Assaulted

Comments

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Look how many people love you Brian, bet you feel pretty special sometimes, not so with what happened though..let us know if they get caught
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,633
    JWPearl said:

Look how many people love you Brian, bet you feel pretty special sometimes, not so with what happened though..let us know if they get caught

Thanks Faithful PJPearl. I'm not sure about special but sure do feel lucky- to be here with you all, listening to Pearl Jam, having a great family. As my dear old Pop likes to say, "Lucky Lux".

What would really be great would be if this kid were caught and went Johnny Ramone on us and stopped and said, "What am I doing? I'm ruining my life." Small odds but you never know.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• DreamyDanDreamyDan Posts: 83
    hey Brian,
    just read your post and the replies so far {wow... so much support!} and i can only add: hope you'll be well again soon... sounds like a terrifying thing to have happened to you... lots of loving vibes from across the pond!! ♥
    also: i think you made it very clear that it wasn't a race-issue for you, and that you described the guys that attacked you in a way you'd say that they had red baseball caps on... but i guess this is quite a sensitive issue anyway, ans since i don't live in the States, i don't know how sensitive it can become :\"> {in Holland you can get into similar trouble describing someone as Moroccan or Turkish...}

on a brighter note: how's the granddaughter doing?!

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Brian sorry to hear that ... The emotional side may take time, I know it would if that was me. Don't let it linger, there is probably a victims support group that could offer help if need be.

Unfortunately this shit happens far to often this day and age. Get well and be safe my friend.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • brianlux said:

Sometimes I do get really pissed off thinking about this but not to the point of violence- just anger and frustration that someone completely unprovoked would attack me. That boggles my mind. ... I just can't comprehend unwarranted attacking. I don't understand unprovoked violence and the kind of mindset that would lead to that.

This is difficult to work through. It's hard to accept that some people are just bad and are capable of inflicting random damage with no regard for anyone else.

I am glad you are seeing your neurologist today. Hope all is well.

• JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Glad to hear your're ok. Unfortunately, being an asshole doesn't have a race associated with it.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    By the way, Jason and Brian-- I forgot to mention earlier-- way to go, staying conscious! :)

Idiot, lowlife scum who attack people like this simply must have extremely low intelligence, are sociopaths, or could benefit from making marijuana and prostitution legal. I dont know the answer, but thats just some crap off the top of my little fuzzy head.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Good morning! You guys are awesome. You've all been a really big part of my support system and I'm incredibly grateful for that.

My wife and stepdaughter are doing well and that's really important and I'm grateful for that and for their strength.

I'm off to see my neurologist. I'm fairly certain my head is ok but it can't hurt to have it checked out. The spin cycle continues in my thoughts but not quite as bad and it will get better. Sleeping seems to be optional at best right now, haha! (why that's funny, I don't know but laughter is never a bad thing) but that too will get better.

Have a great day, good friends. Thanks so much again. You guys are the best!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    Damn, that sucks. Sorry you had to go through all that. What quick thinking and work to get the hell out of there. The PD response is beyond silly. Glad you guys are alright. Time is the best healer of these things. Hopefully, you'll get more good news today. At least when you think back on this time, you have some happy stuff to drown out the crap humanity can throw at you.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    be well, brian
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Hope you're feeling better Brian. Sometimes that sort of emotional trauma can take a few days to process and accept. Get some support if you need it!
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Have a Great Day too Brian...The Main thing is that your alright.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Continued positive energy heading your way.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    brianlux said:

Jason P said:

I once got jumped by five dudes while walking back hame from the bar when I was in college. They came up to my friend in I and got in our face and while I was trying to diffuse the situation a dude to the left of me just sucker punched me. Instinctively, I grabbed the closest guy and wrestled him to the ground and proceeded to pummel him until another guy ran over and kicked me in my face. I got up and announced that was it and I'm going home ... Which they amazingly acknowledged because they were probably amazed I was still conscious.

It's sucky to feel a victim. There was no reason that should have happened Brian so I can relate to how you feel .... With the exception I didn't have a wife and kid which probably amps up fuckedupedness of the assault several fold.

That's the last time I've ever been in a fight. I now profile. Judge your surroundings.

By the way, the dudes were white. But I was in a townie area, late at night, and was a college boy.

Holy crap, Jason P, I feel like I got off lucky! You're one tough dude!

I'm not a tough dude, I'm a lover not a fighter! But I can hold my own when needed.

There have been a few fisticuffs soirée I've been involved with but only self defense. Never in the last ten years. And never in aggression since the the sixth grade when Ben Adams smashed me on a layup and I had to unleash a JasonP-a-cane on him.

I'm a man of peace now.
  • OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    Hope things went well today Brian! :)>-
    I hope all went well at the doctor's.
    ELITIST FUK
    Doc says head seems to be ok and seems confident it's so. Now if I could just chase away the spin cycle thinking. I'm growing impatient with my mind that way. Just want to move on. Well, at least no major injuries- I'm glad for that.

• marilormarilor Posts: 618
    Thank you for sharing how things go. I'm very glad to know you're ok. Take care and don't even think about negative stuffs...
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"
    Good to hear that you are physically fine. Try to cut yourself some slack on the spin cycle--I know it must be frustrating that it doesn't stop, but it will in time. Allow yourself the time. In the meantime, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. I've been known to put together cool care packages. :)
    ELITIST FUK
    SD48277 said:

Good to hear that you are physically fine. Try to cut yourself some slack on the spin cycle--I know it must be frustrating that it doesn't stop, but it will in time. Allow yourself the time. In the meantime, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. I've been known to put together cool care packages. :)

Your words are the best care package I could ask for. Thank you!

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    edited July 2014
    badbrains said:

brianlux said:

I'd like to clear up the race issue business here quick like. When I posted my story here my intent was to tell the story honestly. In my initial post, I described the young men as "black" the way I described the color of their vehicle. It's my habit as a writer and former teacher to add detail when writing. But as I wrote this it occurred to me that someone might think that by saying they were black that I might have a problem with black people which I don't. So when I mentioned the fact that the guys working in the store were black I thought maybe if I pointed out that these guys were really cool, which they were, would clear up that issue. I probably shouldn't have made either description which would have prevented this from being an issue at all and, besides, any of you who know even a little about me know I am not a bigot. If there was ANY prejudice involved here at all the only thing that might be a factor is that maybe the guy who punched me doesn't like white people in his neighborhood but I don't know if that is so and I did not make that claim. I think it's more likely that he has a problem with female canines because it is the word "bitch" that he spewed at me. As for my biases I will say this: I have a big problem with people who threaten and/or do harm to others for no reason whatsoever.

PLEASE, let's not make this a race issue thread.

Wow, brian, dnt even sweat it bro. NO ONE here at all thinks that you're racist or a bigot. I would've described it the same exact way as you. You have no issue here with it being a race "thing". That's the last thing that should be on your mind buddy.
    No, of course in don't think you're a bigot Brian. I was more thinking about the general issue in the US and the culture of racial tension, insomuch that anyone in your situation might have found that their mind went in that direction in some way, however unintentional. I realize now that it was an issue that shouldn't have been brought up at that moment - I am guilty of bad timing (at best). I'm sorry about that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    brianlux said:

Doc says head seems to be ok and seems confident it's so. Now if I could just chase away the spin cycle thinking. I'm growing impatient with my mind that way. Just want to move on. Well, at least no major injuries- I'm glad for that.

Brian, you could be suffering from kind of PTSD (understandably - you were attacked and your family was threatened!) .... Perhaps talking to a counselor or going to a victims of violence group could really help you get through this? I know doing something like that isn't always the easiest thing, but I know for a fact that it can really help even when you think it won't.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,323
    Ah, excuse me Mr. Lux? Perhaps a sojourn over to the lounge car is in order?

Peace.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    PJ_Soul said:

badbrains said:

brianlux said:

I'd like to clear up the race issue business here quick like. When I posted my story here my intent was to tell the story honestly. In my initial post, I described the young men as "black" the way I described the color of their vehicle. It's my habit as a writer and former teacher to add detail when writing. But as I wrote this it occurred to me that someone might think that by saying they were black that I might have a problem with black people which I don't. So when I mentioned the fact that the guys working in the store were black I thought maybe if I pointed out that these guys were really cool, which they were, would clear up that issue. I probably shouldn't have made either description which would have prevented this from being an issue at all and, besides, any of you who know even a little about me know I am not a bigot. If there was ANY prejudice involved here at all the only thing that might be a factor is that maybe the guy who punched me doesn't like white people in his neighborhood but I don't know if that is so and I did not make that claim. I think it's more likely that he has a problem with female canines because it is the word "bitch" that he spewed at me. As for my biases I will say this: I have a big problem with people who threaten and/or do harm to others for no reason whatsoever.

PLEASE, let's not make this a race issue thread.

Wow, brian, dnt even sweat it bro. NO ONE here at all thinks that you're racist or a bigot. I would've described it the same exact way as you. You have no issue here with it being a race "thing". That's the last thing that should be on your mind buddy.
    No, of course in don't think you're a bigot Brian. I was more thinking about the general issue in the US and the culture of racial tension, insomuch that anyone in your situation might have found that their mind went in that direction in some way, however unintentional. I realize now that it was an issue that shouldn't have been brought up at that moment - I am guilty of bad timing (at best). I'm sorry about that.
    No worries, PJ_Soul. It's a huge issue and one well worth discussing- maybe on AMT? I'm not upset that you brought it up. And yes, a little counseling (as opposed to ongoing "Hollywood" counseling in which the same issue is discussed over and over with no action taken) is always a good idea but because I trained students in counseling I would probably spend too much of the time critiquing their work, LOL. My main issue right now is stopping the spin cycle and dealing with the anger- not killing the anger- just trying to turn it into something useful and non-destructive. Listening to New York Dolls seems to help. Weird, I know- they just seem to be my on sound track this week.

• OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    You have every right to feel angry Brian, most of us were po'd that this happened when we heard about it and it's a perfectly normal reaction. It's also good to hear that your ok and everything checked out good at the doctors.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

No worries, PJ_Soul. It's a huge issue and one well worth discussing- maybe on AMT? I'm not upset that you brought it up. And yes, a little counseling (as opposed to ongoing "Hollywood" counseling in which the same issue is discussed over and over with no action taken) is always a good idea but because I trained students in counseling I would probably spend too much of the time critiquing their work, LOL. My main issue right now is stopping the spin cycle and dealing with the anger- not killing the anger- just trying to turn it into something useful and non-destructive. Listening to New York Dolls seems to help. Weird, I know- they just seem to be my on sound track this week.

I hope you can not only deal with the anger, but release it too.

Sounds like you're getting there, little by little, and I'm glad music is helping.

Hell, do whatever you must!

I was gonna suggest visiting a local animal shelter if there's one near you. I always find it healing, those interactions, and it gets me outside of myself for awhile, if that makes sense.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

I hope you can not only deal with the anger, but release it too.

Sounds like you're getting there, little by little, and I'm glad music is helping.

Hell, do whatever you must!

I was gonna suggest visiting a local animal shelter if there's one near you. I always find it healing, those interactions, and it gets me outside of myself for awhile, if that makes sense.
    Dude, hedonist's local animal shelter is dead on! Awesome suggestion. Love going and visiting cats in the shelters. :D
    Great idea, though I must say my home is my animal shelter. Annie the (a rescue cat) has been amazing. She has always been a bit of a wild thing (which actually is quite cool) but ever since we got home Early Sunday morning she as been right there with us in such amazing ways. Had to work today so right now home sound sooooo good. Only an hour then we go home and will be smothered by love and a few stray black cat hairs. :-)

Thanks again everyone. Hope you're all doing well.

• njnancynjnancy Posts: 5,096
    I'm so glad you followed up with your neurologist and even gladder that he said you weren't injured badly.
    I think it's natural to go over the incident and the why's and what if's and to feel anger, especially since it just happened. I tend to dwell in my head on things, despite advice to the contrary. i never really come to conclusions; just relive things over and over and wind up feeling angry, sad or worst of all, betrayed. So it is a constant mind fuck with no useful outcome. I don't know if you meditate or do any kind of exercise or yoga - but meditation can quiet and focus your thoughts and stop the spinning for a short time at least. Putting on headphones and blasting whatever music quiets my mind helps too. Don't over think it - do as i say, not as i do. Thanks for the updates. :)>-
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

Great idea, though I must say my home is my animal shelter. Annie the (a rescue cat) has been amazing. She has always been a bit of a wild thing (which actually is quite cool) but ever since we got home Early Sunday morning she as been right there with us in such amazing ways. Had to work today so right now home sound sooooo good. Only an hour then we go home and will be smothered by love and a few stray black cat hairs. :-)

Thanks again everyone. Hope you're all doing well.

Yeah, I hear you. Home is sanctuary and cliched or not, where the heart is - along with the animals. Our two are the best therapy sometimes. Just thought the shelter thing would be good for you AND the cats and dogs...but you do what you gotta do :)