Options

Indiana Religious Liberties law....

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I was wrong, he was speaking on behalf of Apple.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/pro-discrimination-religious-freedom-laws-are-dangerous-to-america/2015/03/29/bdb4ce9e-d66d-11e4-ba28-f2a685dc7f89_story.html

"At Apple, we are in business to empower and enrich our customers’ lives. We strive to do business in a way that is just and fair. That’s why, on behalf of Apple, I’m standing up to oppose this new wave of legislation — wherever it emerges. I’m writing in the hopes that many more will join this movement. From North Carolina to Nevada, these bills under consideration truly will hurt jobs, growth and the economic vibrancy of parts of the country where a 21st-century economy was once welcomed with open arms."
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2015
    A quick side question.
    Can someone give the Brass Tacks on how this bill will/will not ripple across the USA?

If a politician here proposes a venomous bill it gets called out and has sharp, fast acting effects on that politician.

This venomous politician may not sway our Country as to how we vote but it keeps us vigilant as to what is out there.

Just trying to get a grasp of how the US politics scene works (I use that term loosely).

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    i love this issue. all of the republicans in indiana are turning their palms up and shrugging their shoulders in amazement that there is any sort of backlash. i imagine it is similar to Dr, Evil thawing out and realizing that a million bucks is not a ton of money anymore.

there was plenty of notice that this bill was intended to discriminate, and it passed and was signed anyway.

the way i see it, you pass your stupid religious agenda, you suffer the consequences economically and politically.

make every one of these clowns double down on this law. jeb did it. rubio did it. cruz did it. and bring it up come election time.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,551

i love this issue. all of the republicans in indiana are turning their palms up and shrugging their shoulders in amazement that there is any sort of backlash. i imagine it is similar to Dr, Evil thawing out and realizing that a million bucks is not a ton of money anymore.

there was plenty of notice that this bill was intended to discriminate, and it passed and was signed anyway.

the way i see it, you pass your stupid religious agenda, you suffer the consequences economically and politically.

make every one of these clowns double down on this law. jeb did it. rubio did it. cruz did it. and bring it up come election time.

Not every republican in Indiana is a fan of this law. Every Republican I have talked to isn't for it and thought it was stupid. It is the fringes that are for it.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179

Not every republican in Indiana is a fan of this law. Every Republican I have talked to isn't for it and thought it was stupid. It is the fringes that are for it.
    so is the fringe the majority now? otherwise how did it pass??

seems your friends are now the fringe of the republican party in indiana.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

So you can have secular Republicans with fringe benefits?
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Jason P said:

I was all for the NFL telling Arizona that it would pull the Super bowl from their state if they passed that bill. If private business can legally discriminate against people, why can't businesses stop doing business in these bigot states?

Indiana gave its electoral votes to a democrat (Obama) for the first time in forever, so let's not get over dramatic on calling it a bigot state. This bill passed under the radar. They passed it closed door without inviting media or public. And local media and business is calling for repeal. For someone who hails from South Carolina, I would expect you have had to deal with past stereotypes.

When Richard Murdoch was running for senate a few years ago, he was a Republican lock to win. And then he made a dumb comment about rape and abortion and he got his ass kicked by a democrat who previously had little chance to win.

So please cool thy jets when judging.
    I hail from Indiana and moved to south carolina. I'm proud of neither when it comes to bigotry and racism. Just because they finally gave their electoral college votes to Obama doesn't mean the state is full of bigots.
  • Options
    Up here:
    Winnipeg has extreme racism towards aboriginals.
    Nova Scotia has racism towards blacks.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,551
    edited April 2015

I would be interested in a statewide poll of republicans and their views of this law. There is a much wider variety of opinions in the Republican party than Democratic Party so they all don't think the same.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989

I would be interested in a statewide poll of republicans and their views of this law. There is a much wider variety of opinions in the Republican party than Democratic Party so they all don't think the same.
    A lot of republicans are pissed off. This is definitely a Tea Party issue.

I believe all of the mayors in Hamilton County (suburbs north of Indpls) AND the mayor of Indianapolis have come out against this issue. Hamilton County is rabidly republican....not so much in favor of the Tea Party though.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Now Arkansas. Great. This country is going backwards. I'd never thought I'd say this, but hopefully Walmart can throw it's weight around and get it vetoed.
  • Options
    Pence is scared about these boycotts. He wants to fix this law. Unless it gets repealed, how could there be a fix?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Pence is scared about these boycotts. He wants to fix this law. Unless it gets repealed, how could there be a fix?

A few minor tweaks would bring it into the same territory as the other RFRA laws. Remove the protection for business and apply it only to suits which involve the government.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,938
    Gay marriage isn't an abomination. Irish people making pizza is. Clean it up, Indiana.

FIX. THIS. NOW.

http://www.abc57.com/story/28681598/rfra-first-business-to-publicly-deny-same-sex-service

WALKERTON, Ind. - A small-town pizza shop is saying they agree with Governor Pence and the signing of the controversial Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

The O'Connor family, who owns Memories Pizza, says they have a right to believe in their religion and protect those ideals.

“If a gay couple came in and wanted us to provide pizzas for their wedding, we would have to say no,” says Crystal O'Connor of Memories Pizza.

She and her family are standing firm in their beliefs.

The O'Connor's have owned Memories Pizza in Walkerton for 9 years.

It's a small-town business, with small-town ideals.

“We are a Christian establishment,” says O'Connor.

The O'Connor family prides themselves in owning a business that reflects their religious beliefs.

“We're not discriminating against anyone, that's just our belief and anyone has the right to believe in anything,” says O'Connor.

So, when Governor Pence signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act into law, the family was not disappointed.

“We definitely agree with the bill,” says O'Connor.

When ABC 57 asked O'Connor about the negative backlash the bill has been getting for being a discriminatory piece of legislation, she says that's simply not true.

“I do not think it's targeting gays. I don't think it's discrimination,” says O'Connor. “It's supposed to help people that have a religious belief.”

O'Connor says because she's a Christian, she and her family don't support a gay marriage and that is their right.

Kevin O'Connor, Crystal's father, says he believes the negative backlash the bill and its supporters are getting isn't fair.

“That lifestyle is something they choose. I choose to be heterosexual. They choose to be homosexual. Why should I be beat over the head to go along with something they choose?” says Kevin O'Connor.

The O'Connor family told ABC 57 news that if a gay couple or a couple belonging to another religion came in to the restaurant to eat, they would never deny them service.

The O'Connor's say they just don't agree with gay marriages and wouldn't cater them if asked to.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    “That lifestyle is something they choose. I choose to be heterosexual. They choose to be homosexual. Why should I be beat over the head to go along with something they choose?” says Kevin O'Connor.
    Jesus.

I actually get parts of their stance, but their willingness to serve "different" patrons at their restaurant yet refusing to cater? Makes no sense.
  • Options
    Good for Asa Hutchinson. He didn't have the balls to veto this bill. But he did say he wouldn't sign the bill in its current form.
  • Options
    Gov. Hutchinson said that "in ordinary times, this bill would not be controversial." These are ordinary times. More than half of the US doesn't give a fuck about what gay people do. This is ordinary. According to CNN, 61% of Republicans ages 18-25 doesn't give a fuck what gay people do. This is ordinary.

• Options
    I don't get this part: “We're not discriminating against anyone, that's just our belief and anyone has the right to believe in anything,” says O'Connor.

Man there are stupid people out there. I mean it's one thing to fall hook, line, and sinker for things like: your soul's gonna get transported to a spaceship trailing the Hale-Bopp comet as soon as you kill yourself; God; or even Santa (she's right... anyone does have the right to believe in anything)... but do you have to take it to the next level? Sheesh.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/31/stephen-king-indiana-anti-gay_n_6977248.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

Stephen King Explains what Indiana's Anti-LGBT Law Has in Common with a Dog Turd
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/31/stephen-king-indiana-anti-gay_n_6977248.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

Stephen King Explains what Indiana's Anti-LGBT Law Has in Common with a Dog Turd

His last book has a lot in common with dog turd
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I'm not justifying anything, but doesn't Tim Cook run a company that manufactures their product in factories that need bars on windows and suicide nets to prevent overworked and underpaid employees from leaping to their deaths?

You shouldn't throw stones in a glass house ...
  • Options
    One of the things I've noticed is that Pence seems to be actually shocked that this created as much outrage as it did. Like, he really had no idea this was coming. Even though the AZ Bill and veto should have given him a good idea of what to expect.

I talked with a few guys I know that are lawyers and involved in Indiana politics and they stated that Pence surrounds himself with Yes Men. This dumbass who had hopes of staying under the rader for a presidential run signed this bill a week before the Final Four was being played in his own city.

Talk about living in a bubble.
  • Options

Jason P said:

I was all for the NFL telling Arizona that it would pull the Super bowl from their state if they passed that bill. If private business can legally discriminate against people, why can't businesses stop doing business in these bigot states?

Indiana gave its electoral votes to a democrat (Obama) for the first time in forever, so let's not get over dramatic on calling it a bigot state. This bill passed under the radar. They passed it closed door without inviting media or public. And local media and business is calling for repeal. For someone who hails from South Carolina, I would expect you have had to deal with past stereotypes.

When Richard Murdoch was running for senate a few years ago, he was a Republican lock to win. And then he made a dumb comment about rape and abortion and he got his ass kicked by a democrat who previously had little chance to win.

So please cool thy jets when judging.
    I hail from Indiana and moved to south carolina. I'm proud of neither when it comes to bigotry and racism. Just because they finally gave their electoral college votes to Obama doesn't mean the state is full of bigots.
    According to this board, all of America is full of bigots and 75% of them are cops.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

I can't take this anymore.Its time for action,not talk.
    So I am officially boycotting the watching of the movie Hoosiers.Until further notice.
    Bam!!! How's that shit feel Indiana.

Five players on the floor functioning as one single unit: team, team, team - no one more important that the other. - Coach Norman Dale

Look, mister, there's... two kinds of dumb, uh... guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and, uh, guy who does the same thing in my living room. First one don't matter, the second one you're kinda forced to deal with. - George

Identify!!! - Wilbur "Shooter" Flatch
  • Options
    Hoosiers is such a good movie.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    No matter how the GOP try to spin this it still reaks of bigotry its fucking 2015 & they are living in 1956 and soon as they get a republican president we will be in a war against Iran ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

No matter how the GOP try to spin this it still reaks of bigotry its fucking 2015 & they are living in 1956 and soon as they get a republican president we will be in a war against Iran ......

That is just silly.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/01/everybody-s-lost-their-goddamn-mind-over-religious-freedom.html
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    BS44325 said:

That is just silly.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/01/everybody-s-lost-their-goddamn-mind-over-religious-freedom.html
    Just like a republican spin spin spin it must feel good to be one ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....