GOP takes back the house. Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    2012 slogan - Forward

2014 slogan - Stalled
  • Options
    It shows a constant 8 year trend where everyone is perpetually disappointed with congress so each side takes and loses power like they are on a retarded teeter totter.

Six years, one term limit, that is what is needed in my opinion.
  • Options

Makes no difference. The 2 party system is really one party - the machine. When are folks going to wake up to the fact that the illusion that either party makes a difference in how this country is run is a fallacy?

We're all being snowed that either party gives a damn about anything other than greed, power and themselves.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Did you mean "takes back the Senate"? They already had the house.

I am definitely a little surprised that there was such a shift given the current cost of gas, current unemployment rate, stock market performance, etc. The Dems completely botched this election....they should have owned what they stood for instead of cowering to the GOP bullshit machine.

Grimes in KY is the perfect example. She wouldn't even admit to voting for Obama. She should have been blasting McConnell as "the problem" given the fucking eternity he has been in office, admitted voting for Obama since the insurance exchange in KY is like the fucking poster child for the success of the ACA, and presented herself as the only voice for the people rather than that tortoise faced douchecannon.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    There's a very tiny pendulum that makes a minor swing back and forth every 8 years. In reality, almost nothing changes.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    I hate to give the GOP credit but their strategy worked. Just keep telling people how awful everything is and when it keeps getting obvious that things aren't that awful create imaginary bullshit to fire up the base.

THings won't really change much. Obama will veto all the bullshit that they try to pass.

I'm always encouraged after they win (referring to McConnell) and give victory speeches where they say they are ready to work with the Pres and get things done. I'm guessing that won't happen.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    edited November 2014
    I am in NC and I am disappointed.
    expected it to happen. The GOP has been coming on strong here appealing to the racist elements and using Obama as the bogeyman.
    God, Guns and GOP down here right now.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    GOP racked up a lot of governor's mansions as well, including in dark blue states such as Massachusetts and Maryland. Scott Walker also wrapped up a 3-peat in Wisconsin.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    in my humble opinion this picture is much bigger than just a voter change of heart, you gotta ask yourself "what made the voters change thier minds ?" so the real deal starts right ?>
    will there be a Republican President next election ? is corprate America flexing it's muscle (as they destroy the American worker) I am not happy that the whole mape is red and I'm pissed that the Dem's fucked things up to a point that people voted possibably out of simple anger, what will happen with "fast track" how will this affect employment in our country ?
    and just because I want obama out does not mean I want a republican in office but non the less I still feel obama is reponsible for a big part of the people he said he would stand up for and now feel let down (don't make promices you can't keep) so buckle up and hold on it's going to be a wild ride for the next 2 years and who knows what after that ?.

Godfather.

• Options
    I don't think Obama pushed away stumping for candidates...they didn't want him there. That was the mistake in my opinion. If the GOP calls you "liberal" you wear it like a badge of honor and tell the people why a liberal will benefit them more than a conservative.

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I'm hoping for a Republican president so it will be cool to ask to bring the troops home and close Guantanamo again.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    know1 said:

There's a very tiny pendulum that makes a minor swing back and forth every 8 years. In reality, almost nothing changes.

Exactly. All the nonsense you hear from these politicians after each election is laughable. Like you said, pretty much nothing will change.
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346

Makes no difference. The 2 party system is really one party - the machine. When are folks going to wake up to the fact that the illusion that either party makes a difference in how this country is run is a fallacy?

We're all being snowed that either party gives a damn about anything other than greed, power and themselves.

^^This
    NYPJ
  • Options
    mandm621mandm621 moran, mi Posts: 93
    I think it's a shame. what were the voters thinking? All the problems, government shut downs because of the republican majority these last few years, and now their even more powerful???? It's to bad it wasn't a presidential race, so more people would've gotten out and voted, I feel for all of us that aren't in the 1% ! I know I'm a paycheck to paycheck single mom, and I'm very afraid. Think I'll go listen to some Pearl Jam. At least they make sense.
  • Options
    And the GOP needs to seriously look at the anti-constitutional acts they're taking. It's a constitutional right that we all have the right to vote. Yet in some states, there are suddenly laws about voter IDs and if people have the proper ID to vote. Pure BULLSHIT. They want to talk about the 2nd amendment, how about the 15th???
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

And the GOP needs to seriously look at the anti-constitutional acts they're taking. It's a constitutional right that we all have the right to vote. Yet in some states, there are suddenly laws about voter IDs and if people have the proper ID to vote. Pure BULLSHIT. They want to talk about the 2nd amendment, how about the 15th???

Some incongruity here. I agree with both but the first quote only applies to the economy and the long term picture.
    In the short term, the GOP will be passing legislation to limit women's freedom of access to birth control and equal wages, they will be restricting voter rights, destroying the EPA's effectiveness, and pushing Christianity under the guise of freedom of religion.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    Impeachment is coming.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited November 2014
    JimmyV said:

Impeachment is coming.

I don't know Jimmy. Not so sure republicans want to take on rhe risk of impeaching sitting president that did no worse than his predecessor. I may be wrong we'll see but wouldn't bet on it. Yeah there will be calls but that's it.

It's nuts how economy has mostly turned around and we've mostly stayed out of conflicts, stock markets soured yet Americans see none of this. Sad.

Help us if we get a chicken hawk as next president.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I know this is not a popular opinion in these uber liberal parts but I'm glad The Rep took the Senate.With Obama wanting to actually have something meaningful to leave as a legacy in these last 2years I think you see some actual cooperation and some things will get done
    .Alot of the Rep were mainstream Moderate that won office and not far right Tea Party.That is good.And I think you will see Jeb run and win next election.As a independant and Buisness owner I no problem with that and welcome the change.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    rr165892 said:

I know this is not a popular opinion in these uber liberal parts but I'm glad The Rep took the Senate.With Obama wanting to actually have something meaningful to leave as a legacy in these last 2years I think you see some actual cooperation and some things will get done
    .Alot of the Rep were mainstream Moderate that won office and not far right Tea Party.That is good.And I think you will see Jeb run and win next election.As a independant and Buisness owner I no problem with that and welcome the change.

Another Bush really man i gotta get out of this country ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited November 2014
    God help us if another Bush ever makes it to the White House ever again. So many people will never let such a thing happen.
    rr165892 said:

Hilarious. Especially the "cooperation" part.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    rr165892 said:

Rr, The republicans were obstructionists since Obama took office. Now he's to work with them???
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    He will.Wait and see.They all start tripping balls over legacy.They will get a few good things accomplished.
  • Options

God help us if another Bush ever makes it to the White House ever again. So many people will never let such a thing happen.

rr165892 said:

Hilarious. Especially the "cooperation" part.
    Actually Jeb was a great Gov here in FL.He did not tow the party line when it came to taking care of our state,especially how he pit bulled after Big Insurance after our Year with 4 Hurricanes.He earn my respect.That is more important to me then a party affiliation.He did the right thing when he needed to.
  • Options
    callen said:

rr165892 said:

Rr, The republicans were obstructionists since Obama took office. Now he's to work with them???
    True,they were/are.But the Dems and Reed and Pelozzi are just as bad.Both parties worry to much about party lines and not enough about those of us that elected them to represent us.All fuck tards.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

He will.Wait and see.They all start tripping balls over legacy.They will get a few good things accomplished.

Again, hilarious. From day 1, republicans have refused to work with Obama. Not the other way around. I'm done here. I don't argue party lines. You folks only willing to see lines drawn and not the bigger picture (the machine) are a waste of my time.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    JimmyV said:

Impeachment is coming.

you can take that to the bank. it is coming.

both sides will play nice for awhile.

the gop will pass a few things, obama will sign some, veto others.

all the while, republican led committees will be investigating the president going all the way back to when he was a senator. these committees are not accountable to anybody. not even the speaker of the house or head of the senate. this is why committee chairmanships are such coveted positions, and are such great honors to receive.

give it 8 months.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    i can not help but see the irony that people voted out democrats that were not polling too terribly bad in favor of a party that has seen all time unfavorable marks in polls the last 2 years.

the gop wanted it, now it is their responsibility to lead. after 6 years of saying "NNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" it is now their responsibility to get up off of their asses and actually do something.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    lastly, i got a chance to see the victory speech by joni ernst. i am now stupider for having heard it...

• Options
    RR, you are going to have to take back what you've said.

"Stop Barack Obama": Right-Wing Media Demand No Compromise

http://mediamatters.org/research/2014/11/05/stop-barack-obama-right-wing-media-demand-no-co/201458