Options

Ebola

Comments

• Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018

From what I've heard, it no more easily spread than HIV. The only way to get is from bodily fluids, no?

Depends on who's talking. The Dr. on the CBS Evening News last night clearly stated that you CAN possibly get it if someone sneezes, because it's in the droplets and you can breathe those in. He also said that you can get it from simple fluids like sweat and saliva, and that if you rub your eye, or nose after contacting it, you can get it that way. Neither of those scenarios spread HIV from what I've heard. As long as the environment the virus is in is not dessicated then it is still infectious.

• Options
    And also they said on the news last night something that I hadn't thought of, and made me feel at least a little better. Ebola usually kills because of dehydration which causes organ failure along with bleeding out internally. Here in the US we have ways to treat all of the symptoms that kill people with Ebola. Anti-coagulation, we can give them blood clotters. Dehydration, we can give them IV fluids. Etc. etc.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    http://www.vox.com/2014/10/1/6878695/ebola-virus-outbreak-symptoms

How you can get Ebola

1) You can get the virus if you have "direct contact" with a range of bodily fluids from a sick person, including blood, saliva, breast milk, stool, sweat, semen, tears, vomit, and urine. "Direct contact" means these fluids need to get into your broken skin (such as a wound) or touch your mucous membranes (mouth, nose, eyes, vagina).

2) So you can get Ebola by kissing or sharing food with someone who is infectious.

3) Mothers with Ebola can give the disease to their babies. Ebola spreads through breastfeeding — even after recovery from the disease. As one study put it, "It seems prudent to advise breastfeeding mothers who survive (Ebola) to avoid breastfeeding for at least some weeks after recovery and to provide them with alternative means of feeding their infants."

4) You can get Ebola through sex with an Ebola patient. The virus has been able to live in semen up to 82 days after a patient became symptomatic, which means sexual transmission — even with someone who has survived the disease for months — is possible.

5) You can get the virus by eating wild animals infected with Ebola or coming into contact with their bodily fluids. The fruit bat is believed to be the animal reservoir for Ebola, and when it's prepared for a meal or eaten raw, people get sick.

So you can get the virus through exposure to bat secretions. However, if you cook a bat infected with Ebola and then eat it, you won't get sick because the virus dies during cooking.

6) You can get Ebola through contact with an infected surface. Though Ebola is easily killed with disinfectants like bleach, if it isn't caught, it can live outside the body on, say, a doorknob or counter top, for several hours. In body fluids, like blood, the virus can survive for several days. So you'd need to touch an infected surface, and then put your hands in your mouth and eyes.

This is why the funerals of Ebola victims are problematic. Someone who has died from the virus will have a very high viral load. Since the virus can live in bodily fluids on their body, if you participate in the ritual washing of an Ebola victim and then touch your hands to your face, you could get the virus.

7) You could also get the virus by working in a biosafety-level-4 lab that studies Ebola, touching lab specimens, and then putting your contaminated hands in your mouth, eyes or a cut.

8) You can get Ebola by being pricked with a needle or syringe that has been contaminated with the virus. This has been a source of transmission for health workers, but unless you're sharing needles with Ebola victims, this isn't likely.

How you can't get Ebola

1) You can't get Ebola from someone who is not already sick. The virus only turns up in people's bodily fluids after a person starts to feel ill, and only then can they spread it to another person.

This is why health officials say they are not worried about the other passengers on the Texas patient's flight into the United States. At that time, the patient was asymptomatic and therefore not a risk to those around him.

2) You can't get Ebola from mosquitoes. The CDC says, "Only mammals (for example, humans, bats, monkeys and apes) have shown the ability to spread and become infected with Ebola virus."

3) You usually can't get Ebola through coughing or sneezing. The virus isn't airborne, thankfully, and experts expect that it will never become airborne. But, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said, "If a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person's eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease." This happens rarely and usually only affects health workers or those caring for the sick.

The bottom line: Ebola is difficult to catch

As you'll probably have noted, Ebola isn't very easy to transmit. The scenarios under which it spreads are very specific. And Ebola doesn't spread quickly, either. A mathematical epidemiologist who studies Ebola wrote in the Washington Post, "The good news is that Ebola has a lower reproductive rate than measles in the pre-vaccination days or the Spanish flu." He found that each Ebola case produces between 1.3 and 1.8 secondary cases. That means an Ebola victim usually only infects about one other person. Compare that with measles, which creates 17 secondary cases.

If you do the math, that means a single case in the US could lead to one or two others, but since we have robust public health measures here, it probably won't go further than that. Compare that to West Africa, which is now dealing with upwards of 6,000 cases in a completely broken health system. That's where experts say the worry about Ebola should be placed.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,638
    edited October 2014

Shawshank said:

Every time someone gets a virus, that virus mutates in some form before moving onto the next person. In most cases the virus doesn't make major mutations...but it is for all intents and purposes...a great example of evolution.

As the mutations occur new vaccines have to be developed. As the mutations occur symptoms may change or become more severe. While yes...HIV and AIDS could eventually mutate to become airborne...it seems to me it would take much longer. Not as many people are going to be exposed to it and it's not as east to catch as ebola. The more people that get ebola, which is fairly easily spread, the more mutations that can occur, and the chances of it becoming airborne grow exponentially.

Technically, ebola is capable of being airborne now. You wouldn't want to walk through the air someone sneezed or coughed in recently. You wouldn't want to touch something that still has their sweat on it. They said on CBS news last night the virus can remain viable outside the body for many minutes...up to hours depending on conditions. At this point as long as the environment is not dessicated, the virus can still be infectious.

From what I've heard, it no more easily spread than HIV. The only way to get is from bodily fluids, no?
    Not at all like HIV. I.e. you could get ebola just from kissing someone with the disease or if they sneezed in you mouth or something (gross). It spreads more like a cold does (not nearly as communicable supposedly), AND in the ways in which HIV is spread. Double whammy I suppose. Still, I see this as no threat in the US at all. Way more people in the US alone die of the flu every year than those who have died of this ebola outbreak worldwide. Perspective. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Just read that there is a nurse in Madrid who is the first who get Ebola in Europe......shit :(
  • Options
    And they said that in Uganda is now the `Brother´ of Ebola "The Marburg Fever" too!!!
    Fu..ing hell, they also meant they think there will be some people with Ebola in GB and France.
    A 33 year old cameraman of NBC was brought to Omaha and a woman from Norway to Oslo.

The shit is growing....
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited October 2014
    It's gonna wipe us out, just like the H1N1 bird flu and the swine flu did. 8-|
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    One good news: the first person who came to Hamburg with Ebola was going home well at Saturday!
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Ah no, I do not think it will wipe us out but there will be more than we might imagine...
    just seriously hoping I may be wrong with this - just don´t believe it :-S
  • Options
    Someone said the Organisations don´t get enough donations to help !
    I think I will not get some more PJ stuff this year - I will donate instead!
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    rgambs said:

Hurry and get some Tami flu!! Stockpile it.
  • Options
    Ok, I got it...
  • Options
    Good job Kce8.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    I read that "for every 22 adult people on oseltamivir one experienced vomiting". Maybe not for me- I hate puking! :))

Whenever I feel a bug coming on I take 50,000 IU's of vitamin D-3 twice a day for 3 or 4 day along with echinacea and zinc supplements plus my usual regimen of vitamins and supplements. This bug I've had the last three day must be a tough one because I haven't gotten much done in that time and it's given me with massively big-time fatigue. But it didn't totally knock me down and the last few virus going around before this I was able to knock out with the above mentioned regimen so I'm fairly sure it works. But ahh, no, I'm not going volunteer to try it out on Ebola. :))
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ugh, puking - hate it too. Fucks with my back, which 1) has been doing the ache/spasm thing since last evening, and 2) makes me realize even with that, I don't have it all that bad.

Hope you feel better soon, B!
  • Options
    Ugh, bake pain- that sucks too! Hope you feel better soon too, Hedo.

(Thanks either rr or rgambs- I think one of you came up with that cool nick name for Hedonist aka H. and now aka Hedo! :-)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

Ugh, bake pain- that sucks too! Hope you feel better soon too, Hedo.

(Thanks either rr or rgambs- I think one of you came up with that cool nick name for Hedonist aka H. and now aka Hedo! :-)

All of ya need some homemade chicken soup,maybe a Matzo ball or two and lots of fluids and Ice for Hedo.feel better guys.
  • Options
    You should also be taking vitamin C...and lots of it. Keep ramping up your dose until it starts to give you the shits. No lie. Then back off just a little. I take around 6,000mg a day and I'm going to boost it up a bit since I'm about to fly to Chicago. Ugh.
  • Options
    Gah! Been relying on the green vs Tylenol and Advil but have to go that route too this evening. I wish matzo-ball soup did more than comfort (though I'll take it!).

Shawshank, doesn't the excess of vitamin C - as with B - get flushed out once initially absorbed? I do swear by OJ though. Like a panacea sometimes.
  • Options
    Yes, you can't OD on vitamin c like you can others. Peoples bodies tolerate different levels, but in cold season it's best to just max out on it...however much you can handle. Maybe start off at 1000mg a day and work your way up slowly. I know people who take 10,000+mg every day. You can't go wrong with C.

• Options
    Don't forget zinc!!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Shawshank said:

Yes, you can't OD on vitamin c like you can others. Peoples bodies tolerate different levels, but in cold season it's best to just max out on it...however much you can handle. Maybe start off at 1000mg a day and work your way up slowly. I know people who take 10,000+mg every day. You can't go wrong with C.

I do 2000mg in the morning and before bed if I think I might get sick...it seems to work, but I have a strong immune system that regularly beats colds that drop others to their knees, so its hard to tell. I am lucky!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    So the 1st american dies today from the virus i hope no one else has to die from this virus ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

So the 1st american dies today from the virus i hope no one else has to die from this virus ...

Was he American? Or was it the guy from Africa that died?
  • Options

Was he American? Or was it the guy from Africa that died?
    Lived in Liberia, brought to the US.
  • Options
    Before the sky falls and all,how many people contracted "other" ailments and infections abroad and brought them here on a daily basis.I bet the number is staggering,but encephalitis,yellow Fever,etc Dosent get the pub from the news.I bet dozens of people have died this week in the USA after being infected with something abroad.Anyone got some numbers to help me with this?
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited October 2014
    rgambs, nicely done mr. vit c.

i know a commercial fisherman (dead now) but he was never sick & he worked in all the eliments every single day. up before the sun & hard as nails. he swore by vit. c. the man barelly wore clothes in the worst weather, just his boots, jeans, t-shirt & a flannel & i am certain he never wore those slickers fishermen sport around in.
    like his son, these two have the strongest & biggest hands/fingers i've ever saw. physically dragging up nets for the last 50-60 yrs

he eventually died of cancer althroughout his body
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    The planet as well as humanity could use an affective plague to knock out 60-70% of human population.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    callen said:

The planet as well as humanity could use an affective plague to knock out 60-70% of human population.

:)) As long as I'm in the surviving group...

---

Also, I have a coworker vacationing in Ghana, should I be worried? #-o
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    callen said:

From a purely objective view point, this is absolutely true in terms of giving the planet a chance to restore a much better ecological balance. Or we could voluntarily stop reproducing in such great numbers but, as Dave Foreman pointed out in the documentary "Wilderness", that notion seems to have become politically incorrect. Too bad because if we don't do it, Mother Nature will.