Options

Iran Deal, the reset.....

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,802
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    When was the last time a million Americans gathered in a square to shout "Death to [Name Your Country]!"  Never. Our government is not perfect. Much of our foreign policy is whacked. But by and large, we are a generous people who would never whip ourselves into a stampede over the death of a general. Quite simplistically, and I know unrealistically, I would love it if we pulled out of Iraq and let those people have that desert all to themselves to do whatever they want. Good riddance, I would say. The Middle East has been nothing but trouble from the beginning. I just can't understand or sympathize with the point of view of a people, a culture, who hatefully gather to shout "Death to America." Fuck that. God help us all. We've got a lunatic president leading us into a war against a country also led by lunatics. 
    You have completely ignored the US history in Iran.
    Let s be fair, Iran has been stirring the pot since Carter.  
    To be fair,  as a reaction to the ridiculous carving of the ottoman empire and subsequent 50 years as a client or puppet state.  I certainly don't blame the people.  However,  the Revolutionary Guard hasn't done its people any favors since 79.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    When was the last time a million Americans gathered in a square to shout "Death to [Name Your Country]!"  Never. Our government is not perfect. Much of our foreign policy is whacked. But by and large, we are a generous people who would never whip ourselves into a stampede over the death of a general. Quite simplistically, and I know unrealistically, I would love it if we pulled out of Iraq and let those people have that desert all to themselves to do whatever they want. Good riddance, I would say. The Middle East has been nothing but trouble from the beginning. I just can't understand or sympathize with the point of view of a people, a culture, who hatefully gather to shout "Death to America." Fuck that. God help us all. We've got a lunatic president leading us into a war against a country also led by lunatics. 
    everything seemed pretty ok until trump walked in and fucked it all up in the name of un-obama-ing everything. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Have we bombed inside Irans boarders since Trump took office, or since tensions have ratcheted up? Just curious. I’m sure we will be tonight and I guess I wonder if that’s a whole new level of escalation. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,492
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
     when was the last time a country invaded the US under the guise of liberation just to control the region's oil supply, killed hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians, bragged "mission accomplished", and occupied that territory for a decade. 

just imagine if that happened. you'd be in the streets shouting at the top of you lungs too. 
    Yeah but that was Iraq, not Iran. I agree with what dreams.  Pull the hell
    out of the Middle East and let them sort out their own problems. 
    And maybe not assassinate people in their military. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    To be fair,  as a reaction to the ridiculous carving of the ottoman empire and subsequent 50 years as a client or puppet state.  I certainly don't blame the people.  However,  the Revolutionary Guard hasn't done its people any favors since 79.
    You re going Ottoman Empire?! Wow.  And I can tell you didn’t google that.    You and I need to sit down one day and just talk history. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    everything seemed pretty ok until trump walked in and fucked it all up in the name of un-obama-ing everything. 

I remember... pepperidge farms remembers.

It's a fact that since Trump took office,  our relationship with Iran has plummeted,  this after the Shia helped us with ISIS.  We had the opportunity to bring Iran into a peaceful fold but we have been belligerent since January '17.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
     when was the last time a country invaded the US under the guise of liberation just to control the region's oil supply, killed hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians, bragged "mission accomplished", and occupied that territory for a decade. 

just imagine if that happened. you'd be in the streets shouting at the top of you lungs too. 

Let’s not pretend the guy was a Boy Scout.  
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So?

Funny you're in here defending the act (of war). 

My god.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Should someone have assassinated Nixon then? I mean the guy prolonged the murder of the vietnamese people to win an election - that's some cold hearted not so fucking Boy Scout-ish shit?

Or war criminal W Bush lying himself to a war in Iraq and all the blood that is on his hands?

Let's not pretend they were Boy Scouts. Right? Fair game?

Or you find it more okey when they are from the middle east?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227
    mcgruff10 said:

This is a gop war. They alone have been escalating with Iran over the last ten years. There is nothing wrong having a peaceful presence in the region to keep the oil flowing.

No one is sayin Iran are Boy Scouts. But trump has been goading Iran , since the day he took office after Obama tried peace. 

Haley’s comments today are disgusting and dishonest. She was supposed to be one of the moderate republicans and she proved herself to be a liar. No one in the dem party is shedding tears for Iran, we just don’t want another republican war.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So?

My god.
    I ve actually been against this assassination since the beginning. RIF

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

This is a gop war. They alone have been escalating with Iran over the last ten years. There is nothing wrong having a peaceful presence in the region to keep the oil flowing.

No one is sayin Iran are Boy Scouts. But trump has been goading Iran , since the day he took office after Obama tried peace. 

Haley’s comments today are disgusting and dishonest. She was supposed to be one of the moderate republicans and she proved herself to be a liar. No one in the dem party is shedding tears for Iran, we just don’t want another republican war.
    This is very reminiscent of the Cold War. A few proxy wars, some confrontations, threat of war but no all out war.  
  • Options
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So?

My god.

But let's anyways make sure to point out that the guy who was assinateted was not a boy scout. 

Lol. sure jan.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So?

My god.

But let's anyways make sure to point out that the guy who was assinateted was not a boy scout. 

Lol. sure jan.
    I m not sure what your point is. Dude was a bad guy; Are you debating that?
    What grade would you give Iran in the area of human rights?

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So?

My god.

Lol. sure jan.

To me, it’s irrelevant.  I think it was a strategic blunder caused, mostly, by not having a strategy. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,455
    mcgruff10 said:

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So?

My god.

Lol. sure jan.

To me, it’s irrelevant.  I think it was a strategic blunder caused, mostly, by not having a strategy. 
    Agreed.  I m anxious to see trump s next move.  
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,455
    This could turn real ugly fast tonight 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,272
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    don't forget how we meddled with them and installed the shah after wwII.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    don't forget how we meddled with them and installed the shah after wwII.
    True but imo shit hit the fan after hostages were took because of what, the former leader went to the us to get cancer treatment?!
  • Options
    well here we have it. another war started by a republican president that really did not have to do anything, as the iran nuclear deal was working.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    You need to understand the history. Think before Carter.

In 1953, the government of prime minister Mohammed Mossadeq was overthrown in a coup organized by the governments of the U.S. and the UK. Many Iranians argue that the coup and the subsequent U.S. support for the shah proved largely responsible for the shah's arbitrary rule, which led to the "deeply anti-American character" of the 1979 revolution.[29]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E2%80%93United_States_relations#Prime_Minister_Mossadeq_and_his_overthrow
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    You need to understand the history. Think before Carter.

In 1953, the government of prime minister Mohammed Mossadeq was overthrown in a coup organized by the governments of the U.S. and the UK. Many Iranians argue that the coup and the subsequent U.S. support for the shah proved largely responsible for the shah's arbitrary rule, which led to the "deeply anti-American character" of the 1979 revolution.[29]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E2%80%93United_States_relations#Prime_Minister_Mossadeq_and_his_overthrow
    Excellent point   It s crazy how much history is brought up when discussing current events. Good stuff.   

• Options
    So in we have two sides, who have hated each other for decades, staring down at each other waiting for someone's move.  who's gonna be the bigger person and realize that war just isn't worth it ? This scenario reminds me of a book I used to use when teaching the Cold War: Dr. Seuss's "The Butter Battle Book."  The last page really comes to mind: 
    "Grandpa, I shouted, Be careful oh gee.
    Who's going to drop it?  Will you?  Or will he?"
    "Be patient," said Grandpa. "We'll see, we shall see."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,090
    mcgruff10 said:

it's all the same region. i don't blame anyone there for believing america is the real terrorists. and it's a little late to pull out now, when the US has created much of the problems that currently exist. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So?

My god.

Lol. sure jan.

Why? Either trump backs down or we risk an escalating air war. Rumors are 30 deaths at that air base. If trump retaliates, then Israel could get hit hard. Then what? Nuclear war? Where does this end? 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So?

My god.

Lol. sure jan.

spoiler alert.

trump will tweet. then we will retaliate and trump will call it the greatest. most tremendous military mission in the history of war.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

it's all the same region. i don't blame anyone there for believing america is the real terrorists. and it's a little late to pull out now, when the US has created much of the problems that currently exist. 
    There's definitely a lot of blame to go around.