How the hell do you make an omelette?

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    We had these when I was growing up, and we'd always draw faces and whatnot on our eggs before eating them. :)

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    PJ_Soul said:

We had these when I was growing up, and we'd always draw faces and whatnot on our eggs before eating them. :)

That's adorable that you used to decorate your egg before eating it.
    ELITIST FUK
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    I just can't wrap my head around this Grub Hub business. I know, I know - I live in the frozen North but this seems like some bizarre sort of magic to get anything you want home delivered. Is this widely available in the US or just in major cities?

And I'm currently enjoying "eggs in a nest" - butter a slice of bread on both sides, cut a circular hole in the middle, put the bread and the circle in the frying pan and crack an egg in the hole, then fry on both sides until TOTALLY SOLID - none of this disgusting runny egg business. (And the little bread circle is the best part.)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

I just can't wrap my head around this Grub Hub business. I know, I know - I live in the frozen North but this seems like some bizarre sort of magic to get anything you want home delivered. Is this widely available in the US or just in major cities?

And I'm currently enjoying "eggs in a nest" - butter a slice of bread on both sides, cut a circular hole in the middle, put the bread and the circle in the frying pan and crack an egg in the hole, then fry on both sides until TOTALLY SOLID - none of this disgusting runny egg business. (And the little bread circle is the best part.)

GrubHub is like :bow: when we're home, buzzed and hungry! It's a wonderful service - convenient, inexpensive.

I've never made eggs in a nest but have heard of (and drooled over) them.

Bon appetit!
  • I'm so jealous as my restaurant list has 3 places on grub hub. A mexican place, a sub shop (we have jimmy johns who already delivers) and a burger joints. No omelets for me delivered.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • I still can't flip well. I tried making a spinach, tomato and onion omelette and it was pretty messy.

I think I need a better spatula for one. Going out to buy one today.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280

I still can't flip well. I tried making a spinach, tomato and onion omelette and it was pretty messy.

It's all in the wrist! Let it slide towards the fron of the pan and slightly up the edge, then flip!
    Pan has to be well buttered or oiled...non stick pans work best.
    And if it's not cooked enough, even with the perfect flip, you splatter it all over....like I did this morning. Got egg splatters all over me! Ugh! Hahaha. I really shouldn't cook that early after a long night of drinking!

mca47 said:

I still can't flip well. I tried making a spinach, tomato and onion omelette and it was pretty messy.

It's all in the wrist! Let it slide towards the fron of the pan and slightly up the edge, then flip!
    Pan has to be well buttered or oiled...non stick pans work best.
    And if it's not cooked enough, even with the perfect flip, you splatter it all over....like I did this morning. Got egg splatters all over me! Ugh! Hahaha. I really shouldn't cook that early after a long night of drinking!

That's what she said! (and damn my adolescent self)

Also note the water content of the added ingredients - makes a difference in consistency and flipping ability.

• Okay well maybe I'm not oiling/buttering the pan enough(it is non-stick) because my omelettes do not slide at all. Hmmmm....And the spinach might've been too watery because I used frozen spinach and cooked it beforehand, but didn't press the water out of it before I added it to the eggs.

I'm such an amateur. And I need to go out and buy more eggs today - I'm all out. Gonna make omelettes all week until I get this bad boy right!
    It's all part of learning - trial, error and eventual success! Wringing the water out of spinach with a couple of paper towels helps.

You'll get there - just enjoy this fun and (at times) tasty journey :)
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    edited April 2015

Okay well maybe I'm not oiling/buttering the pan enough(it is non-stick) because my omelettes do not slide at all. Hmmmm....And the spinach might've been too watery because I used frozen spinach and cooked it beforehand, but didn't press the water out of it before I added it to the eggs.

I'm such an amateur. And I need to go out and buy more eggs today - I'm all out. Gonna make omelettes all week until I get this bad boy right!

Maybe you need some chickens. They are happy to eat most mistakes you might make. :wink: And with each one laying 5 or so eggs a week, buying more is not generally an issue.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes

Okay well maybe I'm not oiling/buttering the pan enough(it is non-stick) because my omelettes do not slide at all. Hmmmm....And the spinach might've been too watery because I used frozen spinach and cooked it beforehand, but didn't press the water out of it before I added it to the eggs.

Maybe you need some chickens. They are happy to eat most mistakes you might make. :wink: And with each one laying 5 or so eggs a week, buying more is not generally an issue.
    Chickens eat cooked eggs? Somehow that just seems wrong. :chicken:
    ELITIST FUK
    RKCNDY said:

SD48277 said:

She is awfully cute, once you get past the pterodactyl qualities. But she is too busy for cuddling, she likes to eat. And I let her do that because she lays me a jumbo size egg, nearly every day. ;)

Sunny is yours? Cool.
    Yep. She and her three sisters. We eat lots of eggs.
    I would love chickens...That's awesome you get fresh eggs.
    They are pretty awesome, and they add the fun factor into omelet making. They are Americaunas (Easter eggers). One hen lays a big light brown egg, one has a peachy white, and two of them are blue-green egg layers. The insides all look the same however.
    SD48277 said:

Chickens eat cooked eggs? Somehow that just seems wrong. :chicken:
    They are the ultimate omnivore. They will eat just about anything.
    And I love that :chicken:
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I would love fresh eggs from chickens. But I'd rather buy them from someone else than have chickens to take care of, those fuckers make to much noise
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,764
    See. I told you you had to break a few (dozen) eggs.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    cdysinge said:

I'm so jealous as my restaurant list has 3 places on grub hub. A mexican place, a sub shop (we have jimmy johns who already delivers) and a burger joints. No omelets for me delivered.

The two benefits are the app stores your credit card infoso you don't have to deal with cash, and you don't have to communicate over the phone to place the order. This is important to me cuz 99% of my orders are breakfast - I can't function until I've had coffee. Certainly not well enough to accurately order food via conversation, and most DEFINITELY not well enough to handle money..

There's a lot of downsides though. Often the delivery minimum is arbitrary - if you'd call the restaurant they would deliver for less, so if you use grubhub you spend more/order more than you might have otherwise. The prices are sometimes higher to account for what ever they have to pay them. The menu isn't always complete/accurate. And they don't always read the special instructions so sometimes you wind up with a torta with jalapenos on it despite specifically requesting NO jalapenos.

I need to go get coffee

NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

RKCNDY said:

SD48277 said:

She is awfully cute, once you get past the pterodactyl qualities. But she is too busy for cuddling, she likes to eat. And I let her do that because she lays me a jumbo size egg, nearly every day. ;)

Sunny is yours? Cool.
    They are pretty awesome, and they add the fun factor into omelet making. They are Americaunas (Easter eggers). One hen lays a big light brown egg, one has a peachy white, and two of them are blue-green egg layers. The insides all look the same however.
    I'be always wanted the chickens that lay the blue/green eggs...and the ones with the feathery feet...and the ones that look like big puff balls.

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    edited April 2015
    RKCNDY said:

RKCNDY said:

SD48277 said:

Sunny is yours? Cool.
    I'be always wanted the chickens that lay the blue/green eggs...and the ones with the feathery feet...and the ones that look like big puff balls.

What a cute little silkie! One of our first chicks turned out to be a bantam cochin rooster. He had feathered feet.
    Post edited by oceaninmyeyes on
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

What a cute little silkie! One of our first chicks turned out to be a bantam cochin rooster. He had feathered feet.

Cool! I really like birds in general...when we went to the hardware store, they had chicks for sale. I would look at them and Mr. RK would pull me away 'you can't have one'. :(
    I wanted to tell him "but they will eat all the slugs in the garden!"

Thread integrity: I ordered 'eggs in a basket' (they call that dish all sorts of different names) in Missoula. I can make them no problem.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,764
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Have you perfected it yet? (btw: Congratulations on entering the 10,000 post club!)
    ELITIST FUK
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    mickeyrat said:
    Well, sure, but who wants to eat toads? Although the addition of cheese is masterful - I'll need to try that.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • SD48277 said:

Have you perfected it yet? (btw: Congratulations on entering the 10,000 post club!)
    Am I over 10,000 now? Man, I need to get a life. But thank you! :)

And yes, I have made 2 back to back perfect looking and tasting omelettes. Are you on Instagram? I posted a pic of my first one earlier this week. Second one was even better.

SD48277 said:

Am I over 10,000 now? Man, I need to get a life. But thank you! :)

And yes, I have made 2 back to back perfect looking and tasting omelettes. Are you on Instagram? I posted a pic of my first one earlier this week. Second one was even better.
    Congratulations on perfecting the omelette!
    I am not on Instagram. Do I need an account to view pics, or is it open to the public (and if so, how do I go about finding your pics?).
    ELITIST FUK
  • Uh, I think you join/sign up, which is easy and then add people you know. There's an Instagram thread on here, you should check it out.

But yeah, I'm dB_Chambers1219 on Instagram, so look for me and add/request my friendship.
  • And thank you - I was so proud of my first 2 perfect omelettes. Can't wait to make them even better.
    Found the pics! (I was able to go on there without an account.) Excellent looking omelette. Very adorable cat. And I am assuming that is you in the one pic? Very sweet pic.
    ELITIST FUK
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
    edited April 2015
    SD48277 said:

Found the pics! (I was able to go on there without an account.) Excellent looking omelette. Very adorable cat. And I am assuming that is you in the one pic? Very sweet pic.

Oh thanks! And yes, Pennie is my kitty. She is adorable. And yes, that's me. That was during my fat Elvis period(actually I'm still in my fat Elvis period). But I can get un-fat anytime. I just chose to extend it for now.