Options

Mike McCready's Music For Film. Vinyl Films Records 10" Clear Box Set.

Comments

• Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    Duncs said:

I wonder how long til someone starts breaking up the set and selling off individual pieces.

^^^^ :lightbulb:
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    i suppose that horse has already sort of bolted
  • Options
    andyfarrimondandyfarrimond Posts: 1,962
    pdalowsky said:

i suppose that horse has already sort of bolted

It is interesting that those clear vinyl copies of Mike's Music For Film popped up but none of the other records from the box set seem to have appeared (on e-bay at least).
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,879
    https://seasickrecords.wordpress.com/

They have a listing over @ SEASICK RECORDS
    Independent record store located in Birmingham, AL
    (205) 677-3166
  • Options
    https://www.facebook.com/VinylFilmsRecords/posts/759146654206205

Vinyl Films Records

To all, regarding the Vinyl Films 10” box:

Back in 2003 we started a tiny vinyl-only record label called Vinyl Films Records. Out debut release was a 10” from Mark Kozelek, he of Red House Painters and soon-to-be Sun Kil Moon fame. He had recorded a song called “Duk Koo Kim” that blew our minds and we wanted to be the ones to birth it into the world, so the 10” series (and the label) was born.

As we emailed to prospective artists back in 2003:

"The idea behind the series is to create a limited edition release on vinyl. In this day and age of digital madness and file-swapping and mp3 downloads, we love the idea of creating a truly analog experience for the diehard fan. Each EP has about 8-10 minutes per side, and has material exclusive to the series. We want to create something that is available only as a limited edition piece of vinyl. With each release, we will press:

• 1000 copies on numbered, black vinyl for distribution in the U.S.
    • 1000 copies on colored vinyl for distribution in Europe
    • 500 copies on clear vinyl that will be held back for inclusion in a boxed set at the end of the run of the 10” series"

At the time vinyl wasn’t quite as popular as it is now — we were actually nervous about pressing up 2500 copies of a 10”. Luckily the artists we chose to work with had fan bases that loved vinyl like us, and we sold out of each release as they came out — not right away, but eventually. We felt a little more comfortable that we wouldn’t lose our shirts on the series, and the future box. We were more than a little nervous about selling the same record with a different color to the same fan base, not being sure that there were enough vinyl freaks like us out there who love collectible stuff.

After the Kozelek 10” we released Low’s Murderer, their first recording as a two-piece (Alan and Mimi), and the label and the box was off and running. Three years later came Mono’s Memorie dal Futuro (we were busy making Elizabethtown between the two releases), and then… nothing. We released a semi-steady stream of records that we were and are very proud of, including the first official release of the 'Harold and Maude' soundtrack, Eddie Vedder’s brilliant soundtrack to the Sean Penn film 'Into the Wild,' and a slew of Mark Kozelek-related albums, among others. The 10” series had stalled, simply because we had other priorities at the time.

In 2012 we began work on jump-starting the 10” series again, with music from the great Matthew Cooper (as eluvium), another Kozelek 10" (this time under the guise of Sun Kil Moon for Third and Seneca), and then Mike McCready was kind enough to allow us to collect his score work from 'Pearl Jam Twenty' and 'We Bought A Zoo' for the Music for Film EP. Each was released with a colored vinyl version, a black vinyl version, and the obligatory 500 copies on clear vinyl for the future boxed set. And finally, the future was now. We felt we had enough releases in the series to warrant the box.

A slipcase was designed and manufactured, a poster was printed for inclusion in the box, and we hand-numbered and assembled 492 boxes. Why only 492? Sadly we lost a box of the Mike McCready clear vinyl on its way from our pressing plant, a box that somehow mysteriously found its way to eBay from a reseller (some of you may be familiar with that eBay posting — heck, some of you may have purchased one from them). And then, as we were un-shrink-wrapping the 10”s to put the in the slipcases, we discovered that a box of Mark Kozelek’s Duk Koo Kim that was supposed to have 55 clear vinyl records actually had 7 clear and 48 blue vinyl. Ugh. 492 becomes 444.

With all of our releases, we keep a small stack for our archive, and a bigger stack to give to friends, family, people who worked on releases, etc… We usually have 300 of each record for this purpose (what can I say, we’re blessed to have lots of friends). Obviously we couldn’t do this with the box, so we made the decision to release 350 boxes to independent retail stores only. The remaining 94 went to the bands, our archive and to friends and family.

The plan was to release the box a week before Record Store Day, to avoid getting lost in the shuffle, and as a small act of defiance against what RSD has become. We weren’t wild about the idea of the box being one of over 500 releases on one day. Craziness. And then the inevitable happened, as it does with just about every vinyl project — we hit a snag. Actually on the box we had quite a few, but this one was so close to delivery. This one was in the form of misplaced stickers (don’t ask). So our week-before-RSD release became early May. Which caused tons of confusion and some anger as well with record stores and fans alike. And for that I am truly sorry.

From our humble beginnings in 2003 to now, vinyl has had quite the resurgence, as you are well aware. And the 350 copies we had of that pie-in-the-sky boxed set we began working on all those years ago were nowhere near enough to satisfy the demand. And for that I will not apologize. When we started the series there was no telling what artists were to be a part of it, much less how popular they would be (or become) with vinyl fans. When we started the series we were nervous about the number we chose to press, hoping we wouldn’t be sitting on hundreds of unsold records. We were lucky that was never the case, but in 2003 there was no way to tell.

But now the argument becomes: why don’t you press more? Do a second pressing of 3000/4000/5000 copies to help satisfy the demand! Which we could do. But for now (and probably forever) we won’t. For a few reasons. One is we have too much great stuff on our current and future plate that we’re thrilled to birth and we wouldn’t want to push anything back for the sake of a repress. And two (and for us, most important), we go back to the first line in that email to artists back in 2003: "The idea behind the series is to create a limited edition release on vinyl. In this day and age of digital madness and file-swapping and mp3 downloads, we love the idea of creating a truly analog experience for the diehard fan.”

Simple as that. We have to honor the label we were back in 2003. We don’t release a lot of records. And we don’t do huge pressings either. We aren’t like most labels. Many would call us a “vanity” label, and it’s hard to argue with that. But we’ve spent twelve glorious years putting out records we are very proud of — quality music, quality vinyl, quality packaging. It’s important to us. Call us crazy, but the last thing we would call that is vain.

We understand and empathize with those frustrated fans who can’t get their hands on a particular release. We get it — at the core we are fans too. That’s why we do this. We put out records we want to see out there in the world. The one thing we’ll probably never truly have a handle on is how to accurately predict the demand for a record. Lately we have begun upping our pressing size to more accurately meet the interest of fans. But it’s still an imperfect science at best. And at our core, we like releasing quality, limited edition records for the die hard vinyl fan.

• Options
    We know things are different now. We know there are online retailers and eBay snipers who buy vinyl simply to resell at a much-inflated price. What’s the solution to that problem? Press 10,000 copies of a record, so there’s enough for everyone who wants one now, and twelve years in the future? Not a very good business model, sad to say. If we want to keep doing what we’re doing we have to be smart about it. And we’re trying to get better at that.

There are plans in the works to begin a second 10” series. And honestly I’m inclined to keep the numbers the same. Who knows, maybe in another twelve years, the demand for collectible vinyl will be much lower, and we’ll barely sell out of the 350 copies that go to whatever retail is in 2027….

We kid, we’re actually working on ways to get our product directly to indie retail and to consumers in a much more efficient way, one that will hopefully make most of you happy (we’re not naíve enough to think we can please everybody). Just know that we’re grateful to the vinyl hounds out there who have supported us so passionately these twelve years, and we hope you continue to do so.

In the meantime, next up for us is a completely unreleased Red House Painters record from 1994 — pressed on goat oil vinyl (it’s all the rage), limited to six copies worldwide. Sold only at post offices…

(okay, that last paragraph is a complete lie)

Hailing you,

Vinyl Films Records
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    ^^^^^^ Thanks Demetrios!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    andyfarrimondandyfarrimond Posts: 1,962
    Very interesting read, especially about the disappearing box that showed up on ebay.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    BIN for $150 on eBay if you want one that bad.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    I'm loving Mark Kozelek’s Duk Koo Kim! Also, digging the Eluvium - Pedals/Petals record!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

Very interesting read, especially about the disappearing box that showed up on ebay.

That is really weird...I wonder how that big distributor ended up with it?
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Where are the Kozelek 48 blue vinyl records??
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    I find it hard to believe they only pressed 500 of each record. What bothers me the most is they held back several sets for friends, family, etc. I know for a fact other labels do the same thing, which is fine, but they press additional copies, and number them differently.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

BIN for $150 on eBay if you want one that bad.

solid deal there
  • Options
    af7ukaf7uk Sheffield, UK Posts: 90
    Very, very interesting read. So there's actually only 444 sets in existence and only 350 on the open market.

Have to agree with Paul, $150 is a steal for this. That price will climb sharpley as demand remains high but the few out there get firmly integrated into collections.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    where they sell those?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    af7uk said:

Very, very interesting read. So there's actually only 444 sets in existence and only 350 on the open market.

Have to agree with Paul, $150 is a steal for this. That price will climb sharpley as demand remains high but the few out there get firmly integrated into collections.

absolutely think your right, there will be an initial quantity that goes to the secondary market, but the supply will soon dry up and I figure the desirability of the item will only increase
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

where they sell those?

Indie record shops in the US only. It was a very stressful experience for many of us :)
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

where they sell those?

Indie record shops in the US only. It was a very stressful experience for many of us :)
    oh ok..no chance then..thanks
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    RD101189RD101189 A distant time, a distant space Posts: 454
    My indie record store Zia Records claims to have received 0 copies. I reserved a copy a long time ago, but didn't matter since distributor didn't send them any. I think I need to quit trying to collect PJ vinyl as it seems to be an exercise in futility.
    09/08/1992 - Phoenix, AZ
    07/08/1998 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/21/2000 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/22/2014 - Denver, CO
    05/09/2022 - Phoenix, AZ
    09/22/2022 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    RD101189 said:

My indie record store Zia Records claims to have received 0 copies. I reserved a copy a long time ago, but didn't matter since distributor didn't send them any. I think I need to quit trying to collect PJ vinyl as it seems to be an exercise in futility.

Zia Records? This one? http://www.ziarecords.com/p/5480847/various-artist-vinyl-films-records-10-box

Available in store only! I would totally give them a call or email them.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    RD101189 said:

It's not really PJ vinyl, if that makes you feel better ;)
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,181

I find it hard to believe they only pressed 500 of each record. What bothers me the most is they held back several sets for friends, family, etc. I know for a fact other labels do the same thing, which is fine, but they press additional copies, and number them differently.

Actually I wonder if they pressed a little more. They said the missing box of Mike Mccready vinyls only brought them down to 492. We know more than that were sold by the ebay guy. We also know the box mentioned about another artist held 55 records. There must of been more than 8 records in the mccready box.

I guess it sounds like these were all pressed at different times, so maybe the idea to do an overrun didn't occur until later on. Maybe they felt there was no need for an overrun for the ones pressed when vinyl wasn't popular.

Their math is also a bit off. The 48 wrong color vinyls were from another artist. So they didn't need to double count the 8 missing Mike vinyls. If 48 were the wrong colour, they should of still been able to make 452 sets (not 444). They would of had 452 of the right vinyls and more than enough of the Mike vinyl's to match that up.

It also begs the question. By math there are 48 orphaned clear mike vinyl's. Where are they? :) They also seem to have the ability to create 8 more sets :)
  • Options
    demetrios said:

RD101189 said:

Zia Records? This one? http://www.ziarecords.com/p/5480847/various-artist-vinyl-films-records-10-box

I've been calling everyday since Tuesday to 3 different Zia's. Weird that the web now shows a price. I reserved a copy weeks ago and they told yesterday they weren't getting any copies. Today a guy said their warehouse shows 1 copy and he's trying to get it for me. They still show 10 ordered and none received at any store though. I'm not holding my breath.
    09/08/1992 - Phoenix, AZ
    07/08/1998 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/21/2000 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/22/2014 - Denver, CO
    05/09/2022 - Phoenix, AZ
    09/22/2022 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    RD101189 said:

demetrios said:

RD101189 said:

I've been calling everyday since Tuesday to 3 different Zia's. Weird that the web now shows a price. I reserved a copy weeks ago and they told yesterday they weren't getting any copies. Today a guy said their warehouse shows 1 copy and he's trying to get it for me. They still show 10 ordered and none received at any store though. I'm not holding my breath.
    And the one in the Zia warehouse won't make it to a store as it's going to someone (probably a 10C member) who ordered one online instead. Probably someone out of state too. Sick and tired of being pissed off at missing out on PJ and PJ related vinyl.
    09/08/1992 - Phoenix, AZ
    07/08/1998 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/21/2000 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/22/2014 - Denver, CO
    05/09/2022 - Phoenix, AZ
    09/22/2022 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Suziemay said:

RD101189 said:

It's not really PJ vinyl, if that makes you feel better ;)
    Yep, I got the clear MM on eBay, so the box set isn't really desirable for me. I would just try and find some of those individual clears.
  • Options
    RD101189 said:

RD101189 said:

demetrios said:

RD101189 said:

And the one in the Zia warehouse won't make it to a store as it's going to someone (probably a 10C member) who ordered one online instead. Probably someone out of state too. Sick and tired of being pissed off at missing out on PJ and PJ related vinyl.
    I'm gonna bet it's not reserved for that out of state fan. Many record stores i've noticed who posted on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram where folks asked about reserving it were replied with they couldn't. First come first serve. In store only. There are 3 record stores that i've noticed if you follow the pieces that have flipped their share on eBay & discog.

I hope Think Indie & Vinyl Films has taken notice for their next releases which record stores they should do business with.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Yeah, there is nothing worse than a record store having a pro-flipper mentality. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Vinyl Films has taken notice. They knew about the missing box of McCready's landing on ebay, so they just might be paying attention to other businesses turning theirs for profit.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,206
    one record store is flipping this on discogs for $150/shipping if that's a price point you're willing to meet.
  • Options
    AndySlash said:

one record store is flipping this on discogs for $150/shipping if that's a price point you're willing to meet.

Alternativemusic.com right? I feel sorry for their local customers who tried to pick one of these up from their store to see the box set is flipped for 3x's the price on discogs.