Options

degenerate gambling football league - season 5

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,477
    hello?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Good week last week for my picks but I suck overall. Dont have a chance in hell of getting to the top!
    That said, I like the choices this week. Split fave/dog down the middle (have been going dog most time this year)

I think the best bet of the week is the Patriots absolutely fucking demolish the Lions.
    Lions are going to show us what they really have down the stetch against the Pats and Packers. Luckily for their playoff chances their other games remaining are against Bears (2x) Vikes and Bucs. All of those teams are horrid.

Lions are the biggest scam in the league with that record. Easy out for someone come playoff time.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,783

Lions are the biggest scam in the league with that record. Easy out for someone come playoff time.

Weird part with the Lions this year is that their defense is awesome this year, not their offense like you would expect. As good as their D has been, it's hard to see them slowing down Brady and the Pats right now....they are absolutely on fire.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

Weird part with the Lions this year is that their defense is awesome this year, not their offense like you would expect. As good as their D has been, it's hard to see them slowing down Brady and the Pats right now....they are absolutely on fire.
    A few games ago nobody thought Denver would lose another game. The patriots are hot, but if there was a team that could slow them down, it would be Detroit. (Miami somehow always gives them fits as well). I'm thinking about taking the 7 points. IF Stafford and Johnson can catch a stride, it may be a close game.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I see Detroit getting spanked in this one, myself. Then again don't take my word for it. I'm about 10 games out of first place right now, lol.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,640
    congrats to jweyers for going 6- for -6

6 - for - 6 carry-over pool

week 1:
    week 2:
    week 3: indifference71 ( won $30 )
    week 4:
    week 5:
    week 6:
    week 7:
    week 8:
    week 9: phardin, indy71, & rstein27 ( split $60 )
    week 10:
    week 11:
    week 12: jweyers ( won $30 )
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I'm always impressed when someone has a perfect week. I've never done it in the almost 4 seasons I've been doing this. Thankfully I've never gone 0 for 6 either, lol
  • Options
    Another 3-3 week. Better than 2 wins, but it's not as good as 5. Lol. I need to do better. Running out of games.
  • Options
    this rstein dude is keeping everyone at arm's length. what is his forum name? same for rustneversleeps?

i wish everyone would've used their name from here on that website so we know who everyone is. i've had 5's in two of the last three weeks and i'm still 7 back!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    rstein27rstein27 Racine, WI Posts: 220
    Same forum name my man. Change in venues to Detroit cost me a point last week, should know better than to trust the Jets!
    Pearl Jam: East Troy 1998, Chicago 1&2 2009, Philly 4 2009, PJ20 1&2 2011, Wrigley Field 2013, Brooklyn 1&2 2013, Moline 2014, Milwaukee 2014, Wrigley Field 1&2 2016, London 1 2018, Wrigley 1, 2018

EV Solo: Milwaukee 2008, Chicago 1 2009, Seattle 2 2009. Ft Lauderdale 2 2012
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    same name here... fuckin rstein27 has been on fire. good work. im on fumes right now, need a big week.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    1-5 last week lol, but at least the 1 was the game that I bet big on. Pats mushroom stamped the Lions.
  • Options
    Another 3-3 week. Better than 2 wins, but it's not as good as 5. Lol. I need to do better. Running out of games.
  • Options
    Well this week really crushed me.
    Fuck, the ugly truth:
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    Can i still join this ?
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • Options

Can i still join this ?

If you want to pay $40 down by 48 with 4 weeks left to go in the season. Sign up! =))

I'm kidding. You're to late to join but I think we are doing a playoff pool. Would somebody in the know answer that?
  • Options
    I don't think we did one last year because we were too late to organize one. But we always did one before that. We should definitely start planning a playoff pool soon. Mark me down!
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    edited November 2014

Can i still join this ?

If you want to pay $40 down by 48 with 4 weeks left to go in the season. Sign up! =))

I'm kidding. You're to late to join but I think we are doing a playoff pool. Would somebody in the know answer that?
    I'm in for a playoff pool.
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,640
    i'm down for a playoff pool

but we need a good format for it

i think last year we did most wins with a guess for total points scored as a tiebreaker

any new ideas?
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    ed243421 said:

i'm down for a playoff pool

but we need a good format for it

i think last year we did most wins with a guess for total points scored as a tiebreaker

any new ideas?

I see nothing wrong with this format. Maybe pick 2 tiebreaker games, and whoever has the closest number between the two games wins, if there's a tie.
  • Options
    What the fuck is wrong with the god dam Giants? Coughlin should be fired tomorrow along with everyone on the offense. How in the fuck do you fuck up a 21 point lead to the jaguars? What a joke.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I don't want Coughlin fired - but I'm a frustrated Giant's fan too. I just think it's one of those years - new people, new offense, lots of injuries - so they're not all on the same page most of the time. The fleeting moments that they all perform their respective jobs well, at the same time, they look great - but it's a work in progress. Next year, as long as there are no more career ending injuries or fucked up trades, they will be in synch, at least that's what I think.

I really hope Coughlin isn't let go - I like him and respect him. i don't know how or if it would affect Eli, but they've been 'together' for 10 years and 2 superbowls. It's only a couple years since we won the Superbowl, need some time to put together all the pieces that are broken and missing. Just my two cents.

I really suck at the pool. I have had a possible 0 about half the time because I can't, for some inexplicable reason, get my picks in on time. Today I was only able to get 4 picks in cause it occurred to me at 1:02. I know I have to do it every week, but punctuality isn't my strong suit. I try, but I am somehow always late. At least I have double digits finally. L-)
  • Options

Can i still join this ?

I'm in for a playoff pool.
    How fucked up would it be if someone joined now and I still came in last. @-)
  • Options
    njnancy said:

I don't want Coughlin fired - but I'm a frustrated Giant's fan too. I just think it's one of those years - new people, new offense, lots of injuries - so they're not all on the same page most of the time. The fleeting moments that they all perform their respective jobs well, at the same time, they look great - but it's a work in progress. Next year, as long as there are no more career ending injuries or fucked up trades, they will be in synch, at least that's what I think.

I really hope Coughlin isn't let go - I like him and respect him. i don't know how or if it would affect Eli, but they've been 'together' for 10 years and 2 superbowls. It's only a couple years since we won the Superbowl, need some time to put together all the pieces that are broken and missing. Just my two cents.

I really suck at the pool. I have had a possible 0 about half the time because I can't, for some inexplicable reason, get my picks in on time. Today I was only able to get 4 picks in cause it occurred to me at 1:02. I know I have to do it every week, but punctuality isn't my strong suit. I try, but I am somehow always late. At least I have double digits finally. L-)

One of those years? You mean one of those decades. Ok, they won two super bowls. Both times they got hot at playoff time. After squeaking in the playoffs both years. But other than that, they've been aweful. I think because Eli won the super bowl MVP award twice, he's a hall of famer. But he's part of the problem in New York. There needs to be a change. And it starts with Coughlin and slowly works down from there. I've always thought that it's hard for a coach to be with one team longer than 8 years. I'm not even a giants fan. The giants are as bad as the freaking jets for Christ sake. How could anyone not see that Tom and Eli needs to move on.
  • Options
    I have to respectfully disagree. Get rid of Coughlin and Eli and that's gonna solve all their problems? I don't see how that is going to do anything but decimate the team and leave them building from scratch again. Teams have people retire, get injured - they have good years and bad years. And I don't agree that they have been awful for a decade. I'm a huge Giant's fan and I know that this season is not like all seasons. I think that Coughlin is a a good coach and a positive influence on the players, esp. the young players. I think that Eli is a great quarterback and I don't see any reason why he should move on. Players and coaches are with teams for a lot longer than 10 years.

They have the ability to win but they are playing bad football. They lead the league in injured reserve players and people are playing that would not be on the field except for the numbers of starters and 2nd (and 3rd?) string players who are unable to play. You are coaching the backup's backups. There is carelessness and a lack of understanding of simple standards. The turnovers and penalties show a lack of experience. Every game it seems it's a new bunch of people playing together which makes it difficult to have confidence.

The days of the teams being dominant for long stretches of time has been over for quite some time. They suck this year. They haven't sucked for a decade. There are teams that never make it into the Superbowl - I think it's a bit unfair to say that their Superbowl wins were both because they squeaked in at the last minute. They have had awesome seasons. I know, I've been following them since the 1980's.

They played great in the first half - then they just fell apart. Coughlin is not the problem. He coaches the hell out of them - he can't force them to perform the way they should. You can't make them care for four quarters. I love that Eli Manning is the quarterback for my team, I think he is a great quarterback - I love both Manning brothers. But the team is just not gelling. There is a definite lack of experience, cohesiveness, ethic. They, as a whole, are just not hungry this year. Unlike other years.

That's my take - and I understand that you disagree and that's okay with me.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,783
    0 for 5 so far. Really need the Dolphins to cover tomorrow night to salvage this awful weekend.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Ok, they were 10-6 in 07 when they won the super bowl. They were riding a nice 4 game losing streak heading into the playoffs. They were 9-7 in 2011. They had to win their last two games to make it in. They were far from dominate. They got hot at the right time. That isn't a bad thing, that's when u want your team to get hot.

Coughlin is a great coach. I'm not saying he's not. But I definitely think no matter how good a coach is, you can run your course as a coach with one team. See Bill Cower in Pittsburgh as an example. Letting Tom and Eli go wouldn't magically solve their problems, but I think bringing a fresh set of eyes in would definitely be a good start.

I'm really not bashing Tom and Eli. I think Eli is a HOFer. I think a fresh start for him somewhere else would revitalize his career. As for Tom, he's over 70 years old. I doubt be coaches again.
  • Options
    Damn Pats Kicker cost me in a number of different bets this weekend. Asshole! He makes that last one and I cover all bets. (And would have given me a 5-1 mark in this pool this week to offset last week's 1-5 lol)
    Bastard!
  • Options
    damn you, rstein! i've slowly but surely made up ground on everyone here...except you!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    rstein27rstein27 Racine, WI Posts: 220
    Just trying to stay consistent and hit 4 a week, right on that goal.
    Pearl Jam: East Troy 1998, Chicago 1&2 2009, Philly 4 2009, PJ20 1&2 2011, Wrigley Field 2013, Brooklyn 1&2 2013, Moline 2014, Milwaukee 2014, Wrigley Field 1&2 2016, London 1 2018, Wrigley 1, 2018

EV Solo: Milwaukee 2008, Chicago 1 2009, Seattle 2 2009. Ft Lauderdale 2 2012