Options

Charlie Hebdo Paris shooting: 12 dead after gunmen storm newspaper's HQ

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Can anyone think of a terrorist organization which doesn't connect themselves to a religion?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    rgambs wrote: »
    Can anyone think of a terrorist organization which doesn't connect themselves to a religion?

No, rgambs, I can't but I can think of three that have been variously accused of being terrorist- namely, Earth First!, Greenpeace and Sea Shepherds. But those who make those accusation do not know the difference between "sabotage" and "terrorism".

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Aafke wrote: »
    I believe this one nails it...

10676233_10205899411948330_4387217891567122636_n.jpg?oh=f89336db98af9156fc2facea1d82c6f1&oe=552FDCB4

Keep
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Blame can't be laid solely on one side. It is the West's fault for imperialism, and western citizens for our excessive consumerism and failure to hault government/corporate corruption which fuels the imperialism. It is also the Middle East/Middle Easterner's faults for their religious extremism and failure to hault government/church corruption.

Neither side has a valid reason to kill or die.

(Of course, lumping it all down into two sides is a major oversimplification, but y'all get what I'm gettin at)

Although way simplified I agree with ya here Gambs.

Fuck, that was well written.I see where your coming from,but the thing I still can't accept is this justification of violence based on a long history of injustices.I know you are not condoning the actions.But everyone,everywhere of all colors,religions,etc can claim the same.
    You don't give the Israelis a pass,because of the violence inflicted on the Jews since the beginning of time.We can't start cherry picking and making excuses.
    Over simplified example,If a kid in school is bullied from kindergarten until high school and then one day goes out and shoots The bully ,it's not justified although the reasons he did it may understandable.
    We must adapt to those injustices of the past in order to move forward into future.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    callen wrote: »
    Morning Gf.

We sure as heck didn't take up the Native American ways.

The Callen.

hahhahahha no sir we did not.. but then again we don't live in tee pee's and are no longer a hunter gather type of people..not that that would be a bad thing tho.

Godfather.

• Options
    AafkeAafke Posts: 1,219
    edited January 2015
    Godfather. wrote: »
    callen wrote: »
    Morning Gf.

We sure as heck didn't take up the Native American ways.

The Callen.

hahhahahha no sir we did not.. but then again we don't live in tee pee's and are no longer a hunter gather type of people..not that that would be a bad thing tho.

Godfather.

Why do you think society would have remained a hunter gather type? Societies evolve or do you think the European cultures are the same ones as most of your ancestors left them? It's evolution, baby...
    Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    "Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see."- Paul Klee
  • Options
    I think he's alluding to time relevancy and assimilation.

I don't think he was saying the First Nation's culture had no hope of transforming.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    I think he's alluding to time relevancy and assimilation.

I don't think he was saying the First Nation's culture had no hope of transforming.

thank you sir !

Godfather.

• Options
    That's a good article from someone who has a good vantage point on this issue.
    Thanks for posting that BadBrains!
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Good find BB.I can get get on board with a lot of what the Rabbi is saying,and see where he is coming from but I don't agree about the degree of hurt satirical humor can inflict.We as a society MUST be able to laugh at ourselves and laugh with others as they do the same.Its healthy and necessary everyday therapy.We come way to close to living in an uptight PC world now.Im sorry but humor is just that.Everyone needs to get over themselves already and realize we all have issues,we all are dysfunctional and that does not mean we have to care less.

The Events in Paris and the followed responses have felt different to me.Its the first time in a long time I really thought this could be profound.A watershed moment.History.
    Sure maybe many other acts of violence should have had this same support,but right time and place I guess.Seeing Muslims hold signs saying the were Jews and vice versa.The unity,the brotherhood.Very moving and Impactful.The world leaders(minus of course any high ranking US official.Classy Obama admin)Walking in solidarity.What a great first step.
  • Options

the black panthers

• Options
    edited January 2015

ETA, - Spain
    Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,871
    Founding Fathers.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Manifest destiny
  • Options
    Charlie Hebdo is not backing down! Good for them! I say the whole world should run non-offensive cartoons of the Prophet like this until the tightwad fools have no choice but to relax and practice some peaceful reflection.
  • Options
    Yep
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    edited January 2015

the black panthers

The same was said about AIM- the American Indian Movement. In both cases, nothing could be further from the truth. No doubt, there were a few on the fringes of these movements* who committed heinous crimes but, sorry GF, I believe that to characterize either of these groups as "terrorist organizations" is grossly inaccurate.

*I mean afterall, the same could be said about the Democratic or Republican party or the Boy Scouts of America or the Betty Crocker Bake Off Fan Club.

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Charlie Hebdo is not backing down! Good for them! I say the whole world should run non-offensive cartoons of the Prophet like this until the tightwad fools have no choice but to relax and practice some peaceful reflection.

what exactly is a non offensive depiction of the prophet muhammad when any depiction is known to cause offense?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

what exactly is a non offensive depiction of the prophet muhammad when any depiction is known to cause offense?

I know, like where does the white go when snow melts?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,871
    Minor details Cate.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
  • Options
    That's the whole point right there, just because they take offense doesn't mean that it is inherently offensive. They need to lighten the fuck up. Having a sense of being offended was never, and will never be, a justification for anything more than an attempt to return offense. People need to lighten the fuck up about their religions or they will always be trying to pull us back to the dark ages. Keep your whacky beliefs if you want, but divest yourself of the desire to kill and die for them and invest yourself in making the world a place of peace and love.
  • Options
    I find it ironic that creating an image of Muhammad is a big no no, but in it's various spellings it is one of the most common names in the world. Millions of Muhammads running around the world committing everyday sin, and worse, with the Prophet's name... And a cartoon image is offensive?? Religion... ~X(
  • Options
    brianlux wrote: »

the black panthers

The same was said about AIM- the American Indian Movement. In both cases, nothing could be further from the truth. No doubt, there were a few on the fringes of these movements* who committed heinous crimes but, sorry GF, I believe that to characterize either of these groups as "terrorist organizations" is grossly inaccurate.

*I mean afterall, the same could be said about the Democratic or Republican party or the Boy Scouts of America or the Betty Crocker Bake Off Fan Club.

welll I have to agree with you Brian but would any group that made a terrorist threat or action be called a terrorist orginasion ?

Godfather.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what."

― Stephen Fry
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    Dignin, love that quote.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."