Options

*** Cincinnati Fanviews Here 10/1/14 ***

Comments

• Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 785
    Arrived about 3:15...swung by Wishlist pre-party - good vibe there. Caught river taxi over to check out Merch- waited about 40 minutes and laughed at the ppl complaining as this was nothing like 4+ hours at Wrigley. Heard part of sound check by Merch booth...The Real Me, Sleeping By Myself, and Elderly Woman. I missed the other songs. Headed back to pre-party area and tucked my haul (poster, bag, and lapel pin) into my car. Caught river taxi again at about 6:45 and got to my TM seat at 7:15. Chatted with a first timer sitting next to me and enjoyed the show. Happy to catch 6 or so first songs on my 10th PJ show. Hasn't been said yet, but Stone destroyed RITFW - in a good way. From my seat, sound was good all night. I thought the overall vibe was better than Pitt last year. I had a great time at both. Sitting now in my StL hotel waiting for 10 C tix tomorrow. Keep on Rockin'...
  • Options

How was the early merch tent crowd? Im just curious if the lines were crazy. Ill be at the STL show and want to get a poster ahead of time but dont really want to spend 2 hours in line.

Go early. I didn't even get to see the poster, let alone get one, until I got home after the show. Enjoy it tomorrow!
    Cols, OH 03-31-1992
    Cuyahoga Falls, OH 08-26-1998
    Cols, OH 08-21-2000
    Cols, OH 06-24-2003
    Cin, OH 06-24-2006
    Cols, OH 05-06-2010
    Pitt, PA 10-11-2013
    Cin, OH 10-01-2014
    Lexington, KY 04-26-2016

"It's already been sung, but it can't be said enough, 'All you need is love.'" LBC
  • Options
    Hey alizmi, my fellow PJ zombie, how was the flight home? Get any sleep yet? Have fun in TN!
    Cols, OH 03-31-1992
    Cols, OH 08-21-2000
    Cols, OH 06-24-2003
    Cin, OH 06-24-2006
    Cols, OH 05-06-2010
    Pitt, PA 10-11-2013
    Cin, OH 10-01-2014
    Lexington, KY 04-26-2016

"It's already been sung, but it can't be said enough, 'All you need is love.'" LBC
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

Anybody know exactly how long Ed's been playing the white Gibson SG? I feel like it's been a decade but I don't know...half sad and half amped that he smashed it!

Guitars have been known to be fixed...
    Looked like the neck split from what I saw, but it happened fast and I wasn't close enough to say for sure. If so, I'd say that guitar is gone.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Ill do my best. I wont be selling my merch on ebay either. Ive got a place already picked out in my basement.
    2009 Chicago
    2013 Wrigley
    2014 St. Louis
    2016 Wrigley 1
    2018 Wrigley 1
    2022 EV Chicago, St. Louis
    2023: Chicago 1,2

"How I choose to feel is how I am, and I feel fucking awesome" - Gleason
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Front row Mikee side next to the stage. 8 picks from Mikee, eddie poured me some Jesus juice, partied all show with Sean Casey (who happened to know EVERY SONG), ya, I would say it was a very fucken awesome night for me. Darryl, you are one cool ass dude! And a shout out to Andrew for taking me along on this 9+ fucken hour drive but it was 100% worth it.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    During Betterman, did anyone else:
    A) Really wish Ed would have let the audience sing during the first part?
    B) Have a really, warm happy feeling, thanks to the blue lights and the whole general feel?
    C) Flash back to the "Tom Petty would never..." Gorge bit?

All, some, or none of the above?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 512
    There is merch inside. Dont stand in that insane line. I get it if youre ga though and you are fighting for space.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Anybody know exactly how long Ed's been playing the white Gibson SG? I feel like it's been a decade but I don't know...half sad and half amped that he smashed it!

Looked like the neck split from what I saw, but it happened fast and I wasn't close enough to say for sure. If so, I'd say that guitar is gone.
    There's a picture floating around facebook...
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Front row Mikee side next to the stage. 8 picks from Mikee, eddie poured me some Jesus juice, partied all show with Sean Casey (who happened to know EVERY SONG), ya, I would say it was a very fucken awesome night for me. Darryl, you are one cool ass dude! And a shout out to Andrew for taking me along on this 9+ fucken hour drive but it was 100% worth it.

Nice! I found out last year that any travel time is worth seeing these guys live. And you sat next to Casey the whole show?!? Too cool, dude. Too cool. Another former Reds player who loves PJ: Bronson Arroyo. I love the crossovers with this band and sports! Best fan to band relations in the industry!
    Cols, OH 03-31-1992
    Cols, OH 08-21-2000
    Cols, OH 06-24-2003
    Cin, OH 06-24-2006
    Cols, OH 05-06-2010
    Pitt, PA 10-11-2013
    Cin, OH 10-01-2014
    Lexington, KY 04-26-2016

• Options
    This was epic!!!! I travelled 20 hours on greyhound from Boston to be at this show. I got high fives after the show from Jeff, Boom and Mike. Ed was limping. I was on the side of the stage and he had trouble with the stairs, but, man he pushed right through it. He was a warrior last night. He knew tonight was special and the people of Cincinnati appreciate him pushin through. Shit he smashed a guitar on stage.....LEGENDARY!
  • Options

badbrains said:

Nice! I found out last year that any travel time is worth seeing these guys live. And you sat next to Casey the whole show?!? Too cool, dude. Too cool. Another former Reds player who loves PJ: Bronson Arroyo. I love the crossovers with this band and sports! Best fan to band relations in the industry!
    Casey was standing in front of me in my sec most of the show. Had a "bromance moment" during porch when at the end Sean high fived me and didn't let go of my hand as we sang the ending. The guy is such a SUPER fucken cool guy. As for Bronson, FUCK him. He must of known I'm a Yankees fan.
  • Options

During Betterman, did anyone else:
    A) Really wish Ed would have let the audience sing during the first part?
    B) Have a really, warm happy feeling, thanks to the blue lights and the whole general feel?
    C) Flash back to the "Tom Petty would never..." Gorge bit?

All, some, or none of the above?

I'm right there with you, Lost. Still loved it. I noticed that there was less prompting of the crowd by Ed, but there was really no need. Even with all of the reports of first timers in the audience! :p
    Cols, OH 03-31-1992
    Cols, OH 08-21-2000
    Cols, OH 06-24-2003
    Cin, OH 06-24-2006
    Cols, OH 05-06-2010
    Pitt, PA 10-11-2013
    Cin, OH 10-01-2014
    Lexington, KY 04-26-2016

• Options
    Casey was standing in front of me in my sec most of the show. Had a "bromance moment" during porch when at the end Sean high fived me and didn't let go of my hand as we sang the ending. The guy is such a SUPER fucken cool guy. As for Bronson, FUCK him. He must of known I'm a Yankees fan.

Lol! Yankees passion > Pearl Jam passion? I mean, I'm a Bears fan, but if I sat next to Aaron Rodgers or Jordy Nelson at a PJ show, they'd instantly become that much cooler, y'know? But screw 'em on game day. Lol!
    Cols, OH 03-31-1992
    Cols, OH 08-21-2000
    Cols, OH 06-24-2003
    Cin, OH 06-24-2006
    Cols, OH 05-06-2010
    Pitt, PA 10-11-2013
    Cin, OH 10-01-2014
    Lexington, KY 04-26-2016

• Options
    DPAttyDPAtty Posts: 58

. Dunno if others saw it, but during Mike's Star Spangled solo, Ed and Stone were off to the rear of the stage behind the drum kit watching. Ed was just staring around at the crowd like he'd never been at an arena show. Just soaking it in, ya know. He was behind Stone and put his hand on his shoulder and Stone patted him back. It looked like a genuine, "can you believe we have this job?!" moment.

I was in GA dead center, about 5 "rows" back, and noticed that too. I interpreted it as you did, but to me, it was also a simple gesture of genuine affection, in both directions. Seeing the look on Stone's face as he gently patted Ed's hand, and the love expressed without a word between both guys was one of the highlights of the night for me in a night filled with them. Member 167xxx, but have been shut out of 10c tix every time since the lottery system was implemented, so I requested GA 1st, and reserved seating 2nd, ended up with GA. Wife and I came down from Cbus the night before, got in line around noon-ish. Never been front and center pit for a show, and wanted to experience it, notwithstanding the wait in line and approximately 8+ hours I spent on my feet yesterday (3+ hrs for the show, 2+ hrs in line for merch tent, 30 mins for tix, 3 hrs between GA doors opening and start of show). Not sure what the complaints are about re the GA line, but we found it quite simple and organized enough while we waited. Took our chairs, merch and assorted other shit to the car around 5, and the GA line started entering as promised right around 5:30. The worst part was the 3 hr wait on our feet (with some sitting on the floor) after we entered the venue but before the show started. When the show started, all the waiting was worth it. Crazy energy from the crowd--as Ed remarked at least twice, it was just really positive energy that was palpable. Black is always an emotional song for me, and last night didn't disappoint. Stone slayed RITFW. Great to hear Of The Girl, even though I agree with comments on here stating the bass was not prominent. Was hoping they might play Future Days, and Come Back like they did in Cbus 2010. But the set list as a whole was a work of art itself--tent poles + some deep cuts + some covers that had meaning for the particular venue and city, with at least one song from each studio album to boot. I'll leave it to others to identify how often that happens, but it seems like that wouldn't be all that common at this point with so many albums to cover. Anyway, work today sucked ass big time, with only 2 hrs of sleep and no voice, but whatever--I finally got to experience the pit, and it was unforgettable. Thanks to the band, thanks to 10C for the tix, thanks to the great people we hung out with outside in line and in the pit...love to all, and safe travels to ya bastids who are hitting other shows on this tour!

"But first he was stripped and then he was stabbed by faceless men, well, fuckers, he still stands!"
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a spring time ahead..."
    "'You're still alive,' she said.  Oh, and do I deserve to be?  Is that the question?  And if so...if so...who answers?...who answers?" 
    "I believe, and I believe 'cuz I can see our future days. Days of you and me."

1998.08.26 Cleveland/Cuyahoga Falls; 2000.10.14 Houston; 2000.10.15 Houston; 2003.04.06 Houston;
    2004.10.02 Toledo; 2006.05.20 Cleveland; 2006.05.22 Auburn Hills; 2010.05.06 Columbus;
    2010.05.09 Cleveland; 2014.10.01 Cincinnati; 2016.04.26 Lexington; 2018.08.18 Chicago N1;
    2018.08.18 Chicago N2; 2022.09.08 Toronto; 2022.09.22 Denver; 2023.09.10 Noblesville, IN
  • Options
    Nice moment with Casey! Awesome!
    Cols, OH 03-31-1992
    Cols, OH 08-21-2000
    Cols, OH 06-24-2003
    Cin, OH 06-24-2006
    Cols, OH 05-06-2010
    Pitt, PA 10-11-2013
    Cin, OH 10-01-2014
    Lexington, KY 04-26-2016

• Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    alizmi said:

How was the early merch tent crowd? Im just curious if the lines were crazy. Ill be at the STL show and want to get a poster ahead of time but dont really want to spend 2 hours in line.

Merch line was ridiculous. I heard it was 2-3 hours long. I didn't end up with anything.
    We waited until we got inside. No issues at all maybe 5-10 minute wait. All four of us got shirts and two pins. Stickers were gone.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    Insanity. Unless it was for Pearl Jam vinyl, I wouldn't wait in a merch line for longer than 10 minutes.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dogtowndogtown Posts: 118
    edited October 2014
    alizmi said:

Merch line was ridiculous. I heard it was 2-3 hours long. I didn't end up with anything.
    Was there any merch available inside the venue right before the show? (Never mind- I see people saying there was. I'll take my chances in Memphis, I'd rather enjoy the city and risk not adding to my extensive black PJ hoodie collection)
    Post edited by dogtown on
  • Options

Picks I grabbed from the show last night
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Mr Red's first baseman Sean Casey and I rocking out last night

• Options
    Thanks for the Jesus juice hahaha
  • Options
    Ladies and gentlemen, Mr McCready
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

There's a picture floating around facebook...
    What picture is that? Can you post it here?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    badbrains said:

Haha yeah I'm used to that site glad you got to do it !!!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    alizmializmi Baltimore...MD Posts: 196

Hey alizmi, my fellow PJ zombie, how was the flight home? Get any sleep yet? Have fun in TN!

I didn't get to sleep until about 6:00 and I had a 7:55 flight. Holy shit what a night! I wish that night would never have ended!!! MEMPHIS!
  • Options
    alizmializmi Baltimore...MD Posts: 196
    dogtown said:

alizmi said:

Was there any merch available inside the venue right before the show? (Never mind- I see people saying there was. I'll take my chances in Memphis, I'd rather enjoy the city and risk not adding to my extensive black PJ hoodie collection)
    Honestly once I got in the building I never left the rail til the show was over. I want to enjoy the city also. GA is amazing and I will try to get in many more times but it's an entire day to get the rail. Hit me up dog town. Let's plan Memphis!
  • Options

badbrains said:

Haha yeah I'm used to that site glad you got to do it !!!
    Jose! You're next buddy, we'll def do a show next tour no doubt my friend!
  • Options
    alizmi said:

I didn't get to sleep until about 6:00 and I had a 7:55 flight. Holy shit what a night! I wish that night would never have ended!!! MEMPHIS!
    Safe travels, my man! Rock out in Memphis!
    Cols, OH 03-31-1992
    Cols, OH 08-21-2000
    Cols, OH 06-24-2003
    Cin, OH 06-24-2006
    Cols, OH 05-06-2010
    Pitt, PA 10-11-2013
    Cin, OH 10-01-2014
    Lexington, KY 04-26-2016

• Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    edited October 2014
    Loved the positive vibes flowing throughout the show last night. Early on I could definitely tell this was going to be a more upbeat show and figured something like Satan's Bed would not be on the set list, which obviously it wasn't.

I was sitting behind the stage and wanted to point out a pretty cool moment. During Corduroy where the lyric changes to "Can't buy what I want because it's PEACE," nearly everyone in GA raised their hands up with the peace sign. The moment passed as fast as a lightning bolt, but it was a beautiful sea of spontaneous unification of a simple gesture that was packed with a ton of power. I'm mentioning it here because when everyone finally gets to listen to the bootleg, during Corduroy I think you'll hear Ed make an audible reaction to that moment. I certainly heard it last night. Sure, this has probably occurred at every other show, but it was an awesome moment last night and would've been a killer photograph. Yay Cincinnati.
    Post edited by PJ212 on
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1