Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    chadwick said:

rgambs, nicely done mr. vit c.

i know a commercial fisherman (dead now) but he was never sick

brianlux said:

callen said:

The planet as well as humanity could use an affective plague to knock out 60-70% of human population.

From a purely objective view point, this is absolutely true in terms of giving the planet a chance to restore a much better ecological balance. Or we could voluntarily stop reproducing in such great numbers but, as Dave Foreman pointed out in the documentary "Wilderness", that notion seems to have become politically incorrect. Too bad because if we don't do it, Mother Nature will.

Yeah population troubles are nasty. How do you tell a young couple that they are the ones who have to have only 1 kid or none...easy for the folks who have theirs to say lol not so easy to hear
    Of course, it's the unintentional childs we gotta stop, but PC aside it's still a toughy.
    If a mega-plague happens i hope it knocks society down far enough that we get back with nature. The worst would be for billions to die and our current nastiness continued.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    chadwick said:

rgambs, nicely done mr. vit c.

i know a commercial fisherman (dead now) but he was never sick

• Options
    aaaaahhh bullshit! Anyways i knew a few fellas same story...tougher than nails, never get sick, never go to drs...and then BAM! riddled with cancer, too bad for treatment, gone in months.
  • Options
    aaaaahhh bullshit! Anyways i knew a few fellas same story...tougher than nails, never get sick, never go to drs...and then BAM! riddled with cancer, too bad for treatment, gone in months.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    callen said:

The planet as well as humanity could use an affective plague to knock out 60-70% of human population.

I agree. It's almost starting to seem like a necessity, sad to say.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Well more than HALF of the population. Wow.

What if you were one of that percentage? Someone you love? Every person in your family, neighborhood, city, state.

Just surprised at the callousness - at least, that's how it strikes me.

If this is about overpopulation, how about people exercise responsibility when having sex, when deciding to have a child, or another child, without the means to do so? "I want to have a baby!" just doesn't cut it for me.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    lukin2006 said:
    This nurse wouldn't have Ebola if the government shut down non-essential travel from Western Africa. No one has guts in our government anymore.
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    hedonist said:

Gah! Been relying on the green vs Tylenol and Advil but have to go that route too this evening. I wish matzo-ball soup did more than comfort (though I'll take it!).

Shawshank, doesn't the excess of vitamin C - as with B - get flushed out once initially absorbed? I do swear by OJ though. Like a panacea sometimes.

The best way to combat any illness is to have a strong immune system. High doses of vitamin C, fermented cod liver oil, elderberry, echinacea, and vitamin D will keep you healthy and will lessen the impact of any illness, especially viruses.

Matzo soup (and any derivative of chicken soup) is really useful as bone broths provide a wide variety of benefits but it really should be homemade with pastured chicken. Over 80% of your immune system is in your gut; bad gut health = poor immune system
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrl said:

hedonist said:

Gah! Been relying on the green vs Tylenol and Advil but have to go that route too this evening. I wish matzo-ball soup did more than comfort (though I'll take it!).

Shawshank, doesn't the excess of vitamin C - as with B - get flushed out once initially absorbed? I do swear by OJ though. Like a panacea sometimes.

The best way to combat any illness is to have a strong immune system. High doses of vitamin C, fermented cod liver oil, elderberry, echinacea, and vitamin D will keep you healthy and will lessen the impact of any illness, especially viruses.

Matzo soup (and any derivative of chicken soup) is really useful as bone broths provide a wide variety of benefits but it really should be homemade with pastured chicken. Over 80% of your immune system is in your gut; bad gut health = poor immune system
    And many vitamins don't absorb well unless you have a good gut microbiome! To piggy back on the Paleo thread, there is a lot to be said for following a "traditional" diet. Although, I think traditionally prepared foods are more important than eschewing grains altogether. Check out Weston Price for great examples of a traditional diet that allows some grains and dairy.

I AM MINE
  • Options
    My goodness! I've missed you posting here, riotgrl.

Thank you for the information. Definitely need to up my intake of fruits / vitamin C, and reinstate the supplements.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,764
    Yes! Good to see you here, riotgrl!

My chiropractor (a really cool, smart guy) told me to take 5,000 IU Vitamin D-3 a day (plus my usual regimen of supplements) and if I feel a bug coming on up it to 50,000 IU's of D-3 twice a day for three or four days. It's worked a couple of times this year for me- the latest being a recent bought with a bug going around here that has really knocked some people down. I have a really trashed immune system from having had Epstein Bar virus in the late 80's yet with this recent bug, despite having three days of massive fatigue, I was only partially down part of one day and am coming back fast (did a 2 1/2 miles walk at 8,500 feet today). With winter coming on I'm going into a minimum of a couple of weeks of mostly organic juices, fruits, vegetables and a little protein but no grains and nothing even resembling processed food- not even my relatively healthy whole grain pancakes.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonist said:

My goodness! I've missed you posting here, riotgrl.

Thank you for the information. Definitely need to up my intake of fruits / vitamin C, and reinstate the supplements.

Thanks hedonist! I've missed you guys too :)

I AM MINE
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    Here in this hospital they have started to make preparations they have isolated two rooms for quarantine ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    lukin2006 said:
    Reuters is reporting that this nurse taken a flight with Frontier Airlines from Cleveland,Ohio to Dallas /Ft.Worth International on Monday before she had confirmation of diagnosis last night.
  • Options

lukin2006 said:
    Reuters is reporting that this nurse taken a flight with Frontier Airlines from Cleveland,Ohio to Dallas /Ft.Worth International on Monday before she had confirmation of diagnosis last night.
    There asking people who were on these flights to call the airline ...

it was only a matter of time before it was over here ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    edited October 2014
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

Yes, CDC is reported on Cnn as saying "She should not have travelled". They are also tracking down other passengers that were on these flights so they can "closely monitor them" The flights were Flight 1142 on Oct.10th to Ohio and Flight 1143 Oct. 13th to Dallas.
    Post edited by OMGkatwoman on
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

Yes, CDC is reported on Cnn as saying "She should not have travelled". They are also tracking down other passengers that were on these flights so they can "closely monitor them" The flights were Flight 1142 on Oct.10th to Ohio and Flight 1143 Oct. 13th to Dallas.
    A travel ban really needed to be put in place in the beginning those countries most effected.

Scary times ...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

A travel ban really needed to be put in place in the beginning those countries most effected.

Scary times ...
    Agreed...
  • Options
    lizabelle1217lizabelle1217 Central Jersey Posts: 222
    I haven't succumbed to the "oh no! panic! we're all going to die!" idea yet, but I'm torn.
    The fact that NBC medical correspondent, Dr. Nancy Snyderman didn't follow through with the "voluntary confinement"/quarantine that she agreed to is a little concerning to me. She lives very near to where I live and where she went out, in "violation" of her confinement, is even closer to where I work. Though it's not airborne, there are still concerns about this disease. I'm really surprised that a woman who is so prominent in the overall story line of Ebola in the US did not adhere to the guidelines that she voluntarily agreed to. Wouldn't she have guessed that it would caused public concern? Don't you think she has people at her disposal that would go out and pick up take-out dinner for her?
    It's an odd feeling... I don't really want to be that concerned about it, but hearing about this from people around me makes me think a little bit more about it.
    Flying to MN tomorrow... Should we wear masks?? Sheesh. The world we live in...
  • Options
    Flying in for the St.Paul show? I live in Mn. Welcome! Tomorrow will be nice temp around 70.
  • Options
    lizabelle1217lizabelle1217 Central Jersey Posts: 222
    Yup! Flying in early, driving to Moline (still hoping to land a pair of tix), and then back to MN for Sunday!!! Can't freaking wait! :D
  • Options
    Enjoy the shows! :)
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,914
    Full body condoms .
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    Man what a shit show this has become ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

Man what a shit show this has become ...

I couldn't agree more
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The new spokesman for the CDC ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNOrp_83RU
  • Options
    I think a greater concern is how unprepared our hospitals are for illnesses this highly contagious. I was reading an article today that said we only have 4 (!) hospitals that have biocontainment facilities to handle illnesses such as ebola. I am not a panic kind of person but I think that is a cause for concern IF ebola (or another highly infectious disease) were to hit epidemic proportions in this country.

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrl said:

I think a greater concern is how unprepared our hospitals are for illnesses this highly contagious. I was reading an article today that said we only have 4 (!) hospitals that have biocontainment facilities to handle illnesses such as ebola. I am not a panic kind of person but I think that is a cause for concern IF ebola (or another highly infectious disease) were to hit epidemic proportions in this country.

And out of those four hospitals something like only 16 beds available total. Unreal!
  • Options
    There are so many causes for concern, it's ridiculous.

A news report I just heard mentioned part of the problem is the (unneeded, unrecommended?) over-layering of protection...how it becomes difficult to both put them on and remove. Seems it'd be easy for some kind of contact to occur, no matter how unintentional.

As for the nurse, shame on her. Shame on anyone else who disregards protocol and common sense.