

    Don't worry... Vinyl is indisputably the best fidelity.
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 320
    Can anyone recommend a decent, inexpensive set of studio monitors that I can hook my new turntable up to? Something smallish and ~$200 range?
    Thx!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 10,047
    davidos said:

    Can anyone recommend a decent, inexpensive set of studio monitors that I can hook my new turntable up to? Something smallish and ~$200 range?
    Thx!

    New or used possible?
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 320
    either one i guess... but prefer new
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Cleveland, OHPosts: 2,388
    edited October 2016
    Emotiva Bas-X A-300 amplifier with an Emotiva PT-100 Pre-Amp
    TEAC TN-300 Turntable

    Now I just need to upgrade the speakers... any recommendations for great speakers that would work well with my other pieces?
    PJ, Please come back to Cleveland in 2018

    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta (Music Midtown Festival)
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City (Global Citizen Festival)
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly - Night II / New York City - Night II / Toronto - Night II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway - Night II / Wrigley - Night I / Wrigley - Night II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 10,047
    davidos said:

    either one i guess... but prefer new

    I personally think it's difficult to find decent speakers new, for that price point. However, I've always been a fan of Def Tech, particularly for their monitors. I did a quick search and I think this is a helluva deal, although $40 over your price point. These are refurbished but basically new. This ebay seller (Bajawaverunner) is actually the front for Def Tech's outlet. So you get manufacturer warranty. If you look at what else he has for sale and the volume, it's quite clear. I've bought from him before and he's Def Tech.

    Anyway, these are SM 45's. They are fairly large studios and get really strong reviews. You can find reviews all over the web. I have the previous generation in my kitchen and they are good. As with any monitor, you'd need a sub to really fill out the sound, but for a small room, they are nice. And this price is a deal. New, originally they are probably 400 a pair.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-Technology-Studio-Monitor-45-BLACK-Bookshelf-Speaker-EACH-MCDA/191799956619?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid=2220072&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=37115&meid=ee04656b5bfc4d4d9a0930d2ee058d44&pid=100010&rk=4&rkt=9&sd=291910218896
  • Emotiva Bas-X A-300 amplifier with an Emotiva PT-100 Pre-Amp
    TEAC TN-300 Turntable

    Now I just need to upgrade the speakers... any recommendations for great speakers that would work well with my other pieces?

    Look into Martin Logan,
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 10,047

    Emotiva Bas-X A-300 amplifier with an Emotiva PT-100 Pre-Amp
    TEAC TN-300 Turntable

    Now I just need to upgrade the speakers... any recommendations for great speakers that would work well with my other pieces?

    How do you like your new set up so far?
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Cleveland, OHPosts: 2,388
    mrussel1 said:

    Emotiva Bas-X A-300 amplifier with an Emotiva PT-100 Pre-Amp
    TEAC TN-300 Turntable

    Now I just need to upgrade the speakers... any recommendations for great speakers that would work well with my other pieces?

    How do you like your new set up so far?
    Sounds great, really liking the Pre-amp and Amp I have set up now. I can tell that I would really benefit from some legit speakers.
    PJ, Please come back to Cleveland in 2018

    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta (Music Midtown Festival)
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City (Global Citizen Festival)
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly - Night II / New York City - Night II / Toronto - Night II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway - Night II / Wrigley - Night I / Wrigley - Night II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 10,047

    mrussel1 said:

    Emotiva Bas-X A-300 amplifier with an Emotiva PT-100 Pre-Amp
    TEAC TN-300 Turntable

    Now I just need to upgrade the speakers... any recommendations for great speakers that would work well with my other pieces?

    How do you like your new set up so far?
    Sounds great, really liking the Pre-amp and Amp I have set up now. I can tell that I would really benefit from some legit speakers.
    Check out the ones I linked above. I'm not sure about your price point, but these are very good speakers. I wouldn't call them audiophile per se, but they are very close and highly regarded.
  • Little expertise please!
    I have an opportunity to get a Pioneer 70's setup and they have been serviced and look to be in great condition. On C-list I found someone with all Pioneer turntable PL530 with a new Grado prestige green elite stylus. He also has 2 amps to choose from. I don't need a receiver so I'm looking for the sound quality of the amp and it's features. One is the SX 1050 receiver and the other is the SA 9500 II integrated amp. First question is are these better sound quality than the new gear and then how much should I pay for each. He wants $900 for the TT and either amp, I'm just a noob and could use some expertise. I looked on Ebay and the prices vary so I'm not sure what to ask and look for. Any and all advice would be appreciated greatly.
    Thanks so much for any info!
    Feel free to PM me or respond....
  • ldent42ldent42 NYCPosts: 7,843
    Anyone have advice on computer speakers? I have a 10+ year old set of Altec Lansings (subwoofer + two speakers) which I'm considering replacing.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 10,047

    Little expertise please!
    I have an opportunity to get a Pioneer 70's setup and they have been serviced and look to be in great condition. On C-list I found someone with all Pioneer turntable PL530 with a new Grado prestige green elite stylus. He also has 2 amps to choose from. I don't need a receiver so I'm looking for the sound quality of the amp and it's features. One is the SX 1050 receiver and the other is the SA 9500 II integrated amp. First question is are these better sound quality than the new gear and then how much should I pay for each. He wants $900 for the TT and either amp, I'm just a noob and could use some expertise. I looked on Ebay and the prices vary so I'm not sure what to ask and look for. Any and all advice would be appreciated greatly.
    Thanks so much for any info!
    Feel free to PM me or respond....

    I don't know vintage equipment but in general....

    It would be difficult to tell the difference between two quality solid state amps. They aren't like tubes where they should have unique sounds. Second, a discreet amp should sound a little nicer than an integrated. Just fewer transformers, parts, etc. But if you need an integrated, it should still sound good.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,167
    Ok guys I need some help. Let's say I have about $1200 to spend right now and I need amp/receiver, cd player, and speakers. For speakers, I prefer a warmer tone and I prefer floor standing. Everything else, I don't have a preference. I already have a turntable, and this set up would also need to be able to accommodate my Nakamichi cassette deck. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/questions/pointers.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitarPosts: 8,227
    photo American-Psycho_zpsy2slkqh3.jpg
    Chicago 1&2-18 Cork-EV-17 Chicago 1&2-16 Miami-16 Ft. Lauderdale-16 New York City(Colbert,Sound Check,Show)-15 Moline-14 Detroit-14 Amsterdam 1&2-14 Chicago-13 Noblesville-10 Grand Rapids-06 Grand Rapids-04 Auburn Hills-00 Auburn Hills-98 Toledo-96

    Life is hard, that's why no one survives

  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 10,047
    bflynn1 said:

    Ok guys I need some help. Let's say I have about $1200 to spend right now and I need amp/receiver, cd player, and speakers. For speakers, I prefer a warmer tone and I prefer floor standing. Everything else, I don't have a preference. I already have a turntable, and this set up would also need to be able to accommodate my Nakamichi cassette deck. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/questions/pointers.

    Eek. That's a lot of stuff you need.
    1. Do you mind used speakers or must they be new?
    2. Do you need a stand alone pre-amp or does it need to be built into the receiver/pre amp? Or is it built into your TT already?
    3. Are you looking for a AVR, an integrated amp, or separates
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,167
    edited December 2016
    mrussel1 said:

    bflynn1 said:

    Ok guys I need some help. Let's say I have about $1200 to spend right now and I need amp/receiver, cd player, and speakers. For speakers, I prefer a warmer tone and I prefer floor standing. Everything else, I don't have a preference. I already have a turntable, and this set up would also need to be able to accommodate my Nakamichi cassette deck. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/questions/pointers.

    Eek. That's a lot of stuff you need.
    1. Do you mind used speakers or must they be new?
    2. Do you need a stand alone pre-amp or does it need to be built into the receiver/pre amp? Or is it built into your TT already?
    3. Are you looking for a AVR, an integrated amp, or separates
    Thanks for the response @mrussel1 !

    1. I don't mind the speakers being used as long as they aren't trashed obviously.
    2. It's already built into the TT
    3. Integrated is fine by me.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 10,047
    So kind of one at a time...

    Here's an integrated amp that I'm very fond of.. https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-S501SL-Natural-Integrated-Amplifier/dp/B00MXUCMWO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1480650358&sr=8-8&keywords=yamaha+integrated+amplifier

    It has loads of feature but still maintains a clean sound particularly in pure mode, which should always be used. A and B speakers, pre amp, digital inputs so you could connect a computer direct if you chose, 4 ohm capable, etc. There are three different models depending on your desired power. And I love the silver although the black is nice too.

    Some people like NAD, Rotel, Elite, etc. I like Yamaha. I don't think you can hear a difference between mid level solid state amps. They should sound the same and I think they do. The features on the Yamaha separates it in my opinion.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 10,047
    Now @Weston1283 went the separates path which is more expensive but smart long term. I believe he bought the Emotiva TA 100 and paired with the lovely A300 two channel. What a great pairing! Emo is such a beautiful product with a great warranty and you have tremendous flexibility for the future. A simple amp will last you forever. Check them out out. http://emotiva.com/products/emotiva/amplifiers-0
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,167
    mrussel1 said:

    Now @Weston1283 went the separates path which is more expensive but smart long term. I believe he bought the Emotiva TA 100 and paired with the lovely A300 two channel. What a great pairing! Emo is such a beautiful product with a great warranty and you have tremendous flexibility for the future. A simple amp will last you forever. Check them out out. http://emotiva.com/products/emotiva/amplifiers-0

    After researching these, I think I'm going to go with the Emotiva set up.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 10,047
    bflynn1 said:

    mrussel1 said:

    Now @Weston1283 went the separates path which is more expensive but smart long term. I believe he bought the Emotiva TA 100 and paired with the lovely A300 two channel. What a great pairing! Emo is such a beautiful product with a great warranty and you have tremendous flexibility for the future. A simple amp will last you forever. Check them out out. http://emotiva.com/products/emotiva/amplifiers-0

    After researching these, I think I'm going to go with the Emotiva set up.
    Sounds like a great move I can't help you on a CD player. I ripped all of mine to FLAC and have been streaming to my DAC for probably 10 years now. But once you figure out what you have left for speakers, be happy to opine there. I love talking speakers!
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,167
    For CD player, I think I'm just going with the Onkyo C-7030 that @MedozK has mentioned. I've read up on it, and I like what I've seen. I have about $500 left for speakers right now.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer MarylandPosts: 12,519
    I somehow reset my home theatre receiver to factory settings the other night. Still haven't quite figured everything back out yet. UGH!!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 10,047
    bflynn1 said:

    For CD player, I think I'm just going with the Onkyo C-7030 that @MedozK has mentioned. I've read up on it, and I like what I've seen. I have about $500 left for speakers right now.

    So here's an option. I'm an advocate for Definitive Tech. They are not my audiophile speakers, but I do have 2 sets of mains, 2 sets of bookshelf and some rear channels and I've always been happy with them. But they are a bit unique in that they are bi-polar. That means the sounds emit from the back and the front. So they are sensitive to positioning. They need to be 24 inches or so from a wall and should not be in a corner. They are very good for audio and exceptional for home theater, although that's not your purpose. Def tech's sound is pretty smooth and non-obtrusive through all the frequencies. They are not harsh at although, although the mids could be a little punchier. Using a sub to drive anything lower than probably 120 gives it a lot of oomph at the bottom so you'll have to play with the dial on that. My only minor criticism is that the sound stage is solid, not great. But I am comparing them to my main B&W 683 S2 which I'm quite happy with.

    Anyway, here's the first option. They are the 8020 ST (super towers). I bought them in 2011 or so when they first came out. Very nice speaker. Small footprint, big sound and each has an 8" sub built in. That's a big advantage. Nice piano black top too. They are a gen old which is good, much cheaper and speakers are like wine. I paid $550 each and Amazon has them for $300 each. That's a great deal honestly. If they are not enough for you, they also have the 8040's avail for $349 a piece! They were $1600 a set. So these are great deals for really excellent speakers. If my wife wouldn't institutionalize me for buying more speakers, I'd probably get these myself. But I already have two sets of towers in a closet.

    8040 https://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-BP-8040ST-Bipolar-Subwoofer/dp/B00422L3BM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480704562&sr=8-1&keywords=8040st

    8020 https://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-BP-8020ST-Bipolar-Subwoofer/dp/B00422L3C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480705103&sr=8-1&keywords=8020st

    Considering these are being sold as Amazon Prime, you could listen to them and send em back if you don't like them Plus have them in a few days. Can't go wrong.

    Anyway, first option and they are new.
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ.Posts: 1,969
    Great knowledge on gear mrussel1, always enjoy finding out about different speakers, amps etc. I'm starting to think of upgrades myself for my amp and speakers, I have a Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20 and 2 floorstanders, Monitor Audio Bronze. All British gear so far and I love British audio, but am willing to go American. I'm in New Zealand so we kind of get the best of both worlds when it comes to hi-fi here..

    The equipment I currently have I really am pleased with, so it would have to be amazing upgrades to make me happy. For amps what's your thoughts on Rotel, Yamaha and Anthem? There's also a brand called Moon that looks the business. I'm looking for an intergrated..

    For speakers have been looking at Martin Logans Motion 20s or 40s or possibly going up one step with Monitor Audio to the Silvers. Others that take my fancy are Klipsh, Kef or Tannoy..

    Any thoughts are welcome..
    Auckland NZ 03-24-1995, Auckland NZ 03-25-1995, Sydney AU 03-11-1998, London, UK 05-30-2000, Reading UK 08-27-2006, London UK 06-18-2007, Christchurch NZ 11-29-2009, Auckland NZ 01-17-2014.

    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,754
    Dig my Klipsch towers. also like Martin Logan and Def Tech.

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 10,047
    I think you're in a good place with Monitor to start. If you like that sound, then I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to the silver's. They have an awesome reputation. I've heard them but never owned so take that for it's worth. But I would not personally hesitate to buy Monitor. I am personally not a fan of Klipsch. Some people really like them and I know they are good rock speakers, but to me they are like Boston Acoustics... decent, big, loud, efficient, but not particularly detailed. KEF has a good rep too but I'm not familiar with Tannoy. IMO, I'd stick with the Monitor if you like that British speakers (and I do too). And far as the MLs..I'm not sure on those. I owned a sub by them and was super unimpressed. But aren't the Motions more expensive than comparable Silver's? I don't like black/ash cabinets so I like how Monitor has all those color choices. I like Cherry, walnut, and the like. Those solid wood cabinets are gorgeous.

    All those amps are awesome. Rotel are great with Brits as I'm sure you know. They are made to be paired with B&W. Yamaha, Anthem, Arcam, Parasound etc. are all sort of lumped into that category of "very good since you don't want to buy a McIntosh". But at the end of the day, I stand by what I said earlier. All of these solid state amps should sound essentially the same. For me there are three differences:

    1. Power, all channels driven (important metric). At lower volumes it should not make a difference, but if you have inefficient speakers, then having a good, continuous, clean power source is the difference at high volumes.
    2. Feature set... does it the right inputs and outputs, does it have a sub out, etc.
    3. Does it have a pure mode. This is big for me. I have to have something that shuts down to the most basic transformers and knocks out the noise. I only listen on pure/natural mode. With a straight amp, that's all it is. But when you get into integrated, there's a lot of electronics in there and if it's not in pure mode, I'll get listening fatigue.

    I recently purchased an Outlaw 5000 5 channel amp. What a beast 80lbs or so...maybe the best deal in the industry. But at the lower volumes, it sounds no different than my Yamaha 1030 running in pure. Where it makes a difference is clarity when pushed above, say -15. The Yamaha will run out of juice and the Outlaw which hits 130 wpc, all channels driven, just opens up.

    Sorry for the long ass post.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,754
    mrussel1 said:

    I think you're in a good place with Monitor to start. If you like that sound, then I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to the silver's. They have an awesome reputation. I've heard them but never owned so take that for it's worth. But I would not personally hesitate to buy Monitor. I am personally not a fan of Klipsch. Some people really like them and I know they are good rock speakers, but to me they are like Boston Acoustics... decent, big, loud, efficient, but not particularly detailed. KEF has a good rep too but I'm not familiar with Tannoy. IMO, I'd stick with the Monitor if you like that British speakers (and I do too). And far as the MLs..I'm not sure on those. I owned a sub by them and was super unimpressed. But aren't the Motions more expensive than comparable Silver's? I don't like black/ash cabinets so I like how Monitor has all those color choices. I like Cherry, walnut, and the like. Those solid wood cabinets are gorgeous.

    All those amps are awesome. Rotel are great with Brits as I'm sure you know. They are made to be paired with B&W. Yamaha, Anthem, Arcam, Parasound etc. are all sort of lumped into that category of "very good since you don't want to buy a McIntosh". But at the end of the day, I stand by what I said earlier. All of these solid state amps should sound essentially the same. For me there are three differences:

    1. Power, all channels driven (important metric). At lower volumes it should not make a difference, but if you have inefficient speakers, then having a good, continuous, clean power source is the difference at high volumes.
    2. Feature set... does it the right inputs and outputs, does it have a sub out, etc.
    3. Does it have a pure mode. This is big for me. I have to have something that shuts down to the most basic transformers and knocks out the noise. I only listen on pure/natural mode. With a straight amp, that's all it is. But when you get into integrated, there's a lot of electronics in there and if it's not in pure mode, I'll get listening fatigue.

    I recently purchased an Outlaw 5000 5 channel amp. What a beast 80lbs or so...maybe the best deal in the industry. But at the lower volumes, it sounds no different than my Yamaha 1030 running in pure. Where it makes a difference is clarity when pushed above, say -15. The Yamaha will run out of juice and the Outlaw which hits 130 wpc, all channels driven, just opens up.

    Sorry for the long ass post.

    can't stress this enough. especially with analogue listening thru a tube pre-amp. makes all the difference.

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 10,047
    lolobugg said:

    mrussel1 said:

    I think you're in a good place with Monitor to start. If you like that sound, then I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to the silver's. They have an awesome reputation. I've heard them but never owned so take that for it's worth. But I would not personally hesitate to buy Monitor. I am personally not a fan of Klipsch. Some people really like them and I know they are good rock speakers, but to me they are like Boston Acoustics... decent, big, loud, efficient, but not particularly detailed. KEF has a good rep too but I'm not familiar with Tannoy. IMO, I'd stick with the Monitor if you like that British speakers (and I do too). And far as the MLs..I'm not sure on those. I owned a sub by them and was super unimpressed. But aren't the Motions more expensive than comparable Silver's? I don't like black/ash cabinets so I like how Monitor has all those color choices. I like Cherry, walnut, and the like. Those solid wood cabinets are gorgeous.

    All those amps are awesome. Rotel are great with Brits as I'm sure you know. They are made to be paired with B&W. Yamaha, Anthem, Arcam, Parasound etc. are all sort of lumped into that category of "very good since you don't want to buy a McIntosh". But at the end of the day, I stand by what I said earlier. All of these solid state amps should sound essentially the same. For me there are three differences:

    1. Power, all channels driven (important metric). At lower volumes it should not make a difference, but if you have inefficient speakers, then having a good, continuous, clean power source is the difference at high volumes.
    2. Feature set... does it the right inputs and outputs, does it have a sub out, etc.
    3. Does it have a pure mode. This is big for me. I have to have something that shuts down to the most basic transformers and knocks out the noise. I only listen on pure/natural mode. With a straight amp, that's all it is. But when you get into integrated, there's a lot of electronics in there and if it's not in pure mode, I'll get listening fatigue.

    I recently purchased an Outlaw 5000 5 channel amp. What a beast 80lbs or so...maybe the best deal in the industry. But at the lower volumes, it sounds no different than my Yamaha 1030 running in pure. Where it makes a difference is clarity when pushed above, say -15. The Yamaha will run out of juice and the Outlaw which hits 130 wpc, all channels driven, just opens up.

    Sorry for the long ass post.

    can't stress this enough. especially with analogue listening thru a tube pre-amp. makes all the difference.
    It's amazing that after you listen to pure for a while, and then turn it off, it feels like your ears are bleeding. The music is harsh, too shrill, etc. Pure mode makes you melt into the music. I get the same effect even on digital lossless, not just analog.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,754
    mrussel1 said:

    lolobugg said:

    mrussel1 said:

    I think you're in a good place with Monitor to start. If you like that sound, then I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to the silver's. They have an awesome reputation. I've heard them but never owned so take that for it's worth. But I would not personally hesitate to buy Monitor. I am personally not a fan of Klipsch. Some people really like them and I know they are good rock speakers, but to me they are like Boston Acoustics... decent, big, loud, efficient, but not particularly detailed. KEF has a good rep too but I'm not familiar with Tannoy. IMO, I'd stick with the Monitor if you like that British speakers (and I do too). And far as the MLs..I'm not sure on those. I owned a sub by them and was super unimpressed. But aren't the Motions more expensive than comparable Silver's? I don't like black/ash cabinets so I like how Monitor has all those color choices. I like Cherry, walnut, and the like. Those solid wood cabinets are gorgeous.

    All those amps are awesome. Rotel are great with Brits as I'm sure you know. They are made to be paired with B&W. Yamaha, Anthem, Arcam, Parasound etc. are all sort of lumped into that category of "very good since you don't want to buy a McIntosh". But at the end of the day, I stand by what I said earlier. All of these solid state amps should sound essentially the same. For me there are three differences:

    1. Power, all channels driven (important metric). At lower volumes it should not make a difference, but if you have inefficient speakers, then having a good, continuous, clean power source is the difference at high volumes.
    2. Feature set... does it the right inputs and outputs, does it have a sub out, etc.
    3. Does it have a pure mode. This is big for me. I have to have something that shuts down to the most basic transformers and knocks out the noise. I only listen on pure/natural mode. With a straight amp, that's all it is. But when you get into integrated, there's a lot of electronics in there and if it's not in pure mode, I'll get listening fatigue.

    I recently purchased an Outlaw 5000 5 channel amp. What a beast 80lbs or so...maybe the best deal in the industry. But at the lower volumes, it sounds no different than my Yamaha 1030 running in pure. Where it makes a difference is clarity when pushed above, say -15. The Yamaha will run out of juice and the Outlaw which hits 130 wpc, all channels driven, just opens up.

    Sorry for the long ass post.

    can't stress this enough. especially with analogue listening thru a tube pre-amp. makes all the difference.
    It's amazing that after you listen to pure for a while, and then turn it off, it feels like your ears are bleeding. The music is harsh, too shrill, etc. Pure mode makes you melt into the music. I get the same effect even on digital lossless, not just analog.

    Totally agree. I have a 7 channel amp with all kinds of bells and whistles that at this point is just functioning as a power amp for my turntable/preamp and PONO and I am cool with that. beautiful sound. I can't even do CDs anymore. pulled out my Sony 400 disc changer.

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

Sign In or Register to comment.