Step 1. Open yelp app
    Step 2. Select "nearby restaurants"
    Step 3. click on the first coffee shop/deli/diner with 4+ stars
    Step 4. Click the phone number button
    Step 5. Speak to a Hooman person & tell them what kind of omelette you want
    Step 6. Wait
    Step 7. Answer doorbell

Foolproof.

My town is a bit short on options for delivery. The only people who deliver are pizza and whatever else they might have at that establishment and I promise that it's nothing special.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    imalive said:

or is it $15 in NYC?

Rude :nuh_uh:
    Bacon egg & cheese + large coffee $5.75 + tip = $9

Been a minute since I had an omelette but according to my grubhub order history last omelette + XL iced coffee = $9.50 + tip = $12.69

NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    omlette plus a XL iced coffee is $9.50?

does that include hashbrowns and toast?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,901
    RKCNDY said:

when I was in NYC, ida been happy just to find an omelette and coffee under 10 bucks.

maybe they have the tourist price and the local price.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    imalive said:

RKCNDY said:

when I was in NYC, ida been happy just to find an omelette and coffee under 10 bucks.

Anyone ever been to Norma's? God damn that's one expensive place for breakfast. But soooooo fucken good
    badbrains said:

imalive said:

RKCNDY said:

Anyone ever been to Norma's? God damn that's one expensive place for breakfast. But soooooo fucken good
    this is our 'cheapie' place:

http://lunaparkcafe.com/breakfast.html

actually Easy Street is cheaper, not as much food, but still really good

not sure how that compares to other places in the US...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I make something like an omelette all the time. My face combo at the moment is eggs, tuna, capers, and baby spinach. I put the tuna, capers and spinach in the pan and let them cook for a bit. Then I put the eggs in. I cover the pan with a lid. That somehow increases the volume of the eggs. After a while, you can flip the whole thing or part of it over and fry the other side.
    It is also great with breakfast sausage instead of tuna. Then I leave the capers out and put some tomatoes in instead. But somehow I always have spinach in there. Leaves me full for more than half of the day. Yum.
    RKCNDY said:

Yes, steak fries instead of home fries actually. That was for a feta cheese omelette. The most complicated I get is Irish sausage and cheese. if you're going for stuff with like kale and mushrooms and whatever it'd probably be more expensive. I like simple breakfast.

Fwiw if you're ordering from a restaurant in midtown it'd be more expensive.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    ldent42 said:

RKCNDY said:

Yes, steak fries instead of home fries actually. That was for a feta cheese omelette. The most complicated I get is Irish sausage and cheese. if you're going for stuff with like kale and mushrooms and whatever it'd probably be more expensive. I like simple breakfast.

Fwiw if you're ordering from a restaurant in midtown it'd be more expensive.
    That's it...I'm going to visit you just to have breakfast. I *lovelovelove* steak fries! I like HB, but it's rare when a place can make a perfect plate of HB...crispy brown on the outside, not too greasy on the inside.

Basic omelette here is right at $10-12, coffee extra-fancy omelette is $13+. I do live in a trendy neighborhood though, but we tried finding a good breakfast place in the 'not so trendy' neighborhood, couldn't find anywhere except for denny's.

- Christopher McCandless
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    RKCNDY said:

I've never flipped the eggs. After you pour in the scrambled eggs, you gently scrape the cooked egg from the edges to the center, tilt the pan so the liquid goes out to the edge and gets cooked.

Gotta use lots of butter, make sure the eggs don't stick to the pan, then toss in your fixings on one half, cover with a lid for a minute so it steams them, then slide half out on a plate then use the edge of the pan to fold the other half over the other.

and I love frittatas...way easier than an omelette.

That's almost exactly how I make mine, save for the lid/steaming part.
  • elenelen Posts: 188
    Real (French)omelette needs to be moist in the middle (not raw eggs, but reeeeally moist). It has to look like a pocket and the only way to make the real omelette is to put the eggs (and fillings) in the pan, after a couple of minutes scrambled them and move them on one side of the pan. Then strongly tap on the pan's handle: the eggs will magically start to go up on the edge of the pan and fold. While the outside is cooking the inside is staying super moist.
    For the records, I tried several times but I've never succeeded... the tapping hand hurt so bad and once they looked like scrambled eggs... I saw chefs doing that so easily...
    I think that if you flip it technically is a frittata :)
    2006: Verona, Milano, Honolulu
    2007: London
    2014: Milano
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway1, Fenway2, Wrigley1, Wrigley2
    2018: London1, Milano, Padova, Roma
    Oh man - if you like steak fries there used to be this fantastic place in the village but it got blow-ed up recently :disappointed: it was called Pomme Frites.
    Has nothing to do with my breakfast place that gives steak fries with omelette upon request, but I got all nostalgic for a second.
    None of the places I've referenced have websites
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    ldent42 said:

Oh man - if you like steak fries there used to be this fantastic place in the village but it got blow-ed up recently :disappointed: it was called Pomme Frites.
    Has nothing to do with my breakfast place that gives steak fries with omelette upon request, but I got all nostalgic for a second.
    None of the places I've referenced have websites

By the Belgian fries place (mcdougal?)
    It was a Belgian fries place. It wasn't by MacDougal tho, it was like 2nd & 7thish on the east side.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited April 2015
    my omelets aren't picture perfect & the word omelet isn't even to be used w/in 17ft of the thing. i turn a wannabe omelet into one badass scramble or mess. same shit, just not pretty

Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    RKCNDY said:

I've never flipped the eggs. After you pour in the scrambled eggs, you gently scrape the cooked egg from the edges to the center, tilt the pan so the liquid goes out to the edge and gets cooked.

Gotta use lots of butter, make sure the eggs don't stick to the pan, then toss in your fixings on one half, cover with a lid for a minute so it steams them, then slide half out on a plate then use the edge of the pan to fold the other half over the other.

I precook my veggies like Speedy. But oh, yes to the lid and steam. They come out perfectly.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • I'm gonna try bacon and tomato in my next omelette. Ooooohhh!!!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    elen said:

Real (French)omelette needs to be moist in the middle (not raw eggs, but reeeeally moist). It has to look like a pocket and the only way to make the real omelette is to put the eggs (and fillings) in the pan, after a couple of minutes scrambled them and move them on one side of the pan. Then strongly tap on the pan's handle: the eggs will magically start to go up on the edge of the pan and fold. While the outside is cooking the inside is staying super moist.
    For the records, I tried several times but I've never succeeded... the tapping hand hurt so bad and once they looked like scrambled eggs... I saw chefs doing that so easily...
    I think that if you flip it technically is a frittata :)

This makes sense, but eggs that are the least bit runny? :sick:

And I thought a frittata is not flipped but baked?

Then again, you live in Milan so I must defer to you on the cooking front =)

(sidenote, I love saying the word "frittata")
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888

I use the fake eggs (egg beaters). Chop up some mushrooms onion an green pepper. Heat the veggies in a separate pan with a little butter. Pour the eggs into a pan, flip those Fuckers over when one side is done. Then as the other side is cooking I put all the veggies on....but only on one half....then I sprinkle some cheese over the veggies. Then I fold the other half of the eggs over...on top of the veggies.

I actually make a pretty omelet.
    If I do say so myself.

This a good way to do it. I agree, it gets hard to get the egg cooked properly using other methods (I would put cheese under and over the filling btw). It's especially very good advice to cook the veggies first, unless you like raw veggies in your omelet. I always saute whatever I'm putting in my omelet (besides the cheese, obviously) - it really brings out the flavours of the filling. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • elenelen Posts: 188
    The word frittata derives from the word "fried" ("fritto", in Italian): you can bake a frittata... if you are on diet!
    A frittata has to be cooked in a lot of fat (butter or olive oil) and flipped with some advanced technical skills ;)

I personally like the moist part of the eggs in a good omelette, I don't find them runny but tasty :)
    2006: Verona, Milano, Honolulu
    2007: London
    2014: Milano
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway1, Fenway2, Wrigley1, Wrigley2
    2018: London1, Milano, Padova, Roma
    chadwick said:

my omelets aren't picture perfect & the word omelet isn't even to be used w/in 17ft of the thing. i turn a wannabe omelet into one badass scramble or mess. same shit, just not pretty

I do the same exact thing.
    I never put a vegetable in it though. I like my veggies crunchy. I am not comfortable with crunchy eggs. Usually I go for just cheese or salami and cheese. Occasionally turkey & avocado if I happen to have the ingredients. The place I used to get that omelette from closed and nothing has emerged to fill the void.

And I turn the flame off very early. I like my scrambled mess slightly gooey.
  • For the record I'll never eat an omelette made by either Chadwick or Ident42.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243

For the record I'll never eat an omelette made by either Chadwick or Ident42.

Better add me to that list, as I am not much of a cook.
    ELITIST FUK
  • SD48277 said:

We wouldn't make a good couple/roommates/. We'd either starve to death or go broke eating out all the time. Or we'd live off spaghetti, which is about all I can cook.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243

SD48277 said:

We wouldn't make a good couple/roommates/. We'd either starve to death or go broke eating out all the time. Or we'd live off spaghetti, which is about all I can cook.
    I'm good with take out, and I can make a great salad to balance out all the spaghetti. :wink:
    ELITIST FUK
    SD48277 said:

Me either...I like my eggs gooey too, and have a limited cooking ability.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    edited April 2015
    Anyone ever eaten at the breakfast place right outside the Santa Monica Pier? I can't for the life of me remember the name as its been 15 years but my god they had the best omelets. We used to go there all the time when visiting Venice Beach.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,472

Im make a kick ass omelet......my 2 secret thing i put in are onion and sugar..

sugar? no.

GET OUT.
    www.myspace.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,472

RKCNDY said:

Yeah I gently scrape from the center. But then I give it a flip. Ya gotta give it the FLIP!!

And yes, plenty of butter.
    fuck butter. olive oil is where it's at.
    www.myspace.com
  • Why olive oil? Tastes better?