Options

Yet another school shooting. Washington state

Comments

• Options
    I totally understand if people want to hunt with rifles but you can't hide a rifle in your pocket and hand guns only have one intended purpose. Studies show that your chance of being shot goes up dramatically when you introduce a gun into an already volatile situation. Stun guns are the way to go. Apparently when you press a button on the projectile style stun guns it drops the leads and continues to shock the person for 10 or 15 seconds giving you a chance to run away and running is what anyone should do unless your just fixated on killing someone. Why does the military have so many non-lethal weapons and we're still stuck with these black powder filled caveman boom sticks?
  • Options
    In my opinion, it would be very difficult for society and the world to limit firearms. Unfortunately, guns are not high technology, have been around for centuries, and are now being made with 3D printers.
    I would love to live in a world without violent people and criminals who endanger others but that's not how the world works. If our society can become a more peaceful place than I would gladly destroy my firearm.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Ridiculous that this continues to happen ... So very sad.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    It's beyond ridiculous it's like a recurring nightmare , this shit will never ever stop it's sickening really ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Putting this link here as a well written perspective. I personally am pro gun but respectfully try understand each opinion or stance that one may have.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/24/opinion/liu-marysville-shooting-guns/index.html
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Another student died last night. Very sad
  • Options

Gorgeous kids- all of them.

Our kids need to understand that the social and emotional pains they feel in the most tumultuous time of their life is momentary and that violence/suicide are not options- ever.

There's always better days ahead.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

Our kids need to understand that the social and emotional pains they feel in the most tumultuous time of their life is momentary and that violence/suicide are not options- ever.

Yes, exactly! This is why we need to keep guns out of the hands of our kids - so they can't take a permanent action based on temporary emotions. They feel so intensely as teens/young adults that it seems very condescending when someone tries to explain that their heartbreak over the girl who broke up with them, or their embarrassment over what some guy said to them in class, will seem distant and juvenile to them next year, or even next month.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

If they want to end it, have at it. Stop taking other with you.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

...says the guy who works at a coal plant...

I feel the same way.

Real compassionate buddy....
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

I feel the same way.

I get what he's saying and there is an element of truth to it- I feel much worse for the 'others' than I do for the shooter.

However, the community seems to be authentically mourning the shooter's death as well. If they can forgive him... ?
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

I feel the same way.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

CM189191 said:

I feel the same way.

I get what he's saying and there is an element of truth to it- I feel much worse for the 'others' than I do for the shooter.

However, the community seems to be authentically mourning the shooter's death as well. If they can forgive him... ?
    He was a child, and from what I've read a child who was loved by the community and at least one of the victims (his cousin), and loved him in return. If he hadn't had access to a gun, this probably would have been a fist-fight with his cousin, time to cool off, then patching it up later when they all moved on.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I get it too.

If needing to punish or hurt yourself (this is not something easily written), please please...leave the innocents alone.

Wish I could articulate it better in this moment, and I have no doubt of the collective compassion in this community.

• Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited October 2014

CM189191 said:

I feel the same way.

He was a child, and from what I've read a child who was loved by the community and at least one of the victims (his cousin), and loved him in return. If he hadn't had access to a gun, this probably would have been a fist-fight with his cousin, time to cool off, then patching it up later when they all moved on.
    He was also a child who texted his friends to meet in a specific spot and then walked up to them and shot them in the back of the heads. If he was 5, I'd be more understanding. He was more than capable of making a better choice than the one he did.

I'm as disappointed as anyone about the state of affairs our youth is in. However, I'm not going to feign a ton of sympathy for a 'young' mass murderer.

With that said, there are two issues here that need to be addressed:

1. Teenage angst and lack of coping skills in 'today's world'.
    - the pressure on our youth is greater than what it was when I was a teenager. Social media has left our kids exposed in ways we cannot begin to measure.

2. Guns.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited October 2014
    1a. Never teaching a child how to deal with being told no. Instead every child is special and gets a trophy for participating, heck they don't even keep score sometimes because they don't want hurt feelings.

2a. Lack of training on safe use of firearms. Lack of training on how a firearm functions and how it is a dangerous tool. Instead lets just use the Xbox to babysit for lazy parents. Little Johnny can play call of duty all day and only have friends on the Internet.

Both lead to zero social skills and create outcasts. Both policies of a far left agenda. Ding ding.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    unsung said:

1a. Never teaching a child how to deal with being told no. Instead every child is special and gets a trophy for participating, heck they don't even keep score sometimes because they don't want hurt feelings.

Agree.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

CM189191 said:

I feel the same way.

He was also a child who texted his friends to meet in a specific spot and then walked up to them and shot them in the back of the heads. If he was 5, I'd be more understanding. He was more than capable of making a better choice than the one he did.

I'm as disappointed as anyone about the state of affairs our youth is in. However, I'm not going to feign a ton of sympathy for a 'young' mass murderer.

With that said, there are two issues here that need to be addressed:

1. Teenage angst and lack of coping skills in 'today's world'.
    - the pressure on our youth is greater than what it was when I was a teenager. Social media has left our kids exposed in ways we cannot begin to measure.

2. Guns.
    I don't blame the kid.

Yeah the kid should of known better but we’ve all had times in our lives that pressures and hate have brewed up to make us very angry. Many would even say that they wanted to fkn off someone. Would we do it? Most no, but some humans, given the easy way to settle score and having an efficient easy tool like a Beretta in nightstand in dads bedroom to do it, will.
    If I had kids in the house, I would know that they are inherently unstable and would not allow them to have access. If you’re a parent and allow access to your kids..even for hunting you are increasing chances of something bad happening. Is it worth it..to teach Johnnie how to shoot a deer?…maybe?

As a society, we give shorter sentences or even just probation for killing another human with a gun…….. mistakenly shooting family member thought to be a burglar. Catching spouse in bed with another person. We acknowledge our failings in dealing with emotions mixed with guns and sentence accordingly. This says it all.

We will continue to have school shootings as well as other massacres. When I see yet another headline, I don’t bat an eye…heck don’t really read the stories anymore…...they are all the same. Same characters, same victims, same responsible gun owners that allowed access to confused youth.

We’ve invented a very efficient killing tool and have allowed this tool to be distributed to anyone that wants it. And as with having a child, we have created no obstacles, training or registration to have this efficient killing tool. Should be put restrictions? Should we give information to the government? I hate giving info to feds...but is it worth it?

Now should someone have the right to own this tool for one’s protection? If you do then you must acknowledge that innocent humans will die due to your right. You can deflect all you want but this is the consequence, right or not. And the more that exercise this right will directly correlate to more innocent humans being killed.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited October 2014
    I seriously am starting to believe that coming to this place is hazardous to my mental health.

What law or lack thereof allows ownership of a handgun to a teenager? None.

So why are you wanting redundancy and more laws?

What background check would have stopped this act? None. What other law would have? None. How would registration stopped this act? It wouldn't.

You want to fix this? See my previous. Stop addressing the symptoms with a complete waste of time. Liberals constantly try to social engineer children. It doesn't work. It needs to stop.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    unsung said:

I seriously am starting to believe that coming to this place is hazardous to my mental health.

What background check would have stopped this act? None. What other law would have? None. How would registration stopped this act? It wouldn't.

You want to fix this? See my previous. Stop addressing the symptoms with a complete waste of time. Liberals constantly try to social engineer children. It doesn't work. It needs to stop.

Reading this post I am not surprised that you are a Pearl Jam fan.

But once again it has to be asked....

Would having a trained and armed staff member or more than one in the cafeteria prevented this heinous act from occurring?
  • Options
    It may have reduced it. I don't have a crystal ball.

It's a better option than a sign and a "zone" that is ignored.
  • Options
    Gun rights = gun deaths. Period.

So in US we've decided a few innocent humans being killed by guns is worth the right to own a gun.

Refusing to have guns registered giving government information makes it harder to hold humans accountable.

Simple as this.
  • Options
    unsung said:

What was the solution? Training. Proper parenting?

Don't disagree this would help but barely. The ONLY way to solve gun deaths is to remove guns from society.

So we as a society choose to allow guns so we as a society must acknowledge we are okay with few innocents being shot. Stop being shocked at school shootings. This is our society.

And Further arming will not do ANYTHING. And Parents are going to continue to suck.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    unsung said:

At a minimum a gun should be locked up by the registered owner. That won't solve 100% of the issue but it would at least be a step toward prevention.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    unsung said:

Chicken/Egg?

All the parenting and training in the world has not, will not, and does not prevent. We see this over and over again. Good training, just makes them a better shot. Look at the DC Shooter a few years back, or that guy who's running around the forest in the NE (did they ever catch him?). Look at this kid, or a dozen others: "we never imagined it, he was such a good boy, liked by his friends, etc...".

We tried it your way. Your way doesn't work. Your way sucks. We're tired of sucking and expect better from ourselves.

Possible solutions:

You want to purchase a gun? Great, you can purchase a gun after a significant background check, waiting period.That includes background check for every gun purchase or transfer of possession, including between private citizens. No more gun show loophole.

You have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test. You also must take and pass a shooting class. Then, a mental test and drug test. All of which you'll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups.

Provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. Police also inspect the gun annually. And you have to re-take the classes and exams every three years.

Even then, the number of guns purchased year will be severely limited. The types of guns you can purchase will be severely limited. You hunt? You get guns for hunting, that's it. No more easily concealed handguns. Reinstate the Assault Weapons Ban.

Your gun gets stolen and used in a crime? Congratulations, you are now an accessory to that crime and punishable under law.

The amount of ammo you can buy at a time will be limited. Ammo shells/casings will be stamped with ID#'s that can be traced back to the person who purchased that ammo. Your ammo gets used in a crime? Congratulations, you are now an accessory to that crime and punishable under law.

Smart guns - we have the technology, use it.

You need to conceal/carry - you better have a damn good reason. We're talking substantial threat - former lover with a restraining order type-stuff. Security guards who need one for work. Something better than: "I want to because I can".

I've posted this before and I'll post it again - this is how you handle gun ownership and reduce gun violence in a civilized society:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/07/a-land-without-guns-how-japan-has-virtually-eliminated-shooting-deaths/260189/?single_page=true
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    unsung said:

Nobody wants redundancy and more laws as much as they want effective laws that have the potential to make a difference.

The status quo is brutal and obviously, most certainly, without question in dire need of reform.

I realize the weapon industry has instilled paranoia and fear into many people and because they are scared... the 'obviousness' of the situation has been lost on them.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    mickeyrat said:

chadwick said:

that isn't right, mickeyrat

so you dont think the owner of a weapon that's used in a crime such as this shouldnt be held accountable? If that kid was driving his parents car and plowed into a crowd wouldnt they bear some responsibility? Whats different?
    a fucking kid steels his dad's car keys & car then plowed into a group of kids. a lot of kids know their mom or dad's debit card pin number. the kid steels the card, withdrawls $50, gives it to an older friend or whomever can buy alcohol, they get hammered & the kid drives killing everyone in a head on collision.

the parents should go to prison

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    start teaching gun safety asap. put down the fucking xbox & the other stupid ass shit & join the real world called growing the hell up

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    & yes unsung is correct. today kids more than ever are pampered & catered to. it's unreal how soft folks are. congratulations

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Kids cannot take zeroes for assignments not turned in and cannot lose marks for late submissions in our school district.

Everybody gets to be Einstein!
This discussion has been closed.