cleaning the house

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,901
    oh yeah, carpet viewed under a microscope would scare the crap outta you....mites and little bugs and stuff.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive said:

oh yeah, carpet viewed under a microscope would scare the crap outta you....mites and little bugs and stuff.

Believe me! I did crime scene clean up, remember?? I don't EVER want to fucking know what is really in the carpet ever again!! Lol
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    ^^^yes, I just leave the vacuum out rather than putting it away. So much easier than the swiffer. I swear, I can brush the dog outside, not get anymore hair off, then as soon as he comes in, he blows his coat and it's all over the floor! Aarrrggghhhhh! I can't win.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    sorry for this.....

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    ldent42 said:

Changing the sheets on the bed usually takes me the whole day. Pull the mattress out, rest. Take the sheets half off, rest. Take the rest off, rest. My back and height make it a Herculean task.

Exactly. We slept on a queen for years and finally got a king - ugh, changing that comforter cover is a nightmare. And the mattress pad. Yuck.

As Rob knows, my husband and I are far from Hollywood types. The night before the cleaning lady comes I'm running around saying, "We have to clean the house because the cleaning ladies (it's a pair of ladies) are coming tomorrow." So we do a lot of cleaning the night before. I worked with a woman once, a Hollywood type, and she would have parties the night before her cleaning lady came and she said, "It's great because they wash all the dishes."

Naturally my husband and I wash all the dishes BEFORE the cleaning ladies come.
  • imalive said:

Believe me! I did crime scene clean up, remember?? I don't EVER want to fucking know what is really in the carpet ever again!! Lol
    RKCNDY said:

^^^yes, I just leave the vacuum out rather than putting it away. So much easier than the swiffer. I swear, I can brush the dog outside, not get anymore hair off, then as soon as he comes in, he blows his coat and it's all over the floor! Aarrrggghhhhh! I can't win.

That's because of artificial light.. Used to drive me nuts!! Lol Zoe just sheds mildly all year.. But Pit Bull hair sucks cause it sticks in everything!! That God for the Fur buster hair removal pads!!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    RKCNDY said:

I 'clean as I go'...so let's say I'm making spaghetti, chop everything, get pot of water boiling. Dump everything I just chopped up in the pan (i make sauce from scratch). Dump pasta in water, as pasta is boiling, I wash the cutting board and knife, put veggies away, wipe down counters. By the time I'm done washing, pasta and sauce are done. Tah-dah. Eat, and I wash the dishes after I eat.

I don't have a dishwasher. Can't afford a cleaning lady, besides, that's weird to have someone come to my house to do that...I make the mess I clean it up. Can't stand when people mindlessly leave stuff (wrappers, tissue, etc) laying around, I have a trash can in every room for that reason.
    Though, I do have books, magazines, etc here and there, I don't have an immaculate house. Swiffer and vacuum as needed.
    (i have found that most people in my neighborhood do have a cleaning person).

P.S. I hate sharing a bathroom with a boy.

plz explain yourself here w/ this statement
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:

RKCNDY said:

I 'clean as I go'...so let's say I'm making spaghetti, chop everything, get pot of water boiling. Dump everything I just chopped up in the pan (i make sauce from scratch). Dump pasta in water, as pasta is boiling, I wash the cutting board and knife, put veggies away, wipe down counters. By the time I'm done washing, pasta and sauce are done. Tah-dah. Eat, and I wash the dishes after I eat.

I don't have a dishwasher. Can't afford a cleaning lady, besides, that's weird to have someone come to my house to do that...I make the mess I clean it up. Can't stand when people mindlessly leave stuff (wrappers, tissue, etc) laying around, I have a trash can in every room for that reason.
    Though, I do have books, magazines, etc here and there, I don't have an immaculate house. Swiffer and vacuum as needed.

probably because his damn toothbrush takes up cosmetics space.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Enkidu said:

I guess because I am an elitist fuck I have a cleaning lady. Once a week or once every two weeks. She does the one thing I totally hate - changes the sheets/comforter. I'd clean a toilet in a heartbeat, get on my hands and knees and scrub the floor - but I hate changing sheets.

With a dog and two cats there is a lot of fur so we try to sweep as much as we can. And we make our kids do stuff too. Sunday is laundry day and I'm in charge of that. My husband is in charge of the litter box.

Oh man, I'd LOVE to have a cleaner come in once a week!! I really can't afford it though. Not without sacrificing my vinyl buying anyway.
    I also despise changing sheets. I could also do without washing windows (gotta get myself a squeegee).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited March 2015
    RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

But with s cat and a dog in the house, I vacuum at least once a day.. But house cleaning day is Tuesday..

when the sun hits the wood floors just right and highlights Piper's little piles of hair, I'll pull out the vacuum and do a little spot pickup....usually about every other day, depending on current shedding patterns.
    I love my pets, but I can't stand pet hair or dust! Lol oxymoron I know.. But our house it CLEAN! Although the wood floor irritates the shit outta me!! Lol
    Carpet is so gross! When you pull up carpet and see all the dirt that is trapped under that and the pad, you will hate carpet. With hard floors, at least you can see the dirt and clean it up, with carpet you will never really know if it truly is clean.
    Oh yeah, truly disgusting. I moved last year solely to get the fuck away from filthy carpets. Doesn't matter how much you vacuum or even shampoo. Carpets are bacteria traps. I am very happy sweeping and swiffering my wood laminate constantly rather than live with carpet and let all that filth settle down into the carpet base and let carpet mites set up shop and stuff. Ew.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    imalive said:

chadwick said:

RKCNDY said:

Ha! Our shower has more than a dozen bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, facial soap, facial scrub - all mine. His? A bar of soap (though I let him use my stuff whenever he wants).

hedonist said:

imalive said:

chadwick said:

RKCNDY said:

Ha! Our shower has more than a dozen bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, facial soap, facial scrub - all mine. His? A bar of soap (though I let him use my stuff whenever he wants).

same here. I have a bar of Dial and a bottle (30% more for FREE!) of Suave.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

hedonist said:

imalive said:

chadwick said:

RKCNDY said:

same here. I have a bar of Dial and a bottle (30% more for FREE!) of Suave.

His is Irish Spring (but I like it too =) )

I love the simplicity of men - and I mean that in a good (and admirable) way.

chadwick said:

RKCNDY said:

the rim of the bowl is disgusting, shaved off whiskers, all over the sink and in all the nooks and crannies of the faucet, I have never had my sink clog so much...what to they stuff down there?

Oh, and I don't have a counter in the bathroom, the sink is mounted to the wall.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Enkidu said:

I guess because I am an elitist fuck I have a cleaning lady. Once a week or once every two weeks. She does the one thing I totally hate - changes the sheets/comforter. I'd clean a toilet in a heartbeat, get on my hands and knees and scrub the floor - but I hate changing sheets.

With a dog and two cats there is a lot of fur so we try to sweep as much as we can. And we make our kids do stuff too. Sunday is laundry day and I'm in charge of that. My husband is in charge of the litter box.

I guess I'm an elitist fuck also,as we have cleaning girls come in on Wednesday.That said.we keep it sparkly day to day and in between.
    Not for nothing but I find the best foreplay in the world is doing the dishes,bathing the dogs and folding laundry.Plus I do all the cooking.Mrs rr loves that shit.:)
    hedonist said:

imalive said:

I'd like to see a video of kitty toilet training ^^^^^

She doesn't like to be filmed on the can, lol.

It's pretty simple, really. 3 stages. Each stage the littler pan gets smaller and smaller, until she doesn't use litter anymore. I use flushable kitty litter, so it's safe to go down the toilet. She's currently on stage 2. I'm hoping to have her trained by the end of May.
    I wish we'd done this with ours.

Speaking of cats/dogs, my god - the fur! We'd have to clean so much less if not for that, but dammit, it's worth it.

I can't do much of the heavy cleaning so my husband handles that. I'd love to hire a service once every month or two but I feel weird about it.

But yeah, aside from the minor daily stuff, it's pretty much a weekend thing here.

Get a rumba robot vacuum.Great for pet hair
    rr165892 said:

Enkidu said:

I guess I'm an elitist fuck also,as we have cleaning girls come in on Wednesday.That said.we keep it sparkly day to day and in between.
    Not for nothing but I find the best foreplay in the world is doing the dishes,bathing the dogs and folding laundry.Plus I do all the cooking.Mrs rr loves that shit.:)
    If only all men knew this...*sigh*

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

rr165892 said:

Enkidu said:

If only all men knew this...*sigh*
    It's like an express pass....hehe
    rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

imalive said:

It's pretty simple, really. 3 stages. Each stage the littler pan gets smaller and smaller, until she doesn't use litter anymore. I use flushable kitty litter, so it's safe to go down the toilet. She's currently on stage 2. I'm hoping to have her trained by the end of May.

Speaking of cats/dogs, my god - the fur! We'd have to clean so much less if not for that, but dammit, it's worth it.

I can't do much of the heavy cleaning so my husband handles that. I'd love to hire a service once every month or two but I feel weird about it.

But yeah, aside from the minor daily stuff, it's pretty much a weekend thing here.

George'd be terrified of it (although one of my favorite videos is "cat on a roomba")

Do those things work on...carpet?
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    edited March 2015
    Women may rail on men for whiskers in the sink but at least we don't leave a pile of hair in the shower, both from the tops of your heads and of the leg hair being shaved off. My wife is always pointing to the sink at me and I just point back to the bathtub/shower. Plus our whiskers don't require having to dump a bottle of draino down the sink like head hair does to a shower.

Buy a Dyson vacuum. I use it both for the carpets and the hard floors/tile areas. It has a switch on the front to turn off the brushes and works like a champ. I loan it to people everyone in a while and always tell them to vacuum with their regular one and then use the Dyson. They give it back always adding they went our and bought one. You will be disgusted when you see what your regular vacuum is missing.

And last but not least, I think Rob needs a Degenerate Card check. Posts about cleaning? Really! What has the forum come to. Whats next, him giving knitting tips. You might as well admit to yourself elitist status is on its way to you my friend.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    hedonist said:

rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

imalive said:

George'd be terrified of it (although one of my favorite videos is "cat on a roomba")

Do those things work on...carpet?
    Like a champ Hedo.The thing goes for like 3-4 hrs.i sware it has a mind of its own.It somehow closes doors and it got in our Master Bath shower and was having a love affair with a bottle of shampoo,funny as shit I shoulda taken a picture.Rumba was just working away and the shampoo was all foamed and bubbled all over the shower.
    I'm amused by the simple things I guess.But yeah they are well worth the $$.It charges and docks itself and its very durable.
    cdysinge said:

Women may rail on men for whiskers in the sink but at least we don't leave a pile of hair in the shower, both from the tops of your heads and of the leg hair being shaved off. My wife is always pointing to the sink at me and I just point back to the bathtub/shower. Plus our whiskers don't require having to dump a bottle of draino down the sink like head hair does to a shower.

Buy a Dyson vacuum. I use it both for the carpets and the hard floors/tile areas. It has a switch on the front to turn off the brushes and works like a champ. I loan it to people everyone in a while and always tell them to vacuum with their regular one and then use the Dyson. They give it back always adding they went our and bought one. You will be disgusted when you see what your regular vacuum is missing.

And last but not least, I think Rob needs a Degenerate Card check. Posts about cleaning? Really! What has the forum come to. Whats next, him giving knitting tips. You might as well admit to yourself elitist status is on its way to you my friend.

To the bolded part - oh yes it does! But my thick hair does a number on the shower, so I have no room to bitch.

And our Dyson vacuum is one of the best things we ever bought. The roomba seems more convenient and easier on my back (duh!) but now that rr mentioned the possibility of doors closing - couldn't have it going while we're not home - I'd be fearing one or both of our cats being shut out or in.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Can it get over the step thing in the doorway? I think it's called a saddle.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    RKCNDY said:

chadwick said:

RKCNDY said:

the rim of the bowl is disgusting, shaved off whiskers, all over the sink and in all the nooks and crannies of the faucet, I have never had my sink clog so much...what to they stuff down there?

Oh, and I don't have a counter in the bathroom, the sink is mounted to the wall.
    Oh the whiskers are a nightmare! It's everywhere...my daughter's hair clogs our sink because she insists on combing/brushing over the sink, it's so annoying...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
    edited March 2015
    ldent42 said:

Can it get over the step thing in the doorway? I think it's called a saddle.

Yes it can go over thresholds if the are not to steep.But it can't climb steps.
    hedonist said:

cdysinge said:

To the bolded part - oh yes it does! But my thick hair does a number on the shower, so I have no room to bitch.

And our Dyson vacuum is one of the best things we ever bought. The roomba seems more convenient and easier on my back (duh!) but now that rr mentioned the possibility of doors closing - couldn't have it going while we're not home - I'd be fearing one or both of our cats being shut out or in.
    U can program it to run at the times you want.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Well, we got a brand spanking new house. Instead of gunky old linoleum in the bathroom and kitchen we got sexy tile and pergo floor. I love cleaning the new house. The new sink makes doing the dishes fun and I am like Rkcndy, I clean up while I cook. I have not cleaned the windows yet, but I am actually looking forward to it cause I know it will make a difference. We finally got a vacuum that I feel good handling. I hate the typical American standup vacuums - how do people comfortably handle these?! The new one is a tiny little thing that i can carry or pull behind me, looks like a bug. It has a nice thing with a mop for pergo or hard floors and works perfectly. We only got one cat, and yes, she sheds, but not too much. So far I am loving it to clean the house. I might change my mind in the summer when we leave the windows open cause we live on a dirt road. We'll see...
    cdysinge said:

we have two dysons....one for the basement, one for the main level...I think they're over-rated.

and, I see your point but I think I can just be classified as a clean degenerate.....but still a degenerate, nonetheless.....at least I hope I can.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    RKCNDY said:

chadwick said:

RKCNDY said:

not looking to turn this into a "war of the sexes" thread, but I have never had to take apart the trap on MY sink. Just sayin'.....

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited March 2015
    rr165892 said:

Enkidu said:

everyone in LA has a cleaning lady....except maybe norm....pretty sure he does not.

edit: fuck, I just remembered you're in Florida.....why do I keep thinking LA?....east coast elitist.
    Post edited by Wobbie on

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14