bad day at work

Comments

• SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    RKCNDY said:

cdysinge said:

imalive said:

hedonist said:

UGH.

(and ironically, I'm currently having some birthday cake for a couple of people I work with)

RKCNDY, do you work at some sort of shelter or vet's office?

I sure hope so.
    maybe she works at some sort of satanic ritual place?
    Or an understaffed, weird taxedermist?
    Maybe the worst restaurant on the planet?

This was a vet clinic...I feel bad for the people that weren't there in the morning to know what happened to the cake...because they all had a slice :sick:
    Eeewwww. Another reason I don't eat cake.

ELITIST FUK
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515

Malroth said:

I screwed up at work and blew up a new $300 part. ( yeah, not a rocket scientist)
    I was just wondering if anybody has a bad day at work story to make me feel better?

Nope, you may have just made the worst mistake ever. If you don't count me crushing my hand and losing two fingers.
    two fingers are worth more than 300 bucks.
    Were you still able to do your job after that?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Malroth said:

Malroth said:

I screwed up at work and blew up a new $300 part. ( yeah, not a rocket scientist)
    I was just wondering if anybody has a bad day at work story to make me feel better?

Nope, you may have just made the worst mistake ever. If you don't count me crushing my hand and losing two fingers.
    Yes. I was out of work (collecting workers comp) for about 7 months while I had several surgeries and physical therapy 3 times a week. My work was very good to me. I didn't pay a dime of the approximately $300,000 worth of medical bills. And my settlement was worth a lot more than $300. I would give every penny back if I could have the full use of my hand back.

I lost one digit on my left index finger. Lost 2 digits on my middle finger. It is almost useless. My have the full ring finger and pinky, but they won't straighten all the way and I am severely limited on how much I can bend them.

All in all, it could have been much worse. I can do almost everything I could before. Like golfing, baseball, work. The worse part was not being able to play guitar anymore. I played since I was 13. I just can't play with no middle finger. I am ambidextrous so I thought I could play left handed. I can't. I'd have to play like I did when I was in high school. 3 hours a day, every day, and I just don't have that kind of time. I can fiddle a little bit. Power chords and such. But I can't do anything with regular chords.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

This reminded me of something I had forgotten about for years; blocked out, really.

When I was 16 I worked at a veterinary clinic because I thought I wanted to be a vet. When animals died or were euthanized they were bagged in black plastic bags and thrown in a trailer in the back parking lot. Once a week on the weekend the newest, greenest employees needed to hitch the trailer to the clinic truck and take it to the town dump, where we had to climb into the trailer and unload it by picking the bags up and throwing them out. Leaving dead animals in black plastic in the sun during the summer for a week does not make for the most appetizing scene. Sometimes the bags would swell and split, and flies would get in, lay eggs, and ..... well, you get the picture. Yes, the smell is horrendous and stays with you all day, even after you've gone home and scrubbed your whole self in the shower. And don't even get me started on what we had to do when the bags had ripped and spilled in the trailer.

This was many years ago and I think they now need to incinerate (cremate?) the bodies; definitely a welcome improvement.

Yes, we held onto the animals in a huge freezer. Now, they are incinerated because the euthanasia solution is toxic to wildlife-don't need crows eating the dead animals and dying. What pissed me off was that nobody used their brain and tried to call the inceneration company to see if they could make an extra pick-up on the weekend.

The bags we used were not the standard lawn bag style plastic bags...they are called cadaver bags, and are thicker than most tarps, because bag failure accidents are not fun.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

Malroth said:

Malroth said:

Yes. I was out of work (collecting workers comp) for about 7 months while I had several surgeries and physical therapy 3 times a week. My work was very good to me. I didn't pay a dime of the approximately $300,000 worth of medical bills. And my settlement was worth a lot more than $300. I would give every penny back if I could have the full use of my hand back.

I lost one digit on my left index finger. Lost 2 digits on my middle finger. It is almost useless. My have the full ring finger and pinky, but they won't straighten all the way and I am severely limited on how much I can bend them.

All in all, it could have been much worse. I can do almost everything I could before. Like golfing, baseball, work. The worse part was not being able to play guitar anymore. I played since I was 13. I just can't play with no middle finger. I am ambidextrous so I thought I could play left handed. I can't. I'd have to play like I did when I was in high school. 3 hours a day, every day, and I just don't have that kind of time. I can fiddle a little bit. Power chords and such. But I can't do anything with regular chords.
    I'm sorry. I'm glad that they were great about it and that all bills were paid and you were given a settlement, but a settlement won't purchase back the dexterity or missing parts. Was the damage all to just the left hand then? Bummer about the guitar playing.

2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

RKCNDY said:

SD48277 said:

^^^ I'm gagging from the smell, and I wasn't even there.

it's a smell, that burns your nosehairs off...and you never ever forget that smell. Especially when a bag about ready to burst, actually bursts in your face.

That day was bad, but it will always be better than any day I had to work at Macy's...
    OMG! You were elf at Macy's???? Most Degenerate of you! What some people degenerates will do to earn a buck. Jeesh.
    I was the Dairy Queen clown for birthday parties for about 6 months. I think my final party was when they hired me for a 12 year old birthday party and purchased the teeniest cake for 22 people. (The littlest round one.) I was to cut a slice for each. Somehow I got 24 slivers cut out of that cake. I do believe that you could have read the newspaper from across the room through them, they were so thin.

Oh, and they didn't give me a tip.

And I was allergic to the make-up, but the owner wouldn't purchase new make-up for me. I quit and took a job at the grocery across the plaza.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    deadendp said:

Malroth said:

Malroth said:

I'm sorry. I'm glad that they were great about it and that all bills were paid and you were given a settlement, but a settlement won't purchase back the dexterity or missing parts. Was the damage all to just the left hand then? Bummer about the guitar playing.

Yes, left hand only. Luckily, my fingertips were what was crushed. A second sooner, it would have been my entire hand and I would have been left with a thumb. I posted pictures in this thread a while back when imalive sliced up his thumb. Scroll down to see my hand. The pictures are rather graphic.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/236601/motherf-ker/p1

RKCNDY said:

SD48277 said:

^^^ I'm gagging from the smell, and I wasn't even there.

it's a smell, that burns your nosehairs off...and you never ever forget that smell. Especially when a bag about ready to burst, actually bursts in your face.

That day was bad, but it will always be better than any day I had to work at Macy's...
    OMG! You were elf at Macy's???? Most Degenerate of you! What some people degenerates will do to earn a buck. Jeesh.
    Yes, I despise that stupid hat with attached ears.
    SD48277 said:

I don't think that happens to *every* cake...just from that particular lady. I've seen her drop cookies on the floor, and put them back on the platter. She'd always bring in homemade baked goods, like every other day.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

Malroth said:

Malroth said:

Quit bragging Scott.Sheesh
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

I've always wondered what they do with the male parts after fixing a dog. Is there a bucket of balls just sitting around somewhere that has to be emptied every few days?

I just envisioned them being tossed, like into those little indoor basketball things.

Damn you!

And Last-12, I had no idea. Holy shit.

How did you crush your hand?

If you don't mind sharing...
    :popcorn:

- Christopher McCandless
    It's hard to explain if you've never worked in a coal fired power plant, but I'll try.

Coal gets put into the silos on a series of conveyor belts. There are tripper cars that travel on rails that move from silo to silo. I was repairing a switch on one of the cars. When I was finished, the belt started and I began to work on a limit switch farther down. The tripper car started to move on its own. My back was to it and I did not know it was moving. My hand was on the rail, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the car and tried to move my hand. The wheel caught my pinky and all I could do was watch it roll over all 4 fingers.

Bottom line was I shouldn't have had my hand on the rail. Saying that, the tripper car shouldn't have moved and should have had an audible alarm on it when it does move. Which it did not. Ultimately, I believe that is why I was not fired. There were several work order to fix those problems the week prior to my accident that did not get addressed. We had a mutual understanding that as long as I kept my job, I would not retain a lawyer.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,902
    SD48277 said:

RKCNDY said:

cdysinge said:

imalive said:

hedonist said:

UGH.

(and ironically, I'm currently having some birthday cake for a couple of people I work with)

I sure hope so.

This was a vet clinic...I feel bad for the people that weren't there in the morning to know what happened to the cake...because they all had a slice :sick:

I had a buddy at work who always used to crack himself up with, "well, we had cake or c*ck but we're fresh out of cake!"

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    imalive said:

SD48277 said:

RKCNDY said:

cdysinge said:

imalive said:

hedonist said:

UGH.

I sure hope so.

I had a buddy at work who always used to crack himself up with, "well, we had cake or c*ck but we're fresh out of cake!"

A complete steal from Eddie Izzard.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited April 2015

It's hard to explain if you've never worked in a coal fired power plant, but I'll try.

Coal gets put into the silos on a series of conveyor belts. There are tripper cars that travel on rails that move from silo to silo. I was repairing a switch on one of the cars. When I was finished, the belt started and I began to work on a limit switch farther down. The tripper car started to move on its own. My back was to it and I did not know it was moving. My hand was on the rail, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the car and tried to move my hand. The wheel caught my pinky and all I could do was watch it roll over all 4 fingers.

Bottom line was I shouldn't have had my hand on the rail. Saying that, the tripper car shouldn't have moved and should have had an audible alarm on it when it does move. Which it did not. Ultimately, I believe that is why I was not fired. There were several work order to fix those problems the week prior to my accident that did not get addressed. We had a mutual understanding that as long as I kept my job, I would not retain a lawyer.

Ouch...when I saw your avatar I was wondering.

My late father-in-law lost his entire hand in a mining accident. Elevator shaft cable broke (think it was the one that took the ore out of the mine), the cable whipped around and grabbed his hand.
    Or something like that, he didn't like talking about it. I know he still worked in the mine after for quite a while.

Thanks for sharing.
    Post edited by RKCNDY on

- Christopher McCandless
  • Other than having been crushed by a horse, ( like three times, as we rolled down a hill), the worst injury to my hands, was bridling a stubborn horse, and he bit my
    Right ring finger, the bit still sitting across my fingers. In just a splIt second, I heard bone crunch, then snap. To this day I have a huge knot where once there was a normal knuckle.

As for the crushing incident, that and falling off a freeway overpass in a tiny Colt hatchback car, have been the worst accidents I have survived. Incidentally falling off a freeway over pass, in a virtually microscopic vehicle is less destructive than falling down a long ass hill, under neath a 900 Lb horse!
    Whispering is there a bone in your body you haven't broke.? You are the Evil Knevil of these boards.
    I think it's time you posted some pictures in the Motherfucker thread.Come on girl,get with the program.lol
    hedonist said:

I've always wondered what they do with the male parts after fixing a dog. Is there a bucket of balls just sitting around somewhere that has to be emptied every few days?

I just envisioned them being tossed, like into those little indoor basketball things.

Damn you!

Why do you think it takes Scott so long to type his responses?
    rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

Damn you!

Because there are times when fuckin life gets in the way of my real job. Which of course is trolling these message boards checking my fantasy teams!
    edited April 2015

rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

Damn you!

Because there are times when fuckin life gets in the way of my real job. Which of course is trolling these message boards checking my fantasy teams!
    Are you not doing any NFL draft prep? That sets the stage for this summers fantasy drafts.

I hate when people who save lives for a living try to put their jobs before random unimportant Internet nonsense.What are you thinking?
    Post edited by rr165892 on
    rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

Damn you!

Are you not doing any NFL draft prep? That sets the stage for this summers fantasy drafts.

I hate when people who save lives for a living try to put their jobs before random unimportant Internet nonsense.What are you thinking?
    The only fantasy draft prep I do is buying a random fantasy rank magazine 2 hours before the start of my first live draft.

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

Damn you!

The only fantasy draft prep I do is buying a random fantasy rank magazine 2 hours before the start of my first live draft.
    That works
    The scar on my right hip.. This is where they put my Pelvic bone back together, after it was crushed by the horse. This took six separate surgeries, and they kept me in a medical coma for eighteen days to accomplish this.
    Top view of my right foot, there are two scars, one runs length wise to the bridge of my foot, the other only runs to the third toe. There's pins penalized in there, because the catriledge was destroyed between this accident, and my mother running over me with a CAR!! ( yeah I lost that argument!!)
    Side view, same foot, you can see the lateral pin jutting out. And yes my poor foot looks floppy and distorted, that's because the tendons in my
    Big toe were irreparable. So I basically have a 'dead' if toe. I used to be able to at LEAST feel it. But now with the Nueropathy, it really is kinda dead feeling. I trip on this foot often because I can't feel my toe drop, and it snags as I try to pick up my foot.. So I sort of shuffle now.
    This is the scar from where hitting the end is the stirrup strap, (my right foot wedged in it still), almost tore my leg off!
    And here is the lunch knuckle. If you look closely, you can see the scarring across the pointing finger, middle finger, and the ring finger. That's from that fucker's TEETH! And the scar on my pointing finger, was from his Wolf Teeth!! No wonder people pay to have those things pulled!! ( I always thought it was ridiculous to pull a male horse's Wolf Teeth, until I got bit with one!! Now I understand.. Still un necessary procedure, unless you plan on having your hands in your horse's mouth often!)
    So there they are... My war wounds.
    Moral of that story: stay away from horses!
  • Moral of that story: stay away from horses!

No
    Moral of the story is, don't over estimate your abilities on a horse!! Lol
    Quality stuff Whispering.

No, we toss testicles, uteruses, and other body parts into the regular garbage-unless tumors were scheduled to be sent out for a biopsy of course. I always wondered about homeless people going through the dumpsters looking for food because we were in a strip mall with a sandwich shop and teriyaki place.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY said:

No, we toss testicles, uteruses, and other body parts into the regular garbage-unless tumors were scheduled to be sent out for a biopsy of course. I always wondered about homeless people going through the dumpsters looking for food because we were in a strip mall with a sandwich shop and teriyaki place.
    I am not sure which is more troubling...your answer or me sitting around wondering what they do with the dog's balls.
  • RKCNDY said:

I am not sure which is more troubling...your answer or me sitting around wondering what they do with the dog's balls.
    Believe it or not, that's a fairly common question.