Post your stereo system!

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    MedozK said:

Oknyo arrived a few weeks ago. Everything set up and sounding really really awesome - the Onkyo is amazing I have to be honest. I am holding off on a new cartridge for my AT-LP120. Not sure it will be worth the investment when the Marantz really jumped the overall sound up in a major way!

Yea, the Onkyo is a great player for the money.
    Hell, even the tapes sound great through the Marantz. Haha! Seriously though, the CD player shines. I can't get over how clear everything is. It's eye opening to be honest.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

MedozK said:

Oknyo arrived a few weeks ago. Everything set up and sounding really really awesome - the Onkyo is amazing I have to be honest. I am holding off on a new cartridge for my AT-LP120. Not sure it will be worth the investment when the Marantz really jumped the overall sound up in a major way!

Yea, the Onkyo is a great player for the money.
    Hell, even the tapes sound great through the Marantz. Haha! Seriously though, the CD player shines. I can't get over how clear everything is. It's eye opening to be honest.
    For me, it's not really the clarity that shines through when you have a good amp (although it certainly does). It's the lack of 'harshness', particularly during longer listening sessions. The best way I can describe it is that I feel the music in my body, rather than the head. I can easily flip amps while listening from a dedicated 2 channel to an AVR. Flipping to an AVR or lower quality amp, the harshness just permeates my temples... you can tell you would get listening fatigue. A good two channel, coupled with vinyl, is just melts in your body.

That may sound stupid, if you can ever A/B or do the Pepsi challenge, you'll know what I mean.
  • steinbasteinba Posts: 110
    edited May 2016
    mrussel1 said:

Trying to see what you got there. Are those two monoblocks on the top shelves? What are they?

Sorry. Forgot about this thread for a while. They're Abrahamsen V4.0UP power amps, mono bridged as monoblocks, yes. I've listed all the components somewhere early in the thread, I believe.

I rearranged my listening room since the pics, so it doesn't look quite like that anymore, and changed the preamp for a used BAT VK-30. Pretty happy with everything. :)

Post edited by steinba on
    chadwick said:

dudeman, agreed. the original poster's system looks absolutely ruthless. his turn table has me curious. i wanna see that thing spin on a youtube video or something

I never gave the details about that, I see...

The table is a Nottingham Analogue Studio Space 294 with Heavy Duty Kit and Wave Mechanic power supply. The tonearm is a Jelco SA-750LB and the cartridge is a DV-20x2L from Dynavector.

Still stoked and feels good every time I spin it up. (By hand!)

edited May 2016
    Double double post. Not too clever late at night, this guy. ;)
    Post edited by steinba on
    edited May 2016
    Sorry. Double post
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    edited May 2016
    That Yamaha is a stereo receiver that doubles as an amp. Is that what you are looking for? If not, if you don't plan on listening to the radio, I would definitely suggest going with the similar model that is just an integrated amp. It would be the A-S300 or 301. The big difference is the ability to run in 'pure mode' which turns off all of the non-essential circuits. I can tell you from experience that if you run Yamaha in pure mode and then switch to 'regular', it will make your ears bleed in pain, the difference in quality is that stark.

The difference in cost is material, but if you can swing it, the A-S series is a tremendous deal. There's a reason why the receiver 'appears' to be the same but priced so much less. It's in the circuits. The 300 and 301 are essentially the same, but the 300 is a few years older, so priced lower.
    mrussel1 said:

That Yamaha is a stereo receiver that doubles as an amp. Is that what you are looking for? If not, if you don't plan on listening to the radio, I would definitely suggest going with the similar model that is just an integrated amp. It would be the A-S300 or 301. The big difference is the ability to run in 'pure mode' which turns off all of the non-essential circuits. I can tell you from experience that if you run Yamaha in pure mode and then switch to 'regular', it will make your ears bleed in pain, the difference in quality is that stark.

The difference in cost is material, but if you can swing it, the A-S series is a tremendous deal. There's a reason why the receiver 'appears' to be the same but priced so much less. It's in the circuits. The 300 and 301 are essentially the same, but the 300 is a few years older, so priced lower.
    I want something that is exclusively used for my turntable, nothing else plugged in. Are there any keywords I should look for that will tell me if it is a pure amp or not?
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver

mrussel1 said:

I want something that is exclusively used for my turntable, nothing else plugged in. Are there any keywords I should look for that will tell me if it is a pure amp or not?
    Look at the front facing. It has a button that says 'pure mode'. If you move out if integrated amps into just straight amps, those are always 'pure'. But you will be paying some cash. The stereo receiver does not have a 'pure mode' button.. Three other big benefits of the true integrated amp:

1. Built in phono stage. You may have an external already so you can compare the two. I have a Cambridge Azur that I like just a touch better than the Yamaha one, but it's a nice option
    2. Sub out - this is big especially if you are getting bookshelf speakers. Over time, you may decide that your books are not full enough, hitting the lower end of your shiny PJ bootlegs or your 180 gram Yield reissue. This gives you the option to add the sub. The stereo receiver does not (without daisy chaining)
    3. Plug speaker bindings vs the clips on the receiver - better connection, easier to work with, cleaner look, etc. I'm a big fan of the plug bindings.

Even though you want it just for vinyl, the nice thing about the A-S series is that it is very flexible and unless you are throwing some super power hungry 4 ohm towers at it, they'll power just about anything you need. Ten years from now, it will still be one of the better amps you own.

That stereo is a helluva deal for $129, there is no doubt. But there is a world a of difference audibly between the two. If you can swing the extra, you'll hear the difference. If you're on a budget, the receiver is a good deal.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    steinba said:

This might be slightly/completely off topic, but anyway... It's sort of a gearhead topic too, even if it's not about guitars or drumheads. :)
    With all the vinyl collectors and music lovers on the board, there has to be some cool stereo setups around. Let's see 'em! It'll be fun.

I'll start:

Very nice setup :)
    Best amplifier under $500? Something for my turntable and only my tuentable, don't need anything more

Go!
    edited June 2016

Best amplifier under $500? Something for my turntable and only my tuentable, don't need anything more

Go!

Look at the Yamaha 301. For real. Especially if you have bookshelves. It gives you the option to add the sub.

And I assume you mean integrated amplifier, not just a two channel with balanced and/or unbalanced inputs only.

Edit - or the 501 which slightly exceeds your budget.
    edited June 2016
    mrussel1 said:

Go!

Look at the Yamaha 301. For real. Especially if you have bookshelves. It gives you the option to add the sub.

And I assume you mean integrated amplifier, not just a two channel with balanced and/or unbalanced inputs only.

Is it worth going up a model or two to get more power out of it if I plan on getting larger, louder speakers someday?

The S-501 I can get refurbished with a warranty for $399, no tax and free shipping via amazon
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    If you are looking for a true amplifier (not integrated), check out this new one from Emotiva. I think I may be buying it myself. I really love their product. Emotiva and Outlaw have cornered the market on internet direct, high value audio.

http://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/basx-300
    The "source direct" button on my Marantz receiver? Whoa....
    www.cluthelee.com

mrussel1 said:

Go!

Is it worth going up a model or two to get more power out of it if I plan on getting larger, louder speakers someday?

The S-501 I can get refurbished with a warranty for $399, no tax and free shipping via amazon
    That's 150 off retail. That's pretty good. Now if you can get the silver one...
  • Croos1226Croos1226 philly burbs Posts: 335

The "source direct" button on my Marantz receiver? Whoa....

I hear ya, i never move mine from that setting....there's just no need to.
    Try turning it off after listening for an hour. Your ears will feel like they are bleeding.
    mrussel1 said:

Try turning it off after listening for an hour. Your ears will feel like they are bleeding.

Since I'm a newb to this stuff I already did that. It wasn't bad but once I hit that button it changed up nicely.
    www.cluthelee.com

mrussel1 said:

Since I'm a newb to this stuff I already did that. It wasn't bad but once I hit that button it changed up nicely.
    I'm saying that after listening in a pure mode for a while and then switching off of it, it sounds shrill. Like the music is penetrating your brain. Whereas with pure, it feels 'body'. Kind of like a nice indica! Are we saying the same thing?
    Yep
    www.cluthelee.com
    Been a while since anybody posted their stereo system now. ... ;)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    mrussel1 said:

If you are looking for a true amplifier (not integrated), check out this new one from Emotiva. I think I may be buying it myself. I really love their product. Emotiva and Outlaw have cornered the market on internet direct, high value audio.

that looks really nice. if I have an analog pre-amp, do you think it would work with it?
    I realize all volume control would be handled thru the preamp, but just wondered if you thought it would be a good match. thanks.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

mrussel1 said:

that looks really nice. if I have an analog pre-amp, do you think it would work with it?
    I realize all volume control would be handled thru the preamp, but just wondered if you thought it would be a good match. thanks.
    I think this amp would go beautifully with a pre/pro, analog or not. I'm assuming that your out on the pre amp is unbalanced (RCA jacks). This unit doesn't have any switch or volume controls, so it's designed for precisely what you have.
    edited June 2016
    mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

mrussel1 said:

I think this amp would go beautifully with a pre/pro, analog or not. I'm assuming that your out on the pre amp is unbalanced (RCA jacks). This unit doesn't have any switch or volume controls, so it's designed for precisely what you have.
    looks really good. I have been wanting a pure stereo amp for sometime. I bypass the built in pre-amp right now in my receiver and run it on pure analog mode. I have Klipsch reference series towers. this looks like it could push them nicely.

the only problem is I have a 400 disc CD changer that I occasionally use that requires a preamp.
    I wonder if they make something to switch my speakers A/B between my Pioneer Elite Receiver and the Emotiva. any suggestions as I don't want to run 2 sets of speakers.
    Post edited by lolobugg on

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

mrussel1 said:

looks really good. I have been wanting a pure stereo amp for sometime. I bypass the built in pre-amp right now in my receiver and run it on pure analog mode. I have Klipsch reference series towers. this looks like it could push them nicely.

the only problem is I have a 400 disc CD changer that I occasionally use that requires a preamp.
    I wonder if they make something to switch my speakers A/B between my Pioneer Elite Receiver and the Emotiva. any suggestions as I don't want to run 2 sets of speakers.
    I'm not sure I understand. If you have a Pioneer Elite, that would act as your pre-out. Your Elite (depending on the model, but I think most of them) will have a 'line out' for each channel. So in this case, two channels. You let your elite function as the pre/pro and use that to switch the source. So whether your using your TT or your cd changer, you should be good. If you send me the models of your components, I could tell you for sure.
    mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

mrussel1 said:

I'm not sure I understand. If you have a Pioneer Elite, that would act as your pre-out. Your Elite (depending on the model, but I think most of them) will have a 'line out' for each channel. So in this case, two channels. You let your elite function as the pre/pro and use that to switch the source. So whether your using your TT or your cd changer, you should be good. If you send me the models of your components, I could tell you for sure.
    ok , I got you. just use the Elite as a pre-amp and bypass the amp. that would be an expensive preamp... :lol:
    use the Emotiva as the workhorse. I just wonder if it would affect the signal path in anyway.
    I would love to go right from my tube pre-amp into the Emotiva if possible. but it would in fact make it difficult to use any of my digital equipment.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

mrussel1 said:

ok , I got you. just use the Elite as a pre-amp and bypass the amp. that would be an expensive preamp... :lol:
    use the Emotiva as the workhorse. I just wonder if it would affect the signal path in anyway.
    I would love to go right from my tube pre-amp into the Emotiva if possible. but it would in fact make it difficult to use any of my digital equipment.

Oh, I see. You want two sources to feed this. Yeah, that's a tough one without using a multi-channel type switcher that will degrade the audio source. I will think on that.
    Whatever preamp you use with your poweramp, you could always hook up a D/A converter to one of it's inputs for all your digital pleasures.