Options

The Global Citizen Festival 2015

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    edited July 2015

There are some where the music is not enough. They believe they have a personal relationship with the band. That 40th pick they get will change their life.

Wait a damn minute!!!

I have approximately 63 different Mike picks.
    my life hasnt changed one damn bit.
    Do I have too many or not enough?
    What am I doing wrong??

:bawling:
    It has changed. You are just too stubborn to see it.
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626

Lolla..05? 06? 07?
    Whatever year it was.
    70,000 or so people at Grant Park
    Hotter than all hell..
    Greatest hits show?...I guess

One of the best times I have had at a rock concert.

2007. I would have to agree. The fact that we survived the heat, Lupe Fiasco, the crowd surfers and got as close as we did in that enormous crowd made for a truly monumental day.

Festival shows can be, should be, a great experience if you allow them to be and go into 'festival mode' and have the right attitude. 100,000 people losing their minds listening to Pearl Jam? Monumental indeed.

Nice shirt.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

Sprunkn7 said:

I went to Global a few years ago when Neil played and while the music was good, you can't pay me enough to go back. There were about a quarter of the stands/bathrooms that they needed and such a trainwreck getting in and out. And I'm pretty sure nobody played over an hour so I don't know why they would give PJ a full set.

This

If you're prepared it really isn't soooo bad (i mean it is a pita, can't deny that) Eat a big meal before you go in b/c the lines for food are horrid. They said there would be free water trucks but I have never seen one. The porto lines are not bad at all and merch never has a line.
    I think PJ will play about and hour and a half (guess) but no I would def not travel to go to this "PJ" show. If you look at the closing headliner bands they do give them a nice slot. If PJ doesn't close it out, they will get an hour.

Getting in can take an hour, getting out is what you would expect of 100,000 people leaving a park at the same time. It aint fun but there it is. We leave with the masses not b/c we're in a hurry, but we need food! Pizza is the first thing on the agenda after being penned up in a cage all day.

Can't wait! I'm hoping to take my daughter to her first pj concert! She'll be almost 16 by then and could give any of you a run for your money in a guess the pj lyrics contest. She's so psyched!
    Seeing Jens daughter at her first pj show would be worth it
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348

Lolla..05? 06? 07?
    Whatever year it was.
    70,000 or so people at Grant Park
    Hotter than all hell..
    Greatest hits show?...I guess

One of the best times I have had at a rock concert.

Festival shows can be, should be, a great experience if you allow them to be and go into 'festival mode' and have the right attitude. 100,000 people losing their minds listening to Pearl Jam? Monumental indeed.

This in theory and it's nice that it's a free show and all BUT of those 100k people MANY of them will just be there because it's free and it's something to do. So if 75k people aren't losing their minds and talking a lot it can make it not so monumental for a die hard pj fan. It's not always about being close enough to see eds nuts, if you're gonna go thru the hassles of not eating and not drinking water and taking an hour to get in and out, I can understand wanting to be close enough where the atmosphere is a little more focused on the music.

'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,785
    badbrains said:

Sprunkn7 said:

I went to Global a few years ago when Neil played and while the music was good, you can't pay me enough to go back. There were about a quarter of the stands/bathrooms that they needed and such a trainwreck getting in and out. And I'm pretty sure nobody played over an hour so I don't know why they would give PJ a full set.

This

If you're prepared it really isn't soooo bad (i mean it is a pita, can't deny that) Eat a big meal before you go in b/c the lines for food are horrid. They said there would be free water trucks but I have never seen one. The porto lines are not bad at all and merch never has a line.
    I think PJ will play about and hour and a half (guess) but no I would def not travel to go to this "PJ" show. If you look at the closing headliner bands they do give them a nice slot. If PJ doesn't close it out, they will get an hour.

Getting in can take an hour, getting out is what you would expect of 100,000 people leaving a park at the same time. It aint fun but there it is. We leave with the masses not b/c we're in a hurry, but we need food! Pizza is the first thing on the agenda after being penned up in a cage all day.

Can't wait! I'm hoping to take my daughter to her first pj concert! She'll be almost 16 by then and could give any of you a run for your money in a guess the pj lyrics contest. She's so psyched!
    Seeing Jens daughter at her first pj show would be worth it
    :smiley:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    ha, yea festival mode and it's all good :-)
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Pass.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,091
    How can international visitors like me even get a ticket if you have to jump through social media hoops and stuff to get one?

You can't just buy a ticket???
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277

How can international visitors like me even get a ticket if you have to jump through social media hoops and stuff to get one?

you can buy a vip ticket.
    also there will be a page on facebook (or equivalent) for people ISO tickets or giving away tickets. Every year my group has extra tickets and we give them away. I'm hoping this year will be the same.

Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

you can buy a vip ticket.
    also there will be a page on facebook (or equivalent) for people ISO tickets or giving away tickets. Every year my group has extra tickets and we give them away. I'm hoping this year will be the same.

Ah, ok. Thanks. Hmm.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516

MIA was f'ing phenomenal. I didn't have an awesome view of the stage, but it didn't matter. Great PJ set, great festival, great weekend.
  • Options
    vercemanverceman Posts: 680
    Made In America was awesome. Saw great sets from Gary Clark Jr and The Hives, and Pearl Jam was amazing. Maybe the best version of Black I have heard.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    ACL was great too. Just kick back with friends and enjoy the music and your surroundings.
    PJ live in central park? Yes please!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,641
    Whats wrong with greatest hit shows? Ten and VS are obviously two of the best albums of the 90s. If they want to play most of TEN thats fine with me.

the rarity shows look better on paper but a lot of times are sloppy and have no flow.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913

Whats wrong with greatest hit shows? Ten and VS are obviously two of the best albums of the 90s. If they want to play most of TEN thats fine with me.

the rarity shows look better on paper but a lot of times are sloppy and have no flow.

No flow and you tend to lose the majority of the audience.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    edited July 2015
    Sprunkn7 said:

Yes, security is pretty tight as they did not let us in with a CINCH SACK, it was considered a backpack (NOT) but they let people in with shopping bags and pocketbooks the size of a refrigerator. It's pretty easy to get nips in but the mixers inside are nill so there is that. We bring powdered drink mixes ( the idv. wrapped ones) and mix them with water (which can take up to an hour to buy) and viola a nice little drinkie. Leaving the field I have seen 5th bottles all over and people just smoke weed openly so when theres a will there is a way.

It's a great festival overall and I have seen so many bands I would never go buy a ticket for They have all put on a great show. Even if it's 20 minutes its FREE and I think it's pretty fuckin amazing it's available to us. I love it and will go every year as long as I am able and can get a ticket!

In lots of agreement with this! Forgot how crazy security was. My cousin had to go back to his buddy's apartment to drop off a backpack he wasn't able to bring in. Just carefully read the rules/restrictions if you plan on going.

I'm still thinking this announcement is gonna be Global Fest, and if it happens to be an MSG show as well, or anything else nearby, it will just be gravy! We'll have to see! Seeing PJ is always a great excuse to come home.

Agreed on how fun Global Fest is, too! I went to the inaugural one in 2012, and the one the following year in 2013, and had a blast at both. I went with a big group of friends to each, and everybody had a terrific time seeing all sorts of awesome bands for some great causes. We actually had similar spots both years, in the first public section behind the VIP area. It was far away, but fairly close considering we were probably in the front 1/3 of the field. The big screens made sight fine, and I had no major issues with sound. You have to know what you're coming for (short sets, lots of talking/videos in between, long food and bathroom lines, tons of people), but I have always had a wonderful time at the shows, and I am not a festival person whatsoever (I can only handle just about a day haha).
    Post edited by samjam on
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612

There is certainly a good mix that is optimal IMO.

I dont think I would dig the brevity/predictability of the festival when taking the effort of attending into account.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    samjam said:

long bathroom food

mmmm bathroom food
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

samjam said:

long bathroom food

mmmm bathroom food
    :lol: Not too appetizing, huh? Thanks for the heads up, that's what happens when you get up in the middle of writing a post and come back to finish it later without proofing :)
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    Anyone got info on the VIP offers?

What are they, and what do they cost?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    My point total has crawled up to ten. If that ain't enough I'm probably not getting tickets.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    This was the 2012 rough schedule per an email from them if youre curious for the layout of the festival:

We've recently received a lot of requests for the set times for the artists donating their time at the Global Citizen Festival this Saturday. We hear you.
    At 5 PM the show will begin with an amazing performance from Somali-Canadian hip hop star K'Naan, followed by rockers Band of Horses. After them, The Black Keys will take the stage at around 6 PM. At just before 7, Foo Fighters will use their music to call for action against extreme poverty, and after 8 PM Neil Young with Crazy Horse will do what they do best: raise awareness and help fight injustice with their timeless, classic-studded set.

Celebrity hosts and world leaders will be there throughout the day. The world's leading charities will celebrate new commitments to combating extreme poverty. Trust us, you don't want to miss a single moment. Gates are at 2 PM, surprises start at 5. We expect a line to start building over night, and If you arrive early you'll get closest to the stage. We'll see you in the park!

5pm - KNanaan

5:30 - Band of Horses

6pm - Black Keys

7pm - Foo Fighters

8pm - Neil Young

9pm- Close
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,939
    For those who want to see Pearl Jam September 26th @ the Global Citizen Festival, keep F5'ing over @ https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/artists/pearl-jam/
  • Options
    Why would you need to f5? Isn't it a lottery?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,939
    mcgruff10 said:

Yes, but you also have a chance to buy the tickets.

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/about/frequently-asked-questions/

What is the difference between "Buy Now" and "Prize Draw" tickets?

At the discretion of artists and the Global Citizen team, Global Citizen Tickets ticket pairs are available to users by either a prize draw or a ‘buy now’ function.

Buy Now: Select ticket pairs will be available through GlobalCitizen.org at a set rate. For these ticket pairs, the first user to ‘purchase’ a given set will be the winner of that item. Generally, the prices for “Buy Now” tickets are far higher than the fee for entering a prize draw. Prices are set using an economic model that powers Global Citizen’s point economy. Note that ‘Buy Now’ denotes ‘buying’ only through the use of points earned on GlobalCitizen.org.

Prize Draw: The majority of ticket winners will be selected through a prize draw. A random drawing among those Global Citizens who have entered prize draw will take place approximately one month before the date of the event (sometimes sooner if we get last minute access to ticekts), 2 - 4 days from the closing date on the ticket draw.
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    demetrios said:

mcgruff10 said:

At the discretion of artists and the Global Citizen team, Global Citizen Tickets ticket pairs are available to users by either a prize draw or a ‘buy now’ function.

Buy Now: Select ticket pairs will be available through GlobalCitizen.org at a set rate. For these ticket pairs, the first user to ‘purchase’ a given set will be the winner of that item. Generally, the prices for “Buy Now” tickets are far higher than the fee for entering a prize draw. Prices are set using an economic model that powers Global Citizen’s point economy. Note that ‘Buy Now’ denotes ‘buying’ only through the use of points earned on GlobalCitizen.org.

Prize Draw: The majority of ticket winners will be selected through a prize draw. A random drawing among those Global Citizens who have entered prize draw will take place approximately one month before the date of the event (sometimes sooner if we get last minute access to ticekts), 2 - 4 days from the closing date on the ticket draw.
    Any guess on the number of "buy" points that you'll need?
  • Options
    demetrios said:

mcgruff10 said:

So you buy with points (which would be higher than the lottery) or money?
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,641
    Judging by some of the other artist that currently have shows listed you need about 30 points to enter a ticket drawing.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about the 'Buy Now' thing (unless you happen to be at the right place at the right time!), most everyone who enters the regular lotteries for festival tickets gets it, as there are so many tickets that are given away. Also always lots of extras floating around. Last year it was 8 points to enter the drawing, and you could enter up to 6 times. They do draws on multiple dates and it carries over if you don't win.

So maybe if you're the lucky lucky one who gets 'Buy Now' it would be like 20 points?
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    why would i buy something that will be free and easily attainable?