Options

GOP takes back the house. Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    another interesting tidbit about these results. nearly all progressive ballot initiatives passed, yet the conservatives won the seats.

fracking was defeated.
    fetal personhood was defeated.
    keeping outside money out of our elections passed... in Rikon, WI, birthplace of the republican party, this was passed by a whopping 80%-20%.
    voter id laws in some states were defeated.
    minimum wage hikes passed.
    marijuana legalization passed.
    in missouri, where i live, a ballot initiative barring teachers to collectively bargain got destroyed.

progressive positions won at the ballot box. conservative candidates won the seats.

why is this???

koch brothers and other outside monied groups buying influence.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    JimmyV said:

Impeachment is coming.

lol...on what grounds?

You really think the Dems are going to side with the GOP to impeach?

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Yesterday was a great day in America!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,761
    I voted and I guess I feel OK about that. Locally, the elections were a disaster in terms of county measures. Developers and big money kicked our asses. Sprawl always seems to win. Might be time to move again one of these days.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,674

Makes no difference. The 2 party system is really one party - the machine. When are folks going to wake up to the fact that the illusion that either party makes a difference in how this country is run is a fallacy?

We're all being snowed that either party gives a damn about anything other than greed, power and themselves.

This always seemed like a cynical cop out to me. Like apathy has sunk in and you give up.

• Options

Makes no difference. The 2 party system is really one party - the machine. When are folks going to wake up to the fact that the illusion that either party makes a difference in how this country is run is a fallacy?

We're all being snowed that either party gives a damn about anything other than greed, power and themselves.

This always seemed like a cynical cop out to me. Like apathy has sunk in and you give up.

Did I say I gave up? I voted. Did you? What I say above is the way things are. Whether you choose to accept it or choose to pretend that sides make a difference.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    JimmyV said:

Impeachment is coming.

stop teasing me :))

seriously I'm worried what will happen if numnutz does get impeached because as another poster said "they're ALL greedy crooks" so what will biden do at the helm ? will he be a meat puppet for the right ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    rr165892 said:

...That is more important to me then a party affiliation...

Comments like this have no place in political discussion! Get with the program, man. You're supposed to say this to seem middle of the road and then offer some type of backhanded derogatory comment to one of the parties, which you failed to do.

See this thread for examples.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    rr165892 said:

I know this is not a popular opinion in these uber liberal parts but I'm glad The Rep took the Senate.With Obama wanting to actually have something meaningful to leave as a legacy in these last 2years I think you see some actual cooperation and some things will get done
    .Alot of the Rep were mainstream Moderate that won office and not far right Tea Party.That is good.And I think you will see Jeb run and win next election.As a independant and Buisness owner I no problem with that and welcome the change.

NO more Bushes
    fuck that man, are you crazy????

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    ckravitz said:

rr165892 said:

...That is more important to me then a party affiliation...

Comments like this have no place in political discussion! Get with the program, man. You're supposed to say this to seem middle of the road and then offer some type of backhanded derogatory comment to one of the parties, which you failed to do.

See this thread for examples.
    My bad,I apologize for trying to actually base a political decision on common sense and personal experience.Lol
  • Options

I'd say yes and no, Go Beavers. I don't see backseatLover as an apathetic or "screw it, I give up" type at all. I think the point is that it is very frustrating to be actually working to make a positive difference and yet see the same old clown with new masks undermining those efforts.

Yeah, the system has to change and we have to work for that change, even as frustrating as it is. And how cool that we have AMT to voice opinions and learn things we might have otherwise missed.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Does Mitch McConnell look like a mutated version of Harry Reid or vice versa?
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,674

Did I say I gave up? I voted. Did you? What I say above is the way things are. Whether you choose to accept it or choose to pretend that sides make a difference.
    No, I said give up, you said it 'makes no difference'. What you're describing is giving up on seeing how things are different between the two parties, and that policy is changed and programs altered because of one party having power. This happens on a national level and a state level. Watch how an original proposal gets halted or watered down because of the other party. Watch what happens when an anti-union governor gets elected compared to another state that has pro-union legislators and gov.

• Options
    boehner is already saying obama "is going to poison the well" and that "he is playing with matches and is going to get burned."

what the fuck kind of a way is that to talk???

the dogwhistle has been blown.

impeachment is on the way.

i pray to fucking god they do it. i pray they try to repeal obamacare too.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    after having a couple of days to think about this, i just want to congratulate the american electorate for making such amazing choices.

vote in favor of progressive issues, vote for the people who will guarantee those issues never pass congress.

well done, dimbulbs..

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited November 2014

boehner is already saying obama "is going to poison the well" and that "he is playing with matches and is going to get burned."

what the fuck kind of a way is that to talk???

the dogwhistle has been blown.

impeachment is on the way.

i pray to fucking god they do it. i pray they try to repeal obamacare too.

To be fair Obamas people came out and said they were going to pursue immigration reform with executive order and congress can basically go fuck themselves if they don't go along.Not exactly a cooperative olive branch.Its both sides at fault here.They are almost all idiots.
  • Options
    do you really think this new congress is going to do anything of substance? anything at all? they could have acted on immigration 6 years ago, but they were too busy opposing everything.

500 filibusters. nice work gop.

• Options
    who wants to bet that the first thing the new house passes is a repeal of obamacare?

seriously, these people are so stupid, they are going to waste their time on that when they know that they do not have the numbers to override the veto.

• Options

after having a couple of days to think about this, i just want to congratulate the american electorate for making such amazing choices.

vote in favor of progressive issues, vote for the people who will guarantee those issues never pass congress.

well done, dimbulbs..

The dimbulbs are the Gen Y people that were too lazy to vote. Maybe they should make an App for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5epuPMf-7Y
  • Options
    Jason P said:

well done, dimbulbs..

The dimbulbs are the Gen Y people that were too lazy to vote. Maybe they should make an App for that.

Lot's of polling suggesting that the Gen Y/Millennials or whatever the fuck they are called have turned toward the Republican party. They say they are too young to remember the Bush years. How about opening up a fucking history book???

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

Jason P said:

well done, dimbulbs..

Lot's of polling suggesting that the Gen Y/Millennials or whatever the fuck they are called have turned toward the Republican party. They say they are too young to remember the Bush years. How about opening up a fucking history book???
    I think I'm approaching an age where the term for Gen Y / Millennials has become 'Whippersnappers". I had to go to True Value last week and buy a hose so I could keep them off my lawn.

The weed must be getting better if kids can't remember shit from six years ago.

Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho in '16!
  • Options
    Jason P said:

lolobugg said:

Jason P said:

well done, dimbulbs..

I think I'm approaching an age where the term for Gen Y / Millennials has become 'Whippersnappers". I had to go to True Value last week and buy a hose so I could keep them off my lawn.

The weed must be getting better if kids can't remember shit from six years ago.

Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho in '16!
    :))

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Millennials are born in the age of entitlement ... narcissists ... they all vote conservative ... that's the evolution of youth ...

Inhofe to lead Senate on Environment ... that pretty much sums up american politics right there ... the corrupt and ignorant leading the charge ...
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    The Big Lebowski and Idiocracy.

Well done Jason P.

• Options
    "God, what a mess, on the ladder of sucksess."

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-u-s-elections-bi-partisan-vote-buying-corporate-pr-campaigns-deja-vu-all-over-again/5412293

Eventually the tired game will exhaust itself. Beneath the billions of dollars U.S. elections are lifeless events. The predictable flopping from Democrat to Republican and back again, with voters given no real choice but to punish the party in power — by electing the party that was punished previously. This endless, irrational dynamic is the foundation of the U.S. electoral system.

The motor force pushing this logic is money, billions worth per cycle. The richest 1% threw nearly $4 billion to influence voters and to prepay for political favors from the winning candidates.

U.S. Elections have become corporate PR campaigns, with corporations doling money out equally to both parties. This bi-partisan vote buying guarantees that, aside from a couple of fervently debated social issues, a consistent, core economic agenda is firmly in place that favors the 1%.

This is why voters always punish the party in power. The ruling party earns the hatred of working-class voters by proving their love for the corporations and billionaires. The economy — and specifically jobs — has always been a priority for voters, but the economy is used by politicians to enrich the already-rich, who under Obama have received 95 percent of wealth created since he began as president. Such brazen inequality doesn’t happen by accident, but by policy, and no politicians are complaining about it.

During the “heated” debates of the midterm election, there was virtually no discussion of the economy. The two parties have nothing to debate about on this issue; they’re in total agreement. The same is true about foreign policy and the $700 billion dollars annually spent on the military.

Neither party complains that U.S. taxpayers have spent, according to a reputable study, $4-6 trillion dollars on the ongoing wars of Afghanistan and Iraq. Bi-partisan consensus prevented the topic from reaching the campaign trail, while guaranteeing that the insane and completely futile war policy continues.

Most Americans understand that U.S. politics equals legalized corruption. And consequently voter turnout sank to a new historic low of 38 percent. But even this number is highly misleading. One need only imagine if national congressional elections were voted on separately, instead of sharing the ballot with state elections and local ballot initiatives that voters actually care about. If this happened voter turnout would plummet to the teens, or lower, and could not be mislabeled “democracy.” The popularity of the U.S. Congress hovers around 10 percent, which means that 90 percent of the population consistently views this body as an alien entity, serving the interests of the parasitic super-rich.

The money that has stolen U.S. elections still provokes quite the fight between the Democrats and Republicans, who have their individual self-interests to protect. This is because the election winners get to reward their party campaigners with government positions and their donors with for-profit legislation. And after “following through” with passing legislation, the politician is rewarded yet again.

For example, when the politician inevitably becomes hated by everyone except the rich, the big money injects millions into the politician’s re-election campaign. And if the politician ends up losing he is rewarded for being loyal and is hired and paid millions as a “consultant” for the corporation, in effect a glamorized lobbyist.

What can we expect from the new Republican-controlled Congress? Many people will likely be surprised at the high level of cooperation between Obama and the Republicans, who have much in common. Most likely, a quick bi-partisan consensus will be reached on continuing and expanding the wars in the Middle East, with the ultimate and insane goal of toppling the Syrian and Iranian governments.

A new consensus will be reached regarding the U.S. economy, as both parties will “work together” to lower the U.S. corporate tax rate and give other “incentives” to the corporations and rich investors to actually invest their money in something productive other than their Wall Street gambling.

Obama and the Republicans will continue to work on their bi-partisan public school agenda, which aims to privatize the public schools through charters schools, an idea first proposed by the Reagan administration.

And while Republicans moan about Obamacare, they agree with its central feature, that “the market” should determine who gets health care and of what quality, based on what you can afford. The Republicans will loudly crow about this or that aspect of Obamacare they want eliminated, but the central logic is bi-partisan.

Ironically, as Obama continues to act in favor of the very wealthy, the Republican-controlled congress will give the president a chance to regain his lost popularity among Democrats. The Republicans are likely to use their control of the House and Senate to put forward legislation to appease their Christian fundamentalist base, targeting either abortions, immigrants, homosexuals, etc.

Obama will then get a chance to act as a “progressive” by using his veto power. After doing nothing for working people during his six years as president, Obama can become a “hero” again over a couple of social issues, just in time to re-energize Democratic voters for the 2016 election, which will falsely be labeled “the most important election of our lifetime.”

The veins of the U.S. body politic are too clogged with cash to be cleansed. Many progressive activists are demanding the repeal of the Supreme Court decision Citizens United, which opened the floodgate to corporate cash into elections. But in reality this floodgate already existed, Citizens United merely legalized what was happening on a hundred different levels. Massive accumulation of money will find its way into politics, one way or another.

Labor unions have an unfortunate role in propping up this two party dynamic of corporate cancer, since unions give undeserved legitimacy to this process by funding Democrats and telling their millions of union members to campaign and vote for a party that has participated along with the Republicans in attacking unionized and non-unionized working people for the last 30 years.

Third parties don’t spring out of the air. They are built by organizations with pre-existing resources and large memberships, like labor unions and other large community organizations. The various failed attempts at creating third parties in the U.S. can be blamed on the lack of any large national working class organization investing in them.

A workers’ party financed and co-organized by the unions has that ability to smash the two-party system. Such a party can’t compete with the Wall Street cash, but it can use its resources and membership to rally the broader country around a progressive platform of green job creation to fight climate change, raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour, and taxing the rich and big corporations to pay for better schools and other vital social programs. Such demands would reverberate across the country in a political landscape where working people’s aspirations are complete ignored.
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited November 2014

No, I said give up, you said it 'makes no difference'. What you're describing is giving up on seeing how things are different between the two parties, and that policy is changed and programs altered because of one party having power. This happens on a national level and a state level. Watch how an original proposal gets halted or watered down because of the other party. Watch what happens when an anti-union governor gets elected compared to another state that has pro-union legislators and gov.

What you are describing are the minute details of making these 2 parties appear different. When really, they are run by the same machine. Different scapegoat at the top, same outcome. Every. single. time. The lobbyists win, not any one party.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options

who wants to bet that the first thing the new house passes is a repeal of obamacare?

seriously, these people are so stupid, they are going to waste their time on that when they know that they do not have the numbers to override the veto.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/11/07/3590368/breaking-supreme-court-to-hear-case-seeking-to-gut-obamacare/