Options

Iran Deal, the reset.....

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    If people want to criticize the lifting of the sanctions because it is fully possible that they will have increased economic capacity to sponsor terrorism, that is a legitimate criticism.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    rgambs said:

It really bothers me that these discussions don't appraise the current situation. Iran is building toward nuclear weapons under the almighty sanctions that people are so upset about lifting. FACT: This deal INCREASES Iran's breakout time even under their lowest level of compliance.
    All discussion from conservative sources deliberately ignore this fact, which is a deplorable obfuscation.

Yup, here's an OpEd piece that puts it in perspective for me:
    Obama's Nuclear Deal with Iran is the Worst Option, Except for all the Others
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,935
    Jason P said:

mickeyrat said:

Jason P said:

benjs said:

Jason P - curious to hear your opinion (not the satirical news site's), if you care to share!

I've made previous post explaining my position, but in summary I think it is a dumb decision to make a deal when we hold all the cards. People making the argument that we have nukes so why shouldn't they is the same argument the NRA makes when saying more guns save lives. And no matter what the debate is for any topic, the whole "10 years down the road" is complete BS because there is no accountability.

It makes great sense for Iran because economic sanctions get lifted and they can comply or keep on working on uranium enrichment in the darkness and some day down the road yell "Fooled you!" and then what?

The deal should have been shut everything down, we give you energy credits, you get your economy back and we are all cool, like three little Fonzies.

Speaking of the Fonz, this is how the negotiations should have played out, with Sam Jackson playing the role of the current POTUS and Pumpkin and Honey Bunny playing the role of Iran...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QPPN_gkj_gk

Add in the fact that this admins foreign policy is be far it's weakest link, this deal concerns me greatly. They have allowed ISIS and a poor mans Soviet Union resurrect themselves under their watch.
    Your last doesn't take into account that both were long simmering and bound to happen at some point. No matter who was in office OR how big dick swinging they might have been.

Simply stating it happened on his watch foesnt accuratrly reflect all past admins role in both. Congresses too.
    You can play the blame game back to the Roman ages if you want, but this administration had a full term in before ISIS and Putin came to power. That is a key sign to bad foreign policy.

Especially since this administration used foreign policy as a key selling point in the last election!

Umm no, Bush was REAL chummy with Putin. Remember , he could see it in his eyes, he was a tructworthy man.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    mickeyrat said:

Jason P said:

mickeyrat said:

Jason P said:

benjs said:

Jason P - curious to hear your opinion (not the satirical news site's), if you care to share!

I've made previous post explaining my position, but in summary I think it is a dumb decision to make a deal when we hold all the cards. People making the argument that we have nukes so why shouldn't they is the same argument the NRA makes when saying more guns save lives. And no matter what the debate is for any topic, the whole "10 years down the road" is complete BS because there is no accountability.

It makes great sense for Iran because economic sanctions get lifted and they can comply or keep on working on uranium enrichment in the darkness and some day down the road yell "Fooled you!" and then what?

The deal should have been shut everything down, we give you energy credits, you get your economy back and we are all cool, like three little Fonzies.

Speaking of the Fonz, this is how the negotiations should have played out, with Sam Jackson playing the role of the current POTUS and Pumpkin and Honey Bunny playing the role of Iran...

Add in the fact that this admins foreign policy is be far it's weakest link, this deal concerns me greatly. They have allowed ISIS and a poor mans Soviet Union resurrect themselves under their watch.
    Your last doesn't take into account that both were long simmering and bound to happen at some point. No matter who was in office OR how big dick swinging they might have been.

Simply stating it happened on his watch foesnt accuratrly reflect all past admins role in both. Congresses too.
    You can play the blame game back to the Roman ages if you want, but this administration had a full term in before ISIS and Putin came to power. That is a key sign to bad foreign policy.

Especially since this administration used foreign policy as a key selling point in the last election!

Umm no, Bush was REAL chummy with Putin. Remember , he could see it in his eyes, he was a tructworthy man.
    Putin was kept in check under 'Dubya. I don't think Putin has any respect for Obama. I think Russia sees Obama as weak and Putin is seizing the chance to try to repower the Soviet Union.

10 years ago I was happy that the whole Cold War was over and that there was little chance for global thermonuclear warfare. Currently, on July 4th of this year, we had Tupolev Tu-95 "Bear" strategic bombers probing our intercepting response off the coast of California and Alaska.

That is fucked up.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

mickeyrat said:

Jason P said:

mickeyrat said:

Jason P said:

benjs said:

Putin was kept in check under 'Dubya. I don't think Putin has any respect for Obama. I think Russia sees Obama as weak and Putin is seizing the chance to try to repower the Soviet Union.

10 years ago I was happy that the whole Cold War was over and that there was little chance for global thermonuclear warfare. Currently, on July 4th of this year, we had Tupolev Tu-95 "Bear" strategic bombers probing our intercepting response off the coast of California and Alaska.

That is fucked up.
    That kinda shit never stopped.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    The prediction is that gasoline will be $2/gallon in a few months....oil dropping to $50/barrel now that Iran's supply is in the pipeline.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

The prediction is that gasoline will be $2/gallon in a few months....oil dropping to $50/barrel now that Iran's supply is in the pipeline.

Hmm, wonder if that still makes the tar sands a viable investment now.

• Options

This puts the conservative uproar in context!
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,944
    edited July 2015
    rgambs said:

This puts the conservative uproar in context!
    It really does. There are certainly legitimate questions and concerns about this deal because no deal is perfect...but the potential for shrinking oil profits has to be terrifying to many.

Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    For critics just have one answer: North Korea.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    How much does Isreal hate Obama now?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    edited July 2015

Frankly, who cares? How much global pressure does Israel need in order to get them to move on literally the exclusive contentious issue that leaves them with logical adversary (i.e. not hatred for hatred's sake) in the eyes of the world?

-division of Jews around the world surrounding contentious topics, and obvious Muslim opposition (religious adversary)
    -BDS (economic adversary)
    -nuclear Iran, which Netanyahu says could lead to the destruction of Israel (military adversary - not the kind with homemade rockets and stones)

A government ought to protect its country's economy, its religious freedoms, and its right to survive. Maybe out of this we'll see a more realistic Netanyahu emerge, as opposed to the delusional and paranoid one governing on fear and the fallacious promise that he will lead Israel to perpetual security, when his people catch wind of the fact that he provides none of the above.

Maybe this is an opportunity for Israel and the Palestinians to talk once again for a serious plan, with rules, regulations, compromises, and consequences when these aren't abided by.
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    mickeyrat said:

Jason P said:

mickeyrat said:

Jason P said:

mickeyrat said:

Jason P said:

benjs said:

That is fucked up.
    That kinda shit never stopped.
    It didn't stop but it at least became rare. Ever since The Summer Of Putin was ruined by the Ukraine civil war, the shit was up scaled big time.

They have been probing US and European borders and scouting response time constantly since the Putin-bribed Olympics ended. The 4th of July probes were a sure mark of gamesmanship by our comrades.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    benjs said:

Frankly, who cares? How much global pressure does Israel need in order to get them to move on literally the exclusive contentious issue that leaves them with logical adversary (i.e. not hatred for hatred's sake) in the eyes of the world?

-division of Jews around the world surrounding contentious topics, and obvious Muslim opposition (religious adversary)
    -nuclear Iran, which Netanyahu says could lead to the destruction of Israel (military adversary - not the kind with homemade rockets and stones)

A government ought to protect its country's economy, its religious freedoms, and its right to survive. Maybe out of this we'll see a more realistic Netanyahu emerge, as opposed to the delusional and paranoid one governing on fear and the fallacious promise that he will lead Israel to perpetual security, when his people catch wind of the fact that he provides none of the above.

Maybe this is an opportunity for Israel and the Palestinians to talk once again for a serious plan, with rules, regulations, compromises, and consequences when these aren't abided by.
    Yea, it was a sarcastic question.
  • Options
    EA17313EA17313 Posts: 62
    Baleh. Kabob sorkh kon... sofreh bendaz!!! Eddie Vedder Joon!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    EA17313 said:

Baleh. Kabob sorkh kon... sofreh bendaz!!! Eddie Vedder Joon!

Are you Iranian? I know what Baleh, Kabob and Joon mean but can't get the gist of your post.

Just random Persian words strung together? If I'm mistaken that you're poking fun or being insulting, apologies.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941

benjs said:

Yea, it was a sarcastic question.
    My bad. Passion got the best of me!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,693
    rgambs said:

If people want to criticize the lifting of the sanctions because it is fully possible that they will have increased economic capacity to sponsor terrorism, that is a legitimate criticism.

I'm late to this party, but this point or argument is a bit confusing to me. Al Qaeda and ISIS, which are the major terrorist org right now, are both Sunni. Iran is Shia. Yes, they could funnel money to terrorists and theoretically they could have more money to give to terrorists with improved economic conditions, but our greatest threat in the region are currently Sunnis.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

rgambs said:

I'm late to this party, but this point or argument is a bit confusing to me. Al Qaeda and ISIS, which are the major terrorist org right now, are both Sunni. Iran is Shia. Yes, they could funnel money to terrorists and theoretically they could have more money to give to terrorists with improved economic conditions, but our greatest threat in the region are currently Sunnis.
    Mostly just Hezbollah right now as I understand it. You hear a ton of rhetoric in the vein of "Iran is the number one state sponsor of terror in the world" but that's really just about as bullshit as it can be.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

rgambs said:

SOME Sunnis.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

mrussel1 said:

rgambs said:

SOME Sunnis.
    I'm obviously not saying all Sunnis are a threat, but the point is that Iran is not going to be funding Sunni terrorist organizations. They are mortal enemies.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

callen said:

mrussel1 said:

rgambs said:

SOME Sunnis.
    I'm obviously not saying all Sunnis are a threat, but the point is that Iran is not going to be funding Sunni terrorist organizations. They are mortal enemies.
    Yeah knew you didn't mean all.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    So now an ad was posted on the "Supreme leaders" Facebook or some social media page ,again wanting death to the U.S. And has a pic of Obama with a gun to his head.These are the folks we are removing sanctions on? I don't think this goes down with a congressional vote looming.
  • Options
    Facebook or some social media page. it must be true.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    mickeyrat said:

Facebook or some social media page. it must be true.

Yeah it has to be true after all it's on the interweb ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

So now an ad was posted on the "Supreme leaders" Facebook or some social media page ,again wanting death to the U.S. And has a pic of Obama with a gun to his head.These are the folks we are removing sanctions on? I don't think this goes down with a congressional vote looming.

I believe it, but at the same time who would expect anything different right now? The supreme leader is a hard liner and needs to sell the deal to the hard liners in the country. These are the people that went through the revolution. But the deal was made due to pressure from the youth, IMO. The number of young people in Iran is astonishing, and they want non aggressive relationships with the West. But we should not expect rhetoric to change overnight. It will be almost impossible for Congress to kill the deal.
  • Options
    The other parties can simply press forward for their end and tell us to fuck off.

Congress needs to understand its a multilateral deal.