Options

Why Is Everyone on the Internet So Angry?

backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
edited April 2015 in A Moving Train
A perfect storm engenders online rudeness, including virtual anonymity and thus a lack of accountability, physical distance and the medium of writing

With a presidential campaign, health care and the gun control debate in the news these days, one can't help getting sucked into the flame wars that are Internet comment threads. But psychologists say this addictive form of vitriolic back and forth should be avoided — or simply censored by online media outlets — because it actually damages society and mental health.

These days, online comments "are extraordinarily aggressive, without resolving anything," said Art Markman, a professor of psychology at the University of Texas at Austin. "At the end of it you can't possibly feel like anybody heard you. Having a strong emotional experience that doesn't resolve itself in any healthy way can't be a good thing."

If it's so unsatisfying and unhealthy, why do we do it?

A perfect storm of factors come together to engender the rudeness and aggression seen in the comments' sections of Web pages, Markman said. First, commenters are often virtually anonymous, and thus, unaccountable for their rudeness. Second, they are at a distance from the target of their anger — be it the article they're commenting on or another comment on that article — and people tend to antagonize distant abstractions more easily than living, breathing interlocutors. Third, it's easier to be nasty in writing than in speech, hence the now somewhat outmoded practice of leaving angry notes (back when people used paper), Markman said. [Infographic: A Typical Day on the Internet]

And because comment-section discourses don't happen in real time, commenters can write lengthy monologues, which tend to entrench them in their extreme viewpoint. "When you're having a conversation in person, who actually gets to deliver a monologue except people in the movies? Even if you get angry, people are talking back and forth and so eventually you have to calm down and listen so you can have a conversation," Markman told Life's Little Mysteries.

Chiming in on comment threads may even give one a feeling of accomplishment, albeit a false one. "There is so much going on in our lives that it is hard to find time to get out and physically help a cause, which makes 'armchair activism' an enticing [proposition]," a blogger at Daily Kos opined in a July 23 article.

And finally, Edward Wasserman, Knight Professor in Journalism Ethics at Washington and Lee University, noted another cause of the vitriol: bad examples set by the media. "Unfortunately, mainstream media have made a fortune teaching people the wrong ways to talk to each other, offering up Jerry Springer, Crossfire, Bill O'Reilly. People understandably conclude rage is the political vernacular, that this is how public ideas are talked about," Wasserman wrote in an article on his university's website. "It isn't."

Communication, the scholars say, is really about taking someone else's perspective, understanding it, and responding. "Tone of voice and gesture can have a large influence on your ability to understand what someone is saying," Markman said. "The further away from face-to-face, real-time dialogue you get, the harder it is to communicate."

In his opinion, media outlets should cut down on the anger and hatred that have become the norm in reader exchanges. "It's valuable to allow all sides of an argument to be heard. But it's not valuable for there to be personal attacks, or to have messages with an extremely angry tone. Even someone who is making a legitimate point but with an angry tone is hurting the nature of the argument, because they are promoting people to respond in kind," he said. "If on a website comments are left up that are making personal attacks in the nastiest way, you're sending the message that this is acceptable human behavior." [Niceness Is in Your DNA, Scientists Find]

For their part, people should seek out actual human beings to converse with, Markman said — and we should make a point of including a few people in our social circles who think differently from us. "You'll develop a healthy respect for people whose opinions differ from your own," he said.

Working out solutions to the kinds of hard problems that tend to garner the most comments online requires lengthy discussion and compromise. "The back-and-forth negotiation that goes on in having a conversation with someone you don't agree with is a skill," Markman said. And this skill is languishing, both among members of the public and our leaders.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-is-everyone-on-the-internet-so-angry/
Post edited by backseatLover12 on

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2015
    When did we get so nasty?

http://www.scottmonty.com/2012/08/when-did-we-get-so-nasty.html

Vitriolic.

That's the only word I can think of that effectively summarizes what I've seen online lately.

In case you're not familiar with the term, it's derived from the word vitriol, which is another term for sulphuric acid. "Vitriolic" means caustic or severely harsh, and it's quite clear that those who have physically used the chemical compound to attack others have clearly meant harm. There's even evidence of that in an old Sherlock Holmes story, "The Illustrious Client."

And lately, if you've had even a passing glance at any number of topics on the web - Chick-fil-A and their CEO's unfortunate statements, the Olympics (particularly the two athletes who now find themselves banned because of hateful tweets directed against their competitors), or of course anything related to politics that involves two or more political parties - you'll get the sense that rational and emotionally detached debate has completely gone out the window.
    Earlier this political season, I remarked on Facebook that instead of levying a constant barrage of attacks, negative commentary and invective at the other candidate, people should try posting something positive about their own candidate:

That didn't last long. That was five months ago. And look where we are now.

Just what is it today that makes people think they can get away with being so downright abusive to fellow humans online? It used to be that people hid behind the anonymity that the Internet allowed. And when the likes of Facebook came along, mostly everyone who had an account needed to own up to who they were.

Oh sure, there are still trolls who hide behind fake identities on a variety of sites, from forums to blogs and even Facebook and Google+ now. But the this behavior has become so insidious - so acceptable - that suddenly, some people don't care who they offend or how antisocial it makes them look; they just seem to want to make themselves feel better by putting others down.

Did you ever hear the phrase nani gigantum humeris insidentes? Of course you didn't. It's Latin; no one speaks it any more. But you may recognize its translation: "Dwarves standing on the shoulders of giants." It was famously uttered by Sir Isaac Newton and signifies that we owe much to those who have gone before. Essentially, it's about respect.

But the troglodytes spewing negativity online today would have us believe that they know better - that they are the giants. Standing on what, the shoulders of dwarves?

And the natural response to someone who comes out of the gate swinging is typically either more support for their view, or an equal and opposite reaction (that's my nod to Newton and my physics professors) to blunt it. Either way, there's a party that's meant to be taken down a notch or offended.

There is an old Cherokee legend that deals with this issue of how to handle such. an offense.

Grandfather Tells (The Wolves Within)
    An old Grandfather said to his grandson, who came to him with anger at a friend who had done him an injustice, "Let me tell you a story.

"I too, at times, have felt a great hate for those that have taken so much, with no sorrow for what they do. But hate wears you down, and does not hurt your enemy. It is like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die. I have struggled with these feelings many times."

He continued, "It is as if there are two wolves inside me. One is good and does no harm. He lives in harmony with all around him, and does not take offense when no offense was intended. He will only fight when it is right to do so, and in the right way.

"But the other wolf, ah! He is full of anger. The littlest thing will set him into a fit of temper. He fights everyone, all the time, for no reason. He cannot think because his anger and hate are so great. It is helpless anger,for his anger will change nothing. Sometimes, it is hard to live with these two wolves inside me, for both of them try to dominate my spirit."

The boy looked intently into his Grandfather's eyes and asked, "Which one wins, Grandfather?"

The Grandfather smiled and quietly said, "The one I feed."

So don't you think it's time we stopped feeding the negativity? What if we all banded together to demonstrate that there's much more to be gained by positive thinking and positive words? At Ford, we make it a point not to refer to our competition in any way - and certainly not in a disparaging way. It's a good practice that more businesses (and dare I say politicians?) should take to heart. Words can come back to haunt us, thus harming business and personal relationships alike.

I had started this post last night but didn't have a chance to finish it before I turned in. And then to my surprise, my colleague Frank Eliason had crafted a very similar post on his own blog ("A Day to Be #PositivelySocial").

In fact, Frank has gone to far as to suggest that we set aside a day - just one day, August 14 - when we can be positive online. He has suggested using the #PositivelySocial hashtag and encouraging others to do so, to show that we can tone down the vitriol and attacks and instead focus on being more helpful, encouraging and genuinely positive.

Maybe we should harken back to our childhood influences and take this to heart:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGt9jAkWie4
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2015
    I don't think everyone is angry on the internet.
    I certainly think that more and more people who use the internet for socialization are becoming angrier though.
    Communication via type is not the same as face to face or even via phone.
    People need to actually talk and hear not type and read once in awhile.

edit- I changed my sentence. deal with it (not directed to you bsl)
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,994

I certainly think that more and more people who use the internet for socialization are becoming angrier though.

"Deal with it". Something which, ironically, I wouldn't find remotely polite to say to a friend or stranger face to face or even via phone. It's almost as though you should to actually talk and hear not type and read once in awhile.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2015
    benjs said:

"Deal with it". Something which, ironically, I wouldn't find remotely polite to say to a friend or stranger face to face or even via phone. It's almost as though you should to actually talk and hear not type and read once in awhile.
    "Deal with it" is simply that. The vile spew from immediate responses on the internet (not you benjs) is enough to say, woa, horsey, slow your roll.

edit- there goes my damn edits and my uncontrolled thoughts again.
    I want to add to my post that editing your post is a pain in the ass because you have to type every word.
    Add to that, it is about time we get some more people on AMT.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,905
    There's definitely a lot of anger on the internet and there's definitely a lot of anger in the real world in these times. Resources are getting strained, the environment is fucked, wars are endless, the Age of Anxiety plods on. I think some of the anger is justifiable and even worthy as long as it is focused on being constructive in making attempts at doing something to make things better. But a lot of the anger is like road rage- just another manifestation of people's inability to find healthy coping methods. And then there's the dick waving, that age old problem some guys have with their feelings of sexually inadequacy and to a lesser degree some women who mimic that kind of behavior.

OK, true I'm no anthropologist but that's sure what it looks like to me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

There's definitely a lot of anger on the internet and there's definitely a lot of anger in the real world in these times. Resources are getting strained, the environment is fucked, wars are endless, the Age of Anxiety plods on. I think some of the anger is justifiable and even worthy as long as it is focused on being constructive in making attempts at doing something to make things better. But a lot of the anger is like road rage- just another manifestation of people's inability to find healthy coping methods. And then there's the dick waving, that age old problem some guys have with their feelings of sexually inadequacy and to a lesser degree some women who mimic that kind of behavior.

Am I allowed to respond to this?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,415
    I only frequent this board I'm not on any social outlets at all just here , so at least it keeps me away from that vile existence plus the thing that got me to this board is the love of music ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    me too, I haven't been on BMXNEWS in years.
    but one thing I've seen from meeting people on BMXNEWS in the past(and many are still friends) is that these places are used as an outlet for thier anger or just an opertunity to say what they feel inside at the time but when I've met them in person most times they are very nice people, for instance on here I've been called a racist and a biggot but if any of you ever meet me you'd find out non of that is true, this and other places are just message boards..a place for people to exchange ideas or thoughts and discuse common interests and that more times than not turn into a difference in opinions and you know how the rest goes, at the end of the day it's all fun to me.

Godfather.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited April 2015

but one thing I've seen from meeting people on BMXNEWS in the past(and many are still friends) is that these places are used as an outlet for thier anger or just an opertunity to say what they feel inside at the time but when I've met them in person most times they are very nice people, for instance on here I've been called a racist and a biggot but if any of you ever meet me you'd find out non of that is true, this and other places are just message boards..a place for people to exchange ideas or thoughts and discuse common interests and that more times than not turn into a difference in opinions and you know how the rest goes, at the end of the day it's all fun to me.

Godfather.

Now,now GF you are a proud card holding member of the so called evil empire that is "Team Conservative".
    Of course we must be biggots and full of hate.Havent you been following along.We are an angry bunch.Fun is just something we have at others expense.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    rr165892 said:

Godfather.

Now,now GF you are a proud card holding member of the so called evil empire that is "Team Conservative".
    Of course we must be biggots and full of hate.Havent you been following along.We are an angry bunch.Fun is just something we have at others expense.
    HAHHAHHAHAHAHHAH DANG IT ! well I tried.. HAHAHHAHHAHAHAH

Godfather.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    brianlux said:

There's certainly a lot of name calling, inadequacy and anger on AMT. Just look at Musky's, RR's, hedonist's posts just since yesterday. And that's just those three, don't get me started on others who have driven this place into a cesspool of shit. Ahem, PJfan, etc. Should I call the rest of you bullies out?
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Godfather.

No, no one ever said Team Conservative are full of hate. Just you.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

brianlux said:

There's certainly a lot of name calling, inadequacy and anger on AMT. Just look at Musky's, RR's, hedonist's posts just since yesterday. And that's just those three, don't get me started on others who have driven this place into a cesspool of shit. Ahem, PJfan, etc. Should I call the rest of you bullies out?

KAT, a response?

The bully card, really? Whole new threshold.

Honestly, I'm sorry you're so hot under the collar. If you feel the need to have Kat or Sea take action, please feel free to act upon it.

I'm cool with how I've conducted myself lo these many years posting in the forums, and have zero problems with the other members accused of...(something).

And to our mods, I hope you don't feel the need to shut this down. The dialogue might, ultimately, be a positive.

Or englightening :whistle:
  • Options
    …And you're cool with your buds taking direct personal shots. We all see you showing your support...
  • Options

Godfather.

GF - not even taking into account your side-writing / poetry, which I have taken to heart (and soul) - you are among the many here whose hand I would shake upon a face-to-face but more likely to give a kiss on the cheek.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,736
    Hedonist is no bully, and no one's ever going to be convinced of that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Thank you - this (the opinion of someone I hold in high regard) means a lot to me.
  • Options

brianlux said:

don't get me started on others who have driven this place into a cesspool of shit. Ahem, PJfan,
    So does this mean I won't be getting a +1 from you anytime soon?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah,but she does run with some unscrupulous individuals.Im affraid we may bring down her image on these here interwebs.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,027
    PJ_Soul said:

+1 on that.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2015
    BSL,if you think suggesting you get out into the sunshine and relax a bit and just breathe and enjoy life, is taking personal shots so be it.
    Nothing I have ever said is meant to insult or hurt you personally.I don't agree with a lot of your positions or look at the world the same way you do,but it's not meant to be personal.Can you say the same?I believe my tone and position toward you has always been to lighten up a bit.Enjoy the ride.Dont take things so serious and personal.We are all just having a little fun.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    Wow - much appreciation from here considering the sources. Thank you!
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

brianlux said:

Do you seriously call this name calling?
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I'm starting to think BSLs account got hacked.
  • Options
    "Cesspool of shit" I like that BSL.Its sassy.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Oh, please. I am more of an observer these days, and don't get too emotionally wrapped up in threads here. My days of being a headache for the mods here are long behind me, and I prefer to keep a low profile. So while I'm not an impartial observer, I'm more of an observer than a participant. What I have observed is that you like to take jabs at specific posters, and the anger and hate that you see is something that exists mostly in your mind. Sure MuskyDan may make posts to get reactions from time to time. Hedo and RR seem to genuinely enjoy interacting with others, and if anything seem to try to work toward consensus. I do see you, however, continuing to snipe at posters even after being asked to move on.

I don't see the AMT as a cesspool of shit, so perhaps that is something you dug for yourself. You should probably just crawl out, hose off, and move along if the smell is too much for you. I took a couple of years break from this place and it was a good thing for me.

And to respond directly to the topic of the thread, yes there is a lot of hate being spewed on the Internet, but I find value in almost all opinions - some opinions reinforce my own, some make me frustrated, some make me rethink my own positions, but all add value of some kind. One person's cesspool is another's fountain of knowledge, opinion, and ideas.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777
    edited April 2015
    Well, we certainly don't think it's a cesspool of shit and I don't recall someone being a headache either. Maybe some people need to take a break...a day or two? There's a lot of good people with differing opinions but that can make for great debate if everyone remembers to mind their manners and not get personal. This thread may not last...show us that it can continue as a good discussion and it'll stay open.
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,994

brianlux said:

I think there's also a decent amount of delusion, negativity, negativity about delusion, and delusion about negativity. All four can be found within this thread: and all four can be ignored because there's a critical mass necessary to sustain great, informative, educational, interesting debate (also found within this thread).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    People are angry on the internet because they are angry in life. The anonymity of the internet gives them cover to take their anger and frustration out on others without fear. Add in politics like we do here and the situation becomes combustible. Best of friends can be reduced to shouting at each other while disagreeing over politics. Families who love each other can see dinners and holidays ruined. Anonymous avatars on the internet? No mystery why some people get mean and angry.

For regular posters here the anonymity is lessened. We may not know each other's real names or faces, but if you participate in enough of these threads you do get a sense of who each of us are. Or what are views are, at least. None of our posts take place in a vacuum. He might remember what she said yesterday and she might remember what he argued the day before, and both might carry that over into an unrelated discussion the next day. Eventually arguments are just as much about the participants as the topics. Not always and not everyone, for sure, but there is a fair amount of that going on.

The best thing any of nus can do when it starts to be too much, to feel too personal, is to just take a break. The board will still be here and with it all the old arguments. I stepped away for awhile and honestly it felt great. Highly recommended to anyone who is feeling the anger is beginning to be too much.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
This discussion has been closed.