Official Stupid Questions Thread

Comments

• SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

Back to the point of this thread.....

Clearly, he would lose on "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?"
    ELITIST FUK
    How much time must pass before something is considered vintage?
    ELITIST FUK
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

Back to the point of this thread.....

Oh good heavens!! I'm going to be nice and say nothing at all!!
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    How does a thermos know weather a drink is hot or cold?
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Why do people always say things could be worse?
    Things could be fucking better too!
    Why do people ask 'why' to questions no one can answer.. i.e. Why are we here?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    SD48277 said:

not sure...'classic rock' is anything over 20-25 years old
    but I did see some 90s concert shirts at the thrift store, and they were labeled 'vintage'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    lolobugg said:

That is a good plan. Learning another language expands your horizon and it is fun to do as well.

It was funny when I studied in Finland. Everybody understood the Americans because they only spoke English. Everybody else was able to switch to another language if they didn't want everybody to understand what they were talking about. There was one American in our Finnish class. Zack. He was in love with a Finnish girl and wanted to leran a bit of the language to woo her :) But he was the only one.

So another question - would you consider it as an advantage or a disadvantage that as an English speaker almost everybody understands what you say, everywhere?

That is a great question...... one of the reasons that I was hesitant to visit Europe was that I was afraid that I would not be able to communicate. I was looking at the "Nordic" countries and planning on attending some PJ shows there because I had heard that they could and enjoyed speaking fluent English in some cases.

I think it would be an advantage if you were traveling abroad. But I know what you mean about switching languages. Every time I go to an Mexican/Vietnamese/Chinese/Japanese etc. restaurant and they switch to their native language, the paranoia in me thinks that they are talking shit about me. :))
    I would at least attempt to speak the 'native language' of a foreign country I was visiting...and lolo, they *are* talking about you... image
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    RKCNDY said:

I would at least attempt to speak the 'native language' of a foreign country I was visiting...and lolo, they *are* talking about you... image

Same here (though I'm FUCKED if I ever visit Greece or anywhere in Asia).

I actually preferred my sorry tries at European languages - French is the only one I know - and I think the residents appreciated it. Hell, they even helped guide me to proper phrases, pronunciations, etc.
    lolo, I swear there's a Seinfeld or King of Queens with the language/talking about you scenario.

It's funny - my mom is Persian but my skin/hair/eyes reflect my father's German heritage. Was a time years ago I was on the elevator in my building (large Iranian contingent) and a woman said a phrase that I recognized to her friend. I commented on it - their faces were priceless.
    I used to be able to speak Dane, know done Spanish, some Creole, and thus a tiny bit if Cajun..
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    RKCNDY said:

lolobugg said:

That is a good plan. Learning another language expands your horizon and it is fun to do as well.

It was funny when I studied in Finland. Everybody understood the Americans because they only spoke English. Everybody else was able to switch to another language if they didn't want everybody to understand what they were talking about. There was one American in our Finnish class. Zack. He was in love with a Finnish girl and wanted to leran a bit of the language to woo her :) But he was the only one.

So another question - would you consider it as an advantage or a disadvantage that as an English speaker almost everybody understands what you say, everywhere?

That is a great question...... one of the reasons that I was hesitant to visit Europe was that I was afraid that I would not be able to communicate. I was looking at the "Nordic" countries and planning on attending some PJ shows there because I had heard that they could and enjoyed speaking fluent English in some cases.

I think it would be an advantage if you were traveling abroad. But I know what you mean about switching languages. Every time I go to an Mexican/Vietnamese/Chinese/Japanese etc. restaurant and they switch to their native language, the paranoia in me thinks that they are talking shit about me. :))
    I wish they made us learn another language in school here the way they seemed to make everyone in Europe learn English. I got the Rosetta Stone program and it really, really, really works. I was able to communicate a lot better with my friend's visiting friend (who spoke no English) than I would have otherwise. It's worth mentioning that I only did a very small portion of the lessons before giving it up. I wanted to start it up again because my college had a language requirement but if you can pass a test they waive it, but I never found the time.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    I don't know if this is a stupid question or more of a "the fuck?" deal...

...but what is up with this show on TLC - "My Strange Addiction".

Happened upon this a few minutes ago. One guy is addicted to eating plastic bags, and a woman has a creepy doll as her best friend. Like carrying it around with her, insisting her boyfriend acknowledge the doll.

Future episodes include mattress-eating, make-up eating, plastic surgery to look like Beiber.

Fucking weird show...and people.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    hedonist said:

I don't know if this is a stupid question or more of a "the fuck?" deal...

...but what is up with this show on TLC - "My Strange Addiction".

Happened upon this a few minutes ago. One guy is addicted to eating plastic bags, and a woman has a creepy doll as her best friend. Like carrying it around with her, insisting her boyfriend acknowledge the doll.

Future episodes include mattress-eating, make-up eating, plastic surgery to look like Beiber.

Fucking weird show...and people.

Those people are giving degenerates a bad name
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    hedonist said:

lolo, I swear there's a Seinfeld or King of Queens with the language/talking about you scenario.

Yes on both and both involving nail salons. Seinfeld is the "stop short" episode. Elaine enlists Frank's assistance in eaves dropping on the Korean women working in the shop. :))

Carrie, on the King of Queens, can't seem to book a nail appointment in any salon in town. She's sure that the Asian women are talking about her. :))
    Hobbes!

^:)^
    Why is it still called Trick or Treat when in today's America if you would happen to trick someone an their feelings were hurt you'd end up getting sued?

I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Just catching up on the thread again. You guys are awesome. I REALLY want to learn another language. I don't know if I had the discipline to do it. As for Seinfeld, I somehow missed out on it. I need to go back and watch it. I absolutely love Larry David and Curb Your Enthusiasm. I assume it is the same type of humor based on the scenarios you guys are talking about. :))

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Yup, same humor, same un-PCness. You've got a lot of catching up to do, but well worth it!
    RKCNDY said:

SD48277 said:

not sure...'classic rock' is anything over 20-25 years old
    but I did see some 90s concert shirts at the thrift store, and they were labeled 'vintage'
    Seeing concert shirts from the 90s listed on ebay as "vintage" is what prompted this question. The 90s were 20 (more and less) years ago, not 120 years ago. Just seems wrong.
    ELITIST FUK
    Should MTV have the Video Music Awards since they no longer show music videos?
    ELITIST FUK
    hedonist said:

Yup, same humor, same un-PCness. You've got a lot of catching up to do, but well worth it!

sounds like a degenerate's dream :D

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

SD48277 said:

A Resounding NO!!!
    in fact MTV should just go off the air.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

SD48277 said:

A Resounding NO!!!
    in fact MTV should just go off the air.
    ^^^My feeling, exactly. Enough of the sweet 16 and pregnant from the Jersey Shore shows.
    ELITIST FUK
  • yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661

Does it take 18 months for twins to be born?

Funniest post ever

:))
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Did Adam and Eve have belly buttons?
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728

Did Adam and Eve have belly buttons?

I'm gonna go no, but that's based on science...
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    Sometimes when someone does something wrong and you try and tell them the right way..

They respond by saying "Ya, I knew that"

Apparently, No you didn't know that

Why ?
    yellowwho said:

Sometimes when someone does something wrong and you try and tell them the right way..

Why ?

This reminds me of this...,you see someone you know and kindly ask "how are you doing?". Their reply: "how are you?"...I asked first, answer my question. I feel like keeping the loop going at times
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

yellowwho said:

Why ?

This reminds me of this...,you see someone you know and kindly ask "how are you doing?". Their reply: "how are you?"...I asked first, answer my question. I feel like keeping the loop going at times
    yeah would it really kill them to answer the question by prefacing it with "good/bad"

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

This discussion has been closed.