Options

Yet another school shooting. Washington state

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    How many of you posting the series of comments above in this thread have a teenager in highschool? Because I do, and I don't find your assessment of high school expectations to be accurate.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

How many of you posting the series of comments above in this thread have a teenager in highschool? Because I do, and I don't find your assessment of high school expectations to be accurate.

So being a parent qualifies you as an expert?

Tell us exactly which assessments you find to be inaccurate so those that need to consider your claim as criticism may do so.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

I have a teenager in 8th grade. What isn't accurate about today's youth being pampered and coddled?
  • Options

So being a parent qualifies you as an expert?

Tell us exactly which assessments you find to be inaccurate so those that need to consider your claim as criticism may do so.
    Whoa, please don't put words into my mouth. I didn't claim to be an expert, I just asked if you had a child in high school, because it can be hard to know how the school system is actually working unless you have a kid in school. So for instance, the bit about not getting a zero for an assignment not turned in - in practice, how that works in our school system is NOT that a kid gets a mark that hasn't been earned; rather, the kid has to complete the assignment and get a mark. So the kid has to do it while in class, or stay after class to do it, or a similar arrangement. Since the goal is for the kids to actually do the assignments and learn something, not just for them to fail, quit school and be unable to get a job, I think its a positive thing that they have to do the assignment rather than just letting them choose not to.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    chadwick said:

& yes unsung is correct. today kids more than ever are pampered & catered to. it's unreal how soft folks are. congratulations

I was just reading about a High School where students watching 6 of their peers get gunned down in front of their eyes while the leaders in their community stood by and did nothing about it.

If that doesn't make a kid hard, I don't know what will....
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    "today kids more than ever are pampered & catered to. it's unreal how soft folks are. congratulations"
    "Everybody gets to be Einstein!"

We are experiencing an outbreak of curmudgeonlyness on the board. Everyone please take appropriate precautions.
  • Options
    I have two kids in high school. I've taught high school for 20 years.

I take back the 'Einstein' comment (I didn't have a ton of time to explain what I meant by it... and it was a poor submission given what I wanted to say), but I offer the following so you might comprehend my perspective:

I understand the 'no-zero' policy very well in terms of what it is trying to do. I completely agree that kids who struggle should receive all the extra time and the support necessary to complete assignments provided they are using that time to do such. This is a no-brainer and teachers have been doing this for as long as I have been doing the job without strict policy that insists they do this (outside of a few poor examples of course).

These types of policies work very well for the students that genuinely need such time, but there has been a negative effect that plays out under such an umbrella:

In practice, the result has seen many kids meander their way through their studies with policies that permit a somewhat laissez-faire approach to school. Many kids opt to turn assignments in on their own time- playing X-Box or socializing- instead of completing work and meeting deadlines. As a result, many feel that many kids are no longer learning to be accountable for their actions.

Further, I feel many kids no longer deal with the invaluable lessons that can be learned from dealing with failure- not complete failure (as in an entire class)... but failure that resembles a botched assignment or two that often has the effect of motivating a kid to take things a little more seriously afterwards. When a kid struggles, but makes it through because of extra effort on their part... they begin to feel empowered (if we had more time... I'd relate my Atmospheric Geography class to you).

So... good intentions have brought about some undesirable effects. We could debate which side of the scale is heavier, but let's not (I'm sitting on the fence with the entire notion of the 'no zero' policy- intrigued... but hesitant).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    chadwick said:

start teaching gun safety asap. put down the fucking xbox & the other stupid ass shit & join the real world called growing the hell up

actually how about teaching problem solving skills and maybe teaching kids and adults that guns are not a way to solve a problem.

society will become much better when we start to understand that guns should not be the 1 or even 20 option when we look at solving a problem.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Further, I feel many kids no longer deal with the invaluable lessons that can be learned from dealing with failure- not complete failure (as in an entire class)... but failure that resembles a botched assignment or two that often has the effect of motivating a kid to take things a little more seriously afterwards. When a kid struggles, but makes it through because of extra effort on their part... they begin to feel empowered (if we had more time... I'd relate my Atmospheric Geography class to you).

Well-said! The onus is on student, teacher, and parent(s). The "everyone wins" mentality and practice of making it easy on the kids ultimately does them a disservice.

(See? I have no beef with teachers such as yourself - those who care, genuinely want the best for their students, and understand the importance of not always succeeding...using failures as stepping-stones toward that success and toward learning in general)

• Options

I have two kids in high school. I've taught high school for 20 years.

I take back the 'Einstein' comment (I didn't have a ton of time to explain what I meant by it... and it was a poor submission given what I wanted to say), but I offer the following so you might comprehend my perspective:

I understand the 'no-zero' policy very well in terms of what it is trying to do. I completely agree that kids who struggle should receive all the extra time and the support necessary to complete assignments provided they are using that time to do such. This is a no-brainer and teachers have been doing this for as long as I have been doing the job without strict policy that insists they do this (outside of a few poor examples of course).

These types of policies work very well for the students that genuinely need such time, but there has been a negative effect that plays out under such an umbrella:

In practice, the result has seen many kids meander their way through their studies with policies that permit a somewhat laissez-faire approach to school. Many kids opt to turn assignments in on their own time- playing X-Box or socializing- instead of completing work and meeting deadlines. As a result, many feel that many kids are no longer learning to be accountable for their actions.

So... good intentions have brought about some undesirable effects. We could debate which side of the scale is heavier, but let's not (I'm sitting on the fence with the entire notion of the 'no zero' policy- intrigued... but hesitant).

Thanks for your perspective, TBU. I agree with much of what you've said (and also the implication that our quick "sound bite" posts don't necessarily actually convey what we want to say; we are wary of longer posts that may turn people off). Failures for kids are important, as long as they are manageable and not catastrophic. I imagine it could be difficult as a teacher to figure out which kid can be motivated by a particular failure, and which will be demoralized.

Would love to hear about the Atmospheric Geography class, if you care to expand.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    CM189191 said:

We tried it your way. Your way doesn't work. Your way sucks. We're tired of sucking and expect better from ourselves.

Actually you haven't tried it my way, that's why I'm here attempting to send that information for your gray matter to analyze.

But we HAVE tried it your way. Chicago the gun control capital of the USA is also murder capital in the USA. Your policies are abhorrent on everything from gun control to economic planning to your social engineering. Failure through and through. EVERY major metropolitan area suffering from squalor is run by Democrats. Congratulations. It's laughable, a liberal trying to argue their policies. Easiest discussion win ever.
  • Options
    unsung said:

CM189191 said:

We tried it your way. Your way doesn't work. Your way sucks. We're tired of sucking and expect better from ourselves.

Actually you haven't tried it my way, that's why I'm here attempting to send that information for your gray matter to analyze.

But we HAVE tried it your way. Chicago the gun control capital of the USA is also murder capital in the USA. Your policies are abhorrent on everything from gun control to economic planning to your social engineering. Failure through and through. EVERY major metropolitan area suffering from squalor is run by Democrats. Congratulations. It's laughable, a liberal trying to argue their policies. Easiest discussion win ever.
    you like to use Chicago as an example and many people here have shown why its not a fair comparison. , Canada has stricter guns laws and has lower gun violence. how do you explain that ?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

CM189191 said:

What bullshit. Not even worth delving into, your conservatism underpins all the failures you blame on liberals. Deregulation much? Citizens United much?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    fife said:

unsung said:

CM189191 said:

you like to use Chicago as an example and many people here have shown why its not a fair comparison. , Canada has stricter guns laws and has lower gun violence. how do you explain that ?

Because the discussion is about the US. So we can compare cities based on policy. Compare Houston to Chicago, similar population makeup, drastically different crimes rates and social inequities.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

CM189191 said:

What bullshit. Not even worth delving into, your conservatism underpins all the failures you blame on liberals. Deregulation much? Citizens United much?

Detroit much? Illinois much? California much? All on the brink of collapse. Your pride and joy.

• Options
    And Alabama, West Virginia, and Arizona are all doing so stellar, they are so far from the brink of collapse.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    fife said:

chadwick said:

start teaching gun safety asap. put down the fucking xbox & the other stupid ass shit & join the real world called growing the hell up

actually how about teaching problem solving skills and maybe teaching kids and adults that guns are not a way to solve a problem.

society will become much better when we start to understand that guns should not be the 1 or even 20 option when we look at solving a problem.
    This I have two teen kids and the last thing I should have to teach them is how to handle fucking guns , why is it that in my teens my parents didn't have to either ...you know what this fucking country and it's gun mentality make me sick ....F off
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    edited October 2014
    unsung said:

CM189191 said:

Once again Im not surprised that you are a Pearl Jam fan.

But I am surprised that such a strong supporter of Pearl Jam would also be a fan of Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Adam Jones and others of their ilk.
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

unsung said:

CM189191 said:

Once again Im not surprised that you are a Pearl Jam fan.

But I am surprised that such a strong supporter of Pearl Jam would also be a fan of Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Adam Jones and others of their ilk.
    I wasn't aware that your political affiliations had anything to do with the music you listen to.
  • Options

fife said:

chadwick said:

This I have two teen kids and the last thing I should have to teach them is how to handle fucking guns , why is it that in my teens my parents didn't have to either ...you know what this fucking country and it's gun mentality make me sick ....F off
    I am going to assume that you are not telling me to f off.

its so funny for a country that has done things that are amazing like sending someone to the moon and yet when it comes to guns its like they forest gump.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

CM189191 said:

Detroit much? Illinois much? California much? All on the brink of collapse. Your pride and joy.

States like Kansas & Wisconsin have enacted Tea Party policy that effectively killed off their economic growth and stagnated employment. Meanwhile neighboring states like Minnesota and Iowa have thrived.

Your Randian policies don't work any better for economics than they do for gun control...

At least MI, IL and CA had somewhere to fall from. Let's take a look at the states currently above the national unemployment rate (5.9%):
    24 LOUISIANA 6.0
    24 MASSACHUSETTS 6.0
    26 FLORIDA 6.1
    27 ARKANSAS 6.2
    27 NEW YORK 6.2
    29 MARYLAND 6.3
    29 MISSOURI 6.3
    31 CONNECTICUT 6.4
    32 DELAWARE 6.5
    32 NEW JERSEY 6.5
    34 ALABAMA 6.6
    34 ILLINOIS 6.6
    34 NEW MEXICO 6.6
    34 SOUTH CAROLINA 6.6
    34 WEST VIRGINIA 6.6
    39 KENTUCKY 6.7
    39 NORTH CAROLINA 6.7
    41 ALASKA 6.8
    42 ARIZONA 6.9
    43 OREGON 7.1
    44 MICHIGAN 7.2
    45 CALIFORNIA 7.3
    45 NEVADA 7.3
    45 TENNESSEE 7.3
    48 RHODE ISLAND 7.6
    49 DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA 7.7
    49 MISSISSIPPI 7.7
    51 GEORGIA 7.8

....I see red people....

Why can't these states be more boot-strappy and stop taking handouts from us hard-working blue states?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    fife said:

fife said:

chadwick said:

its so funny for a country that has done things that are amazing like sending someone to the moon and yet when it comes to guns its like they forest gump.
    No way fife, Jose ISNT telling you to fuck off. I actually think he agrees with your post.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    chadwick said:

Chad, the kid that did this knew gun safety. He was taught by his dad to hunt. He then used this skill to kill.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    unsung said:

CM189191 said:

Well the current way in the US is the easy access to guns way. It's not the democrats way. It's the gun lobby way.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    fife said:

fife said:

chadwick said:

No i'm agreeing with you , i'm telling the gun nuts to F off unless you're one of them it's funny how the pro gun folks want the anti g
    badbrains said:

fife said:

fife said:

chadwick said:

No way fife, Jose ISNT telling you to fuck off. I actually think he agrees with your post.
    Exactly i'm agreeing with fife :)
    Post edited by josevolution on
  • Options
    My quoting skills suck
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

My quoting skills suck

You got that right! Lol
  • Options
    callen said:

chadwick said:

Chad, the kid that did this knew gun safety. He was taught by his dad to hunt. He then used this skill to kill.

Gun safety means using the gun in a safe way so that you don't hurt people but if you want to hurt people it doesn't matter if a person knows gun safety.

Just a quick question for people who owns guns. did your parents also own guns? did they take you target shooting as a kid?

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    im no gun nut, don't even own a gun these days. there will be crazies out there who will hurt & kill others if not w/ a gun then a ball bat or a knife or a axe or a power tool. i still stand my ground w/ the pampered & catered to jerkoffs that overfill this here society. weak, weak & real fucking weak & im not talking about someone's physical strength.

we're over 317 million people here in the u.s. & we have both legal & illegal firearms, we have crazies & not crazies. guess what? whackjobs exist, whackjobs are gonna kill. i'm sorry but that is what nutjobs do. these idiots are some of the weak fuckers i was telling you about. they are batshit crazy & so they shoot up the place killing others. better coddle them once arrested. better coddle the ball bat murderer or the mega-rapist.

just get the kids their gaming systems, we'll stick our heads up our asses which are planted in the sand. maybe little johnny's games are shoot em up games, yes/no? you think a mental disability werewolf knows the difference between gaming & reality? if he does know the difference, do you think he gives a damn? better turn on one of the four televisions in the home... better yet, turn them all on, there sure as shit must be some killing & other violence on one of these four flat screens. good shit in the sick fucking crap viewed across this country.

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    fife said:

callen said:

chadwick said:

Gun safety means using the gun in a safe way so that you don't hurt people but if you want to hurt people it doesn't matter if a person knows gun safety.

Just a quick question for people who owns guns. did your parents also own guns? did they take you target shooting as a kid?

I own a 22 rifle and yes my father grew up with guns for hunting. We were taught good gun safety even though we rarely went shooting. We did some target shooting, some more in Boy Scouts, but no hunting. I am all for tighter gun restrictions, particularly for handguns and tactically appointed rifles. I live out in the boonies where (contrary to the ideas of city folk) people don't fuck with each other. I have two large, very sweet but scary-barking dogs which would do more to protect me than a loaded gun ever could, and I really just don't live in fear.
This discussion has been closed.