How the hell do you make an omelette?

I mean a good one? I could probably look it up or watch a YouTube video, but I don't want to. I'd rather learn here. Does anyone here want to tell me step for step how to make a perfect omelette? Also looking for different recipes. I bet Speedy knows how to make one.
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self

Comments

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
    I use the fake eggs (egg beaters). Chop up some mushrooms onion an green pepper. Heat the veggies in a separate pan with a little butter. Pour the eggs into a pan, flip those Fuckers over when one side is done. Then as the other side is cooking I put all the veggies on....but only on one half....then I sprinkle some cheese over the veggies. Then I fold the other half of the eggs over...on top of the veggies.

I actually make a pretty omelet.
    If I do say so myself.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Okay, so I wasn't flipping it over when one side was done. That makes sense.
    How many eggs do you use? And I've never heard of fake eggs before.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Im make a kick ass omelet......my 2 secret thing i put in are onion and sugar..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    I use the egg beaters Cuz it's just liquid. Easy to pour evenly in the pan. I usually pour about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch of liquid into the pan.

I've made omelets from scratch, separating whites and yolk...then beating the whites to make everything fluffy.....but it's just a pain in the ass....I even own an omelet pan....also a pain in the ass....
  • Sugar?? Like a pinch? Brown sugar might be good.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Just eat the eggs raw.
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Instead of flipping the omelette, I like to finish mine in a hot oven. I pour 3-4 beaten eggs into a hot skillet and immediately throw in your veggies. Once it's about half cooked I add cheese on top and throw into the broiler on high. I guess that technically, this is a frittata, but it's basically the same thing and much easier. Just remember to use an oven proof (all stainless steel) skillet and a freakin pot holder or oven mit as I have burnt the hell out of my hand before.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    Every other way I have tried to make omelets. I end up with raw eggs in the middle. The way I do it now, its almost like making an egg pancake...Then I load up half with my veggies and cheese...And just flip the other half over. It turns out pretty damned nice. Try it with spinach and cheddar. Delicious.
  • Just eat the eggs raw.

Who am I, Rocky?! And no, I would not be able to swallow one raw egg. It'd come right back up.
    I think I use a 6 inch pan, maybe 8 inch. Then ya feel all chef-like when you flip that fucker over using just the pan and not a spatula. Hahahaha
  • Instead of flipping the omelette, I like to finish mine in a hot oven. I pour 3-4 beaten eggs into a hot skillet and immediately throw in your veggies. Once it's about half cooked I add cheese on top and throw into the broiler on high. I guess that technically, this is a frittata, but it's basically the same thing and much easier. Just remember to use an oven proof (all stainless steel) skillet and a freakin pot holder or oven mit as I have burnt the hell out of my hand before.

I like that you mention a "hot oven" and a "hot skillet." Hey I might not be a master omelette maker or anything, but I'm not inept, lol.

This is the first I've ever heard of this method. I don't think I've ever heard of a frittata before? I may have to try it this way once I learn the normal way. Thanks!
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329

Just eat the eggs raw.

Who am I, Rocky?! And no, I would not be able to swallow one raw egg. It'd come right back up.
    Used to do this a bunch in high school (thanks Rock)... But yeah, I try this now I'm sure I'd puke
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
    edited April 2015

Instead of flipping the omelette, I like to finish mine in a hot oven. I pour 3-4 beaten eggs into a hot skillet and immediately throw in your veggies. Once it's about half cooked I add cheese on top and throw into the broiler on high. I guess that technically, this is a frittata, but it's basically the same thing and much easier. Just remember to use an oven proof (all stainless steel) skillet and a freakin pot holder or oven mit as I have burnt the hell out of my hand before.

Oh come on!
    Its much more fun flipping the fucker!
    Because until you get good at it, you have raw eggs all over the oven top.

hahahaha
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Get in your car and go to Denny's.
    badbrains said:

Ya gotta get The Veggie Skillet at Dennys.

Fucking Awesome!
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

badbrains said:

Fucking Awesome!
    I'm gonna crack chef speedy tonight even if that donkey chases to the river.
    badbrains said:

badbrains said:

Fucking Awesome!
    I'm gonna crack chef speedy tonight even if that donkey chases to the river.
    We will see.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,783
    edited April 2015
    three eggs, beaten well
    a pat of butter in a 10 inch pan over medium high heat
    when the butter bubbles drop the eggs
    stir the eggs with a fork until they start to set
    add cheese, salt and pepper (or other ingredients-less is more)
    fold over using thin flexible spatula- or use the speedy method if you have skills
    turn down heat and let it cook through for about 3 mins
    flip and turn off heat, let it rest a few mins
    eat
    use the best possible cheese as processed cheese has a lot of water content and can make your omelette runny.

Every man should know how to make a proper omelette- I lived on them in college.
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I've never flipped the eggs. After you pour in the scrambled eggs, you gently scrape the cooked egg from the edges to the center, tilt the pan so the liquid goes out to the edge and gets cooked.

Gotta use lots of butter, make sure the eggs don't stick to the pan, then toss in your fixings on one half, cover with a lid for a minute so it steams them, then slide half out on a plate then use the edge of the pan to fold the other half over the other.

and I love frittatas...way easier than an omelette.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    edited April 2015
    RKCNDY said:

I've never flipped the eggs. After you pour in the scrambled eggs, you gently scrape the cooked egg from the edges to the center, tilt the pan so the liquid goes out to the edge and gets cooked.

Gotta use lots of butter, make sure the eggs don't stick to the pan, then toss in your fixings on one half, cover with a lid for a minute so it steams them, then slide half out on a plate then use the edge of the pan to fold the other half over the other.

Yeah I gently scrape from the center. But then I give it a flip. Ya gotta give it the FLIP!!

And yes, plenty of butter.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

RKCNDY said:

Yeah I gently scrape from the center. But then I give it a flip. Ya gotta give it the FLIP!!

I don't flip cuz I don't mind the bit of raw egg...I usually order eggs over easy, and when I hard boil them, the centers are still slightly runny.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

RKCNDY said:

I make my omelette like you. I do flip it, though. I'm not a raw egg fan, but do enjoy my mom's sunny side up eggs. I have the skills of Speedy with flipping. I haven't lost an egg since I was 12 and that was a long time ago.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Get_Right said:

three eggs, beaten well
    a pat of butter in a 10 inch pan over medium high heat
    when the butter bubbles drop the eggs
    stir the eggs with a fork until they start to set
    add cheese, salt and pepper (or other ingredients-less is more)
    fold over using thin flexible spatula- or use the speedy method if you have skills
    turn down heat and let it cook through for about 3 mins
    flip and turn off heat, let it rest a few mins
    eat
    use the best possible cheese as processed cheese has a lot of water content and can make your omelette runny.

Every man should know how to make a proper omelette- I lived on them in college.

Good stuff. Great detail. Thanks.
  • RKCNDY said:

This is closer to how I was trying to make mine. I think I was using too many eggs, though. I don't want any runny egg in mine, which is what was happening. And I was cooking mine so long that it was getting too brown on the one side. I would love to be able to "slide half out on a plate then use the edge of the pan to fold the other half over the other." I'm gonna work on that part!

Best omelette I ever had was at a Smitty's and it had mushrooms, spinach and mozzarella. So good. That was about 2 years ago. I still think about it.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    There's this great little restaurant in Garberville, CA. called Woodrose Cafe. Last time I was there I could see the kitchen from where we sat and watched the cook make an omelet. I thought, "Well, that's exactly what I do." But mine are never as good as what this guy cooked up. I'm a decent cook but omelets for some reason escape me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,901
    man, I'm hungry!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Step 1. Open Grubhub app
    Step 2. Select nearest coffee shop/deli/diner
    Step 3. Select your omelette
    Step 4. Place your order
    Step 5. Wait
    Step 6. Answer doorbell

OR

Step 1. Open yelp app
    Step 2. Select "nearby restaurants"
    Step 3. click on the first coffee shop/deli/diner with 4+ stars
    Step 4. Click the phone number button
    Step 5. Speak to a Hooman person & tell them what kind of omelette you want
    Step 6. Wait
    Step 7. Answer doorbell

Foolproof.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,901
    ldent42 said:

Step 1. Open Grubhub app
    Step 2. Select nearest coffee shop/deli/diner
    Step 3. Select your omelette
    Step 4. Place your order
    Step 5. Wait
    Step 6. Answer doorbell

OR

Step 1. Open yelp app
    Step 2. Select "nearby restaurants"
    Step 3. click on the first coffee shop/deli/diner with 4+ stars
    Step 4. Click the phone number button
    Step 5. Speak to a Hooman person & tell them what kind of omelette you want
    Step 6. Wait
    Step 7. Answer doorbell

Foolproof.

is that how to pay 10 bucks for a dollar's worth of ingredients?

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16