Why Is Everyone on the Internet So Angry?

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,451
    JimmyV said:

People are angry on the internet because they are angry in life. The anonymity of the internet gives them cover to take their anger and frustration out on others without fear. Add in politics like we do here and the situation becomes combustible. Best of friends can be reduced to shouting at each other while disagreeing over politics. Families who love each other can see dinners and holidays ruined. Anonymous avatars on the internet? No mystery why some people get mean and angry.

For regular posters here the anonymity is lessened. We may not know each other's real names or faces, but if you participate in enough of these threads you do get a sense of who each of us are. Or what are views are, at least. None of our posts take place in a vacuum. He might remember what she said yesterday and she might remember what he argued the day before, and both might carry that over into an unrelated discussion the next day. Eventually arguments are just as much about the participants as the topics. Not always and not everyone, for sure, but there is a fair amount of that going on.

The best thing any of nus can do when it starts to be too much, to feel too personal, is to just take a break. The board will still be here and with it all the old arguments. I stepped away for awhile and honestly it felt great. Highly recommended to anyone who is feeling the anger is beginning to be too much.

:clap:

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

edited April 2015
    I've taken a few breaks here and there. and I've also learned to leave threads (or tried to remember to) when it is clear it will go nowhere but down. It's also a good idea to just flat out avoid trolls on the forums.

www.headstonesband.com

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    God damn, I feel like I'm watching a gang bang of BSL by team conservative. I've read through 2 threads and Jesus I've got a headache now. I will say this, some of you who claim to "not" be conservatives sure are fooling themselves or me. Cause to me and a few others, thought you guys are 100% conservatives. Not that it matters and nobody asked for my opinion but fuck it, felt like adding to this thread.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

JimmyV said:

People are angry on the internet because they are angry in life. The anonymity of the internet gives them cover to take their anger and frustration out on others without fear. Add in politics like we do here and the situation becomes combustible. Best of friends can be reduced to shouting at each other while disagreeing over politics. Families who love each other can see dinners and holidays ruined. Anonymous avatars on the internet? No mystery why some people get mean and angry.

For regular posters here the anonymity is lessened. We may not know each other's real names or faces, but if you participate in enough of these threads you do get a sense of who each of us are. Or what are views are, at least. None of our posts take place in a vacuum. He might remember what she said yesterday and she might remember what he argued the day before, and both might carry that over into an unrelated discussion the next day. Eventually arguments are just as much about the participants as the topics. Not always and not everyone, for sure, but there is a fair amount of that going on.

The best thing any of nus can do when it starts to be too much, to feel too personal, is to just take a break. The board will still be here and with it all the old arguments. I stepped away for awhile and honestly it felt great. Highly recommended to anyone who is feeling the anger is beginning to be too much.

:clap:

Double that - as well as your last post, Hugh. I haven't really done the break thing (damned if my skin has grown thicker over time!) but leaving / retreating for a spell, for sure.

As to online anger, gotta say (ironically?) I've felt the opposite lately here. Much kindness and good energy to found and felt here.

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    badbrains said:

God damn, I feel like I'm watching a gang bang of BSL by team conservative. I've read through 2 threads and Jesus I've got a headache now. I will say this, some of you who claim to "not" be conservatives sure are fooling themselves or me. Cause to me and a few others, thought you guys are 100% conservatives. Not that it matters and nobody asked for my opinion but fuck it, felt like adding to this thread.

Agree and they didn't have decency to use lube.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    So the board is a means for some to let off steam. Healthy.

Some on receiving end hear concepts and criticism that they'd ordinarily never hear.

Some may say it's a lack of respect or being rude but saying God didn't bless the US is not disrespecting. It's the truth Think he 's actually blessing Lithuania.

So the internet can be viewed as mean people posting but it could be that reality bites. And you never know if the mean guy may be smiling and laughing. :bee:
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    edited April 2015
    callen said:

badbrains said:

Maybe I am missing something, as, except for some notable exceptions, I generally can't remember individual posters political persuasions, but who is on team conservative again? And as far as I have seen, when someone gets trampled, its usually because they have put themselves under foot, so to speak.

www.headstonesband.com

And a comment I made earlier was deleted by Kat I presume, so maybe it wasn't clear. I wrote "look in the mirror". I meant that I believe the internet is a direct reflection of real life, whether people want to believe it or not. People show their true colours, good or bad, on the net.

People have this misconception that world is getting worse. I wholeheartedly disagree. It is just that we can now truly see the real world, and how people tend to act if they know there are little or no consequences, and people dont like what they see.

www.headstonesband.com

callen said:

badbrains said:

when someone gets trampled, its usually because they have put themselves under foot, so to speak.

I don't know about that.

And a comment I made earlier was deleted by Kat I presume, so maybe it wasn't clear. I wrote "look in the mirror". I meant that I believe the internet is a direct reflection of real life, whether people want to believe it or not. People show their true colours, good or bad, on the net.

People have this misconception that world is getting worse. I wholeheartedly disagree. It is just that we can now truly see the real world, and how people tend to act if they know there are little or no consequences, and people dont like what they see.

And how people act when no one's watching, no "reward", no recognition. To do right needs none of that.

brianlux said:

There's definitely a lot of anger on the internet and there's definitely a lot of anger in the real world in these times. Resources are getting strained, the environment is fucked, wars are endless, the Age of Anxiety plods on. I think some of the anger is justifiable and even worthy as long as it is focused on being constructive in making attempts at doing something to make things better. But a lot of the anger is like road rage- just another manifestation of people's inability to find healthy coping methods. And then there's the dick waving, that age old problem some guys have with their feelings of sexually inadequacy and to a lesser degree some women who mimic that kind of behavior.

OK, true I'm no anthropologist but that's sure what it looks like to me.

There's certainly a lot of name calling, inadequacy and anger on AMT. Just look at Musky's, RR's, hedonist's posts just since yesterday. And that's just those three, don't get me started on others who have driven this place into a cesspool of shit. Ahem, PJfan, etc. Should I call the rest of you bullies out?
    Actually, if you are being allowed to "call out the bullies", speaking only for myself, I have not recently been involved in discussions with someone as difficult to discuss with as I have had with you.

And I am not, nor have ever been, on any identifiable team.

www.headstonesband.com

callen said:

callen said:

badbrains said:

when someone gets trampled, its usually because they have put themselves under foot, so to speak.

I don't know about that.
    I am trying to be as diplomatic as possible. What I am trying to get at is some people get back as much as they give.

www.headstonesband.com

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    badbrains said:

No, nobody asked.

badbrains said:

No, nobody asked.
    Fuck the pm, I'm gonna directly contact you by phone! Ha
  • I meant that I believe the internet is a direct reflection of real life, whether people want to believe it or not. People show their true colours, good or bad, on the net.

I tend to disagree with the concept of people showing their true colours, good or bad when on the net.
    I feel that people may tend to over-emphasize emotion to drive a point across to the masses on a website that may read their statement without thought of the good or bad emotional impact it may make.
    I really don't feel like people would talk like that -all the time- in every conversation they have in person.
    True colours behaviour wise I believe it to mean processing all thoughts and to filter your words before speaking to others in order to communicate effectively.
    True colours for people on the net at times seems to have no filter (-read a physical person in front of them) so they look at a screen as a sounding board and pepper it with any thought with reckless abandonment, good or bad.
    Each and every person has an unlimited supply of emotions and thoughts. So for an avatar to have constant smiling positive and up filled responses to any single situation I believe it to not be true. It is impossible as a human to %100 be happy all the time, but it is very easy to portray one self as 100% happy and fulfilled with life all the time when posting on a screen. The same can be said as always portraying one self as %100 bad, sad, controversial etc.

I agree that many people are mistaking the world getting worse for simply seeing the real world when people act as if there is no consequences and not liking what they see.
    I also feel that because social media has rapidly brought the world closer (in the ability to communicate sense) that many people have missed the teachings of how to use a filter when speaking to others. That lesson can only be passed on by real human interaction.

I meant that I believe the internet is a direct reflection of real life, whether people want to believe it or not. People show their true colours, good or bad, on the net.

I tend to disagree with the concept of people showing their true colours, good or bad when on the net.
    I feel that people may tend to over-emphasize emotion to drive a point across to the masses on a website that may read their statement without thought of the good or bad emotional impact it may make.
    I really don't feel like people would talk like that -all the time- in every conversation they have in person.
    True colours behaviour wise I believe it to mean processing all thoughts and to filter your words before speaking to others in order to communicate effectively.
    True colours for people on the net at times seems to have no filter (-read a physical person in front of them) so they look at a screen as a sounding board and pepper it with any thought with reckless abandonment, good or bad.
    Each and every person has an unlimited supply of emotions and thoughts. So for an avatar to have constant smiling positive and up filled responses to any single situation I believe it to not be true. It is impossible as a human to %100 be happy all the time, but it is very easy to portray one self as 100% happy and fulfilled with life all the time when posting on a screen. The same can be said as always portraying one self as %100 bad, sad, controversial etc.

I agree that many people are mistaking the world getting worse for simply seeing the real world when people act as if there is no consequences and not liking what they see.
    I also feel that because social media has rapidly brought the world closer (in the ability to communicate sense) that many people have missed the teachings of how to use a filter when speaking to others. That lesson can only be passed on by real human interaction.
    Damn, man! All this true color talk makes me want to search out Cindy (Cyndi?) Lauper.

Actually, I think sometimes character and spirit come through loudly and clearly. Sure in person is preferable but doesn't preclude a connection through other means. I met my husband through the old forums and "got" him from the get-go.

More than 15 years together now.

I also - despite not having had the pleasure of a physical meet with most - have quite valid (and valued) friendships with many here. Much fondness, affection and respect given, and luckily received too.

Anyone who meets me in person (I wish Cosmo still came around these parts!) will get no less or more than given online. I am mine.

True, writing comes easier for me at times vs speaking, but it all comes from the same place.
  • callen said:

badbrains said:

Wow, a couple of people who actually aren't into patting Team Conservative on the back and kissing their asses. How refreshing! (and thanks guys, for seeing things for what they are).
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,538

My first reaction to your earlier comment, Hugh, was that it was a direct jab at the OP. Brief replies are easy to misconstrue.

I don't know about the world as a whole. I have my own opinion on that but we could that endlessly and final proof will only reveal itself in the future.

But more to the point and bring this closer to home, I personally feel worse about AMT. The bating, the fighting, the name calling seems a lot worse than it used to be here. Sometimes I hesitate to say what I really think because I know the chances are good that rather have a reply that is argues against what I say in a way that is critically useful, instead I get some nasty biting comment that serves no good purpose. And sometime I get defensive and do the same. We should be embarrassed by that kind of behavior. I hope I get better at this. I hope we all do. Otherwise why do it?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited April 2015
    callen said:

So the board is a means for some to let off steam. Healthy.

Some on receiving end hear concepts and criticism that they'd ordinarily never hear.

Some may say it's a lack of respect or being rude but saying God didn't bless the US is not disrespecting. It's the truth Think he 's actually blessing Lithuania.

So the internet can be viewed as mean people posting but it could be that reality bites. And you never know if the mean guy may be smiling and laughing. :bee:

It's not only reality bites a lot of the time, but it's the difficult job of looking at ourselves objectively and admitting that no, our country (and certainly ourselves) aren't a pretty little perfect image of sunshine all the time.

If you feel threatened by my unpopular but fair and factual opinions and articles, perhaps you should take out your anger in more constructive ways. (directed to all, not personally, you called)

And yeah, I am laughing. :giggle:
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
    I'm in no way team liberal or team conservative. I know both sides are fucked up and don't give 2 shits about any of us. I just think the leaders the conservatives have are completely embarrassing. When people in your own party start to question your stance, then you know something's wrong.
    edited April 2015

Actually, if you are being allowed to "call out the bullies", speaking only for myself, I have not recently been involved in discussions with someone as difficult to discuss with as I have had with you.

I am trying to be as diplomatic as possible. What I am trying to get at is some people get back as much as they give.

Are you kidding. Shall I recount all the personal jabs you have made toward me? There are a few. Team or not (but if you want to call it a team of people ganging up on me? You're def. involved).

Have a good night. :bee:
  • I meant that I believe the internet is a direct reflection of real life, whether people want to believe it or not. People show their true colours, good or bad, on the net.

Totally agree. I wonder exactly how many people read the articles...
    edited April 2015
    Have we forgotten we are on a DEBATE FORUM.

debate

noun de·bate \di-ˈbāt, dē-\
    : a discussion between people in which they express different opinions about something

Note: If you don't like my strong opinion (and sometimes I merely take the opposite stance because someone's got to for debate or discussion sake) because it makes you uncomfortable, then perhaps you've got a problem with debate and discussion.

debate

: a discussion between people in which they express different opinions about something

A good remind. It's easy to forget that here. Let's try it.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Are you kidding. Shall I recount all the personal jabs you have made toward me? There are a few. Team or not (but if you want to call it a team of people ganging up on me? You're def. involved).

Have a good night. :bee:
    Zero. I have offered my advice on how to conduct yourself (from personal experience, no less) on the forums so as to be heard instead of just dismissed. I have never ganged up on anyone. Anyone around here familiar with me knows that is not my style at all.

www.headstonesband.com

debate

Note: If you don't like my strong opinion (and sometimes I merely take the opposite stance because someone's got to for debate or discussion sake) because it makes you uncomfortable, then perhaps you've got a problem with debate and discussion.

Lots of us, nay, most of us, have strong opinions. The opinion is not the problem. The delivery is.

And arguing for arguments sake has a term: it is called trolling.

www.headstonesband.com

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,085
    I come here to learn from all of you I don't like to argue at all I try to hang with most of you but I know I'm not as polished when it comes to politics so I read and try to learn ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Have we forgotten we are on a DEBATE FORUM.

debate

And arguing for arguments sake has a term: it is called trolling.

The virtual term trolling and asking questions have become synonymous.

I come here to learn from all of you I don't like to argue at all I try to hang with most of you but I know I'm not as polished when it comes to politics so I read and try to learn ....

You might be the wisest of us all!

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,659
    It's quite simple....
    Maybe all the angry people just need to get laid! :blush:
This discussion has been closed.