• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    RKCNDY said:

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

Why is it ice cream but iced coffee.

I demand explanation.

I am still waiting.
    Because ice coffee sounds stupid.
    well they say "shave ice" in Hawaii... Iced Cream sounds fine...
    I think it actually was iced cream back in the day. I imagine it was kids who were the main cause of the "d" being dropped over time.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    hedonist said:

The chick with whom I previously shared my office (she's no longer an employee) called a drawer a droor...and then spelled it "door". And then became dismissive when I asked that she spell the word correctly.

My new office-mate is nice enough, low-key (thank god - cannot work around a chatterbox) but she eats her lunch at her desk and the sound of her chewing drives me fucking NUTS.

And, I feel bad that it drives me fucking NUTS because 1) she can't help it, and 2) I'm sure I do the same.

It's weird sharing close and potentially long-term space with someone you don't really know or haven't chosen to.

*edit - I think I combined this with the irritating office behavior thread!

The first office chick was/is an idiot.

I agree with you on the sound of people chewing their food. :anguished: Can you put headphones on while she has lunch?
    ELITIST FUK
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Wish I could, but just can't work / focus with headphones or music!

• ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

I demand explanation.

I am still waiting.
    your face sounds stupid!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

I demand explanation.

I am still waiting.
    your face sounds stupid!
    You asked.....twice.
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    I'm sure it's been covered....but the whole there, their, and they're....my MOTHER....a RECENT COLLEGE GRAD...uses them wrong, and I want to reach through the computer and strangle her when she does....I'm LIKE NO!!!! It drives me crazy....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,126
    ldent42 said:

I demand explanation.

I always reasoned that "iced" meant consisting of ice (iced coffee, iced tea, iced water) and that "ice" meant something made by the freezing process (ice cream, ice cube, ice wine).
    PJ_Soul said:

RKCNDY said:

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

I demand explanation.

I am still waiting.
    well they say "shave ice" in Hawaii... Iced Cream sounds fine...
    I think it actually was iced cream back in the day. I imagine it was kids who were the main cause of the "d" being dropped over time.
    However, upon looking it up, it seems you are correct, PJ_Soul. Seems the "ed" ending dropped off sometime in the mid-1700s. Couldn't determine why it was dropped though. Dropping the "ed" ending seems to be very common with food items (skim milk vs skimmed milk, whip cream vs whipped cream, popcorn vs popped corn, etc.).
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,126
    PJSiren said:

I'm sure it's been covered....but the whole there, their, and they're....my MOTHER....a RECENT COLLEGE GRAD...uses them wrong, and I want to reach through the computer and strangle her when she does....I'm LIKE NO!!!! It drives me crazy....

There just doing it to get under your skin. :wink:
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2015
    I am Canadian and have no disrespect but it drives my crazy when our Newfoundlanders say "tree" instead of "three"
    This word has two meanings to everyone else in Canada.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    There's a sign a few blocks from my house that always bothers me. It says "aggressive rates!" on a sign offering some office space for lease. They probably mean "competitive rates" but they chose the wrong word. (!)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam said:

There's a sign a few blocks from my house that always bothers me. It says "aggressive rates!" on a sign offering some office space for lease. They probably mean "competitive rates" but they chose the wrong word. (!)

Be careful--the rates might come after you.
    ELITIST FUK
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    SD48277 said:

justam said:

Yikes!
    (I always imagine some business man shaking his fist and growling like a pirate. ARGH)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,901
    justam said:

SD48277 said:

justam said:

Yikes!
    (I always imagine some business man shaking his fist and growling like a pirate. ARGH)

a clean joke:

what's a pirate's favorite fast food?

Aaaaaaaaarby's

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    "grey blue heron"...no, it's "GREAT blue heron"
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888

I am Canadian and have no disrespect but it drives my crazy when our Newfoundlanders say "tree" instead of "three"
    This word has two meanings to everyone else in Canada.

I get it, but I love when they say that. The Newfie accent is insanely endearing to me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    I've heard several people say "ick least" instead of "at least" in my lifetime. I have no idea where that even comes from.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,901
    foo foo instead of frou frou :angry:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

You mean there is no Little Bunny Foo Foo?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

Don't listen to him, RK--he's just being a grumpy old man.
    ELITIST FUK
  • RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

You know Little Bunny Foo Foo was a serial killer right?
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.

RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

Of course, bopping field mice on the head and leaving a trail of dead corpses is what all kids like to sing about. Just like Ring around the Rosie is about bubonic plague.

Raising the next round of degenerate youth!

- Christopher McCandless
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    edited September 2015
    RKCNDY said:

RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

Of course, bopping field mice on the head and leaving a trail of dead corpses is what all kids like to sing about. Just like Ring around the Rosie is about bubonic plague.

That's actually just urban legend. Most scholars believe it to be referencing an old game played by pagan children. :wink:
  • Besides, who cares about a bunch of stinkin' field mice. :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."

RKCNDY said:

RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

That's actually just urban legend. Most scholars believe it to be referencing an old game played by pagan children. :wink:
    Really? My history teacher was saying something about posies being the death flower, and ashes were because they burned the bodies to try and stop the spread of the plague.

History teachers are liars!

- Christopher McCandless