Options

2023 CHICAGO BEARS

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    If this team was serious, they'd go get Harbaugh and draft a QB.  But they won't.  
    I'm still not certain what they should do at QB.  I think in the right system, Fields could be a solid QB.  His processing time, after 3 years is still waaaaaaaay too slow, and couple that with a OL that is easily confused and an offensive coordinator who makes no adjustments.
    That said, would it be better to stack picks and let him play another year (on the cheap) then look forward to replacing him, or just go after another unproven college QB.  This is def a good year for QBs in the draft, I'm just not sure any of them can succeed with Getsy and Flus in charge.
    I go back and forth a lot, but yesterday's game made me lean towards taking a guy early in the draft and seeing what we can get trading Fields.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    And with the 1st pick in the 2024 draft, the Chicago Bears.....

Select some clown that nobody will remember in 3 years. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    I guess I care more about what happens to Justin than I care about what happens to the Bears. I just don’t want him to get traded to someone looking for a backup. I think he’s got the talent to start and have success.

not being a Bears fan or weekly watcher, I’ll admit I don’t know if all the sacks he takes are due to slow reads or being surrounded by mediocre players and coaches. Probably a bit of both?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,651
    edited January 8
    mca47 said:
    If this team was serious, they'd go get Harbaugh and draft a QB.  But they won't.  
    I'm still not certain what they should do at QB.  I think in the right system, Fields could be a solid QB.  His processing time, after 3 years is still waaaaaaaay too slow, and couple that with a OL that is easily confused and an offensive coordinator who makes no adjustments.
    That said, would it be better to stack picks and let him play another year (on the cheap) then look forward to replacing him, or just go after another unproven college QB.  This is def a good year for QBs in the draft, I'm just not sure any of them can succeed with Getsy and Flus in charge.
    I go back and forth a lot, but yesterday's game made me lean towards taking a guy early in the draft and seeing what we can get trading Fields.
    This seems to be a good thought.
    Trade both top picks, get back a huge haul for this year - multiple 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, maybe a 2nd.  I think the top picks flame out more than the others, or the teams stick with longer based on investment.  Better to make a bunch of picks and know you will hit on some good ones and include a QB somewhere in there so be a good back up plan.
    Chance of loading up huge on 2 top picks and having at least one of them crash and burn seems pretty high.

edit -- as a Niners fan I want them trading their first round pick EVERY YEAR.  Get more lower round picks!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    I guess I care more about what happens to Justin than I care about what happens to the Bears. I just don’t want him to get traded to someone looking for a backup. I think he’s got the talent to start and have success.

not being a Bears fan or weekly watcher, I’ll admit I don’t know if all the sacks he takes are due to slow reads or being surrounded by mediocre players and coaches. Probably a bit of both?
    Both, but he is ranked basically last among 2023 starting QBs on the time it takes for him to get the snap to him throwing it.  The line doesn't help, but his progressions are painfully slow....to the fans and probably to him as it results in him taking a beating.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Wobbie said:

Both, but he is ranked basically last among 2023 starting QBs on the time it takes for him to get the snap to him throwing it.  The line doesn't help, but his progressions are painfully slow....to the fans and probably to him as it results in him taking a beating.
    yeah….Utah’s QB (3rd string pig famer) was very indecisive and it hurt him (physically) and the team.

what do you think the Bears could get for Fields?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    mca47 said:
    Wobbie said:

Yeah he just doesn't have it.  Every game he seems to end up in the same space being around 13 for 20 for 170 yards and 1 TD.  He's just not a good passer.  If he was, he would have shown it by now.  When Tyson Bagent started those 4 games he looked more comfortable in the pocket than Fields and he was a Division 2 rookie!
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    mca47 said:
    Wobbie said:

yeah….Utah’s QB (3rd string pig famer) was very indecisive and it hurt him (physically) and the team.

what do you think the Bears could get for Fields?
    I think they could get a 2nd rd for Fields.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Wobbie said:

Yeah he just doesn't have it.  Every game he seems to end up in the same space being around 13 for 20 for 170 yards and 1 TD.  He's just not a good passer.  If he was, he would have shown it by now.  When Tyson Bagent started those 4 games he looked more comfortable in the pocket than Fields and he was a Division 2 rookie!
    Yeah, rarely does he hit anyone on the initial routes.  It's not until things break down where the creativity can allow for some decent yards.  
    Have you also noticed how few true slants are called during the course of a game?  Very few and those that are are deeper clearing routes.  You watch that Packer's game and it seemed like 90% of the damage they did were on true slants against a cover two.  Love was geared to fire before his plant foot hit the turf.  A sign that the Packers can call a game and they have a QB who is comfortable with timing.
  • Options
    ^^^ points taken, but maybe that’s coaching and/or (hate this term) scheming?

QB is such a hard position to evaluate, still it’s hard to believe a guy who went 41 TD and 3 INT in the B1G doesn’t have talent…unlike some BYU puke who “wowed scouts at his pro day.”

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 614
    Fields has 1 WR to throw to and Swiss cheese for an OL. Not to mention he has a mental midget calling plays for him. At this point I hope he gets traded to a real franchise that knows how to utilize his extremely special skill set. The Bears are too stupid for that. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    Luke Getsy fired, thank god. 
  • Options
    Eberflus officially back.  Could try and go get Harbaugh or Vrabel and do a full reset?  Nah, lets bring the coach back with a rookie QB and then fire him after next year when they don't make the playoffs.  This team just never does anything right.  I thought things might be different with Kevin Warren in charge.  Same old story with one of the saddest franchise in the league.
  • Options
    Eberflus officially back.  Could try and go get Harbaugh or Vrabel and do a full reset?  Nah, lets bring the coach back with a rookie QB and then fire him after next year when they don't make the playoffs.  This team just never does anything right.  I thought things might be different with Kevin Warren in charge.  Same old story with one of the saddest franchise in the league.
    Yup!
  • Options
    Really disappointed they are keeping Flus.  I mean, why?  Because the players like him?  Simply getting a new OC is such a Bears move!  How many OCs have we had in the last 10 years?  9?  The best OCs out there are wanting to make the move to HC and are not going to take another OC job, or jump to another team with the same role.  Looking at who's out there, it's pretty slim.  Whoever they get is going to have to figure out to scheme for either Fields or Williams.  That scheme is going to be a LOT different than what they are used to and whoever takes that OC position is likely going to be an experienced football guy.  As the org has shown, it's bottom down so Flus is going to have a big say in who takes this role and as far as i'm concerned, Flus hasn't shown the ability to pick a guy or even understand the offensive side of the game.  
    If they aren't a playoff contender next year, we're going to be doing a full reset once again.  That needs to happen NOW.  The franchise is at one of their biggest crossroads perhaps ever, and to do some bandaid work on a much bigger problem is going to set them back again.  
    Fn Bears!
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    I love this time of the season.
    Nothing like playoff football.

It instantly makes me forget how fucking pitiful the Chicago Bears are.

The worst playoff team, is SO MUCH BETTER than the pitiful Bears. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,800
    Trade the pick and get a HAUL.

Trade Fields and get something 

Draft M. Harrison Jr and Joe Alt

Sign Kirk Cousins (if achilles is healed)

Haven't seen this exact scenario laid out there, but I kind of like it. Different style QB, but I don't think Cousins (if healthy) gives you any less chance to win big games than Fields. And with the draft capital and cap space, should be able to fill several gaps.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Keep hearing about all this cap space the Bears have and all they do is sign a RB on day 1 of free agency???  They need help on both sides of the line.  And now it looks like there is zero market to trade Fields.  It would be such a Bears move to draft Williams and keep Fields.  
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,180
    i thought the Raiders made sense for Fields after the Falcons signed Cousins

word on the street is Bears wanted a 1st rounder for Fields initially, and teams soured on it. Plus him holding onto the ball hasnt really improved much from his rookie year, I still like his potential .....he needs an offensive System that suits him
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,249
    If they were asking for a 1st rounder for Fields, they totally misread the market. I'd say they'd be fortunate to get a 3rd.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,244
    Drove home from work on lake shore drive yesterday. Not a chance in hell, ever does a dome stadium fit where the bears are saying it will go. If they proceed, and try to put a dome there it will be more laughable than the remodel of soldier field done in the past.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    If they were asking for a 1st rounder for Fields, they totally misread the market. I'd say they'd be fortunate to get a 3rd.
    Yeah that was never going to happen.  At this point it would probable be more like 4th-5th round pick since he would prob be going somewhere to be a backup.
  • Options
    its upsurd to think he cant get a starting job
  • Options
    I figured the Raiders were out once their hired Getsy. 
  • Options
    Keenan Allen was a damn fine pick up!
  • Options
    Yeah, I kind of expected Fields to get a 2nd rounder initially.  And yeah, at this point, any team that gets him won't have to give up much.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Keenan Allen and DJ Moore is a pretty damn good 1-2 punch at WR.  Williams will be coming into a pretty nice situation as the #1 pick.  Usually those rosters are a disaster.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,249
    mca47 said:
    Keenan Allen and DJ Moore is a pretty damn good 1-2 punch at WR.  Williams will be coming into a pretty nice situation as the #1 pick.  Usually those rosters are a disaster.
    Carolina's organization is a disaster which greatly benefits Da Bears in this instance.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Do Bears take a wr @ 9?

curious as to what they do there, prob trade back a few spots 
  • Options