Options

Jerusalem Post/Ben Red Completely Off Base In Criticism of Eddie and Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    boyo79 said:

PJ51390 said:

dfishberg said:

Of course Ed was talking about the conflict. I find it interesting that he would tag this rant off of Daughter considering the message of that song and the current state of women's rights in the Middle East. I fully support Ed's right to sat whatever he wants, and off course, no one wants to see bombings, but I think Ed may need a history lesson before he engages in another one of his drunken ramblings.

Totally agree. I think folks here think that just because EV says something it is the gospel and hang on everything he says, just because he is able to say it in a public forum.

Do your home work and form your own opinions.
    The only opinion needed is wanting peace surely?

Amen
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

boyo79 said:

PJ51390 said:

dfishberg said:

Of course Ed was talking about the conflict. I find it interesting that he would tag this rant off of Daughter considering the message of that song and the current state of women's rights in the Middle East. I fully support Ed's right to sat whatever he wants, and off course, no one wants to see bombings, but I think Ed may need a history lesson before he engages in another one of his drunken ramblings.

Totally agree. I think folks here think that just because EV says something it is the gospel and hang on everything he says, just because he is able to say it in a public forum.

Amen
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938

boyo79 said:

PJ51390 said:

dfishberg said:

Amen
    +1 for peace.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 492
    mdevitre said:

CharlieP said:

Just saw that Neil Young cancelled his Tel Aviv date. That´s really sad. Apparently there was some sort of demonstration going on outside the Hyde Park gig and now this. I fully understand that Young pulls the plug. He´s an artist who shouldn´t be involved with this madness. But it´s the fans that will lose in the long run and that´s really sad.
    It´s also sad that Ed can´t voice an opinion without people reading too much into it. Now some even wish to crucify him. It´s not hard to understand why the conflict´s not going to end anytime soon but if I was on tour I probably wouldn´t want to play that area either

Neil had to cancel under the circumstances. Hamas rockets can reach Tel Aviv easily - and a concert venue would be a very realistic target for Hamas who do clearly aim for such types of civilian targets where the damage/loss of life is high. I don't think he wants to bring a few thousand fans together (or himself and tour crew) to be potential rocket targets. An American artist performing in Israel makes a very appealing target to a Hamas, I'm sure.

The Israeli authorities canceled the show due to the fact that there are unsafe conditions for a concert.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/07/13/uk-palestinians-israel-concert-idINKBN0FI0EW20140713

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said on Sunday the show was cancelled by police for security reasons "in order not to put people in Gaza rocket range at unnecessary risk".
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

boyo79 said:

PJ51390 said:

dfishberg said:

Amen
    Understatement of the century.
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    What do we think the rest of the band thinks about this press? They are on an epic run of concerts. The band is at their finest. They have to deal with this kind of press because Eddie drunkenly states what we already know he feels. I would be slightly annoyed even if I shared his opinions.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    They have to deal with this kind of press because partisans on both sides misinterpreted (either inadvertently or deliberately) his words. So much of what many people think he said has been read in. There remains not a single reference to Israel or Palestine in his rant.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    edited July 2014
    SkeeterB said:

lbpeltz said:

I never get the idea that EV is really informed on political issues. Maybe he's intentionally uninformed or underinformed, but to view him in any higher light than a pot smoking hippie yelling, "peace dude" is to do an injustice.

And being more tipsier than normal. Not sure what he did on the Europe tour, but by the end of the US tour, he was drinking 2-3 magnums of wine a night. The guy is like 5'5"...that's 4-6 bottles of wine a night. I don't think anyone could do that without being hammered. He seemed to have a lot when he went on the rant, which has led to a lot of tension amongst a fan base that really looks out for each other. Seems like there's a divide now in the fan base, albeit not a huge divide, but a divide. I don't recall this ever happening before, the divide in the fan base.
    Huh? If eddie drank that much he'd die of alcohol poisoning. At least half of the wine you think he drunks on stage is not wine, FYI. He rarely drinks more than one bottle of wine (and no magnums, lol). Also, he's 5'7", come on now, lol. ;)
    As for a divide in the fan base.... no more than ever. And even if that were true, so what?? If there are some people out there who are capable of reacting negatively to what he said, then there probably should be a divide in the fan base... a divide between the logical and the illogical.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    edited July 2014
    This whole thing is so out of control. I am feeling really disappointed by how people can't handle Eddie Vedder making an anti-war comment. It's like everyone is going crazy. 8-}
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SB51327SB51327 NJ Posts: 35
    Wow Eddie Vedder is against a war? Shocking? When he was against the War in Iraq he was un-American and now because he is against aggression in the Middle East he is against Israel. These opinions are stupid to me. He is against war period and not against a country or religion. I am just happy people will leave the fan club over this so I have a better chance at getting tickets.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited July 2014

What do we think the rest of the band thinks about this press? They are on an epic run of concerts. The band is at their finest. They have to deal with this kind of press because Eddie drunkenly states what we already know he feels. I would be slightly annoyed even if I shared his opinions.

I'd be curious as well. If i'm not mistaken, in PJ20 they said that they support him speaking his mind regardless of their personal stance, but felt that he could speak for the band, when addressing the Bushleaguer controversy. If I remember correctly, Mike seemed a bit freaked out by it, but Jeff kinda got off on it :))

What I would like to know.....did Soundgarden's show in Israel have anything at all to do with Matt committing to touring only with PJ this summer?

PS - as I said before....drunk or not. Eddie was focused and chose his words carefully enough to make it obvious what he said was not absent-minded, alcohol-fueled ranting. Can we stop with that insult?
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,935
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Spags said:
    That was fucken good. Funny shit Stewart.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    I would like to see this moved to the moving train forum. I hold no sway, just saying.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    I understand, but I'm glad its on the main page. More eyes to see it and voices to weigh in.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

I understand, but I'm glad its on the main page. More eyes to see it and voices to weigh in.

Why can't it be on the main page of AMT instead?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    I would like to see people stop killing each other with my tax dollars. If Hobby Lobby doesn't have to pay for birth control because it goes against their belief system, does that mean I don't have to pay for war against my better wishes anymore?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Where is that faceplant emoticon?
  • Options

ah, there it is
  • Options

JimmyV said:

It could be, sure. I just don't think AMT is as heavily trafficked. Of course, that's probably the point.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2014
    JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

It could be, sure. I just don't think AMT is as heavily trafficked. Of course, that's probably the point.
    I think AMT would be filled with people once this thread got moved thereimage
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

I would like to see people stop killing each other with my tax dollars. If Hobby Lobby doesn't have to pay for birth control because it goes against their belief system, does that mean I don't have to pay for war against my better wishes anymore?

Valed question CM. But we all know the answer to that lol ;)
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    badbrains said:

CM189191 said:

One example: The $400 billion program to create a fleet of F-35 Joint Strike Fighter jets, which is seven years behind schedule, plagued with misfortunes and incompetencies; could have housed every homeless person in the U.S. with a $600,000 home.

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2014/07/09/3458101/f35-boondoggle-fail/
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

badbrains said:

CM189191 said:

One example: The $400 billion program to create a fleet of F-35 Joint Strike Fighter jets, which is seven years behind schedule, plagued with misfortunes and incompetencies; could have housed every homeless person in the U.S. with a $600,000 home.

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2014/07/09/3458101/f35-boondoggle-fail/
    Ok, so zero of these comments have to do with Pearl Jam. This thread should be moved to AMT.image
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168
    why should it be moved to amt? you can see the thread title. you don't have to read it or comment on it.

this story is making american news sites now. it concerns us all. might has well keep it here where more people can see it.

the american media is decidedly pro-israel. it is good that people on here can learn much more about the conflict in this thread.

the worst form of ignorance is willful ignorance.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Keep it here. AMT already has 4 Israeli/Palestinian threads.
  • Options

Keep it here. AMT already has 4 Israeli/Palestinian threads.

so now we have to flood the porch too?image
  • Options
    how is one thread "flooding the porch"?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    that is an honest and serious question by the way.

This discussion has been closed.