Why Is Everyone on the Internet So Angry?

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,085
    brianlux said:

I come here to learn from all of you I don't like to argue at all I try to hang with most of you but I know I'm not as polished when it comes to politics so I read and try to learn ....

You might be the wisest of us all!

Oh Brian I'd put that label on you I'm just here to learn from all the wise ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,451

brianlux said:

I come here to learn from all of you I don't like to argue at all I try to hang with most of you but I know I'm not as polished when it comes to politics so I read and try to learn ....

You might be the wisest of us all!

Oh Brian I'd put that label on you I'm just here to learn from all the wise ...
    We can all learn from each other. Sometimes the best reflection comes from the least polished stone.

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Have we forgotten we are on a DEBATE FORUM.

debate

noun de·bate \di-ˈbāt, dē-\
    : a discussion between people in which they express different opinions about something

Note: If you don't like my strong opinion (and sometimes I merely take the opposite stance because someone's got to for debate or discussion sake) because it makes you uncomfortable, then perhaps you've got a problem with debate and discussion.

And arguing for arguments sake has a term: it is called trolling.

The virtual term trolling and asking questions have become synonymous.
    I ask questions all the time. Thats not trolling. At least not to me.

www.headstonesband.com

• Have we forgotten we are on a DEBATE FORUM.

debate

: a discussion between people in which they express different opinions about something

Note: If you don't like my strong opinion (and sometimes I merely take the opposite stance because someone's got to for debate or discussion sake) because it makes you uncomfortable, then perhaps you've got a problem with debate and discussion.

So I guess we have different opinions on what trolling is?
  • People only learn from each other when the mind is open and people actually listen to each
    Other. Arguing for argument's sake is actually what debating is. The point of discussion is hearing all angles.

It's quite simple....
    Maybe all the angry people just need to get laid! :blush:

Hellz yeah!
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Arguing for the sake of arguing is debating? I disagree. I would call that trolling too. Because arguing just for the sake of arguing will either spitting out something you actually disagree with or just not be factual because one a not be versed in the topic. But they want to just argue so they spat junk out.
  • backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited April 2015
    benjs said:

I think there's also a decent amount of delusion, negativity, negativity about delusion, and delusion about negativity. All four can be found within this thread: and all four can be ignored because there's a critical mass necessary to sustain great, informative, educational, interesting debate (also found within this thread).

What an awesome and intelligent assessment. Kudos benjs.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,538

Arguing for the sake of arguing is debating? I disagree. I would call that trolling too. Because arguing just for the sake of arguing will either spitting out something you actually disagree with or just not be factual because one a not be versed in the topic. But they want to just argue so they spat junk out.

I get what you mean but techincally...

de·bate
    dəˈbāt/
    noun
    noun: debate; plural noun: debates

1. a formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward.

or

de·bate (dĭ-bāt′)
    v. de·bat·ed, de·bat·ing, de·bates
    v.intr.
    1. To consider something; deliberate.
    2. To engage in argument by discussing opposing points.
    3. To engage in a formal discussion or argument.
    4. Obsolete To fight or quarrel.

As for what trolling is- it's something that when the person is doing it, they know it, and it's something that when it's directed at you, you know it. And basically, no one is fooled by it. We all know it.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

debate

You seriously believe asking questions is akin to trolling? I call that clarifying/learning.

www.headstonesband.com

• Have we forgotten we are on a DEBATE FORUM.

debate

You seriously believe asking questions is akin to trolling? I call that clarifying/learning.

Yes.
    People on a website are but nothing until being asked the hard knocked questions.
    In real life the dialogue would be slower, civil and satisfying on both ends.
    So yes, I think the word troll is a cop out for people that don't want to associate online.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I believe a troll is someone that knowingly says things so outlandish and so ridiculous that it has to evoke responses and criticisms. The troll may or may not know anything about the subject matter. But wants to say something he knows will bait people in. The troll knows he/she is off topic when the crazy post is posted. The troll answers questions in a manner that needs a secret decoder ring. Or just refuses to answer and asked another question.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

I believe a troll is someone that knowingly says things so outlandish and so ridiculous that it has to evoke responses and criticisms. The troll may or may not know anything about the subject matter. But wants to say something he knows will bait people in. The troll knows he/she is off topic when the crazy post is posted. The troll answers questions in a manner that needs a secret decoder ring. Or just refuses to answer and asked another question.

Yes. It's not a troll under a bridge, it's relative to fishing. Throwing out the line, with some bait on it and waiting for a response.

troll

verb
    gerund or present participle: trolling
    informal
    make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
    "if people are obviously trolling then I'll delete your posts and do my best to ban you"
    fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat.
    "we trolled for mackerel"
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    hedonist said:

me too, I haven't been on BMXNEWS in years.
    but one thing I've seen from meeting people on BMXNEWS in the past(and many are still friends) is that these places are used as an outlet for thier anger or just an opertunity to say what they feel inside at the time but when I've met them in person most times they are very nice people, for instance on here I've been called a racist and a biggot but if any of you ever meet me you'd find out non of that is true, this and other places are just message boards..a place for people to exchange ideas or thoughts and discuse common interests and that more times than not turn into a difference in opinions and you know how the rest goes, at the end of the day it's all fun to me.

Godfather.

GF - not even taking into account your side-writing / poetry, which I have taken to heart (and soul) - you are among the many here whose hand I would shake upon a face-to-face but more likely to give a kiss on the cheek.

o.k.....that made me blush, thank you Hedonist, peace love and respect to you and your family.

Godfather.

• callencallen Posts: 6,388

callen said:

callen said:

badbrains said:

God damn, I feel like I'm watching a gang bang of BSL by team conservative. I've read through 2 threads and Jesus I've got a headache now. I will say this, some of you who claim to "not" be conservatives sure are fooling themselves or me. Cause to me and a few others, thought you guys are 100% conservatives. Not that it matters and nobody asked for my opinion but fuck it, felt like adding to this thread.

Agree and they didn't have decency to use lube.
    when someone gets trampled, its usually because they have put themselves under foot, so to speak.

I don't know about that.
    I am trying to be as diplomatic as possible. What I am trying to get at is some people get back as much as they give.

Okay get what your saying.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited April 2015
    brianlux said:

de·bate
    dəˈbāt/
    noun

1. a formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward.

or

de·bate (dĭ-bāt′)
    v.intr.

As for what trolling is- it's something that when the person is doing it, they know it, and it's something that when it's directed at you, you know it. And basically, no one is fooled by it. We all know it.

Brian, agree with all but some times receiver takes as trolling when they either don't understand or it's really uncomfortable. Think to many times we use trolling excuse.

Also feel one should never filter. The board allows you to speak your mind which one is not able to do in real world unfortunately.

Debating that's the fun part. And if you can get someone to get out of their comfort zone, Bonus.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    edited April 2015
    brianlux said:

de·bate
    dəˈbāt/
    noun

or

de·bate (dĭ-bāt′)
    v.intr.

arguing for the sake of arguing is something my 8 year old does.

edit: or a debate club. this is, last I checked, not a debate club. I'm here to discuss issues. not engage in exercises of challenging myself by taking the side I disagree with.

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on

www.headstonesband.com

debate

that's a question. so are you trolling?

www.headstonesband.com

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,088
    Did a "Team Conservative" really form while I was away? I find that hard to believe. The demographics of the board have always left what few conservatives we have vastly out numbered. Not to mention many here may lean left on this issue but right on the next. These labels so often miss the mark.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    brianlux said:

And a comment I made earlier was deleted by Kat I presume, so maybe it wasn't clear. I wrote "look in the mirror". I meant that I believe the internet is a direct reflection of real life, whether people want to believe it or not. People show their true colours, good or bad, on the net.

People have this misconception that world is getting worse. I wholeheartedly disagree. It is just that we can now truly see the real world, and how people tend to act if they know there are little or no consequences, and people dont like what they see.

My first reaction to your earlier comment, Hugh, was that it was a direct jab at the OP. Brief replies are easy to misconstrue.

I'd like to point out that I think this is part of the problem. we are all guilty of it. we are too quick to jump to the conclusion that brings the negative to the forefront. why is your first reaction that it was a jab and not simply answering the question, Brian? can we agree that this is part of the issue and how things escalate so quickly?

www.headstonesband.com

JimmyV said:

Did a "Team Conservative" really form while I was away? I find that hard to believe. The demographics of the board have always left what few conservatives we have vastly out numbered. Not to mention many here may lean left on this issue but right on the next. These labels so often miss the mark.

some people just have to label those that don't agree with them.

www.headstonesband.com

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    JimmyV said:

Yup - and your getting it is appreciated.

I think the "team" thing is more of a sticker-slap vs reality. It's much easier to accuse (and, ironically, get angry with) those with whom we see things from different though not necessarily malicious perspectives.

brianlux said:

de·bate
    dəˈbāt/
    noun

or

de·bate (dĭ-bāt′)
    v.intr.

edit: or a debate club. this is, last I checked, not a debate club. I'm here to discuss issues. not engage in exercises of challenging myself by taking the side I disagree with.

That's not my style. I think you know that.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

And a comment I made earlier was deleted by Kat I presume, so maybe it wasn't clear. I wrote "look in the mirror". I meant that I believe the internet is a direct reflection of real life, whether people want to believe it or not. People show their true colours, good or bad, on the net.

People have this misconception that world is getting worse. I wholeheartedly disagree. It is just that we can now truly see the real world, and how people tend to act if they know there are little or no consequences, and people dont like what they see.

My first reaction to your earlier comment, Hugh, was that it was a direct jab at the OP. Brief replies are easy to misconstrue.

I'd like to point out that I think this is part of the problem. we are all guilty of it. we are too quick to jump to the conclusion that brings the negative to the forefront. why is your first reaction that it was a jab and not simply answering the question, Brian? can we agree that this is part of the issue and how things escalate so quickly?

Sorry, I think you are taking this too personally. I didn't go out of my way to offend you although it seems like everything I say lately does offend you. Don't worry though, I will probably be done here in November when my membership expires.

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Sorry, I think you are taking this too personally. I didn't go out of my way to offend you although it seems like everything I say lately does offend you. Don't worry though, I will probably be done here in November when my membership expires.

I'm not taking anything personally brian. I think you may have misread/misinterpreted my statement about the "jab". i was asking why you thought my statement was a jab at the op, not that you were making a jab at me.

I stated right there that we are all guilty of what I stated, and we can all improve on it. I do it. many of us do. I'm trying to cultivate a solution here through dialogue.

and to address your second statement: you offended me once, and you ammended the statement that bothered me. it ended there.

www.headstonesband.com

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

de·bate
    dəˈbāt/
    noun

or

de·bate (dĭ-bāt′)
    v.intr.

That's not my style. I think you know that.

I know it's not. I was responding to your "I get what you mean but technically" statement. that was all.

www.headstonesband.com

• callen said:

Also feel one should never filter. The board allows you to speak your mind which one is not able to do in real world unfortunately.

Debating that's the fun part. And if you can get someone to get out of their comfort zone, Bonus.

Yeah, it's a bonus, but when people are forced out of their comfort zone, they don't react well, many times they don't learn. As we have seen, if their mind isn't open, they react by making personal digs.

• edit: or a debate club. this is, last I checked, not a debate club. I'm here to discuss issues. not engage in exercises of challenging myself by taking the side I disagree with.

A Moving Train

Politics, current events - reasoned debate and discussion - we can all learn something new.

It may not be a club, but this place is about debate.
  • JimmyV said:

Rather than try to persuade you Jimmy, it's all here. Spend some time reading the police threads, that Wisconsin thread, and others. You can see for yourself.

A Moving Train

Politics, current events - reasoned debate and discussion - we can all learn something new.

It may not be a club, but this place is about debate.
    well no shit. but why waste people's time arguing something you disagree with?

www.headstonesband.com

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    this is kiling me !!!!...and here is some of the comody I enjoy here at the train, we actually have folfs debating the meaning of debate, quick someone copy this for the future train members and send a copy to Bill Cosby ! LOL !!!!!!!

Godfather.
This discussion has been closed.