Why Is Everyone on the Internet So Angry?

124»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,538

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

And a comment I made earlier was deleted by Kat I presume, so maybe it wasn't clear. I wrote "look in the mirror". I meant that I believe the internet is a direct reflection of real life, whether people want to believe it or not. People show their true colours, good or bad, on the net.

People have this misconception that world is getting worse. I wholeheartedly disagree. It is just that we can now truly see the real world, and how people tend to act if they know there are little or no consequences, and people dont like what they see.

My first reaction to your earlier comment, Hugh, was that it was a direct jab at the OP. Brief replies are easy to misconstrue.

I'd like to point out that I think this is part of the problem. we are all guilty of it. we are too quick to jump to the conclusion that brings the negative to the forefront. why is your first reaction that it was a jab and not simply answering the question, Brian? can we agree that this is part of the issue and how things escalate so quickly?

Sorry, I think you are taking this too personally. I didn't go out of my way to offend you although it seems like everything I say lately does offend you. Don't worry though, I will probably be done here in November when my membership expires.

I'm not taking anything personally brian. I think you may have misread/misinterpreted my statement about the "jab". i was asking why you thought my statement was a jab at the op, not that you were making a jab at me.

I stated right there that we are all guilty of what I stated, and we can all improve on it. I do it. many of us do. I'm trying to cultivate a solution here through dialogue.

and to address your second statement: you offended me once, and you ammended the statement that bothered me. it ended there.

That's good to know and thanks for clarifying.

And by the way, I didn't say I was going to leave here to gain some kind of sympathy. I'm just bummed with AMT lately. In the real world, I don't hate anyone and I don't know anyone who hates me. I don't see a lot of hate in my small circle at all. I have no enemies. I've made some good friends here but it seems I've managed to make some foes as well and I didn't come here to fill some empty place in my life that way. I'm guessing in the real world, most of us would have a great time meeting up. In this world, it's not so much so. That's sad and unfortunate.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,451
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

And a comment I made earlier was deleted by Kat I presume, so maybe it wasn't clear. I wrote "look in the mirror". I meant that I believe the internet is a direct reflection of real life, whether people want to believe it or not. People show their true colours, good or bad, on the net.

People have this misconception that world is getting worse. I wholeheartedly disagree. It is just that we can now truly see the real world, and how people tend to act if they know there are little or no consequences, and people dont like what they see.

My first reaction to your earlier comment, Hugh, was that it was a direct jab at the OP. Brief replies are easy to misconstrue.

I'd like to point out that I think this is part of the problem. we are all guilty of it. we are too quick to jump to the conclusion that brings the negative to the forefront. why is your first reaction that it was a jab and not simply answering the question, Brian? can we agree that this is part of the issue and how things escalate so quickly?

Sorry, I think you are taking this too personally. I didn't go out of my way to offend you although it seems like everything I say lately does offend you. Don't worry though, I will probably be done here in November when my membership expires.

I'm not taking anything personally brian. I think you may have misread/misinterpreted my statement about the "jab". i was asking why you thought my statement was a jab at the op, not that you were making a jab at me.

I stated right there that we are all guilty of what I stated, and we can all improve on it. I do it. many of us do. I'm trying to cultivate a solution here through dialogue.

and to address your second statement: you offended me once, and you ammended the statement that bothered me. it ended there.

That's good to know and thanks for clarifying.

And by the way, I didn't say I was going to leave here to gain some kind of sympathy. I'm just bummed with AMT lately. In the real world, I don't hate anyone and I don't know anyone who hates me. I don't see a lot of hate in my small circle at all. I have no enemies. I've made some good friends here but it seems I've managed to make some foes as well and I didn't come here to fill some empty place in my life that way. I'm guessing in the real world, most of us would have a great time meeting up. In this world, it's not so much so. That's sad and unfortunate.

we all need a break from the train now and again brian. I have taken a few sabbaticals myself.

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• edit: or a debate club. this is, last I checked, not a debate club. I'm here to discuss issues. not engage in exercises of challenging myself by taking the side I disagree with.

A Moving Train

Politics, current events - reasoned debate and discussion - we can all learn something new.

It may not be a club, but this place is about debate.
    well no shit. but why waste people's time arguing something you disagree with?

I said it before. That to discuss and debate, all angles are helpful. Otherwise it's not much of a discussion nor debate.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited April 2015

callen said:

Also feel one should never filter. The board allows you to speak your mind which one is not able to do in real world unfortunately.

Debating that's the fun part. And if you can get someone to get out of their comfort zone, Bonus.

Yeah, it's a bonus, but when people are forced out of their comfort zone, they don't react well, many times they don't learn. As we have seen, if their mind isn't open, they react by making personal digs.
    True but then you step back and say it a different way. Even ask questions, which is not trolling. Just have to deflect or ignore sometimes.

Does get frustration of being overwhelmed by negativity from a group of "supporters". Or as Bb stated gang banged. Ha.

I take as compliment though and enjoy it. And there are many on board that I totally disagree with but find them great humans.

And Fuck Military fly Byes and mostly God Bless Lithuania.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • callen said:

callen said:

Also feel one should never filter. The board allows you to speak your mind which one is not able to do in real world unfortunately.

Debating that's the fun part. And if you can get someone to get out of their comfort zone, Bonus.

Yeah, it's a bonus, but when people are forced out of their comfort zone, they don't react well, many times they don't learn. As we have seen, if their mind isn't open, they react by making personal digs.
    True but then you step back and say it a different way. Even ask questions, which is not trolling. Just have to deflect or ignore sometimes.

Does get frustration of being overwhelmed by negativity from a group of "supporters". Or as Bb stated gang banged. Ha.

I take as compliment though and enjoy it. And there are many on board that I totally disagree with but find them great humans.

And Fuck Military fly Byes and mostly God Bless Lithuania.
    Oh Callen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh78T--ZUxY
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,088
    Was reminded of this great Raylan Givens quote last night while watching the penultimate episode of one of my favorite shows, Justified. Not directed at anyone in particular or any one side in particular, just thought it might add some food for thought to the discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG4hOjJ9tEs

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    JimmyV said:

Did a "Team Conservative" really form while I was away? I find that hard to believe. The demographics of the board have always left what few conservatives we have vastly out numbered. Not to mention many here may lean left on this issue but right on the next. These labels so often miss the mark.

Jimmy,I'm right there with you on leaning left and right depending on issues.I always try to lean toward common sense.

But it seems I and others have been labeled With the scarlet letter "C". So on behalf of my fellow new Team Conservative members.(we are lobbying for minority status,lol) I would like to offer you a nice Team C smoking jacket,and membership card and lawn jockey.

Meetings will be held at the club of course and our next meeting we will be discussing why we are superior to everyone else and where we should summer this year.Nantucket,Santa Barbra or Palm Beach.Then of course a round of golf where we use no golf carts but actually ride the caddys like mules from hole to hole.
    Sounds like a hoot dosent it?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,659

this is kiling me !!!!...and here is some of the comody I enjoy here at the train, we actually have folfs debating the meaning of debate, quick someone copy this for the future train members and send a copy to Bill Cosby ! LOL !!!!!!!

Godfather.

They're not debating about debate they're arguing about debate :anguished:
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    either way I'm fallin apart here,Im laughing so hard sometimes my eyes water .....I even farted once LOL!!!!

Godfather.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,451

edit: or a debate club. this is, last I checked, not a debate club. I'm here to discuss issues. not engage in exercises of challenging myself by taking the side I disagree with.

A Moving Train

Politics, current events - reasoned debate and discussion - we can all learn something new.

It may not be a club, but this place is about debate.
    well no shit. but why waste people's time arguing something you disagree with?

I said it before. That to discuss and debate, all angles are helpful. Otherwise it's not much of a discussion nor debate.
    so basically what you are saying is, we will never really know if what you are saying is something you actually believe, or if you are just stirring the pot, so to speak. good to know.

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Debate's a-OK by me - the honest, constructive kind, that is. Would be nice without name-calling, foot-stomping, finger-pointing, etc...but such is life.

It's an MO for some; how I react (or not) is on me.

It's also important to note that within this medium - just as with actual personal interaction - not everyone will "like" each other. I think most of us can deal with this with civility and courtesy.
  • How difficult is it for you to understand that every discussion has at least two sides? It is irrelevant that I bleed for every stance I discuss, I am open minded enough to see many sides and to actually be self-contradictory at times! Imagine that! Try that on for size. Try to have a different perspective, try on an objective perspective, how about trying on the other sides perspective! Holy shit! But what you're saying is that I'm only allowed to have the one perspective that I believe in. That is being closed-minded Hugh, whether you like hearing it or not.
  • backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited April 2015
    hedonist said:

Debate's a-OK by me - the honest, constructive kind, that is. Would be nice without name-calling, foot-stomping, finger-pointing, etc...but such is life.

It's an MO for some; how I react (or not) is on me.

It's also important to note that within this medium - just as with actual personal interaction - not everyone will "like" each other. I think most of us can deal with this with civility and courtesy.

Don't just say it though hedonist. OWN IT. Civil and courteous is not what many have been here lately including yourself.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,827
    Too much getting personal. Thread done. Stop going after people. This forum is to discuss topics of interest in the news. Someone is EXTREMELY close to read-only.
    Falling down,...not staying down
This discussion has been closed.