Options

Yield

Comments

• Options
    alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    i like yield
    :D
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• Options
    prodacakeprodacake Posts: 319
    all those yesterdays is a classic the perfect way to end a perfect album
  • Options
    prodacake wrote:
    all those yesterdays is a classic the perfect way to end a perfect album

It is...but you also have that extra hummus at the end. Delicious!
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Bump for greatness that is the YIELD record
    Tuesday will be it's 11th anniversary.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    just found out i have to work on tuesday nt... gonna have to miss yield night :(
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    TallGuyCMTallGuyCM Posts: 328
    Sorry folks, but Yield isn't the "perfect album". As long as it includes "Wishlist", it will never be the perfect album.

Much in the same vein as how OK Computer will never be the perfect album because it includes "Climbing Up The Walls".
  • Options
    TallGuyCM wrote:
    Sorry folks, but Yield isn't the "perfect album". As long as it includes "Wishlist", it will never be the perfect album.

Much in the same vein as how OK Computer will never be the perfect album because it includes "Climbing Up The Walls".
    Oh what do you know about perfect albums, you're just a tall guy!
    And there's nothing wrong with "Wishlist" by the way. :cry:

Gmoney: sorry about that mate, be here in spirit and blast Yield aloud at work.
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    TallGuyCM wrote:

Tall guy's don't know anything... take that Yield hatred to another thread!

Longrd, your comment made me laugh, I work for a Gospel artist and he's having his record release party on tuesday night. Imagine me bumping Yield there!! Hhahah
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:
    LongRd. wrote:
    TallGuyCM wrote:

Tall guy's don't know anything... take that Yield hatred to another thread!

Longrd, your comment made me laugh, I work for a Gospel artist and he's having his record release party on tuesday night. Imagine me bumping Yield there!! Hhahah
    That's cool. You can play Faithfull for him. :mrgreen:

Anyway, HAPPY Yield Day everybody!
  • Options
  • Options
    TallGuyCM wrote:

Climbing up the Walls is a great song. So is Wishlist. It just kills live shows though. :)

Happy B-day, YIELD!
  • Options
    Happy (11th!!!) birthday baby! You're growing up so fast!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=CVDoHFiuYfA
    "We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    It just kills live shows though. :)

No. It doesn't.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    It just kills live shows though. :)

No. It doesn't.

It was a generalization. With a good tag in the middle it can be wonderful. :)
  • Options
    happy 11th little buddy. I'll never forget the first time you met my ears. Senior year of high school on a cold tuesday night... we bonded instantly. Sometimes, when I think back to discovering Yield, I just can't believe it. I mean, even before Yield I thought PJ was unreal, the best, pure geniuses. Then Yield... I can't even describe Yield or what's done for me. Truly the only perfect album I've ever heard. A true artistic masterpiece.
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:
    happy 11th little buddy. I'll never forget the first time you met my ears. Senior year of high school on a cold tuesday night... we bonded instantly. Sometimes, when I think back to discovering Yield, I just can't believe it. I mean, even before Yield I thought PJ was unreal, the best, pure geniuses. Then Yield... I can't even describe Yield or what's done for me. Truly the only perfect album I've ever heard. A true artistic masterpiece.

You are wise, gmoney.

I popped it in my CD boombox in the kitchen the night of 2/3 and couldn't sit down until I finished the whole thing. Amazing!!
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    i guess no YIELD night huh. good times during yield night on here. :(

happy bday to one of the greatest cds ever if not the greatest. cd is amazing from front to back and just an overall vibe thats just hard to describe
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    First time I heard it was on the way back from Best Buy after spending a gift card (or certificate back then - did they have gift cards 11 years ago?). Popped it into the CD player and It cemented their place as my favorite band from then on.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    i guess no YIELD night huh. good times during yield night on here. :(

happy bday to one of the greatest cds ever if not the greatest. cd is amazing from front to back and just an overall vibe thats just hard to describe
    im pretty sure there is a yield night 2nt... Unfortunately I have to work... check with yieldinhiding.
  • Options
    My first Pearl Jam concert was during the Yield tour....i have been obsessed and impressed ever since! :D M
    My favorite from the album is probably Faithfull, with Low Light being a close second...but that changes with my moods.
    "The answers are fatal..."

"My lips are shakin'....

"And Love,...Wish the world would go again with Love
    One can't seem to have enough."

www.myspace.com/jenlovespearljam
  • Options
    Great album!

Here's a good interview with the band about Yield and other things.

http://www.freewebs.com/pearljamstudy/9 ... vemars.htm

Yield, the new one, is as good as anything the band has ever done. In certain ways -- the spaciousness of its sound, the multiplicity of perspectives that come from Jeff and Stone making strong writing contributions as lyricists as well as riff inventors, the number of memorable tracks ("Do the Evolution," "Wish List," "Pilate," "Brain of J," "Given to Fly," "Low Light") -- you could argue that it is the band's very best. David Marsh

Daniel Quinn (author of the book Ishmael):

Question - New interest in ISHMAEL, as I'm sure you know, has been spawned by the band Pearl Jam in the last year. Do you have any thoughts about their use of the book as inspiration for the production of their album YIELD and more specifically the song "Do the Evolution"? Just wondering if you'd heard it and what you thought.
    ...and the response:
    YIELD sits on my desktop and I often give it a listen (in fact, writing this answer gave me an excuse to play it again). A teacher once told me that even though he wasn’t teaching ISHMAEL or the material in ISHMAEL, the book had changed the WAY he teaches. This pleased me more than if he’d said he was teaching my ideas. Another went to a lot of trouble to try to capture all the ideas in my books in a ninety-minute “motivational” speech. I told him he shouldn’t just try to capture my ideas in his words, he had to go BEYOND my ideas to find his OWN ideas, his OWN way of motivating people. This is what Eddie Vedder has done. He hasn’t tried to express my ideas in his songs. Changed by reading my work, he’s written songs he wouldn’t have written two years ago—but his own songs, not any songs I would ever write (if I were a song-writer). Inspiration is very different from recapitulation. The credits of he movie INSTINCT say it was “inspired” by ISHMAEL, but it makes no effort to recapitulate ISHMAEL. Of the songs in YIELD, “Do the Evolution” comes closest to being an expression of my ideas, but I suspect Vedder would find many other, more subtle connections. Two or three writers have changed my life forever in works I haven’t read for decades. I’m certainly not writing anything they would write---but the “inspiration” they gave me never goes away.
  • Options
    I can't believe there's no "Yield" night. Eleven years ago at midnight I picked up the CD at Penn State. It was my first time in line for a midnight sale. I had really found Pearl Jam six months before their fifth record came out despite having all their discs. It still might be my favorite. From about 2004 to 2007, I know it was. What a great record.
  • Options
    I can't believe there's no "Yield" night. Eleven years ago at midnight I picked up the CD at Penn State. It was my first time in line for a midnight sale. I had really found Pearl Jam six months before their fifth record came out despite having all their discs. It still might be my favorite. From about 2004 to 2007, I know it was. What a great record.
    Yield night is tonight at 10 pm. Here.

Edited to add, I meant to say 10 PM EST.
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • Options
    What a great, great record. I think I am objective when I say that Yield is one of the best kept secrets in Rock history. It's undoutedly affected me more than any other album I've experienced. I could argue that Yield is of better taste than anything any band still active today has produced, with the exception of some works by WIlco, Radiohead and My Morning Jacket. And, that's not to say that Yield is lesser than those, but I could accept arguments on those fronts.

This album has been the subject of much discussion. What is being Yielded to? Ed suggests "nature" on SVT. However, I believe it can also be interpreted as Yielding to oneself. That is, Yielding for the purpose of freedom, and spontaneity. I believe getting to know oneself, nature and spontaneity are at least moderately intertwined.

Who is doing the Yielding? Man, I believe.

What role does love play in the record? It's alive in every song - every one of them. Both romantic and plutonic love is referred to in Yield.

How many double meanings within the songs? Not sure here, and it depends on the listener. But, there are undoubtedly several most would agree on. Ed is a master of double meanings. E.g. the end of Faithfull.
  • Options

Scroll down a bit or go to the next page. We made an announcement and everything.
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Wow, 11 years today? I only discovered it a few months ago...
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 972
    Yield. Just saying.
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    Yield. Oh how I love thee.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    Hello, Yield. I know I've been listening to Backspacer and Riot Act a lot lately, but you're still my favorite child.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Low Light. Simply beautiful.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2