Comments

• Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    Not to show off my tin foil hat or anything...but shit's about to get real. This is not going to end well at all.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Scary disease. Scary shit. How the hell do you hide from this?
  • Options

Scary disease. Scary shit. How the hell do you hide from this?

No contact with anyone. Don't fly. Don't go in public places. Keep your kids out of school. Live like a hermit. I don't know. That's all I can think of. Pray that it doesn't make another mutation and become airborne.

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I think instead of watching a horror movie this evening I may throw in the Classic Dustin Hoffman movie Outbreak followed by Matt fucking Damon in Contagion.
  • Options
    How about maybe travel restrictions from Africa to USA ,requiring a pre boarding screening of some type.Its the air travel that will spread this shit fast.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

How about maybe travel restrictions from Africa to USA ,requiring a pre boarding screening of some type.Its the air travel that will spread this shit fast.

That's all well and good if they don't go to another country first. Until that continent is quarantined, it won't matter what travel restrictions we implement. The bad part is, whoever this is in Dallas, has been traveling all over, probably exposing hundreds of people and those folks won't have symptoms for another 2 or 3 weeks. This is just the beginning I'm afraid.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I remember reading The Hot Zone years ago, and being freaked out at how it can destroy the body and spread so quickly. Seemed so remote for it to hit the US.

Scary shit. Hopefully he didn't expose others in that time.

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    You know what my aunt said which was funny, she said they should get someone with ebola and stick them right amongst the isis and wipe them all out ;)) i know i shouldnt laugh but i couldnt help it....
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    American hygiene and low population density is going to keep the risk of serious outbreak low here. No need to get scared if everyone washes their hands!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    harder to catch than the flu & is spread through bodily fluids, blood & such. if you have a cut on hand & the ebola having person has cut on hand, do not shake hands, kiss & have sex no condom
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!! THERE WILL BE NO REFUNDS!!! YOUR REFUND WILL BE ESCAPING THIS DEATHTRAP WITH YOUR LIFE!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU0PijNCEwo
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,635
    edited September 2014
    Seems a little early to freak out. Ebola spreads via bodily fluids like blood, spit, and shit. In many places in Africa conditions are such that contagion is much easier, i.e. poor sanitation and very close quarter living conditions. In the US that is not the case. It's entirely possible - maybe most likely - that this guy didn't spread it to anyone. (edit - as I see others have already mentioned)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!! THERE WILL BE NO REFUNDS!!! YOUR REFUND WILL BE ESCAPING THIS DEATHTRAP WITH YOUR LIFE!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU0PijNCEwo

IFL that scene, him running around being classic Will!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    edited October 2014
    I say have a 21 day quarantine before anyone from Africa is allowed to fly to the United States. Lets focus on solving the epidemic in Africa and not have to worry about the rest of the world too.
  • Options
    I don't understand the violence toward those researching and treating those infected. And there appears to be a horrible stigma attached to those who have had it and are now cured.

Just sad.
  • Options
    Just like those trying to deliver polio vaccines, evil people in power want to stay in power and spread lies about vaccines being harmful.
  • Options
    Not to downplay the severity of its devastation, but it's almost hilarious - just saw a news promo kicking off with EBOLA IS HERE.

I tried to find it online, but I watched a piece recently of two guys in their late teens who created a simple strip test for it. If I locate it, I'll post it. They rocked!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    Look everybody, there's nothing... *cough*... to worry abou... *wheeze*... it's... *cough, cough*... 8-X
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    brianlux said:

Look everybody, there's nothing... *cough*... to worry abou... *wheeze*... it's... *cough, cough*... 8-X

bless you ! :\">
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Not to downplay the severity of its devastation, but it's almost hilarious - just saw a news promo kicking off with EBOLA IS HERE.

I tried to find it online, but I watched a piece recently of two guys in their late teens who created a simple strip test for it. If I locate it, I'll post it. They rocked!

What did they say about the strip test? Do you must have symptomes to get a result?
    Great for this young guys, hopefully they can get it fixed soon!
    :-S
  • Options
    kce8 said:

hedonist said:

What did they say about the strip test? Do you must have symptomes to get a result?
    Found it! Their still trying to raise funds and I'm sure there's a ways to go, but kudos to them!
    http://news.emory.edu/stories/2014/09/er_freshmen_build_ebola_test/campus.html
  • Options
    hedonist said:

kce8 said:

hedonist said:

Found it! Their still trying to raise funds and I'm sure there's a ways to go, but kudos to them!
    http://news.emory.edu/stories/2014/09/er_freshmen_build_ebola_test/campus.html
    Thank you hedonist !
    Think I will read it tomorrow bc it´s so late - Too tired now for this long english report.
    Great to see some young guys making such good work ! :)>-
  • Options
    Looking at multiple articles from a wide variety of sources (and I've tried to stick with fairly reliable sources, definitely avoiding the gossipy kind), this is yet another issue that raises many questions with little consensus of answers. From what I've read, the opinions range anywhere from saying Ebola will mutate and becoming air borne leading to pandemic to the disease being fairly easy to contain in the US and other countries. I don't know what to believe. When AIDS first struck my mother (who was not at all prone to scandals or gossip) was working as a lab technologist in a well respected Bay Area hospital and she was convinced that AIDS would become air borne before the end of the the 20th century. That did not happen. So who knows. Probably the best thing would be to restrict travel in and out of countries where the disease is spreading quickly, quarantine those infected, work on solving the spread of the disease in Africa (as bootlegger1o suggested) and use common sense about hygiene. And in the mean time, appreciate life and have a good time.

Other thoughts?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I am not a doctor nor do I claim to have any knowledge of mutations to viruses::::::

I do not think it will become airborne. The government loves media driven panics. Remember when an oil refinery in the gulf was damaged by hurricane Katrina? One week later, gas prices soared over $2.00 more/gallon.
  • Options

I am not a doctor nor do I claim to have any knowledge of mutations to viruses::::::

I do not think it will become airborne. The government loves media driven panics. Remember when an oil refinery in the gulf was damaged by hurricane Katrina? One week later, gas prices soared over $2.00 more/gallon.

Someone always capitalizes on this sort of thing, that's for sure.

• Options
    Every time someone gets a virus, that virus mutates in some form before moving onto the next person. In most cases the virus doesn't make major mutations...but it is for all intents and purposes...a great example of evolution.

As the mutations occur new vaccines have to be developed. As the mutations occur symptoms may change or become more severe. While yes...HIV and AIDS could eventually mutate to become airborne...it seems to me it would take much longer. Not as many people are going to be exposed to it and it's not as east to catch as ebola. The more people that get ebola, which is fairly easily spread, the more mutations that can occur, and the chances of it becoming airborne grow exponentially.

Technically, ebola is capable of being airborne now. You wouldn't want to walk through the air someone sneezed or coughed in recently. You wouldn't want to touch something that still has their sweat on it. They said on CBS news last night the virus can remain viable outside the body for many minutes...up to hours depending on conditions. At this point as long as the environment is not dessicated, the virus can still be infectious.
  • Options
    I don't understand the screenings at airports when there is a 21 day window before someone shows symptoms. The guy that flew to Dallas from Liberia is a perfect example that those screenings are meaningless (obviously they can catch someone with symptoms at the moment). The screenings should identify those with Ebola and those who don't, just like a metal detector is supposed to identify those with metal and those who don't.
  • Options

I don't understand the screenings at airports when there is a 21 day window before someone shows symptoms. The guy that flew to Dallas from Liberia is a perfect example that those screenings are meaningless (obviously they can catch someone with symptoms at the moment). The screenings should identify those with Ebola and those who don't, just like a metal detector is supposed to identify those with metal and those who don't.

They are trying to put the public at ease that they have something which can quickly spiral out of control...under control. Nothing more. Nothing less. The screenings won't do shit unless the person is feverish and has other symptoms...which as we all know...takes roughly 21 days to manifest. How are they going to control the movement of people on days 1 through 20? We still aren't 100% sure that it's not communicable before symptoms present themselves.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Saw more then a few people while traveling with little white masks.
  • Options
    Shawshank said:

Every time someone gets a virus, that virus mutates in some form before moving onto the next person. In most cases the virus doesn't make major mutations...but it is for all intents and purposes...a great example of evolution.

As the mutations occur new vaccines have to be developed. As the mutations occur symptoms may change or become more severe. While yes...HIV and AIDS could eventually mutate to become airborne...it seems to me it would take much longer. Not as many people are going to be exposed to it and it's not as east to catch as ebola. The more people that get ebola, which is fairly easily spread, the more mutations that can occur, and the chances of it becoming airborne grow exponentially.

Technically, ebola is capable of being airborne now. You wouldn't want to walk through the air someone sneezed or coughed in recently. You wouldn't want to touch something that still has their sweat on it. They said on CBS news last night the virus can remain viable outside the body for many minutes...up to hours depending on conditions. At this point as long as the environment is not dessicated, the virus can still be infectious.

From what I've heard, it no more easily spread than HIV. The only way to get is from bodily fluids, no?