Options

Meanwhile back in Israel

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,801
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

Fierce protests have been rocking Israel for months. What's fueling them?
    By JULIA FRANKEL
    Today

JERUSALEM (AP) — Oceans of Israeli flags, steady drumbeats, cries of “Democracy!” Water cannons, police on horseback, protesters dragged off the ground.

For seven straight months, tens of thousands of Israelis have taken to the streets in the most sustained and intense demonstrations the country has ever seen.

The protesters are part of a grassroots movement that rose out of opposition to a contentious judicial overhaul spearheaded by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his far-right allies.

The overhaul calls for sweeping changes aimed at curbing the powers of the judiciary, from limiting the Supreme Court's ability to challenge parliamentary decisions, to changing the way judges are selected.

While the government says the overhaul is needed to reduce the powers of unelected judges, protesters, who make up a wide cross section of Israeli society, say the overhaul will push Israel toward autocracy.

With a key portion of the overhaul nearing a final vote early next week, protesters are vowing further “days of disruption" and calling for strikes and general unrest.

Here's a look at why they are still protesting, months into the government's efforts:

WHAT'S IN THE OVERHAUL?

Netanyahu's ultranationalist and ultra-Orthodox religious allies say the package is meant to restore power to elected officials. Critics say it is a power grab fueled by various personal and political grievances by Netanyahu, who is on trial for corruption charges, and his partners, who want to deepen Israel's control of the occupied West Bank and perpetuate controversial draft exemptions for ultra-Orthodox men.

The proposals include a bill that would allow a simple majority in parliament to overturn Supreme Court decisions. Another would give parliament the final say in selecting judges.

On Monday, parliament is expected to vote on a key bill that would prevent the Supreme Court from striking down government decisions on the basis that they are “unreasonable.”

Proponents say the current “reasonability” standard gives judges excessive powers over decision making by elected officials. But critics say that removing the standard, which is invoked only in rare cases, would allow the government to pass arbitrary decisions, make improper appointments or firings and open the door to corruption.

Protesters say Netanyahu and his allies want to change the law so they can appoint cronies to government posts — and particularly so that they can fire the country’s independent attorney general, according to Amir Fuchs, a senior researcher at the Israel Democracy Institute, a Jerusalem think tank. Supporters see Attorney General Gali Baharav-Miara as a bulwark against the overhaul.

The measures “make it more difficult to conduct oversight” over arbitrary decisions of elected officials, said Yohanan Plesner, the institute's president. “This is one chapter of a broader plan and program of the government to weaken the checks and balances.”

In a speech Thursday, Netanyahu dismissed accusations that the plan would destroy Israel's democratic foundations as absurd. “This is an attempt to mislead you over something that has no basis in reality,” he said.

WHY ARE THERE STILL PROTESTS?

Netanyahu’s government took office in December and almost immediately unveiled its plans to weaken Israel’s Supreme Court.

Protests sprang up in major cities, business leaders balked at the plan and, perhaps most critically, military reservists in Israel's air force and other key units threatened to stop reporting for duty if it passed.

The protests prompted Netanyahu to pause the overhaul in March and enter talks with opposition lawmakers. After talks broke down last month, Netanyahu announced in June the overhaul would move forward.

Protesters accuse Netanyahu of changing tactics, but not his broader goals, by moving forward in a slower and more measured way in a bid to lull the protesters and dull their opposition.

“The government got smarter,” said Josh Drill, a spokesman for the protest movement. “They saw the fallout of trying to ram the overhaul through, and they decided instead to do it piece by piece.”

Protests have intensified as the coalition's efforts to make the overhaul into law have moved forward.

On Tuesday, protesters crippled the city’s main highway and blocked train stations, and thousands of people marched nearly 50 miles (80 kilometers) from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem over the weekend ahead of Monday's vote.

WHY ARE PROTESTERS SO DETERMINED TO PROTECT THE JUDICIARY?

With a relatively weak system of checks and balances, the judiciary plays a large role in checking executive power in Israel.

In the U.S. for example, Congress has two houses that operate independently of the president and can limit his power. But in Israel, the prime minister and his majority coalition in parliament work in tandem.

That leaves the judiciary as “the only check on governmental power," according to constitutional law professor Amichai Cohen.

Israel also has minimal local governance and lacks a formal constitution. This means that most of the power is centralized in parliament, Cohen said. The “basic laws” — foundational laws that experts describe as a sort of informal constitution — can be changed at any time by a bare majority.

With the overhaul, Cohen said, the Israeli parliament now threatens to further consolidate its power by weakening the judiciary.

"The government can do whatever it wants, because it controls the ability to change even the basic laws,” Cohen said.

Historically, the Israeli judiciary has played a role in protecting the rights of minorities, from Palestinian citizens of Israel to noncitizens and African asylum seekers, Cohen said.

By weakening the judiciary, critics say, Israel’s government — led by a male-dominated coalition whose members have advocated full annexation of the occupied West Bank, discriminating against LGBTQ+ people and Palestinian citizens of Israel, and limiting the rights of women — will be granted near-total control.

“It will be a hollow democracy,” said Fuchs.

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

Over the weekend, Israeli media reported that the country's defense minister, Yoav Gallant, alarmed by the growing refusals to serve in the military, was pushing for a delay in Monday's vote. It was unclear if others would join him.

If the “reasonability” bill is passed, it will mark the first major part of the legislation to become law.

Fuchs predicted the law would be appealed to the Supreme Court. If the court strikes it down, Netanyahu’s coalition will have to decide whether to accept the ruling. That could set the stage for a “constitutional crisis.”

In the meantime, the protests that have rocked the country for seven months will likely grow in intensity.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,162
    maybe if they hadn't allowed bibi to take power again things would be different?

dude should have had the end of his political career years ago.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    Another war.  This one could really send us into a major shit storm, right?  That's the feeling I get anyway, and it's not a good feeling.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

for being exposed  there with a heavy OCCUPIED TERRITORIES  concentration. seems the argument is he opened that door.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mickeyrat said:
    So Israel occupies more territories and gets a counter strike and that is terrorism, or am I missing something?  Or is he saying that Israeli treatment of Palestinians is terrorism?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,162
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    So Israel occupies more territories and gets a counter strike and that is terrorism, or am I missing something?  Or is he saying that Israeli treatment of Palestinians is terrorism?
    israeli treatment of palestinians is terrorism.

the irony here, well not really, is that keeping palestinians in an open air prison in apartheid conditions and expanding illegal settlements on palestinian land is not good for peace.

it is like going to your bully that has done everything to keep you down and ridicule you for years and saying "thank you sir, may i have another" and just being ok with being bullied.

i hate what hamas is doing here. but at the same time, i can't say i blame them. this is their only recourse if they want anything to change.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

(I’m guessing you agree with this, because) under that logic the United States is an occupied territory.

the difference being of course the native Americans tried to live in peace with their European conquerors, whereas Israel seized land as a result of constant invasions from every direction.

this Is probably Hamas trying to destroy the Israel Saudi peace deal.
  • Options
    …come to think of it, almost the entire planet is an occupied territory 
  • Options
    …come to think of it, almost the entire planet is an occupied territory 

Haha!  Yes!  The whales and dolphins would be much better adapted as the alpha species.  Of course right now they are probably singing that Replacements song that goes, "We'll inherit the earth/ but we don't want it!"
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Lerxst I think the treatment of the Palestinians by the Israelis is terrorism and has been going on for far too long.  I am not surprised that some people are getting fed up enough to mount more successful insurgencies.  Is it great that this will lead to more and further bloodshed? No.  

As far as comparing this to Natives or saying that all land is occupied, that is hogwash.  We know better at this point, arguably we did back then as well.  However, just because the US did it in the past doesn't make it right for Israel to do now.

Hey we are gonna force you out of your land, and when you inevitably fight back we are going to take more of your land with our superior fire power in the name of security, and when you fight back again we will call you terrorists etc... What a fucked up carousel.  

Israel seized land because of constant invasion from every direction after the Nakba in 1948.

Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    israeli treatment of palestinians is terrorism.

the irony here, well not really, is that keeping palestinians in an open air prison in apartheid conditions and expanding illegal settlements on palestinian land is not good for peace.

it is like going to your bully that has done everything to keep you down and ridicule you for years and saying "thank you sir, may i have another" and just being ok with being bullied.

i hate what hamas is doing here. but at the same time, i can't say i blame them. this is their only recourse if they want anything to change.

That’s absurd. The “occupied territories” are a result of land seized in wars where Israel was attacked from every direction, no different than you now living in the US, except the native Americans did not blindside the Europeans.

Are you going to immediately move to Iran and live with your people since you live in an occupied territory by your logic? Palestine has never ever been interested in peace.

“from the river to the sea Palestine will be free”

this is obviously Iran blowing up the Saudi Israel pace talks. Any attempts to explain this otherwise is an exercise in absurdity. This is funded by Iran, not hamas
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Lerxst I think the treatment of the Palestinians by the Israelis is terrorism and has been going on for far too long.  I am not surprised that some people are getting fed up enough to mount more successful insurgencies.  Is it great that this will lead to more and further bloodshed? No.  

As far as comparing this to Natives or saying that all land is occupied, that is hogwash.  We know better at this point, arguably we did back then as well.  However, just because the US did it in the past doesn't make it right for Israel to do now.

Hey we are gonna force you out of your land, and when you inevitably fight back we are going to take more of your land with our superior fire power in the name of security, and when you fight back again we will call you terrorists etc... What a fucked up carousel.  

Israel seized land because of constant invasion from every direction after the Nakba in 1948.

Really 1948? wow. I guess the land was never Israeli before 1948? Or Mick will come in soon and explain what happened four thousand years ago never really happened. Thats three thousand and eight hundred years before the US seized its land. But according to that comment, the US gets a free pass, Australia gets a free pass, Canada gets a free pass , everyone gets a free pass, except Israel. Wonder why. Wonder what makes Israel so different.

We’ve argued this before, except now, Iran has started a war. They are not interested in peace, and if the Dems start talking like this, it probably will get trump elected.

palestine has always been supportive of ethnic cleansing of israelis and never been interested in peace. Today is obviously Iran destroying the Saudi peace talks. Any attempt to deny that is a joke.

• Options
    I don't see how this dispute can ever end.  The land in question has been battle over and changed hand a number of time.  Who's to say who rightfully owns it?  How will a settlement ever be reached?  I'm guessing it will end in the proverbial "last man" standing or just go on as on again and off again war until the end of civilization.  Does anyone really see and end to this?

• Options
    edited October 2023
    static111 said:

Really 1948? wow. I guess the land was never Israeli before 1948? Or Mick will come in soon and explain what happened four thousand years ago never really happened. Thats three thousand and eight hundred years before the US seized its land. But according to that comment, the US gets a free pass, Australia gets a free pass, Canada gets a free pass , everyone gets a free pass, except Israel. Wonder why. Wonder what makes Israel so different.

We’ve argued this before, except now, Iran has started a war. They are not interested in peace, and if the Dems start talking like this, it probably will get trump elected.

palestine has always been supportive of ethnic cleansing of israelis and never been interested in peace. Today is obviously Iran destroying the Saudi peace talks. Any attempt to deny that is a joke.

I'll do what now?
    oh and its mickeyrat.

Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    interrsting wiki article

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options